Holoparasites and Asimov

Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Holoparasites and Asimov

Post by Tsaricide » #124358

Should silicons know right away that harming the parasites will harm the human?

Currently there isn't anyway to disable a parasite unless the host is dead right?

Will they be treated like rampaging hulks or will Kor make some sort of code change?

Had a round earlier today where an AI set it's turrets to lethal to shoot my parasite and kill me, he then admitted it later in ghost chat.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Holoparasites and Asimov

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #124362

I think it makes sense to not "know" that killing the spirit will kill a human. Otherwise silicons are fucked since they can't even stun the spirits.

Plus it's a big meta logic jump to know how the spirits work.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #124363

the way i see it is that when the parasites start causing harm, they need to be stopped, so attacking the nonhuman holoparasites is necessary. also my headcannon was that holoparasites are "spoopy syndicate tech" that hasnt been deployed before, so the crew, let alone the silicons, dont know exactly what they are/what the entail.

seems like a bit of a grey area, though.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #124366

Grey area as noted above but Spirits should be free game.

I can see it going either way, especially if the Traitor informs Silicon's of how the Spirit harms the user when it takes damage. But I can see it being very annoying that a Silicon can't do anything to help, dammed if you do dammed if you don't.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #124373

Is someone who's filled with hologram projecting nanites still human though?
Do we consider augmented people human? I mean, Cyborgs still have human brains, so technically they could be considered heavily augmented humans, couldn't they?

If asmiov protection doesn't extend over cyborgs, it shouldn't extend over Holoparasite users.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #124378

I think it's fine for the borgs to kill the parasite and then go "oh no the human died mysteriously" otherwise they're stuck doing nothing but watching while it attacks people.

So yeah like hulks.
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #124382

DaemonBomb wrote:Is someone who's filled with hologram projecting nanites still human though?
Do we consider augmented people human? I mean, Cyborgs still have human brains, so technically they could be considered heavily augmented humans, couldn't they?

If asmiov protection doesn't extend over cyborgs, it shouldn't extend over Holoparasite users.
I was actually considering the whole fully augmented human thing the other day, since at that point you're basically internal organs (I think), eyes, and a brain.
My guess is the whole part where free will stops, if you were a borg without laws to follow? Probably close enough to human.

Holoparasites are definitely not human, but to say attacking them when it causes harm to humans is about the same as "I was just releasing plasma, the humans dieing is a side effect."
So you stun the user, right? The only way to stop them is to kill them, I dragged my in-crit host to medbay and recalled before anybody could see me just to ensure he got medical attention before he died.
You're gonna have a fun time as a borg trying to convince all the other humans around not to kill the guy you just stunned.

Problem is they're already strong as fuck, and to give them asimov protection as well is even crazier.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #124417

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that it could be argued that the host is just as non-human as the parasite, because they are a single living creature with two consciousnesses.

In any case, the AI won't know about any of this unless the host PMs the AI the holoparasite's lore or something... in that case, would the AI be allowed to assume the host is lying about the connection?
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #124460

Pretty much what Kor said, but if the parasite recalls, you still need to get the host medical attention if they are in crit. Also anyone attacking the host directly is harming a human.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #124485

"Oh No, that human died!" seems reasonable to me. Also I guess I can assume that a Borg could also believe that Traitors lie, and that syndicate lies are harmful and not to be believed to prevent a conflict with being told that killing the parasite kills the dude.
EDIT: But I suppose Palpy's statement would partially override that. Kill the parasite with that assumption then drag the traitor to medbay and unceremoniously dump there with security alerted?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #124487

DaemonBomb wrote:Yeah, but what I'm saying is that it could be argued that the host is just as non-human as the parasite, because they are a single living creature with two consciousnesses.

In any case, the AI won't know about any of this unless the host PMs the AI the holoparasite's lore or something... in that case, would the AI be allowed to assume the host is lying about the connection?
Holoparasites do not dehuman you.

Get your robotic hands out of that Pandora's box of "WELL WHAT DEFINES HUMANS HUH"?

human: mob/living/carbon/human , mutantrace human, no Hulk mutation, no laws saying otherwise
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #124500

ThanatosRa wrote:"Oh No, that human died!" seems reasonable to me. Also I guess I can assume that a Borg could also believe that Traitors lie, and that syndicate lies are harmful and not to be believed to prevent a conflict with being told that killing the parasite kills the dude.
"Borg, stop attacking my holoparasite" = a law 2 order. This is all anyone needs to know on the subject.
EDIT: But I suppose Palpy's statement would partially override that. Kill the parasite with that assumption then drag the traitor to medbay and unceremoniously dump there with security alerted?
Funny, I don't remember where silicons are allowed to harm humans as long as they take them to medbay afterward.

Goddammit, stop looking for loopholes to justify your validhunting. If you want to knock heads, play security or assistant or anything where you are not explicitly commanded out of the box not to harm people.
Remove the AI.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #124502

>stopping the alien robot from ORAORAORAing everyone to death is validunting

And killing the parasite kills the host, so you're under no obligation to take them to medbay unless you want to clone and arrest them.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #124529

ThanatosRa wrote: But I suppose Palpy's statement would partially override that. Kill the parasite with that assumption then drag the traitor to medbay and unceremoniously dump there with security alerted?
If the human is dead, you give 0 fucks about the body under asimov.
What I meant by that statement is if the host drops to crit and the parasite recalls, you are obligated to get said host to medbay and healed. If the parasite stays out, you can continue to attack it, as it is obviously harming the host by its presence.

Rockpecker, we are not protecting guardians under law 1 of asimov. Sure the traitor can law 2 you to not attack it, but if it then goes and starts attacking humans, law 1 overrides that. Hurting the host DIRECTLY as a means of destroying the Guardian is not allowed. Harming the guardian is allowed however.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #124533

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Get your robotic hands out of that Pandora's box of "WELL WHAT DEFINES HUMANS HUH"?

human: mob/living/carbon/human , mutantrace human, no Hulk mutation, no laws saying otherwise
Defining humans by what path they are in the game's code is literally the definition of metagaming.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #124537

Uwotm8?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #124576

palpatine213 wrote:Pretty much what Kor said, but if the parasite recalls, you still need to get the host medical attention if they are in crit. Also anyone attacking the host directly is harming a human.
We'll go with this.

Not the first time we let players handwave and be temporarily dumb in a server where characters are technically allowed to know everything. We make hulks lose humanity temporarily despite genetics powers giving humans equally strange abilities, we make atmos techs lose their higher brain functions temporarily when they think about how smart it would be to just disconnect a gas tank of toxic gas from the station distro asap, and we can make robits temporarily forget that hosts will be harmed if their parasites are harmed.

IC fluff isn't an issue here, it's whether treating OOC mechanics a certain way will cause more hassle and holoparasites being immune to asimov on top of their abilities seem like too much hassle for the price of 12 TC.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #124617

bandit wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Get your robotic hands out of that Pandora's box of "WELL WHAT DEFINES HUMANS HUH"?

Defining humans by what path they are in the game's code is literally the definition of metagaming.
No it's not.

That's the definition of human as enforced by the badmins.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #124694

Except it isn't even that. Lizards fall under that path IIRC.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #124732

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:That's the definition of human as enforced by the badmins.
*to the tune of "Macarena"*
AYYYY EL EM AY AOOOOO
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #124751

bandit wrote:Except it isn't even that. Lizards fall under that path IIRC.
Saegrimr wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:That's the definition of human as enforced by the badmins.
*to the tune of "Macarena"*
AYYYY EL EM AY AOOOOO
Lizardpeople have the lizardperson mutantrace datum, as do flypeople, jellypeople, golems, and podpeople with their respective mutation
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #124759

You know what else is there? Corpses. Still not a concern of asimov as of our server policy.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #124768

Saegrimr wrote:You know what else is there? Corpses. Still not a concern of asimov as of our server policy.
Are corpses human? Do you have to prevent harm occurring to them?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #124772

You have no obligation to protect a corpse as asimov.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #124911

just go back to making them magical and have the ritual make you nonhuman.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #124912

Saegrimr wrote:You have no obligation to protect a corpse as asimov.
do you at least have to get them cloned?.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #124953

tuypo1 wrote:
Nope. You aren't obligated to get them cloned.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #125002

palpatine213 wrote:
tuypo1 wrote:
Because a corpse, being a dead human, is in a maximum state of injury and harm, and therefore no further damage to it does anything.

Also you should try to stop MDs from defibrilating, since that creates an imminently dying human, instead of an unharmable dead one.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #125005

By that logic, you should bolt down and depower Genetics, because cloning a human puts them in a state of harm (clone damage). Try that as an AI and see how long it takes you to get lynched.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #125008

TheNightingale wrote:By that logic, you should bolt down and depower Genetics, because cloning a human puts them in a state of harm (clone damage). Try that as an AI and see how long it takes you to get lynched.
Cloning a human doesn't do any damage to them, except for the tiny chance that the power cuts out before the 60% mark.

Defibs restore someone to deep crit on the brink of death taking constant damage. (unless the MDs are actually not braindead boogerbreathers and stick the corpse with the meds first)
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #125014

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Defibs restore someone to deep crit on the brink of death taking constant damage. (unless the MDs are actually not braindead boogerbreathers and stick the corpse with the meds first)
If a cyborg interferes with me for defibbing someone, I will personally metagrudge that cyborg until the end of days.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125033

TheNightingale wrote:By that logic, you should bolt down and depower Genetics, because cloning a human puts them in a state of harm (clone damage). Try that as an AI and see how long it takes you to get lynched.
That's getting into symantics and rule 1 territory.

Everyone realises asimov is flawed. Everyone also (should) realise this is a game.
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125098

palpatine213 wrote:
tuypo1 wrote:
i have no words to express how butfuck retarded this is it means that if somebody walks into the containment field or something you can say fuck that guy hes an arsehole im not going to get him cloned a human has to get them cloned under law one a silicon has much looser esclation rules though. Corpses not having to get cloned just doesent work with other lawsets rule 4.1
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #125120

tuypo1 wrote:
palpatine213 wrote:
tuypo1 wrote:
i have no words to express how butfuck retarded this is it means that if somebody walks into the containment field or something you can say fuck that guy hes an arsehole im not going to get him cloned a human has to get them cloned under law one a silicon has much looser esclation rules though. Corpses not having to get cloned just doesent work with other lawsets rule 4.1
Silicons not caring about what happens to corpses is definitely A Thing,
tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #125158

yeah but its stupid and not just for the reasons above.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #125406

tuypo1 wrote:
palpatine213 wrote:
tuypo1 wrote:
Humans not being obliged to clone each other seems to work well enough. How is it buttfuck retarded that silicons aren't obliged to? You do it if you want, and that's fine.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #129859

If a corpse is considered irrelevant under law 1 then they can choose for themselves whether or not to fetch/clone a corpse unless a human has given them an order one way or the other (law 2) or the corpse is in a location that poses a risk to the borg (law 3).

Edit: this was actually covered in one of the stories. A robot was created with enhanced hardware/firmware, but also flawed in that its laws were fucked. It appeared identical to all the other robots and was following orders perfectly in order to blend in.

In order to locate it, a human was placed in front of the robots, next to a piece of equipment that the humans told the robots to stay away from as it generated powerful magnetic fields that would destroy any robot that approached. They then dropped something heavy on the human.

The new robot, with his improved sensors, could see that the magnetic field wasn't enough to harm it, immediately leapt to save the human (law 1, overriding he law 2 order to stay away) - the other robots didn't react at all, not because of the law 2 order, but because they believed that the field made saving the human impossible either way (thus rendering law 1 irrelevant) the law 3 directive to preserve themselves by staying out of the "magnetic field" directed their actions.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #130083

Screemonster wrote:If a corpse is considered irrelevant under law 1 then they can choose for themselves whether or not to fetch/clone a corpse unless a human has given them an order one way or the other (law 2) or the corpse is in a location that poses a risk to the borg (law 3).

Edit: this was actually covered in one of the stories. A robot was created with enhanced hardware/firmware, but also flawed in that its laws were fucked. It appeared identical to all the other robots and was following orders perfectly in order to blend in.

In order to locate it, a human was placed in front of the robots, next to a piece of equipment that the humans told the robots to stay away from as it generated powerful magnetic fields that would destroy any robot that approached. They then dropped something heavy on the human.

The new robot, with his improved sensors, could see that the magnetic field wasn't enough to harm it, immediately leapt to save the human (law 1, overriding he law 2 order to stay away) - the other robots didn't react at all, not because of the law 2 order, but because they believed that the field made saving the human impossible either way (thus rendering law 1 irrelevant) the law 3 directive to preserve themselves by staying out of the "magnetic field" directed their actions.

it was also implied that that was not the normal reaction for an asimov robot, seeing as nestor-2 persuaded the other nestors otherwise to act that way against how they normally would, as his modified laws wouldn't let him try to save the human in that scenario
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #130105

This is one of those issues arising from being a light/no RP server. Non-antags are allowed to instantly recognize antag items and kill whoever carries them, the same thing should apply here. We can't have a double standard, either you know everything about the antag or you are oblivious.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #130140

Ahammer18 wrote:This is one of those issues arising from being a light/no RP server. Non-antags are allowed to instantly recognize antag items and kill whoever carries them, the same thing should apply here. We can't have a double standard, either you know everything about the antag or you are oblivious.
If you don't like the (flimsy) roleplay justification just accept it's an OOC decision that's in response to how the game mechanics work
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #130146

Kor wrote:
Ahammer18 wrote:This is one of those issues arising from being a light/no RP server. Non-antags are allowed to instantly recognize antag items and kill whoever carries them, the same thing should apply here. We can't have a double standard, either you know everything about the antag or you are oblivious.
If you don't like the (flimsy) roleplay justification just accept it's an OOC decision that's in response to how the game mechanics work
It will also be the one instance in the entire game where the crew aarent assumed to know exactly what an anrag or antag item is ans how to fihgt against/use it.

If they don't know that harming it harms a human, how do they know its not a human in a costume, or, say, full of captive humans?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #130152

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Kor wrote:
It will also be the one instance in the entire game where the crew aarent assumed to know exactly what an anrag or antag item is ans how to fihgt against/use it.

If they don't know that harming it harms a human, how do they know its not a human in a costume, or, say, full of captive humans?
It's a singular exception because the game mechanic is unique.

The same way we have an exception for hulk, despite no other mutation getting the same treatment. It's because it's how the rule needs to be to make the game work.

SS13 is a massively complex game with a lot of different systems designed by different people. Sometimes those systems clash and we have to make a rule to help it run smoothly.

Do any of you guys actually think the game would be improved if the borgs weren't allowed to attack an enemy you can't arrest or is this just arguing for the sake of arguing/some mental exercise about rules lawyering?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #130159

I'm siding with Kor on this one, making it so borgs have to protect the holoparasite and prevent them from getting hurt would be ridiculously frustrating
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #130168

But the logical way to resolve that problem would be to make the user of the holoparasite nonhuman. It's clearly got some sort of techno-biological relationship with the person, given it can literally hide inside them and then summon itself at will. It wouldn't be that big a stretch. It's what was done for hulk, and it's worked there.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #130250

Secborgs are already a hefty counter to Stands, especially if the user doesn't have a flash or the Ion rifle

No point in making it worse
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #130568

Cheimon wrote:But the logical way to resolve that problem would be to make the user of the holoparasite nonhuman. It's clearly got some sort of techno-biological relationship with the person, given it can literally hide inside them and then summon itself at will. It wouldn't be that big a stretch. It's what was done for hulk, and it's worked there.
Then actually have it make them nonhuman, rather than just saying "deffers not human now cos you stuck nanites in you"
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #130614

There needs to be a ruling on this, and I'm leaning towards holoparasite users being nonhuman.

Earlier today I was AI and a guy with a chaos parasite killed a majority of the station in spite of my best efforts to lock him down. If he were nonhuman, I could have played much more rough with him, and probably killed them before long.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #130617

Takeguru wrote:Secborgs are already a hefty counter to Stands, especially if the user doesn't have a flash or the Ion rifle

No point in making it worse
How do secborgs have a counter to stands?
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #130631

By being able to tank the hits and having free reign to beat the stand itself into submission.
The fire damage from Chaos does nothing to it, for instance.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #132744

so i just got out of a round where this issue came up, so can we clear up once and for all whether silicons need to obey confirmed holoparasite users / how aggressive they should be towards them.

currently i thought we considered them similarly to hulks, but i was told its a grey area. i think its important we really articulate a ruling on this.