Emergency/Away Departmental Hardsuits

A place to record your ideas for the game.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Emergency/Away Departmental Hardsuits

Post by AnonymousNow » #110831

Quite simple - we have medical hardsuits, but we're not using them (despite having two security hardsuits, for some reason). This should be fixed, as having to steal the medical frigate to get the best looking suit in the game is annoying.

We should set it up so that, at the very least, each head of staff can bug out to a departmental hardsuit. In addition, this will allow us to embrace one of my favourite cliches - the multi-disciplined away team.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Re: Emergency/Away Departmental Hardsuits

Post by whodaloo » #110833

The heads of staff already have access to EVA suits on Sybil at least. The right half of EVA is bridge access doors.

I agree that the medical hardsuit is the best looking one, though.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #110836

i think adding a medical suit is a good idea. with the increased prevalence of explosions it's basically necessary these days; you can't exactly walk through the 10 tile width crater to grab bodies, especially with space wind.

power creep? yeah i suppose but it's medical whatever
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #110842

There are already too many spacesuits on the map
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #110843

There are already too many spacesuits on the map
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #110930

What if Command EVA was redesigned, with a hardsuit for each head (except CE and Captain, since they have those in their departments)?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #110992

Doesn't the HoS also have a hardsuit in his office? I know he and the CMO do on Meta.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #111008

On Metastation, the HoS, CMO, CE and Captain all have their own hardsuits. (There are also two in Security, behind an Armory-access door.) The RD's nearest is in Toxins, and the HoP's nearest is in EVA. Giving all heads of staff a hardsuit, then removing a few from EVA (and replacing them with more tables), might work.

Alternatively, how about a way to order departmental hardsuits from Cargo, at around 120 points each and locked behind relevant head access (an engineering RIG needs CE, for example)?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #111031

On Box currently only the Captain and Chief Engineer have their own personal Hardsuits.

The Head of Security and the Chief Medical Officer have their own unique Hardsuits in the code but are currently not used on the map.

The Research Director is the only head that does not have a unique Hardsuit in the code.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #111034

The HoP is a head too, remember. If we give the RD and HoP hardsuits, that's the full set.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #111045

Does that mean we start imitating Star Trek with their sending senior officers on nearly every away mission?

>Inb4 implying we'll ever get away missions
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #111053

What would even be unique about a Science hardsuit? Increased bomb and radiation protection?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111054

Gun Hog wrote:What would even be unique about a Science hardsuit? Increased bomb and radiation protection?
Probably bio and fire. I can't think of anything that really puts out radiation in science unless you get a bunch of shitty advanced eguns.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #111055

TheNightingale wrote:On Metastation, the HoS, CMO, CE and Captain all have their own hardsuits. (There are also two in Security, behind an Armory-access door.) The RD's nearest is in Toxins, and the HoP's nearest is in EVA. Giving all heads of staff a hardsuit, then removing a few from EVA (and replacing them with more tables), might work.

Alternatively, how about a way to order departmental hardsuits from Cargo, at around 120 points each and locked behind relevant head access (an engineering RIG needs CE, for example)?
How about each head has a hardsuit locker in their office, however the locker remains locked unless emagged or red alert is engaged? That way each department head has a "Get the fuck out of dodge" option available, we have more reasons to enable code red, and traitor heads can go do their traitor shenanigans anyway.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #111056

I love the code red opening idea, but I think if you're going to allow it to be emagged it has to be possible to open it in other non-legitimate ways too, otherwise you're only restricting its antagonist use to traitor rounds instead of allowing (quite common) group antagonists to have a shot with it.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #111065

That sounds good. In situations where you're most likely to need an emergency hardsuit (everyone's dead, the singularity's loose, et cetera), it'd be hard to declare Red Alert, though.

How about:
- Code Red
- Cryptographic sequencer
- EMP
- Captain-level access
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #111629

TheNightingale wrote:How about:
- Code Red
- EMP
- Office-level access
FTFY

There's no reason why the CMO, HoP, HoS, RD, or the CE needs the fucking captain to come and unlock their own goddamn hardsuit, they should each have that level of access themselves. All the heads are restricted to their own offices anyway unless their ID gets changed, and maybe this will curb the HoP from giving people department office-level access just because they're lazy.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #111630

Stan_Studnick wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:How about:
- Code Red
- EMP
- Office-level access
FTFY

There's no reason why the CMO, HoP, HoS, RD, or the CE needs the fucking captain to come and unlock their own goddamn hardsuit, they should each have that level of access themselves. All the heads are restricted to their own offices anyway unless their ID gets changed, and maybe this will curb the HoP from giving people department office-level access just because they're lazy.
Well, the entire reason I suggested code red was to stop a head just taking their suit and fucking off into space for no raisins.
Having some kind of limitation in place means it can't just be picked up, you actually need to do something for it.

Alternative suggestion is the comms console having a button to unlock the lockers (And EVA too), similar to maint access override.
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #111657

Akkryls wrote:Well, the entire reason I suggested code red was to stop a head just taking their suit and fucking off into space for no raisins.
Having some kind of limitation in place means it can't just be picked up, you actually need to do something for it.

Alternative suggestion is the comms console having a button to unlock the lockers (And EVA too), similar to maint access override.
Four things wrong with that line of thinking:

- CE definitely needs his suit, period
- All the heads can easily ask for and be given EVA, it's just senselessly prolonging the inevitable
- It's likely that the CMO and HoS would need their suits most of the time
- If a head fucks off to go play Super Derelict Fun Builder Time then ahelp it and get that dumb cocksucker the jobban they surely deserve, there isn't any reason to have it any other way
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #112076

Luke Cox wrote:What if Command EVA was redesigned, with a hardsuit for each head (except CE and Captain, since they have those in their departments)?
Yes, command EVA has been hideously outdated for some time.

I'd say make it so that the CMO, HoS, HoP and RD (both the latter will require suits to be made) each have an access-locked segment in that small room with their department's suit.
Akkryls wrote: How about each head has a hardsuit locker in their office, however the locker remains locked unless emagged or red alert is engaged? That way each department head has a "Get the fuck out of dodge" option available, we have more reasons to enable code red, and traitor heads can go do their traitor shenanigans anyway.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me, as it gives the impression that anyone other than the Captain or CE is lesser in priorities - and each head has some important uses for spess trips.

I'm still attached to the idea of thematic spess suits for away teams which may or may not include the heads. Having them be orderable from cargo for a heap of points is a great plan, in my opinion - one could argue that a flood of plasma points would mean a flood of suits, but it would still require quite a bit of effort afforand and they would still be limited by expense. And hell, at that point genetics is likely to be able to make people spessproof anywhat.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.