Using a multi-tool/other tool to link buttons to machinery

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Using a multi-tool/other tool to link buttons to machinery

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #167570

Bit bigger than a minor suggestion in some aspects of the word, recently testing them out i was left a bit flat with my experience with them.

Basically, by scanning over a button (constructable for one sheet) and then a open interface door, the two can be tied together.

> The button relays the player's ID touch to the door which checks the corresponding ID if relevant with ID scan on by default

> No ID check buttons would likely require additional steps to stop abuse & newly placed buttons would likely require welding with a industrial or upgraded welder model to maintain strength and make it less straightforward to screwdriver it open and reconfigure.

Obviously if we are going to have more refined door buttons, then having buttons connect to particular functions would also be a immense help.

> Independent APC breaker/lighting/environment/machinery/cover ON/OFF trigger buttons (with or without custom ID scan that take batteries themselves to remain functional even after breaker collapse)
> Buttons pre-placed or self placed attached to security consoles to configure what named feed you are looking at or circulate the feed suitable for places like the wardens office
> Nightmarish pre built or self built AI room full of horrendous buttons
> Doorbells (HONK! / HALP SHITCURITY)
> Buttons tied to chemical implants/tracking implants (for pre-recorded messages or a ringing message of location) /electropacks/electric chairs.
> Buttons linked to my shirt with wire as accessory.
> Have you stopped reading yet?
> Buttons.

Im still churning over more ideas but this is a summary, feedback would be nice. :honk:

Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Using a multi-tool/other tool to link buttons to machine

Post by MisterPerson » #167659

Having a button relay a command is easy. Having stuff follow said commands is really complicated. Right now any machines that talk to each other do so in a hardcoded, unique to that object way.

How do you want this to be, exactly? Like each machine has a single "button action" that happens when any button triggers it or maybe an interface on the completed button to choose its action? Or maybe a choice on construction? There's a lot of ways this could go.

This is a good idea though. Lots of flexibility and dynamicism and avenues for creativity if done right.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Re: Using a multi-tool/other tool to link buttons to machine

Post by Topham » #167708

It's always bothered me when things were completely untouchable by the common man, like buttons and gas injectors. It's like a select few things in the universe are arbitrarily protected by the will of God himself. So I'm all for bringing stuff like that down to a more reasonable level.