Security utilizing Emags

ParadoxPancake
Byond Username: ParadoxPancake

Security utilizing Emags

Post by ParadoxPancake » #112954

Hey all,

Let me just preface this by stating that it's been a good time playing /tg/ for the last month and a half. SS13 is a great game and /tg/ is a pretty great community all and all. While I mostly play to have fun, I was encouraged to create a topic in FNR about this subject in a previous round on Sybil, so here goes:

Context: I was a traitor Engineer and my objectives were simple. Get station blueprints, escape. I decided to have some fun with it and took a hardsuit, broke into the vaulted part of tech storage from space and snatched the AI circuit board. Went secluded, installed it, subverted the AI to obey me and protect me, etc. Also got a chip for the headset so I could talk to the AI. Great, got the blueprints and then I wanted to shuttle called. Told the AI to create a ruckus by flooding the station with plasma and then calling the shuttle with a law 2 justification. Well, it works. We're waiting and at some point, folks manage to kill the AI. After a bit more waiting, I get arrested. I find out that a Security Guard emagged (which I'm assuming he got off another captured traitor) an engineering borg and told it to kill the AI, which it did. It then informed the guard that I was the one that subverted the AI. This is the part that I was told to report on whether or not it was acceptable for a guard to use one.

I know that individuals are allowed to know about antagonists and there's no real "mystery" surrounding them, but I'm curious about policy on this. Is it acceptable for a security guard to carry that emag around and use it? Wouldn't it be considered contraband? I guess it's kind of a gray area or situational. If the HoS had it locked up but a subverted AI situation comes up and the guard asks to use it and the HoS approves versus the security guard knowing that the item is inherently valuable and what it's capable of, keeping it on their person to use, and then using it on a borg to cut its LawSync and make it loyal to that guard. Clarification on whether or not it's a breach of Rule 3 for Security is kind of what I'm asking for, because it's kind of a bad precedent to say that Security are allowed to keep and use the contraband that they get off of traitors whereas any other non-antag on the ship would be immediately arrested for doing so and, honestly, expecting one security guard to arrest another is probably unlikely because they'll see the use in it themselves.

In any event, it was a fun round all things considered, even though I did get arrested at the end. Any clarification to the above would be appreciated! Thanks.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Security utilizing Emags

Post by lumipharon » #112955

That's perfectly acceptable behavior (rules wise, and IC wise in this case) - just keep in mind if the borg does antag things (killing randoms etc) the non antag sec guy will get banned for it.
If you emag a borg, you are responsible for it's actions.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #112956

I don't see a problem with this. If Security is emagging borgs for no reason then there is a problem, but creative use of captured contraband to destroy a major threat is just clever thinking
because it's kind of a bad precedent to say that Security are allowed to keep and use the contraband that they get off of traitors whereas any other non-antag on the ship would be immediately arrested for doing so and, honestly, expecting one security guard to arrest another is probably unlikely because they'll see the use in it themselves.
So you think they should just let the tools they aquire rot in the contraband locker? They need all the help they can get
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #112960

Scones wrote:I don't see a problem with this. If Security is emagging borgs for no reason then there is a problem, but creative use of captured contraband to destroy a major threat is just clever thinking
because it's kind of a bad precedent to say that Security are allowed to keep and use the contraband that they get off of traitors whereas any other non-antag on the ship would be immediately arrested for doing so and, honestly, expecting one security guard to arrest another is probably unlikely because they'll see the use in it themselves.
So you think they should just let the tools they aquire rot in the contraband locker? They need all the help they can get
Its like the HoS with an ebow wrecking criminals or the captain with revolvers or assistants tackling people down and suicide bombing with minibombs, tools will be used by whoever gets them.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #112963

Space law is not server policy. Security operates under the same rules as the rest of the crew, and the only parts that apply specifically to them are those that relate to the powerful tools they start the round with (in particular the access and weaponry to easily take people out of the round). If they wind up with powerful toys as a result of events during the round, there's no reason to forbid them from using those toys.
ParadoxPancake
Byond Username: ParadoxPancake

Post by ParadoxPancake » #112964

Fair enough! Question answered. Thanks all.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #113130

I dunno, I think there's a common-sense line. Like, emagging a door because there's a murder/syndie/rabid slime/whatever attacking an innocent on the other side and you have no access? OK. Emagging a borg? Ennnnnhh this kind of falls over the line for me.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #113132

bandit wrote:I dunno, I think there's a common-sense line. Like, emagging a door because there's a murder/syndie/rabid slime/whatever attacking an innocent on the other side and you have no access? OK. Emagging a borg? Ennnnnhh this kind of falls over the line for me.
I see absolutely no problem with security emagging the borgs of a subverted AI.

This almost never happens anyway. No idea why someone would want to take out that last bit of free will security has left.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #113137

If there is sufficient IC justification, I can see how emagging borgs would be reasonable. If there was a blob, for instance, emmagging the security borg would give them a laser gun to help fight. The emmagger would be fully responsible for the actions of the borg, however.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #113139

in this case it's functionally identical to cutting the lawsync wire, anyway. the same thing could have happened to a borg that wasn't emagged but was simply unslaved

"borg tell me who subverted the AI law two"
"okay"
"borg the AI is harmful, go kill it"
"okay"

it would accept both commands as long as you said you wouldn't kill the guy when you caught him. most borgs would probably comply.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #113207

Borg probably shouldn't tell you who the subverter was though.

Odds are, he's going to get harmed if his name is dropped.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #113217

Unless security has been proven to be harmful in the past, you can expect them to nonharmfully detain and perma the guy.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #113220

As far as I'm aware, it's not meta to assume harm is going to result from such an action.

So, I'll sit by and wait for the once every 3 months this sort of situation comes up.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #113224

You can assume either way but you'll want to be consistent with your reasoning and thinking.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #113225

Tell security the name of tator tot, he'll get dunked hard
Don't tell, he doesn't get dunked hard

Pretty simple.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #113252

CPTANT wrote:
bandit wrote:I dunno, I think there's a common-sense line. Like, emagging a door because there's a murder/syndie/rabid slime/whatever attacking an innocent on the other side and you have no access? OK. Emagging a borg? Ennnnnhh this kind of falls over the line for me.
I see absolutely no problem with security emagging the borgs of a subverted AI.

This almost never happens anyway. No idea why someone would want to take out that last bit of free will security has left.
Oh wait I missed the part where AI was subverted because I'm a dumbfuck. Yeah that's cool.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #113834

If someone emags me and then gives me no orders and I start murderboning, who is legally responsible?

edit:A nonantag emags me
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #113837

Probably you, for putting your syndicate agent at risk of being murdered for creating a murderborg, violating your laws.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #113841

Saegrimr wrote:Probably you, for putting your syndicate agent at risk of being murdered for creating a murderborg, violating your laws.
What if you don't murderborg and one of the non-humans kills your syndicate agent?

You're violating your laws through inaction.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #113845

Then you're free to murder the fuck out of that person.

There's a huge difference between "No orders, time to kill everyone" and "Owner is being harmed, time to kill them."
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #114148

So if you murder people with total discretion it's fine?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #114153

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:So if you murder people with total discretion it's fine?
Treat them the same as lizards under asimov. Don't kill them without reason, but as soon as a lizard harms a human or you are ordered to kill one, harmbaton it to death and toss it out an airlock.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.