Botany: added seed modification effects

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Botany: added seed modification effects

Post by Dagdammit » #209859

Trait Inheritance
When you edit the seeds to give their plants the "bioluminescence" trait, the following plant-derived items could comtinue to emit light:

-walking mushrooms
-grass floors
-carved pumpkins
-pod people (when species is overwritten to plant person.)

All of the above could also inherit the "slippery skin" trait (I'm imagining pod people would only slip others when lying down?) In both cases pod people could give a notice when inspected ("their body glows softly" "their skin has an oily sheen") and grass floors could have "oily" and "glowing" adjectives added to their mouseover names.

Reagent inheritance
-NPC walking mushrooms could be set to contain whatever reagents their plant version had. Not sure how that'd work with NPC code, though. Main use case I envisioned was for traitor botanist to splice black powder production from cherry bomb seeds into walking mushroom seed pack, creating NPC walking mushrooms that now explode if set on fire; that might work better as specific-case implementation, idk.
-Plant people could inherit reusable chem implants (with X-minute cooldowns) containing whatever reagents their seeds were modified to produce.
--Alternately, the regular injection of that reagent could be automatic, no player input needed (and perhaps no notice given). Clone a plant person who's regularly dosed with space drugs, or sulfuric acid! Laugh heartily at the hell their life has become!
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Re: Botany: added seed modification effects

Post by Reece » #209869

Slippery Kudzu coated in deathnettle acid...I cannot even begin to imagine the hell that would create, especially as it would dissolve all your clothes as well. Or hell, adding in the ghost chili effect to burn you alive as well. Glorious.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #209908

What other non-reagent seed traits are there, anyway? I'm blanking on anything except the thing bluespace tomatoes get (IIRC), and that didn't feel too relevant. Though I suppose you could give pod clones the reactive teleport ability.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #209910

Reece wrote:Slippery Kudzu coated in deathnettle acid...I cannot even begin to imagine the hell that would create, especially as it would dissolve all your clothes as well. Or hell, adding in the ghost chili effect to burn you alive as well. Glorious.
Not much comment on Kudzu, since that already has its own systems on some servers and I haven't investigated myself. Though that does suggest a fascinating option for grass floor reagent inheritance- going prone on a grass floor tile (or whatever conditions also trigger "you lie down on broken glass!") effectively *splashes* you with the reagents that grass was spliced to produce. You could maybe have it be labeled "odd grass floor tile" and have it be the same color a beaker of those reagents would have (or just have it say the roots are that color when someone inspects it).
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #209945

Slippery skin should obviously prevent you from being aggro-grabbed, at the cost of flying in a random direction.

Also, fuck giving pod clones reactive teleport. Give them reverse-reactive teleport - anything that makes contact with their blood excepting syringes et al gets teleported and the blood is consumed in the process.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #210123

DemonFiren wrote:Slippery skin should obviously prevent you from being aggro-grabbed, at the cost of flying in a random direction.

Also, fuck giving pod clones reactive teleport. Give them reverse-reactive teleport - anything that makes contact with their blood excepting syringes et al gets teleported and the blood is consumed in the process.
Including anyone who steps in their bloodstain?

Blood being consumed in the process makes sense.