Migrants

A place to record your ideas for the game.

How should this be implemented?

It shouldn't be
17%
As a minor thing in the current mining asteroid
17%
As a full new Z level/away mission style thing
31%
As a full new Z level/away mission style thing combined with mining/explorer job
36%

Total votes: 36

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Migrants

Post by onleavedontatme » #86094

One of my favorite features from SS13: Edgy Russian Edition is the ability to respawn as a "migrant" in a wilderness outside the fortress/station. If you can survive the perilous trip you get processed by the gatekeeper/HoP and can join the round again. They can also act as a third faction/antagonist.

I think it'd be an interesting feature to add to SS13 in some capacity, as all our respawn methods are currently reliant on departments being around to activate them, and most are pretty lackluster.

So my vague idea for "migrants" in SS13 would be

-There is a crashed plasmaman ship/secret base randomly hidden on the mining asteroid (or a rock golem nest)
-The base/nest is powered by an anomaly core or something else science wants
-The plasmamen/golems can fuel some kind of spawner (mine plasma, create plasmamen) for their species that ghosts can click on to easily get back in the round
-Have some way of expanding their base, building new gear, etc
-The captain/chieftain will get an objective, and sets the rules for their team. Maybe they want to collect X number of resources, or repair their ship, or join the crew, or get the captains laser. Whether they do so via diplomacy/trade/violence would be up to them (this part I'm not so sure about, it might turn into PLASMAMAN TIDE instead of a decent respawn method. The rules would need tweaking). The captain would likewise set crew rules for dealing with them, whether it be enslaving them for the gulag/borging, trading, or stealing their anomaly core.

If the general concept works out (third, neutral faction for ghosts to respawn as) maybe the mining asteroid could eventually be replaced by a random asteroid (golems)/jungle (????)/desert (skeletons) each round for mining to be done on, where the neutral tribe would be based. A pseudo away mission which we could hide random bits of science tech to gate high level RD items behind finding as well.

But thats getting way ahead. Do people think a third party ghost faction could ever work out? I think the biggest issue is that people would be suiciding to play as the aliens if people didn't get the job they wanted.

Right now, do people think a third party faction would work out? Or if not a third party faction, a hidden plasmaman spawner that could be connected to the station via tunnels and provide new crew?
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Mon May 11, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Migrants

Post by DemonFiren » #86117

Might wanna bold those core bits at the bottom, so people will actually read 'em.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #86239

Kor wrote: If the general concept works out (third, neutral faction for ghosts to respawn as) maybe the mining asteroid could eventually be replaced by a random asteroid (golems)/jungle (????)/desert (skeletons) each round for mining to be done on, where the neutral tribe would be based.
if only we had a nice simple procedural generator :P

It sounds like a nice idea in general.
something sort of similar already can happen on metastation but is limited to drones, in the fact that 2 shells spawn on the derelict, meaning 2 ghosts always have a chance to spawn on meta they just have to navigate through space for a bit.
私は完璧
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #86242

It would suffer from ohgodshinynewthingletsallplayit for a bit and I'm not sure how'd it work out during lowpop rounds but it's an interesting concept worth some consideration.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86247

I feel that something like this would really change the way we play spacemen in a big way. There would be a non-NT faction present in every game mode without admin intervention of any kind. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to think about
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #86303

Only if I can sign up as Captain Nigel Farage and blame everything on immigrants.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #86305

It would turn sybil's massive population into a plus, that's for sure.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #86312

Remie Richards wrote:
Kor wrote: If the general concept works out (third, neutral faction for ghosts to respawn as) maybe the mining asteroid could eventually be replaced by a random asteroid (golems)/jungle (????)/desert (skeletons) each round for mining to be done on, where the neutral tribe would be based.
if only we had a nice simple procedural generator :P

It sounds like a nice idea in general.
something sort of similar already can happen on metastation but is limited to drones, in the fact that 2 shells spawn on the derelict, meaning 2 ghosts always have a chance to spawn on meta they just have to navigate through space for a bit.
If only that generator had a preset forest module that with new sprites and some tweaked settings would make a great jungle :honkman:
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #86333

What if its on the other side of the gateway, get some use out of away missions.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #86342

Really highpop might turn into two separate games until the factions meet up, help our population woes somewhat
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #86357

DemonFiren wrote:Might wanna bold those core bits at the bottom, so people will actually read 'em.
I dunno how useful feedback is if people can't manage to read a paragraph, I kept it short as I could anyway
Remie Richards wrote: if only we had a nice simple procedural generator :P
Nice coincidence that. Glad to have gotten the interest of someone who actually knows how to code
imblyings wrote:It would suffer from ohgodshinynewthingletsallplayit for a bit and I'm not sure how'd it work out during lowpop rounds but it's an interesting concept worth some consideration.
And someone who can sprite. But yeah I'm worried mass suicides+respawning as plasmamen while its new will upset everyone to the point it gets removed.
Wyzack wrote:I feel that something like this would really change the way we play spacemen in a big way. There would be a non-NT faction present in every game mode without admin intervention of any kind. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to think about
From the admins who feel the need to run events (and the players that love them) and people who nerf/balance stuff to stop murderboners, to the people who call for more RP I get the feeling there are a lot of people who would not mind the structure of the round shaken up a bit. Traitors joining the aliens, skeletons stealing the captain to sac at their pyramid, golems trading their reserves of diamonds for guns to fight native monsters, I imagine there'd be a lot of possibilities in high pop rounds.
Malkevin wrote:Only if I can sign up as Captain Nigel Farage and blame everything on immigrants.
Of course. Maybe we can add the captains chair/throne from Lifeweb as well, and let the captain officially set station policy regarding migrants.
Reimoo wrote:It would turn sybil's massive population into a plus, that's for sure.
Hope so.
callanrockslol wrote:What if its on the other side of the gateway, get some use out of away missions.
Away mission gateway is very easy to sabotage. They also didn't have much point to them beyond killing stuff for overpowered loot I was thinking of using the mining shuttle and having the mining base spawn on the new z level. So a merging of away missions and mining. Make it more integrated into the round.
Wyzack wrote:Really highpop might turn into two separate games until the factions meet up, help our population woes somewhat
That would require a massive amount of work (and I'd need a good deal of help from other coders) to make them truely in depth enough to be another minigame, even if their game was just a little base building/survival thing. It'd also be pretty frustrating for them to just have rounds randomly end from stuff beyond their control (nukes). Mulligans might help somewhat though, and the crew evacuating to build a new base in the desert/tundra/jungle instead of calling the shuttle might be cool.

I guess the question is whether we should trial them as a minor asteroid base first as a respawn thing or just skip straight ahead to redoing mining/adding a third faction to the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #86362

Its a interesting idea worth expanding.

Lifeweb has a easier time doing this simply because their "station" is located on a planet and thus its possible to easily set up a (very) hostile environment outside the station.

Of course the biggest problem we will face is how crew-migrant interactions will occur. I think emphasizing the migrants being peaceful will prevent us having to deal with a war every other round between the two sides, say the crew can be aggressive as they want but the migrants cannot start a fight.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #86365

I'd be interested in the story of these people.
Where they live, why they live there, human relations, culture.

It'd be a great idea to help fix the Sybil problem, even if it wouldn't be as successful on Basil.

I think that this would go along great with the Plasmamen. Give them some more weight in the lore thread, the crashed ship idea would go well since they're more advanced than humans.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #86372

Heres an idea. Remember those useless command reports that get sent in at the beginning of each round? Have them include Centcom orders of how to treat migrants. The reports could include allowing entry, allowing limited entry, or totally denying entry due to the presence of disease, contraband, or felons among the migrants. And this this time, actually have those reports be reasonably accurate so maybe the command staff will have a serious reason to deny them entry.

That way, interactions between the crew and the migrants are varied every round and can result in a number of different scenarios.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #86374

Cool idea, I guess. I think it'd be sort of tiresome if it showed up every round, though.

I'm going to make a Captain's Throne post-freeze I swear.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #86380

Your right, I guess it would get old of it happened every round. Maybe it should only have a small chance of happening during high-pop rounds.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #86381

>And someone who can sprite [*hint* *hint*]

I have a backlog of stuff I'm still working on but I'd be happy to work on this while the code thaws out.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #86384

You do realize we can put up a PR anyways, right, for review? It can just not get merged till after the freeze, giving us a month to hash out details and shit.

I'd love to give this a try, if anything's worth stealing from lifeweb this is.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #86399

iamgoofball wrote: I'd love to give this a try
The small base on the asteroid or the mining replacement?
iamgoofball wrote:if anything's worth stealing from lifeweb this is.
Other than the ERP verbs you mean
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #86409

iamgoofball wrote:You do realize we can put up a PR anyways, right, for review? It can just not get merged till after the freeze, giving us a month to hash out details and shit.

The 'lol code freeze I'll just make my PR anyway and put'DNM' on it" attitude is missing the point of a code freeze.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #86466

ways to get back into the round
-cloning
-robot
-pai
-alien
-ninja
-revenant
-drone
-death squad
-ert
-chrono
-construct
-posibrain

i would literally rather be fucking castrated than have this idea added in any way or form whatsoever
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #86470

You appear to be playing on a different server to the rest of us, because half of those things we either do not have, are admin button only, or very rare random event.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #86473

Maybe a better idea for this is to very literally copy Lifeweb's 'wilderness' concept. What I mean is that we slightly change the lore to indicate that SS13 orbits, or is near, a barely habitable planet that is overrun with toxicity and hostile life.

In the middle of this mess is a long abandoned, and very old, colony ship. This colony ship was originally sent from Earth over a hundred years ago but crashed landed, the ships occupants were frozen in cryogenics however the toxic atmosphere of the planet interacted with the colonists, killing most of them and transforming the few survivors into a mutated, plasma based, life form.

The objective of the 'migrants' is to repair their ship, recover lost equipment, venture into the deep jungle to locate ship parts and ultimately repair the ship and fly it off the planet. Sadly the ships lacks any form of jump drive and it can only reach SS13.
allura

Post by allura » #86475

Malkevin wrote:You appear to be playing on a different server to the rest of us, because half of those things we either do not have, are admin button only, or very rare random event.
we have all of them, and i included admin buttons and random events
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #86476

I really think we should move forward in the direction Steelpoint has proposed. This would open up an incredible amount of doors in terms of lore/roleplay. Not to mention gameplay implications. (Perhaps an entire round type where the station must act as a team and send a squad down? Shouldn't be available to go there as crew every round at least)
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
allura

Post by allura » #86479

you're making this even worse
allura

Post by allura » #86481

on the upside i can know that this change will never ever get added no matter how much stupid idea building you have
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #86494

I used to be extremely keen on keeping as few ways back into the round as possible too. I was against Posibrains, I still don't like Golems, so I can slightly understand where you're coming from.

What changed is I realized it's worth the trade off. I don't mind death being entertaining for people because it's other people having fun in the same game I'm playing. The rush of slitting throats isn't gone when you give people other options of things to do once they've been killed.

Plus, it'd give us an extremely unique thing to call our own. A whole planet and interactive post-game that doesn't carry nearly as much depth but is still entertaining none the less.

Does it really ruin your experience that much that people can have fun after death?
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #86524

allura wrote:
Malkevin wrote:You appear to be playing on a different server to the rest of us, because half of those things we either do not have, are admin button only, or very rare random event.
I'm pretty sure we dont have posi-brains, ive yet to see them.

Never seen a chrono thing either, pretty sure that got shot down as someone's half baked idea thread.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #86526

Malkevin wrote:
allura wrote:

Never seen a chrono thing either, pretty sure that got shot down as someone's half baked idea thread.
Posi-brains are live on Sybil
Chrono equipment exists but we have no button to spawn one, and thank god for that.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #86533

Malkevin wrote:
allura wrote:

It got merged the chrono guys they just barely get used. We also have the brains. Shit you dont play at all do you?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #86537

Lizards should be migrants. It fits in well with their backstory as second class citizens and I love the idea of sticking masses of filthy liggers into "shower" chambers so we can "clean them of lice and pestilence" before "allowing them into the station."
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #86547

Bombadil wrote:
Malkevin wrote:
allura wrote:

It got merged the chrono guys they just barely get used. We also have the brains. Shit you dont play at all do you?
I've been playing pretty frequently lately actually, but I've yet to see these things.

Which means that either their current implementation makes them too difficult to produce, or are just locked down so much they're as player accessible as a SORD, or just demonstrates that relying on players to get other players back into the round is a dumb idea because most players just don't care.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86551

Loonikus wrote:Lizards should be migrants. It fits in well with their backstory as second class citizens and I love the idea of sticking masses of filthy liggers into "shower" chambers so we can "clean them of lice and pestilence" before "allowing them into the station."
Did someone say SCALY TIDE SPONSORED BY CARGONIA, RISE AGAINST YOUR OPPRESSORS?

Hell yeah, do this.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #86705

Malkevin wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Malkevin wrote:
allura wrote:

I've been playing pretty frequently lately actually, but I've yet to see these things.

Which means that either their current implementation makes them too difficult to produce, or are just locked down so much they're as player accessible as a SORD, or just demonstrates that relying on players to get other players back into the round is a dumb idea because most players just don't care.
Posibrains are produced pretty frequently whenever the round goes on for more than 30 minutes, actually. I still remember the quintumvate AI round where I micromanaged the entire station and kept the other four in line with threat of instant termination from the hidden location the captain had placed me at.

Chrono guys are only in codewise, they don't have a button or anything. Also they're horrifying things that exist to delete people (literally) for no fucking reason at all.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #86759

I don't really get how this is supposed to work, mechanically.

So, these migrants spawn on the mining asteroid, with their goal ostensibly to get to the station?
How do you get to the station from the asteroid? They would either have to space themselves and pray, or raid the mining outpost. The first option sucks, the latter ruins any hope of these guys being anything more than hostile invaders to be clicked to death.

This shit works in Lifeweb because there's actually wilderness for them to arrive in. There's no wilderness in freaking space.

On top of that, this basically has the same issue as the Space Valhalla idea that gets thrown around (this basically being a Space Valhalla but in this concept the Valhallans can eventually get to the station). Which is, as the station population dwindles, you end up having a second distinct round going on at the same time as the first, but in a completely different area. Instead of "Space Station 13" it becomes "Space Station 13 until everyone dies and now we're playing Alien Town 1 instead."

This is in contrast to Drones, which are deceased players that still have a layer of separation between them and players who haven't died, but they still exist in the same space as the rest of the players and provide a benefit to them.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #86772

allura wrote: i would literally rather be fucking castrated than have this idea added in any way or form whatsoever
What do you dislike about it?
Cheridan wrote: How do you get to the station from the asteroid? They would either have to space themselves and pray, or raid the mining outpost.
Or asking nicely to get in and having a miner/QM take them inside
Cheridan wrote:hostile invaders to be clicked to death.
Most of our game modes involve "clicking people to death" and any game sounds boring if you reduce it to the terms of what the player is physically doing. Every game is just clicking when you boil it down.
Cheridan wrote: This shit works in Lifeweb because there's actually wilderness for them to arrive in. There's no wilderness in freaking space.
/quote]

Thus the "mining is now on a planet" bit. Even without that they'd be digging their way out of the asteroid past the mining monsters.
Cheridan wrote: Instead of "Space Station 13" it becomes "Space Station 13 until everyone dies and now we're playing Alien Town 1 instead."
I guess it turning into valhalla 2.0 might be a problem. But if you want an average round time of over an hour, and with the population regularly hitting 70+ people, I think there is both room and time for other stuff to be going on.
Cheridan wrote: This is in contrast to Drones, which are deceased players that still have a layer of separation between them and players who haven't died, but they still exist in the same space as the rest of the players and provide a benefit to them.
Drones are terribly unfun to play as. Repairs are clunky, slow, and pointless. Does it matter if you repair a window in some corner of maint someone might run past all of twice in the next hour? Any serious damage will be taken care of by the engiborgs RCD or engineers (or more likely ignore in favor of a shuttle call).

Plus you're not even allowed to speak to other players, which I think is the worst part. You get more social interaction as a ghost, speaking of just clicking things. You have a ruleset barring you from actually interacting with the round in any meaningful way.

I'm willing to drop this if you really don't want it in though, I won't argue it forever.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #86780

ignore allura, she is a Disagreement Gnome :^)
Kor wrote:
Cheridan wrote:hostile invaders to be clicked to death.
Most of our game modes involve "clicking people to death" and any game sounds boring if you reduce it to the terms of what the player is physically doing. Every game is just clicking when you boil it down.
I didn't really mean it like that. Basically just that if you want something that's going to end up being a punching bag, we already have things that fill that role such as xenos. The only thing you can do with a xeno is kill it, whereas a person who is a Traitor can be captured, bargained with, thrown in jail, or escape. There are more possibilities, which is more interesting and fits better in the context of SS13 being a sandbox instead of a top-down shooter.

Even if these migrants are intended to be more than a hostile force, you have to make effort so that it actually becomes that. Like Ninjas were supposed to be a stealthy tech bandits who worked 50% of the time for Nanotrasen and cooperated with certain crew roles to achieve their objectives, but people just got the role and telegibbed everyone.

As for drones, you can get plenty of interaction with other drones. They're not supposed to have a huge impact on the round, they're just a way to keep playing once you're dead. As far as "second chance" roles go I think they're a good middle ground between whining as a ghost doing nothing, and fucking up everything as an adamantium golem with 0 responsibilities and riot armor.
Kor wrote:I'm willing to drop this if you really don't want it in though, I won't argue it forever.
Don't take this as headcoder vetoing your shit or whatever. I'm just a poster arguing against it. Even if something works well in another game, you can't just throw it into another game without considering the implications that it will have on how the game is played, especially something like this which is basically adding a second station with its own crew.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #86793

Cheridan wrote: Basically just that if you want something that's going to end up being a punching bag, we already have things that fill that role such as xenos. The only thing you can do with a xeno is kill it, whereas a person who is a Traitor can be captured, bargained with, thrown in jail, or escape. There are more possibilities, which is more interesting and fits better in the context of SS13 being a sandbox instead of a top-down shooter.
I agree on that. That's why I'm hoping giving the migrants objectives like "learn about the humans by stealing their secret documents" will give them the same variety that traitors can have in accomplishing things. Hell I think there'd be more variety if there were three factions playing off of each other.

Xenos are dumb because you can't talk to them at all, they can only kill you. Same problem with away missions, you couldn't talk to the simple mobs, just kill them. They'd be the same every time. Obviously the migrants being more interesting than just a murderous invasion every round will be down to the players in the end though, just like ninja. But I can leave them the freedom and tools to do other things and hope players choose diplomacy or trade sometimes.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #86808

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:You do realize we can put up a PR anyways, right, for review? It can just not get merged till after the freeze, giving us a month to hash out details and shit.

The 'lol code freeze I'll just make my PR anyway and put'DNM' on it" attitude is missing the point of a code freeze.
And? A full month of discussion and code modification would be great for something like this. Would you prefer it gets coded during the freeze, and then worked on and polished for the rest of the month, or it gets coded after the freeze and then the merge time ends up as "whenever it gets merged"?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #86858

I still think it would be more effective to spawn them on a toxic planet and go from there.

There are ways to balance this out, for example we could put a cap on the amount of migrants, or stop spawning migrants when the ship is repaired or require resources from the planet in order to spawn more migrants.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #86966

Ok, discussions about the feature freeze and whatever are not related to the migrants, so let's get back on topic please.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
legality
Byond Username: Legality

Post by legality » #86994

Before the ship crashed, everyone was in cryo-sleep.

The ship's computer only has enough power to wake the first two migrants from sleep. They must gather resources and set up a makeshift-generator to wake up more migrants.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #86999

Deathworld type place accessible through the gateway/away shuttle.
somewhat valuable loot (not fucking weapons) available on the map somewhere. May or may not be accessible to the locals.
Captain/crew can choose whether to access the world or not.
Locals busy trying to stay alive because of deadly environment/native critters, can choose to help or hinder any ss13 crew that pop in, or try to sneak onto station.

Yes/yes?

A (semi) plausible way to explain why new people keep appearing, other then fuckers just crawling out of the primodial ooze (which has its own charm) would be crashlanding little escape pods. Make the fluff that the planet emits some disturbance that attracts, and brings down any passing spacecraft. AKA: Lost.
Then the little pods could have some supplies, to keep the locals going.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #87003

I like Lumi's idea, BUT:
It needs to be a big desert planet.
With cacti that hurt you.
Sandstorms.
A thirst mechanic for migrants only.
Sandtraps.
Giant sand worms.
CRABS.

that'll make sure an appropriate amount of people make it to the station.
私は完璧
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #87006

I've always advocated a neutral/3rd party role. I like this.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #87022

Why not a variety of deadly locations?

Noxious swamp, arid desert, the insides of a giant space worm, who knows which you'll be going into!
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #87041

>get killed
>respawn as migrant
>die 500 times
>make it back onto the station
>kill the person who killed you
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #87044

We already ban for crap like that, I should know since the guy/s that have done that/tried to do that to me all got banned.

Imo I think a toxic forest/swamp is a good singular choice simply because I think we can make a swamp more interesting and atmospheric than a empty desert.

I think a combination of procedural generation and prebuilt structures will be effective, mainly in making the ship and the surrounding area pre made. Of course the problem with procedural generation is that you cannot guarantee the quality, but I think we have to do procedural generation to avoid a situation where you can memorise the perfect way to get all the equipment needed.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #87145

Miauw wrote:>get killed
>respawn as migrant
>die 500 times
>make it back onto the station
>kill the person who killed you
Would be fairly obvious. You can already do the same as a golem, positronic brain, pAI, or drone (or just tell your metafriend on skype).
lumipharon wrote:Why not a variety of deadly locations?

Noxious swamp, arid desert, the insides of a giant space worm, who knows which you'll be going into!
Suggested that in the OP. Skeletons in the desert, lizards in the toxic jungle, golems in the asteroid belt, plasmamen ???

Skeletons would feed something to their tombs/lazarus pits to make more of them, lizards would have nests/hatcheries, golems would build each other or some shit, plasmamen would feed plasma to their mad science tubes.

And yes I think a mix of procedural (for the desert itself) with prebuilt station structures/migrant bases, ancient tombs etc would be best.

Hell maybe we could allow you to launch escape pods early and have them fall in the desert for desperate traitors to escape security, or the bored clown to go explore.