Plasmamen are highly unstable and dangerous on death

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Plasmamen are highly unstable and dangerous on death

Post by Stickymayhem » #162186

So I've been pushing a general idea of how plasmamen roleplay could go, generally making them a positive influence on the station.

But I thought an interesting angle would be a race that is helpful and a bit fragile while alive, that tries to avoid physical conflict because on death they are so highly-destructive.

Basically on death, Plasmamen will become highly unstable and cause a variety of dangerous and deadly effects.

Any and all of the following might be something I add later when I hopefully code this:

- Igniting on death (as now, but it burns through any clothing and items they may have)
- Detonating immediately with a randomly sized explosion (Nothing insane but enough to worry people killing them)
- Detonating after a random amount of time with a randomly sized explosion
- Immediately disintegrating into a large plasma cloud, essentially decomposing into plasma and gibbing them
- Burn hot like thermite, causing damage to those in a small radius and damaging walls and maybe eating through floors
- Some EMP things, or spawning a minimum sized tesla or stable singularity (e.g. the singularity/academy that doesn't grow) rarely

None of these would trigger on suicide to prevent abuse, and obviously people who fuck around with this on purpose will get blacklisted from the race anyway. The odds could be affected by more burn/brute damage increasing the likelihood of terrible things happening, making a violent death more dangerous than just suffocating.

Anyway this lends itself to the hardmode theme quite nicely, as well as giving them legit reasons to not want to get into conflicts unnecessarily, and maybe affecting some gamemodes in minor ways too. A murderboner that bumps into a plasmaman isn't going to be able to use the exact same killing technique he used on the last 20 people unless he wants to risk being killed in the blast.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Re: Plasmamen are highly unstable and dangerous on death

Post by Archie700 » #162187

suicide bomber plasmamen

That is all I have to say.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #162188

Archie700 wrote:suicide bomber plasmamen

Blacklist.

Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #162189

Stickymayhem wrote:

Blacklist.

Antag plasmamen.

Though I guess antags can use this to force a negotiation. LIKE "DROP YOUR WEAPON OR I KILL THIS PLASMAMAN AND UNLEASH HARM"
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #162190

Archie700 wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

Blacklist.

Antag plasmamen.

Though I guess antags can use this to force a negotiation. LIKE "DROP YOUR WEAPON OR I KILL THIS PLASMAMAN AND UNLEASH HARM"
>>>EMERGENT GAMEPLAY<<<

WELL DONE YOU EMERGENTED

Downside to antag plasmamen is you're fragile, non-human, have one life before you're almost certainly removed from the round forever, can't really disguise as anyone useful and are more likely to encounter random chucklefucks messing with you and your murderbone.

Upside is when you die you might randomly cause some damage.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #162197

They should start burning, after about 20 seconds they should just decompose into skeleton and a large plasma cloud that ignites.
I play Boris Pepper.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #162207

That sounds good, but the issues with flash/headset protection ought to be merged first given certain conversion antags can do little but kill them at the moment.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #162209

@Cheimon It's a high priority on the to-do list, don't worry.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162211

When Plasmaman falls on the ground, don't risk it, and chuck it out of a nearest airlock!
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #162213

Bluespace has the right idea.

There perhaps should be a extreme way to preserve a corpse for a limited time, such as placing it into a extremely cold environment that doing so would delay the rapid decomposition, perhaps to try and salvage their brain in time, or perhaps delaying decomposition for long enough may eventually generate a more powerful effect when the decomposition finishes?
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #162215

Lumbermancer wrote:When Plasmaman falls on the ground, don't risk it, and chuck it out of a nearest airlock!
Exactly!

Makes sense with the hardmode thing, it's risky and exciting because they could explode while you're handling them, or ignite everything. Grab a firesuit or bombsuit and drag them out the airlock or eject them!
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #162216

Steelpoint wrote:Bluespace has the right idea.

There perhaps should be a extreme way to preserve a corpse for a limited time, such as placing it into a extremely cold environment that doing so would delay the rapid decomposition, perhaps to try and salvage their brain in time, or perhaps delaying decomposition for long enough may eventually generate a more powerful effect when the decomposition finishes?
This is cool but more complicated than I'm capable of coding I think. Maybe reducing their temperature, with a cold room, space or temperature guns. Or freezing chemicals.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #162217

Making it based on cold temperature would make a spaced Plasmamen even more dangerous however, since if their body does not get clear of the station you go from a small plasmafire into a possibly good sized explosion.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #162219

Steelpoint wrote:Making it based on cold temperature would make a spaced Plasmamen even more dangerous however, since if their body does not get clear of the station you go from a small plasmafire into a possibly good sized explosion.
Even better. Get them to the ejector or physically chuck them out of the station.

Or maybe once they warm up again they detonate. So the longer they are cold the more the 'pressure' builds before the final result when they warm up maxes out at an explosion.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #162220

Seems more consistent than just reducing the countdown, and can allow for weaponizing Plasmaman corpses.

----

Off topic but Plasmamen remind me of something...
Spoiler:
Venticular
Byond Username: Venticuiliar

Post by Venticular » #162221

Steelpoint wrote:Seems more consistent than just reducing the countdown, and can allow for weaponizing Plasmaman corpses.

----

Off topic but Plasmamen remind me of something...
Spoiler:
"You think Plasma is your ally, but you were merely adopted by it. I was born in it, molded by it."
My characters are Frank Lowe and Mel Cousins. I also play as CORION OS, the AI and Brainstorm the borg.
"I don't fail at much, but caring is one of them" -some guy

I'm actually back now bitches!
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162225

Stickymayhem wrote:Exactly!

Makes sense with the hardmode thing, it's risky and exciting because they could explode while you're handling them, or ignite everything. Grab a firesuit or bombsuit and drag them out the airlock or eject them!
See this is what I don't like. It's one thing to subject oneself to the "hardmode", but to impose it upon others as well?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #162228

Lumbermancer wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:Exactly!

See this is what I don't like. It's one thing to subject oneself to the "hardmode", but to impose it upon others as well?
For everyone else it's just something different though. For Plasmamen it's a one-life deal without significant intervention.

A dead plasmaman the kind of minor hazards we should have more of. They make the station more interesting when things are quiet and require some thought depending on the situation.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #162236

Make them blow up on death.

Then make them charge the APC of any room they're currently in.

Then make them green.

Then call them Zoltan.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #162252

Wouldn't this be a buff to plasmamen, both antag and non-antag? As is, nobody's gonna revive you for shit if you're a downed plasmaman so you still essentially just have one life. But now people would be less likely to beat the shit out of you and, hell, I think doctors would prioritize saving a plasmaman in crit to prevent station damage.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #162258

And you couldn't Law 2 AI into doing anything to it, since killing it relases harm. Hell, even ordering it to stop one killing humans on the basis of Law 1 is a gray area.

Still, a neat idea. Just keep it from being too decisive, since having 10 plasmamen onboard that when die make parts of the station uninhabitable is a bit too close to macrobomb madness.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #162275

Stickymayhem wrote:

Blacklist.

Sorry sticky, race bans were rejected. You can't blacklist people.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #162284

Stickymayhem wrote:
Archie700 wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

Blacklist.

Antag plasmamen.

>>>EMERGENT GAMEPLAY<<<

WELL DONE YOU EMERGENTED

Downside to antag plasmamen is you're fragile, non-human, have one life before you're almost certainly removed from the round forever, can't really disguise as anyone useful and are more likely to encounter random chucklefucks messing with you and your murderbone.

Upside is when you die you might randomly cause some damage.
Unless you somehow make a room full of plasma with a autocloner
The future is horrible!
PlaugeWalker
Byond Username: PlaugeWalker

Post by PlaugeWalker » #162311

This sort of stuff needs to stop being a thing. Most the chucklefuck md's won't bother trying to rez you, so in all honestly what's the point of making them more volatile when this would just be abused to high hell.
Image\