New reactive armour/blocking mechanics

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

New reactive armour/blocking mechanics

Post by onleavedontatme » #137331

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/13327

tl;dr I have redone blocking mechanics to allow any item in your left hand, right hand, exosuit, or jumpsuit slot to have a customisable on hit effect and block chance.

As quick examples I made a reactive armor subtype that sets everyone on fire when it blocks hits, and the clown jumpsuit now honks when the user is hit (but has 0 block chance).

Armour I am thinking of adding in the future:

-Suicide vest. Hook a TTV to the vest and it will explode when you're hit.

-Ablative plated armour. 100% block chance but the plates are destroyed after each hit.

-Energy shielded armour. Blocks hits until the shield drains, then recharges after a cooldown (Halo)

-Tesla armour that shocks attackers

-Armour of Fate: Made with the die of fate, rolls a d20 when you get hit for a random effect (20 gibs the attacker, 1 gibs you, and everywhere inbetween)

Seeking feedback on these plans and further suggestions.
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: New reactive arnor/blocking mechanics

Post by DemonFiren » #137334

Kor continues to be not shit.

I wonder if it's possible to make a chemvest, if you get hit it automatically releases a chemical cloud of whatever is stored inside.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #137338

Pretty neat overall, something tells me a one hit 'ablative' armour will have limited usability if someone just slaps your ass and suddenly your ass explodes, protecting you from the ass spanking but leaving your vulnerable to that incoming guy with a purple Energy Sword.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #137344

we should be able to use trays as ghetto shields
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #137355

Kor wrote:-Ablative plated armour. 100% block chance but the plates are destroyed after each hit.
this is how ablative armour should work anyway, ablative literally means the armour vaporizes to protect you
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #137357

Kor wrote:https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/13327

-Energy shielded armor. Blocks hits until the shield drains, then recharges after a cooldown (Halo)

-Tesla armor that shocks attackers

Seeking feedback on these plans and further suggestions.
Both these are my ideas! :D You have made the energy shield armor possible, which is something I have wanted to code for a while! I might do it one day if no one beats me to it!

Tesla armor I got from Goofball's port of the Tesla Engine, the Tesla Armor from the Fallout series and the wizard's lightning bolt spell.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #137358

Ablative defence would need to be either very cheap or trigger multiple times considering it will only block a single attack.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #137360

Kor wrote:-Armour of Fate: Made with the die of fate, rolls a d20 when you get hit for a random effect (20 gibs the attacker, 1 gibs you, and everywhere inbetween)
Best armor idea out of everything here.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #137362

Neat idea and all, but i feel like this will just add a new level of powergaming, and eventually suffer from powercreep. Everything on that list besides the Suicide Vest should be limited to admin-only.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #137392

Alex Crimson wrote:Neat idea and all, but i feel like this will just add a new level of powergaming, and eventually suffer from powercreep. Everything on that list besides the Suicide Vest should be limited to admin-only.
I am going to disagree, just because Heads, especially the captain, need powerful armor. Rev has an 80% winrate. A single stealth op can very easily take down the cap 1 on 1. The HoS's armor used to be a super valuable commodity, until it was nerfed
Kor wrote: -Suicide vest. Hook a TTV to the vest and it will explode when you're hit.
We used to have this, but it was remove.
Anyone know why?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #137401

I predict a whole lot of fun with suicide vests and hugging, come to think of it.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #137418

Helios wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:Neat idea and all, but i feel like this will just add a new level of powergaming, and eventually suffer from powercreep. Everything on that list besides the Suicide Vest should be limited to admin-only.
I am going to disagree, just because Heads, especially the captain, need powerful armor. Rev has an 80% winrate. A single stealth op can very easily take down the cap 1 on 1. The HoS's armor used to be a super valuable commodity, until it was nerfed
It was nerfed for a reason. No need to make heads night invincible just because they tend to die a lot. If Rev has such a high winrate, nerf the game mode, dont add potentially overpowered armor and make it the standard for head protection.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #137424

Super Aggro Crag wrote:we should be able to use trays as ghetto shields
Sure
Ricotez wrote:
Kor wrote:-Ablative plated armour. 100% block chance but the plates are destroyed after each hit.
this is how ablative armour should work anyway, ablative literally means the armour vaporizes to protect you
I renamed our current "ablative" in the PR shit has bugged me for years
Steelpoint wrote:Pretty neat overall, something tells me a one hit 'ablative' armour will have limited usability if someone just slaps your ass and suddenly your ass explodes, protecting you from the ass spanking but leaving your vulnerable to that incoming guy with a purple Energy Sword.
Damage thresholds are always possible
Helios wrote:
Kor wrote: -Suicide vest. Hook a TTV to the vest and it will explode when you're hit.
We used to have this, but it was remove.
Anyone know why?
Adding power armour just to deal with rev would negatively impact every mode. I would not object to trying out shielded armour that drains very quickly for the captain/hos though.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #137426

I hope this turns into better game mechanics for armour in the future instead of the clunky damage reduction system we have now.

If armour were more buffer-style (very big damage reductions and a short life-span before it becomes ineffective) instead of straight up damage reduction, it would make for less opaque game mechanics.
Mime: Depresso
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #137428

invisty wrote:I hope this turns into better game mechanics for armour in the future instead of the clunky damage reduction system we have now.

If armour were more buffer-style (very big damage reductions and a short life-span before it becomes ineffective) instead of straight up damage reduction, it would make for less opaque game mechanics.
Not sure if I am up to rebalancing combat but having to break the plates before you can stun someone might be interesting.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #137441

Not interesting at all. There would be no visual feedback as to how many plates they have. Not to mention powergamers would just carry spare sets of armor.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #137444

Alex Crimson wrote:Not interesting at all. There would be no visual feedback as to how many plates they have. Not to mention powergamers would just carry spare sets of armor.
Both of those are easily solvable issues.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #137449

>Kor renamed ablative

Fucking based, shit has bugged me for ever
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #137451

Alex Crimson wrote:Not interesting at all. There would be no visual feedback as to how many plates they have. Not to mention powergamers would just carry spare sets of armor.
my partial rewrite of human overlays allows overlays on overlays, you could easily have 1 overlay per plate on the armour, and remove them per hit.
私は完璧
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #137454

I thought we were going to ban Remie...

...but I guess this is going to be good.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #137455

Remie Richards wrote:
my partial rewrite of human overlays allows overlays on overlays, you could easily have 1 overlay per plate on the armour, and remove them per hit.
Which would be nigh impossible to notice during a firefight, and still doesnt change the fact that partial-invulnerability is a terrible mechanic. This will just end with everyone having some special armor, each with a special effect that you will need to remember. I mean, how would you counter a HoS with his riot shield out and armor fully loaded with these plates? For the average traitor it would be raid-boss levels of impossible.
invisty

Post by invisty » #137457

Do you think we're all here to make the game worse or something? Because all you're doing is shooting down constructive ideas with corner cases of where they need fleshing out for better gameplay. Good game design is not bipartisan politics - everyone is out to achieve the same goal here, and if it doesn't work out, it gets removed/reverted. See: Autorifles.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #137470

Kor wrote:Suicide vest. Hook a TTV to the vest and it will explode when you're hit.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #137472

Change the suicide vest to trigger at a set health level or via a custom emote

Give botany a way to grow their own armor, with plant variables tied to it's effectiveness

Have plate armor be constructable with plates and wire or something and be heavy but decent all-around
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #137484

ShadowDimentio wrote:Change the suicide vest to trigger at a set health level or via a custom emote
Main issue I see with that would be the suicide vest exploding if the wearer just happens to die from exposure to space or some other dumb shit like that which wouldn't make much sense. Seems like it'd make more sense for hits to the torso while wearing it have a very high chance of triggering it, like 90%. Makes it extremely effective as a last resort but at the same time a lucky taser shot to the head or limbs or an EXTREMELY lucky shot to the torso that doesn't set it off can put you down quickly.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #137485

>Incendiary reactive armor
>Assistent tries to hug me on the shuttle
>Everyone gets set on fire
>Gets banned for murderboning with armor
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #137490

invisty wrote:Do you think we're all here to make the game worse or something? Because all you're doing is shooting down constructive ideas with corner cases of where they need fleshing out for better gameplay. Good game design is not bipartisan politics - everyone is out to achieve the same goal here, and if it doesn't work out, it gets removed/reverted. See: Autorifles.
I never expected anyone to listen to me anyways. But hey as long as its a trail run, right?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: New reactive armour/blocking mechanics

Post by Incomptinence » #137492

I would like silly shit like electrified self healing (hardening fluid fills holes) but maybe more elaborate pieces should require a battery pack to work plasma furnace or whatever. Ghetto exosuits/ power armour basically. Do similar for science weapons, with lower grade weapons and armour having chances for hilarious malfunctions or even certainty or malfunction on use, see MIB The Noisy Cricket.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #137499

ShadowDimentio wrote:Change the suicide vest to trigger at a set health level or via a custom emote

Give botany a way to grow their own armor, with plant variables tied to it's effectiveness

Have plate armor be constructable with plates and wire or something and be heavy but decent all-around
We have health sensors and voice analyzers. So it's basically already in
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #137502

A personal shield device for the HoS or Captain would be amusing.

I remember we toyed around with the concept a year or so ago.

The general idea was that this shield generator would have to be equipped in the 'Suit Slot' of their armour in order to work, and that akin to what has been said it would protect from any attack but it drains very quickly when hit. So you'll get a few freebies but it won't last for long.

Its not a terrible idea for the two most important people on station.

Also you can go the Dune route and make it that certain melee weapons can go through the shield, while in Dune only slow attacks go through the shield (and lasers cause a nuclear detonation) but here you could balance certain melee attacks to ignore the shield.
invisty

Post by invisty » #137513

Perhaps a shield device that blocks melee OR ranged attacks?

Of course, its downside would be that it grants you no other protection.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #137546

Steelpoint wrote:A personal shield device for the HoS or Captain would be amusing.

I remember we toyed around with the concept a year or so ago.

The general idea was that this shield generator would have to be equipped in the 'Suit Slot' of their armour in order to work, and that akin to what has been said it would protect from any attack but it drains very quickly when hit. So you'll get a few freebies but it won't last for long.

Its not a terrible idea for the two most important people on station.

Also you can go the Dune route and make it that certain melee weapons can go through the shield, while in Dune only slow attacks go through the shield (and lasers cause a nuclear detonation) but here you could balance certain melee attacks to ignore the shield.
can we still have the lasers causing nuclear detonations
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #137548

In the Dune universe Personal Shields are widely used in combat, as Shield block almost any attack imaginable, from bullets to bombs. The only attack that can go through a shield is a slow moving item, so combat revolves around special forms of melee attacks that allow you to pierce through a shield and attack someone.

The exception here however is that if a Laser weapon hits a shield the reaction will cause a Nuclear Detonation, killing both the shield user and the laser gun user at random.

The unique exception also is on the planet Dune, while Shields work the vibrations of it will attract Sand Worms, so this lead to the unique situation of the combat on Dune using more advance weapons like actual gun, and even at one point a very old piece of artillery that scared the crap out of one faction as no one has ever seen artillery before.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #137581

wtf is dune
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #137583

The Dune novel series. Classic science fiction novel, with some good movies made about it, and video games.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #137584

It's books consisting entirely of exposition and somehow managing not to suck.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #137585

The original author's kids even wrote some books about Dune after he passed too. They were relatively decent form what I remember of them.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #137604

Zilenan91 wrote:The original author's kids even wrote some books about Dune after he passed too. They were relatively decent form what I remember of them.
His books were mostly prequels, one series taking place well in the past during the war between the thinking machines and the remnants of humanity, the later series showing off a younger Duke Leto Atreides and Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, going into depth about the history and origin of many characters from the original novel series as well as exploring more of the conflict between the two great houses, for example it explains why Baron Vladimir is so damn morbidly obease to the point of inhumanity.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #137629

The personal fields in Dune are also used as a form of deterrence, nobody will use lasguns around people with shields because the resulting detonation would also take them out, as well as the neighbourhood. But in SS13 that obviously wouldn't work because some players actually are stupid enough to try it.
Spoiler:
In the first book, the Atreides actually weaponize this by hiding a field in a cavern under attack which kills a bunch of Harkonnen troops when they accidentally hit it with a laser
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #137685

As a concept it doesn't work that well in Dune. The first book, that is. It seems to have been intended as an excuse to have melee fights, so they could fit everything in with the idea of 'feudal sci-fi'. But the technology is abandoned almost immediately in the plot, seemingly because it's too inconvenient.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #137943

well, that and the kid didn't exactly have a power outlet to recharge his shield in the desert
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #137946

Feudalism is fucking gay.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #138015

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Feudalism is fucking gay.
Its stupid but badass
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"