Blob Away mission

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Blob Away mission

Post by Helios » #147550

A blob is eating another station, and it is up to Space Station 13 to try and save it. When connected, there's various loot, but this could be eaten by the blob. The opening room to this away mission is unable to be eaten by the blob due to indestructible walls, so the blob can't just cheese and eat the gateway immediately.

The main idea for this is that Away mission wizard is great and gives ghosts a chance to play an antagonist that is rarely rolled. Having the usual defense against the blob switched to an offensive to another world is an interesting play during slower rounds.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Blob Away mission

Post by ShadowDimentio » #147551

>Blob
>More often

YES
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #147552

Yeah that'd be pretty sweet. Or like if there was a planet that was being taken over by a blob (maybe not even a player) and you would be tasked to go through and do stuff, maybe even the option of letting the blob invade the station through the gateway?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #147555

The loot at the end would need to be pretty sweet though, otherwise the crew won't stay interested.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #147577

>ITS BLOB
>COMPETENT R&D
>IN COMES CHARGING 20 GREYSHIRTS WITH XRAYS AND ADV EGUNS
>GG
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #147578

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've lost to x-rays in any of my many rounds as blob

(It's 0)
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Helios

Post by Helios » #147579

ShadowDimentio wrote:The loot at the end would need to be pretty sweet though, otherwise the crew won't stay interested.
I was thinking just having a reward delivered directly from centcomm once it was killed, so that the blob couldn't eat it.
Like "We're bluespacing in all the loot to the bar for clearing out the blob, enjoy crew"
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #147580

But then there would be no incentive to beat the blob quickly, unless the reward decreased depending on the damage the blob did before it was killed, which sounds good on paper but impossible to code.

Actually you could have a thing count the highest the blob's blob count went, and the higher it is the less the reward. Should be easy enough.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Helios

Post by Helios » #147584

ShadowDimentio wrote:But then there would be no incentive to beat the blob quickly, unless the reward decreased depending on the damage the blob did before it was killed, which sounds good on paper but impossible to code.

Actually you could have a thing count the highest the blob's blob count went, and the higher it is the less the reward. Should be easy enough.
Why do you want an incentive to kill the blob immediately?
The incentive to killing it immediately is having it be easier to kill.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #147595

5 layer shield blobs can stop x-rays and it takes them about half their charge to knock them down.

Source: I actually managed to test this
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #147602

No more away mission player controlled antags.

Either people abuse it to get out, or someone spaces/uses up all the loot to spite people that try to complete them.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #147604

Blob can literally be locked to a z level like how they can't survive on mining so it could easily be an alt blob that needs to stay on the away mission and the only way it could send walls it could control through a shuttle I think.

The concept just needs a bit of polish same with the wiz guards.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #147609

Helios wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:But then there would be no incentive to beat the blob quickly, unless the reward decreased depending on the damage the blob did before it was killed, which sounds good on paper but impossible to code.

Because otherwise people will just wait until they have like five x-rays thirty minutes in and nuke the blob who hasn't had anyone to fight all round in seconds.

That won't be fun for anyone.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Helios

Post by Helios » #147629

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Helios wrote:

Because otherwise people will just wait until they have like five x-rays thirty minutes in and nuke the blob who hasn't had anyone to fight all round in seconds.

That won't be fun for anyone.
It's possible to beat because of 2 reasons.
1. Unlike on station, you don't know where the blob is cenetered.
2. With a single entry point, the blob knows exactly where to defend
J_Madison wrote:No more away mission player controlled antags.

Either people abuse it to get out, or someone spaces/uses up all the loot to spite people that try to complete them.
Which is why I suggest the loot be teleported in. I think people enjoy player controlled wizard because it lets them be wizards.
As for escaping the Z-level, I would suggest that blocking the blob from entering the room would work, but I would suggest letting Blobbernauts go through the gateway. This would give the crew an incentive to kill the infestation off level, so that they would stop being harassed by Blobbernauts. They could stop this by walling the gateway as wall, but this would act as a "valve", which any antagonist could destroy to get the flood of Blobbernauts back into the station.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147708

For this blob away mission to work, the gateway would have to be relatively far away, possibly through dangerous and mob-infested territory from the teleport zone. Otherwise people will pop in, pop out, and come back a few minutes later with 9000 xrays.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Helios

Post by Helios » #147710

Zilenan91 wrote:For this blob away mission to work, the gateway would have to be relatively far away, possibly through dangerous and mob-infested territory from the teleport zone. Otherwise people will pop in, pop out, and come back a few minutes later with 9000 xrays.
You can win against X-rays as blob
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147716

Not if they come with 9000 of them immediately. Why would you spam blobbernauts to fight them if all they'd do is sit around doing literally nothing waiting for a crew that may or may not even come in the first place.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Helios

Post by Helios » #147731

Zilenan91 wrote:Not if they come with 9000 of them immediately. Why would you spam blobbernauts to fight them if all they'd do is sit around doing literally nothing waiting for a crew that may or may not even come in the first place.
Because Blobbernauts can go through the gateway.
The blob can't
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147732

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Though is that really what we want from an away mission? An endless tide of blobbernauts? Granted you can just trap them inside the gateway room itself but they can always ghost out and the nauts become NPCs that can still move around and attack anyways.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Helios

Post by Helios » #147736

Zilenan91 wrote:Oh yeah I forgot about that. Though is that really what we want from an away mission? An endless tide of blobbernauts? Granted you can just trap them inside the gateway room itself but they can always ghost out and the nauts become NPCs that can still move around and attack anyways.
That's what we get from the gateway mission if nobody chooses to acknowledge/attempt it.
What do we get from other gateway missions if nobody does them?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147737

Absolutely nothing. Though I do feel like it'd be cheesy to just have like 9 blobbernauts swarm through the gateway and kill everything all of a sudden.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #148044

Here's a controversial idea:
If the blob manages to eat the entire station, it can eat the gateway which makes it go through the gateway, to the station. Then the crew has to clear their gateway, the away mission gatway, and then kill the blob. Y/N?
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #148344

Why not just have several rooms of loot far behind the blob, which spawns at a chokepoint between the loot rooms and the gateway entrance, so that the blob can slowly make their way towards to eat the loot as it grows?

This serves a dual purpose. The crew has to fight the blob and kill it to be able to get to the loot. They have to start fighting quickly or else the blob will eventually be able to eat all the loot.
However, by placing the loot behind the blob, the blob has to make a choice: Does it expand forward to create more defenses the crew has to hack through to be able to kill the core (and get the loot) or does the blob expand backwards to deny loot to the crew?

The loot will have to be in rooms that are inaccessible to blobbernauts, ie surrounded by rwalls and a locked door, so that blobbernauts can't simply fetch the loot and have the blob eat it, but still easy enough for a blob to simply chew through to consume the contents.

There could also be minor loot rooms in front of the blob too, with tools that can be actively used to fight the blob (lasers, rechargers, welding tools) which encourages it to expand forwards first to deny important assets to an away crew wanting to fight the blob. Some or all of these could be made accessible to blobbernauts, who will obviously want to work to deny blob-fighting tools and gives nauts something to do at first besides swarm the gateway.

There should also be plenty of corpses to give aspiring blobs an early bolster to defense in the form of spore zombies. Also naturally because it makes sense for there to be corpses in a station that's recently had to deal an outbreak of Blobitis.

The away mission needs to be littered with decorations that show signs that this blob wasn't the only one. Have plenty of dead blob tiles all over the place (especially around the gateway entrance so that crew will have to hack through ~something~ to start fighting the blob right away) as evidence that there's a blob menace that's been plaguing this station and it's been nearly successful at eating the entire damn thing at least once. neutral blob spore mobs and also maybe a blobbernaut mob hanging around will also give the crew a small distraction before they can fight the blob to give it time to make preparations and have a head start in expanding.

Normal blob rounds have blobs that get a head start through the element of surprise (assuming they don't pop right out in the open like a fucking dumbshit), but with the away mission, the crew will immediately know there's a blob, and where to find it, and there has to be something early to force the crew to wade through to give the away blob proper time to make early moves so it's not helpless.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #148377

An admin did this on Basil some time ago, I rolled blob antag rolled at the 1 hour 20 minute mark and one of the admins asked to borrow one of my nodes and placed it on the Away mission (it was the one with the bullet casings every fucking where). It was actually rather fun though the crew already had x-rays by virtue of it being a 1>hour round and I was on both the Away Mission and Station z-levels so I was doing a dual pronged attack.