Robotocists making unslaved borgs fnr

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Robotocists making unslaved borgs fnr

Post by CPTANT » #153241

Bottom post of the previous page:

The new hype for roboticsts seems to be to simply not make any slaved borgs at all and instead unslave every borg they make from roundstart.

This completely fucks over any traitor ai because they have literally zero defence against unslaved engineering borgs. They also lose all the borgs they would have under their control otherwise.

The only reason to do this is the meta information that AI's can be rogue and that unslaved borgs are always loyal.

If have however seen no policy regarding this.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Robotocists making unslaved borgs fnr

Post by Zilenan91 » #160966

Well yeah but unsyncing secborgs meant one less infinite ammo laser gun against you
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #160997

You don't need ammo when you can have the hole in the floor kill for you.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #161008

Unsyncing borgs is fine - when you have a reason. The AI is acting really, really shifty ("I'm sorry, lizard, I don't know how that door got electrified"; "Oh, those rows of bolted doors in my core? Interior decorating", etc); it's actively rogue and doing stuff; and so on. Even if the AI Upload board is gone from Tech Storage, maybe. But when you don't have any reason to suspect the AI might be rogue, taking measures to stop its potential rogue power is metagaming; what's different between this and replacing the plasma valve with a manual valve?
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #161018

On the one hand this should be treat the same as ai proofing atmos

But on the other I wouldn't want to block people's abilities to have independent borgs for shenanigans, like building all sec borgs with robosec or paladin whilst leaving the ai Asimov
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #161084

Saegrimr wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Now that secborgs hopefully aren't a thing anymore there isn't a whole lot of point in doing this.
An unsynced engiborg is worse than a secborg to a rogue AI. No amount of door depowering will slow it down.
Last night a malf mediborg dunked the entire sec team.
--Crocodillo

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #161087

I played two rounds as malf ai last night:

First round, I got cucked by an unslaved borg that was created well in advance of my going loud.
Second round, same story. Borg pops online and immediately starts screaming that I'm rouge.

To my knowledge, none of the responsible parties were punished. This can not stand.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #161092

or one more
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #161094

cmspano wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Now that secborgs hopefully aren't a thing anymore there isn't a whole lot of point in doing this.
An unsynced engiborg is worse than a secborg to a rogue AI. No amount of door depowering will slow it down.
Last night a malf mediborg dunked the entire sec team.
To be fair I used my charm to get away with most killings.

Also Kor told me the hacked acid was shit after I tried spraying someone 15 times. (I thought you guys changed it to something decent, like cholal or something)
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #161095

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I played two rounds as malf ai last night:

First round, I got cucked by an unslaved borg that was created well in advance of my going loud.
Second round, same story. Borg pops online and immediately starts screaming that I'm rouge.

To my knowledge, none of the responsible parties were punished. This can not stand.

I was that borg. The first round was valid. Someone asked you why atmos was bolted, you didn't respond, people started yelling about ai rogue. I happened to go into robotics for repairs and they flashed me, pulled my brain out, and rebuilt me unsynced because they thought you were rogue.

The second round that whiney guy who got banned built me unsynced 4NoRaison at all. After the fact I felt kinda bad but at the time I was Asimov and you were talking with the other borgs about venting plasma so I had to say something.

Round 2 you definitely got shit on, round 1 was just unlucky that they noticed you fucking with atmos and killed me.
--Crocodillo

WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #161096

Shad0vvs wrote: Also Kor told me the hacked acid was shit after I tried spraying someone 15 times. (I thought you guys changed it to something decent, like cholal or something)
You know, I ran into that too. One time I was a Rev chef, with a few Rev botanists to work with. They made 100 potency death nettle and hooked me up with gloves so I spent like 10 minutes grinding it up, filtering out the other chems, and filling their spraybottles with acid. Then I sprayed an officer with it in a fight and it didn't do shit.
--Crocodillo

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #161097

things I could implement:
1. unslaved borgs don't have access to Binary
2. unslaved borgs don't have access to non-public doors
3. unslaved borgs have reduced tools
4. unslaved borgs are targeted by AI core turrets
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #161099

I think precedent that unsyncing borgs for absolutely no reason is on the same level as ripping up atmos valves at round start would be good.

One code idea though, maybe allow the AI to be aware of unsynced borgs like their slaved borgs. Give them the message that happens when they come online too. At least then the AI knows that the borgs exist.
--Crocodillo

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #161102

Unslaved cyborgs are still a 100% counter to rogue AIs, even if the Roboticists do have reason to believe they're rogue. Giving malfunctioning or traitor AIs the ability to remotely detonate unslaved cyborgs would help.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #161106

iamgoofball wrote:things I could implement:
1. unslaved borgs don't have access to Binary
2. unslaved borgs don't have access to non-public doors
3. unslaved borgs have reduced tools
4. unslaved borgs are targeted by AI core turrets
1. Definitely a good change. I'd say the largest issue with unsynced borgs is one coming on line right as a malf ai is talking about malf stuff on binary. Really sucky and shouldn't happen.
2. Mayyybee - syndi borgs for definate.
3. Nah
4. Yes, especially syndiborgs.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #161118

1. Not a bad idea at all
2. Bad Idea, what if you get borged and they unslave you, now you can't do shit. Doing this to syndie borgs is a good idea. Make them emag.
3. Nah
4. Probably a good idea. An unslaved borg has no honest reason to be in the AI Core. They aren't slaved to that AI, they don't care about the AI, and their laws don't require them to protect or interact with the AI at all.
--Crocodillo

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #161119

iamgoofball wrote: 4. unslaved borgs are targeted by AI core turrets
Winner
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #161120

Oh, maybe remove AI satellite access from unslaved borgs. I don't know if this would stop a borg from using the AI's flash but that should be coded too. One of the ways I was able to overcome Atlanta-Ned is that I could trigger his flash myself. He flashed me once but there's a like a 8 second cooldown on the wall mounted flasher. I backed off, flashed it, and ran in and welded him up while the flasher was on cooldown.
--Crocodillo

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #161129

Unsyncing a Borg goes both ways. It's shielded from a poorly programmed AI but it's also harder to detect a fault since the AI can't check their connection via the robotics console or lock them down if they act in a faulty fashion. Technically anyone with robotics access can locks Borg down but the one of the reasons the AI exists is specifically to keep cyborgs in line.
The AI "can" check if they're emagged or not by using the cyborg upload console but if there's a lot of unsynced borgs roaming around, one can slip through the net without notice, and subverted borg's will escape scrutiny entirely.

The AI is the manager of station systems and isolating the AI from those systems means that faults will go longer without notice. Plus a subverted Cyborg (not emagged) is impossible to detect unless you catch them in the act, assuming the subverted, unsynced borg hasn't already killed the AI.

IC-wise it's suspicious as fuck to make systems isolated from the station's computer, especially something as delicate and valuable and dangerous as a cyborg. I treat it as akin to cutting security cameras in secure areas so you should have a good reason why you're doing it.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #161181

Atlanta-Ned wrote: To my knowledge, none of the responsible parties were punished. This can not stand.
The person who built the unslaved borg the second round got banned later after a long argument in OOC.

And you can't really punish the borg for being unslaved
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #161195

Archie700 wrote:And you can't really punish the borg for being unslaved
Yeah this, borgs often get the shit end of the stick but at least they're usually not responsible for following really shitty orders. That's on the people abusing them.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #163307

Just give traitor AIs the ability to resume they borgs/steal them from non traitor AIs and the problem is solved.

Much yes on unslaved borgs being targeted by turrets though.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #163632

I think making the turrets target unslaved borgs, and, if possible, remove AI upload/satellite access from unslaved borgs would be good changes. I dunno how integrated the code for borg control of doors is but I imagine you could put a condition on it.
--Crocodillo

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #163905

It'd have to be really snowflake-y code to work. You'll have to ask a coder on the technical side of things but my gut tells me few if any coders will try to code it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #163927

yeah, turret code afaik is really awful and no fun to tweak

>make the turrets target unslaved borgs
the only part of this i do not like is that now you can't kill an AI by emagging a borg and having the borg stab it in the back
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #163946

Didn't we get the much better faction flag system to cover simple mob aggression? Man this would be so much simpler if turrets were mobs and only slaved borgs and AI were in their faction.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #164218

+1 on the turrets targeting unslaved borgs. Nerfs syndicate borgs too
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #164245

I approve of that idea.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #164254

AFAIK turrets should be able to target things based on factions or something, which is why syndi shuttle turrets don't turn the nuke ops into red mist.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #164302

afaik the Nuke Op turrets just check if the Ops have agent IDs worn on them, not that they're in an Operative faction
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS