Job abilities

A place to record your ideas for the game.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Job abilities

Post by calzilla1 » #211921

Like the mime ,there should be abilities for some more jobs. The chef, for instance, could be the only one to sharpen things, and the whet some could have multiple uses. The Roboticist could be a lot more quick when augmenting. The assistant could have seizures every 5 seconds. Security could punch harder, ect.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Job abilities

Post by Wyzack » #211927

Eh, i think unless it is purely small and mostly useless things it is a bad idea and will only cause powergame problems. We do actually have a few though. There is mime/clown uniqueness, plus bartenders can throw glasses and have the contents not spill
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #211952

Engineers/Atmos techs could start with their notes containing what the door wires are.
Chemists could be able to identify what a chemical mixture is primarily composed of (A beaker containing 35u of iron and 15u of water that's examined by a chemist will let them deduce that 35u is iron with the remainder being unknown).
Librarians can summon a copy of WGW on a cooldown at will.
Detectives gets intuition and can examine a crime scene without a forensic analyzer but can only tell who 'last' touched whatever they're examining.
Virologists start with immunity to the common cold and any other disease that's similar to it.
Medical doctors are marginally faster at surgery.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #211959

Wyzack wrote:Eh, i think unless it is purely small and mostly useless things it is a bad idea and will only cause powergame problems. We do actually have a few though. There is mime/clown uniqueness, plus bartenders can throw glasses and have the contents not spill
What about the chaplain? 2 whole game modes revolve around him and his powers!
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #212010

I'm fine with status quo on this one. Chaplain and comic relief are exceptions which prove the rule.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #212064

To be honest rather than granting special powers we should make people unable to use complex equipment not associated with their job. Lifeweb did it with it's skill system, and it worked way better than I expected. It turned out that when people knew they would need someone else, not just the machines in their workplace, they tend to act less shitty to them.

Of course actually getting this in game would cause riots, the server would burn down, etc etc etc.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #212077

Not being able to use machines unrelated to your job ruins skeleton crews, who probably don't even have all the jobs in the first place. What if you need power, but there's no engineer?
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #212086

TheNightingale wrote:Not being able to use machines unrelated to your job ruins skeleton crews, who probably don't even have all the jobs in the first place. What if you need power, but there's no engineer?
Engineers are the only job that completely screws the station if they don't do five minutes of work. Frankly, I think the engine in particular is a problem, it should start set up but for pressing the button on the PA (which you could let non-engineers do.)

For every other job, the answer is "Live without it, you don't need to be everything at all times."
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #212102

People have forgotten how to work the solars nowadays.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #212115

Anonmare wrote:People have forgotten how to work the solars nowadays.
Learning to wire them is engineering 101, as CE I have the novices start with that before they ever touch tesla or sing. Half the veteran engineers will default to wiring solars as soon as they've set up engine and backup power.

Or are you talking about the good old days when you had to rotate their direction by hand or something?
Drynwyn wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:Not being able to use machines unrelated to your job ruins skeleton crews, who probably don't even have all the jobs in the first place. What if you need power, but there's no engineer?
Engineers are the only job that completely screws the station if they don't do five minutes of work. Frankly, I think the engine in particular is a problem, it should start set up but for pressing the button on the PA (which you could let non-engineers do.)
Hell no, the entire point of the PA engines is that it's this long series of steps and if you fuck something up the whole station's in big trouble. Like.... the primary value isn't that the sing DOES get unleashed, it's that it COULD.

I do wish there was something you could do once it was unleashed, mind. Some kind of reasonably doable measure that, once deployed, would keep sing from eating much more than it has already. Tesla has something like that, admittedly.

And yes, station is kinda screwed if Engineers don't engineer and the Heads fail to do something about it, but... that's kind of the premise of what an engineer is. It's like complaining that sec can brig people, they're station security, that's what a space station's security would DO.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #217906

CIVILLIAN

Chef is only one able to sharpen items

Botanist slowly heal brain damage when exposed to space drugs

Bartender keeps throw without spilling, and heals stamina damage from booze

Mime is fine

Clown heals 5 of all damage if someone laugh emotes within 5 squares of them

Janitor deal an extra 5 stamina damage when attacking with their mop.

CARGO

Quartermaster is PDA messaged every purchase

Cargo techs are not blocked by crates.

Miners are special snowflakes as it is.

SECURITY
Security is 1/4 faster at putting on handcuffs/zipties

Warden is immune to flashes even without sunglasses.

HoS does extra damage with harmbatons.

Detective can partially forensic scan, seeing the last to touch the object

Lawyer get OBJECTION power, which forces all security forces to holster their weapons. Long cooldown

MEDICAL

Medical doctors don't need medical scanners to see which limbs are damaged, or if they are suffering from toxin or O2 damage when examined

Geneticist gets minor resistance to radiation damage.

Virologist are immune to common diseases.

Chemists get the barkeeps "Thrown containers don't spill" power

CMO is much faster at surgery

Engineering

Engineers automatically know door and vending machine wires.

Chief Engineer builds everything faster.

Atmos techs heal a small amount of brute and burn damage when breathing plasma.

SCIENCE

Scientists get a small hud indicator for which direction an explosion comes from

RD doesn't need science googles to know the tech levels of examined items

Roboticist perform augmention surgery slightly faster

Random thoughts for this thread.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #217908

Chemists should also have a slightly higher reagent cap within their bodies.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #217931

I hope you're joking about half of them
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #217954

Lawyers should be able to make objection bubbles appear on top of the selected tile, so that they can object right into people's faces.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #217964

DemonFiren wrote:Chemists should also have a slightly higher reagent cap within their bodies.
1000 not enough?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #217978

Give detectives a slightly higher alcohol tolerance please
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #217988

kevinz000 wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Chemists should also have a slightly higher reagent cap within their bodies.
1000 not enough?
5000 would be better.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #217999

the inherent issue with job abilities is that 1. it makes them harder to disguise as them 2. it keeps other players from taking them and exploiting them for their own purposes, limiting gameplay potential. this isn't true for everything, of course, such as the clown causing the singularity to grow/shrink at random when eaten. lawyer's unique speech bubbles is a good example, as it's tied to a jumpsuit attachment instead of being built in. bartender's throw-without-spilling ability should really be moved to gloves or something.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #218037

Job abilities really should be minor and/or difficult to confirm they have or not, like a viro's common disease immunity.

Also it's metagaming to act on a clown who isn't clumsy (traitor and changeling clowns don't have the clumsiness disability) so we could probably extend that rule without too much issue. The Clown's clumsiness doesn't spring up too often usually so job abilities shouldn't be more noticeable than that.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #218046

that is why i think det's alcohol resistance would be a good one, it is easy to fake
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster