Nuke Shuttle Discovery Clarification

Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Nuke Shuttle Discovery Clarification

Post by Cheridan » #218117

Historically, it has been against the rules to go out into space with intent to find the nuke ops shuttle. This made sense, considering that in early revisions the op shuttle was always in the same place.
However, advances in the game now let you move the shuttle to a number of different locations, and the shuttle is protected by powerful turrets that can shoot you off screen.

The turrets were explicitly added as a gameplay-side solution to the previous rules-side solution. However, there's still a lot of confusion about the legality of looking for the shuttle, even among admins, with many of them still considering it an offense.

Personally I think it's a dinosaur of a rule that should no longer be enforced. However if it is going to be enforced then the turrets should get removed as the shuttle is being protected by admins instead. Either way the muddy waters here need to get cleared.

:newcop:
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Re: Nuke Shuttle Discovery Clarification

Post by Incoming » #218120

Clearly the solution here is to make the turrets shoot bullets that ban you.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #218122

If a group of terrorists is boarding the station, it makes sense to try and find how they got there. I'm for removing the rule.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #218129

The shuttle may be moved to a variety of locatiosn, but as far as I know these locations are still the same between rounds.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #218134

I think it should still be considered metagaming if they search for the shuttle without knowledge that there are nuke operatives on the station.

Once it's already confirmed though, it should be free game.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #218137

Sligneris wrote:I think it should still be considered metagaming if they search for the shuttle without knowledge that there are nuke operatives on the station.

Once it's already confirmed though, it should be free game.
basically the "may not pre-emptively search for traitors" that every other antag gets then
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #218148

Having 5 people immediately fly off into space whenever ops are confirmed so they can cheese the turrets, space the nuke and ruin the round while the ops are still fighting for the disk has consistently shown to be the most boring shit
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #218149

The turrets kill you in like 3 hits, how do you even cheese them
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #218168

If I recall correctly you can use displaced dense objects (like girders and computer frames) as a bullet shield to creep up on the turrets.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #218177

ops shuttle walls/doors should be indestructible again so this rule can be removed.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #218239

Alternatively, ops can git gud
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #218254

Luke Cox wrote:Alternatively, ops can git gud
ohw yeah, because having to leave someone to guard the shuttle the entire time is so exiting for gameplay :roll:
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #218263

CPTANT wrote:ops shuttle walls/doors should be indestructible again so this rule can be removed.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #218300

the rule was papering over cracks in the code, and we can't really remove it until either the turrets are properly deadly or the walls are indestructible again.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #218302

Saegrimr wrote:
CPTANT wrote:ops shuttle walls/doors should be indestructible again so this rule can be removed.
do this please
Shaps wrote:Having 5 people immediately fly off into space whenever ops are confirmed so they can cheese the turrets, space the nuke and ruin the round while the ops are still fighting for the disk has consistently shown to be the most boring shit
also this. it absolutely ruins the round, extremely shitty thing to do. i say keep enforcing the rule unless all the ops are dead/the ops lead you there/we update the shuttle to have unbreakable walls.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #218308

How about the following - the syndicate shuttle walls are made immune to welding, but can still be broken by explosives, so that you can still break into the shuttle with enough prep work.

That way, you need multiple things: EVA suit, ability to maneuver in space, a location of the shuttle, a cover from the turrets, and a bomb to destroy the shuttle walls. Making "backdooring" a strategy possible to pull off, but unlikely to happen on regular basis.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #218310

oranges wrote:the rule was papering over cracks in the code, and we can't really remove it until either the turrets are properly deadly or the walls are indestructible again.
The former is by far the more preferable option of the two. If turrets are made un-cheeseable and you survive them, you deserve to win.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #218350

I've found it by pinpointer after disk got stolen and I've never run in to trouble after explaining i used a pinpointer.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #218360

That's because you're using the pinpointer for its intended purpose. Circling the station as soon as Ops are shouted over comms to check the 6 or so places the shuttle might be is shit, that's what needs to be prevented here.
KAP
Byond Username: Kaptin alexander

Post by KAP » #218416

I've almost been hit by the shuttle a few times as CE moving to solars (actually I think I've been hit once too).

I think the rule ought to be removed, because if I have a chance to get hit by the shuttle with no warning and killed instantly, then the ops deserve to get shit on with no warning as well.

Random chance can be a bitch, but the game isn't the same if these things can't happen.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #218417

KAP wrote:I've almost been hit by the shuttle a few times as CE moving to solars (actually I think I've been hit once too).

I think the rule ought to be removed, because if I have a chance to get hit by the shuttle with no warning and killed instantly, then the ops deserve to get shit on with no warning as well.

Random chance can be a bitch, but the game isn't the same if these things can't happen.
Play more until you see a handful of rounds where some chucklefuck yoinks the nuke and you're sitting in deadchat for an hour then come back to this thread
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #218463

If turrets are too easy to game give it temporary lifespan carp spawners or some shit. Get in the fight cayenne!

If watching the shuttle is too dull for a player to do an entire round introduce roles that you can ghost out of (or if you idle) then some other spirit can crawl on in or something.
Step near the shuttle ghost zips into the warborg or whatever that can only draw power from the shuttle and blows your face off.

Make shuttle placement more free form don't let it ram but if it's not going to hit shit let it go in.

Put super nasty defensive tricks on the ops menu for stupid low prices like 1 TC for shuttle exclusive super nasty shit like I dunno a shuttle placable camouflaged pop turret or some shit. Shuttle mines, shuttle bees, sending a fake shuttle with defences and nothing else in it to the station. Did the ops have spare change? Feeling lucky?

Make it a warship/deathtrap not irrelevant due to policy. THIS EXACT SAME POLICY EXISTED WITH INVULNERABLE WALLS AND SHUTTERS!
That policy has always been a crying shame you might as well be spawning nukes into space fully suited. For all the interaction the shuttle has under current rules it might as well be the invisible sun.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #218464

Because, again, people completely sidestepping the conflict in the game by just stealing the nuke is incredibly boring and cheesy
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #218465

Put conflict at that point is what I am saying.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #218506

Shaps wrote:Having 5 people immediately fly off into space whenever ops are confirmed so they can cheese the turrets, space the nuke and ruin the round while the ops are still fighting for the disk has consistently shown to be the most boring shit
Could have the nuke locked away behind some shutters that only ops can open. Plus more people fucking off to find the ship means less people on the station to defend whoever's carrying the disk
Slettal
Byond Username: Slettal

Post by Slettal » #218541

Why is it so important for you to be allowed to raid the shuttle?
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #218646

Slettal wrote:Why is it so important for you to be allowed to raid the shuttle?
Valids, duh.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #218945

Counterpoint: It is also thoroughly boring for everyone to just sit around twiddling their thumbs once it is confirmed the captain is dead. If this were a more RP-based server this is where people would coordinate escapes to mining, but no one really does that.

One code-based idea is possibly to have a remote camera and/or remote control for the shuttle. so that the ops can at least get an idea of what's going on. We have both camera bugs and remotes already in the codebase so I can't imagine it would be that difficult.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #218964

we could always give it a cloaking device
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #218967

What? Jesus christ goof. A fucking cloaking device? You do know that someone will HAVE to code that, and if it is coded then how the fuck could ANYONE see it? Plus the sheer amount of bugs, if someone goes on solars they would die instantly without knowing what the fuck is going on. And you wont fix it saying that 'ha dude just dodge the invisible shuttle git gud lol'.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #218970

actually a cloaking device sounds neat
Spoiler:
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #219268

It's all free-game as long as it makes sense ICly.
I've hit nuke ops shuttles while just free-floating off into space, trying to actually fuck off into space, not knowing about ops.

If the ops want to leave their most valuable possession outside of their reach (the nuke) and in their shuttle, then let them stupidly do that. In my days we brought the nuke onboard always.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #219272

TheColdTurtle wrote:What? Jesus christ goof. A fucking cloaking device? You do know that someone will HAVE to code that, and if it is coded then how the fuck could ANYONE see it? Plus the sheer amount of bugs, if someone goes on solars they would die instantly without knowing what the fuck is going on. And you wont fix it saying that 'ha dude just dodge the invisible shuttle git gud lol'.
HAHAHAHAHAHA How the fuck is the nuke ops shuttle real hahahahahhaa :honkman: just walk away from the solars :honkman: close your cablecoils hahahahahahaha
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #219276

I WAS JUST FLYING THROUGH PREDETERMINED POINTS IN SPACE FOR NO REASON AND I WAS GRIEF KILLED BY INVISIBLE SYNDICATES FOR NO REASON I AWAIT MY APOLOGY AND FOR ALL CODERS AND PLAYERS INVOLVED TO BE BANNED

also cloaking device sounds p cool
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #219392

As long as the shuttle can only be sent to those 6 locations, the rule must stand. The turrets can 3-shot you, true, but lavaland bosses can do that too and are killed constantly all the same even without cheesing them, and it's worth noting that the kind of players who go looking for the op shuttle are also those more likely to cheese stuff. Removing the rule will force ops to take the nuke onboard, this is a sure way to lose and will result in a steady drop in ops win rates. Go ahead and test it if you want, you'll see that this is what will happen.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #219428

Sligneris wrote:How about the following - the syndicate shuttle walls are made immune to welding, but can still be broken by explosives, so that you can still break into the shuttle with enough prep work.
I still think this and a strong turret buff would be solution enough.
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #219593

How to fuck over ops every time if this is put in.

Step 1: make 6 maxcaps if you haven't done so by the time ops get on the station (seriously what are you doing?)
Step 2: grab a bag, a suicided body ( a monkey works too), and 7 signalers.
Step 3: put the signalers on the bombs
Step 4: put the bombs in the bag
Step 5: put the bag on the body
Step 6: get a hard suit or Eva suit
Step 7: find the shuttle
Step 8: get to the aft part of the shuttle off screen so you don't get shot
Step 9: drift the body to the shuttle while off screen and wait like 20 seconds
Step 10:
*BEEP BEEP*
*BEEP BEEP*
*BEEP BEEP*
*BEEP BEEP*
*BEEP BEEP*
*BEEP BEEP*
Step 11: get the nuke and space it if it is not borked
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #219596

Not everyone makes six maxcaps roundstart and responds to every conflict with bombs right away, yackemflam. If it becomes less such a problem, walld could be made immune to explosions too.