Eliminating the "grief lottery".

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Eliminating the "grief lottery".

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164670

Bottom post of the previous page:

Scott wrote:SS13 is not a very good game for deathmatch.
i disagree, it's one of the best games for deathmatch
>inb4 "but all you do is click on the guy 1000 times haha how hard can it really be? :^)"
you know there's more to it than that. our combat system is ridiculously large and there are tons more ways to fight than just clicking on a dude 1000 times/more optimal ways to click on dudes/forts you can make to keep dude-clickers out. gangs defending their dominator is a good example of what i mean.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #164690

duncathan wrote:If you can't repair a big hole in a matter of minutes with an RPD you're not a great atmos tech
Fixing the hole with metal is the easiest part, trying to pipe it back in a way that repressurizes ALONG with fixing the FUCKING DISPOSALS SYSTEM [god fuck the disposals system] is what takes forever.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #164723

It doesn't take long, you're just lazy.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #164725

PKPenguin321 wrote:
>inb4 "but all you do is click on the guy 1000 times haha how hard can it really be? :^)"
you know there's more to it than that. our combat system is ridiculously large and there are tons more ways to fight than just clicking on a dude 1000 times/more optimal ways to click on dudes/forts you can make to keep dude-clickers out. gangs defending their dominator is a good example of what i mean.

The controls are garbage, therefore it is not a good game for combat.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #164730

I think Ausops and Lumi have fair points on the subject, though it is a bit annoying how some people seem to insist to on calling the shuttle for one arbitrary reason or another as soon as possible.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #164733

I suggest we reintroduce the Tensioner at one hour when the player count is above 60.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164743

Scott wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

The controls are garbage, therefore it is not a good game for combat.
i think the complexity of the systems behind damage and combat more than make up for that.
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #164749

Those systems aren't enjoyable in combat. Neither the victim nor the attacker cares about shit like "oh he was targeting my legs to negate my armor" or "welders deal burn damage" or any of that nonsense. You can make a case that the gamemodes themselves create a fun structure but that's not what's at issue here. That exact structure could be replicated in another game and be many times funner.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164750

if that were the case i would play those other "funner" games instead of this one, yet i stay here and play this one instead. and maybe i'm just autistic but i actually do take into consideration things like "welders deal burn damage" during combat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #164792

PKPenguin321 wrote:if that were the case i would play those other "funner" games instead of this one, yet i stay here and play this one instead. and maybe i'm just autistic but i actually do take into consideration things like "welders deal burn damage" during combat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
no you're good misterperson is just a dumpus
Fonedsky
Byond Username: FonedSky

Post by Fonedsky » #164828

imblyings wrote:
It's got nothing to do with antag rolls or 'roleplay', muh antag rolls is a non-issue and this fucking meme usage of a meme catchword is a non-solution since you can have terrific 'roleplay' in a fifteen minute round as long as people play together. Maybe just maybe, after years of playing the same game, players have just about encountered the common gamut of things they can experience and instead of stagnating, they'd like to just get a fresh start. If there ever is a solution it's vast swathes of new PvE content like lavaworld and some of the recent cargo changes which give players something to explore and work out, while somehow linking that and making it relevant to current content. Content for example that by design can't be finished after an hour, the sort of mystical end-game content that really needs cooperation from a lot of sectors. If content like that is offered on a regular but not common basis, you will see players willingly playing a longer round and 'roleplaying' together to try and beat it.
this
you know
i'm fucking tired
i'm burned out, and then i go out for five months or so, and when i come back it's still the same fucking bullshit
we need more crap like lavaland. bigger stuff. stuff that i can spend time learning and enjoying. i've learned pretty much every game mechanic in hell, 2 years of playing this shitty ass game and nothing feels great anymore
i feel bored, i don't feel like playing out a round for like a hour anymore because what's the fucking point
i've already done science a shitton. there's nothing more to see, i don't want to do super autimos projects because rounds barely last enough for me to do it
engineering is barely even worth playing, considering that fixing stuff is a shittier option than just calling the shuttle anyways
cargo was the sole thing i played when i first started. now i know everything there is to know about it. there's no point. pushing crates is boring. there's no action. it's just waiting 2 minutes for some crappy shuttle to arrive, take crates from it and then be autismal with the content, then putting crates back inside for meaningless points
mining is one of the few things i still enjoy because it's quiet, saves you from the trouble with dealing with the station and crew's problems, and you get to have fun battling monsters as well, which is why i love lavaland
along other things i'm not going to even bother explaining
at this point i suicide when i don't get antag because honestly everything in this game got awful after i lost the sense of wonder and discovery i had when i first played
at least being a antag lets me have fun by fucking with crew, which isn't restrained to just mindless killing, instead of having to dilligently do my job which gets shitty the 999th time of doing RnD/pushing crates/fixing crap/making robots/whatever
if there was a new job, or a new department, or, (gasp), maybe something big and new for people to give a fuck about like lavaland
in the entire year i was permabanned from /tg/, i went to have fun in other servers and when i came back it was still the same old shit with nothing fucking interesting
a
year
and nothing fucking mattered anyways. so why i should take a b reak for 5 months when a year didn't matter?
holoparas i learned what they do in seconds, and they're still boring to me, and to play because my masters never do anything interesting with me. abductors and morphs are THE SHIT but sadly morphs never happen and abductors are kinda sorta rare anyways and when they do happen i can't even play as them, blob chems are okay i guess but they barely matter in the long run
maybe space station 13 isn't the game for me anymore, and i should play a different game altogether, but whatever.
Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Post by Smeller » #164966

Honestly people, if you're not having fun playing SS13 anymore you should really try out bay if you haven't already. I love tg but once you've learned most of the stuff it gets boring, considering nothing new ever happens, as it really lacks RP
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #164979

There's a reason why most people eventually leave SS13 for good, you can only play the same game so many times.

Some game's have great re playability, and SS13 is among them, but even that can take you so far.

It also depends on the kind of person you are.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164981

Steelpoint wrote:There's a reason why most people eventually leave SS13 for good, you can only play the same game so many times.

Some game's have great re playability, and SS13 is among them, but even that can take you so far.

It also depends on the kind of person you are.
icepacks has been around since like what, 2006? so yeah i'd say it just depends on who you are
i can see myself sticking around for a long while
Spoiler: