Make clowns funny again

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Make clowns funny again

Post by Slignerd » #219632

Clowns were originally intended as a punishment role and a laughing stock. Over time, they changed and went on to make fun at the expense of crew, becoming a license to grief instead.

We should go back to how things should be, restore the balance and add stuff that will make crew laugh at the clowns instead of the other way around. Stuff like random chance of tripping or being easier to push while wearing clown shoes.

Since being the "funny man" means you get a free pass to stir up trouble, why not add some disadvantages to that?
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Re: Make clowns funny again

Post by Professor Hangar » #219642

This is one of those delicate balancing acts. Too weak and they're legitimately unfun and no one wants to play them, too strong and they're a license to griff.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #219691

i think they're fine as they are now personally, clowns are already at a disadvantage due to being unable to use guns/stunprods/cuffs without risking fucking yourself over, slow movement speed due to shoes (if you take them off you deserve to be gibbed tbqh), and the crew's generalized attitude of looking for any excuse to lynch and space you. i actually think they need a small buff in terms of survivability, honestly.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #219696

There's nothing mechanically wrong with Clowns. It's the community and gameplay meta that's the problem.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219701

Clown shoes already slow you down and clowns are innately clumsy. Literally git gud if you get dunked
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #219713

It's not about being dunked, it's about making them a laughing stock they should be.

Can you imagine how fun it would be to see a clown randomly tripping on its own shoes? Landing on the floor from an assistant's single push? Accidentally drop an airhorn out of clumsiness and have it stolen from them? :) At last they'd be the entertainers the crew deserve.

Way more amusing that the same old annoyance of overusing banana peels, assaulting people and breaking stuff, that's for sure.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #219721

I think there should be a little more diversity in terms of comedy props. Like a buzzer that makes you incapable of moving for half a second and plays the same sound effect as getting airlock-shocked (decent cooldown so it couldn't be abused as a weapon). You could make it invisible on examine and lacking in an in-hand sprite for maximum surprise. Clowns could have a 25% chance of shocking themselves with it.

I've also suggested being able to make remote firing assemblies for guns, just use a cap gun in place of an actual firearm or a foam force gun. It'd be pretty funny to scare the crap out of the captain by putting a cap gun hooked up to said assembly (set to a motion/laser trip-wire trigger) in their bedroom along with some cardboard Nuke OP cut-outs.

Another idea might be a sound synthesizer that can play some generic sound files (and with some tools, can be modded to play some more antagonist themed sound effects). Bonus points if they can be hooked up to remote assemblies and hidden under floors.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219724

>Half a second
>25% chance to shock yourself

Make it 3 seconds and remove the self-stun and I'd be down to clown
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #219913

Personally I found slipping people and feeding them a poison cocktail from a beer bottle while playing sad trombone sounds pretty darn hilarious.

But that might just be me.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #219984

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Half a second

It's a prank not stun gloves you retard
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #219988

iamgoofball wrote:

3 seconds, but they stun both of you. zing!
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #220001

clowns should tell jokes not get gimmicks

yes I realize I coded a clown gimmick
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #220012

this will never happen but we should make juggling a thing, juggle up to x amount of object and if you bump into a wall/somebody else you drop all of them on yourself. i want to see clowns juggling chainsaws man

also, why the actual flying fuck dont we have unicycles? i would also personally like to see the clown car be implemented but again that will never happen
Last edited by Deitus on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #220014

bandit wrote:clowns should tell jokes not get gimmicks

Code mime gimmicks to compensate.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #220015

DemonFiren wrote:

mimes are already OP clowns, all the shitlery of a normal clown but no clumsy checks and a fucking invisible wall that blocks all projectiles. make clowns great again
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #220017

That's my point.
Mimes have no choice but to be shitters. Give them something to actually entertain people with. Sure, slap on some downsides if you think it necessary, but pull them out of the pit they're in.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #220019

Deitus wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:

mimes are already OP clowns, all the shitlery of a normal clown but no clumsy checks and a fucking invisible wall that blocks all projectiles. make clowns great again
Make it so clowns do extra damage to mimes. They can be the savior that rescues the crew from greytiding mimes.
DemonFiren wrote:That's my point.
Mimes have no choice but to be shitters. Give them something to actually entertain people with. Sure, slap on some downsides if you think it necessary, but pull them out of the pit they're in.
They could do what they're supposed to do and actually do mime stuff. Act out the typical antics crew members get into by doing shit like pretending to hack an invisible airlock only to get zapped by it. Try to pantomime the entirety of WGW. Do the whole stuck in a glass box thing and add a twist on it where there's no air in the box.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #220034

When I was a mime I would mime being a animu Mary sue and throw invisible ki blasts
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #220039

Mimes can't talk. If they get attacked in maint they can't chelp there's nukers or whatever, that's a pretty rough nerf.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #220040

iamgoofball wrote:

It's just a prank bro
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #220043

You guys got this whole thing wrong again.

Crew should have means to abuse clowns and laugh at their misfortune, not the other way around.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #220045

Sligneris wrote:You guys got this whole thing wrong again.

Crew should have means to abuse clowns and laugh at their misfortune, not the other way around.
the crew already looks for the barest reason to lynch the clown, they dont need more reason to be shit on
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #220154

ShadowDimentio wrote:Mimes can't talk. If they get attacked in maint they can't chelp there's nukers or whatever, that's a pretty rough nerf.

Well they can but usually a mime who talks will have their murderer given a medal, not arrested
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #220296

Super Aggro Crag wrote:When I was a mime I would mime being a animu Mary sue and throw invisible ki blasts
I remember playing one and hunting xenos with the bartender and some assistants. Cocked and fired an invisible shotgun before being faceraped.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #220372

Clowns were added as a griefer punishment, have become the single most iconic thing about SS13. I'm not seeing much of a glory days to return to.

That said, Armhulen's idea of a MUTUAL incap effect? Something that's guaranteed to slip/stun the clown at least as long as it does their target? I think that be a genuinely great idea. I can get behind a skilled clown being less bugs bunny (always makes the other person a buffoon and laughs), more someone who makes themselves just as much of one.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #221218

no because clown will just team up with other people and it will get nerfed when security lobby complains, so we won't merge it.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #221235

Clowns need a one shot use of the HONKblaster. Using it causes them to go mute for a long time, deals massive stamina damage to the clown, and is again a one shot ability.

The ultimate HONK
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #221302

Why do we even have mimes again?

Clown could use more joke items and things to prank people with like whoopie cushions, hand buzzers or a way to rig a pie or bucket of water to a door so the person gets hit when they walk though. Non lethal non stunning of course, but enough to be noticeable when it happens and would expand the list of tator items they can get.

Also a clown specific vending machine that the clown that works like mining in that doing certain actions or pranks gives the clown points he can spend on better loot and prank items, the clown hardsuit could be moved to this machine. As balance the hop, hos or captain could inspect the machine and wipe out points if the clown is being shit.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #221306

I'd tell you why we have mimes, but that would go against the vow.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #221315

If it's just a "Slip X people to unlock Y" system it'd be shit. You'd have endless amounts of shit clowns just mass slipping people. If you want a reward system for clowns pranking, you need to find a way to make the quality of the prank come from the person who suffered it, or watched it happen. Only way I could figure it is have the clown track how many people laugh around them, or say Honk in the are around them. It registers name so you can't have a clown friend just stand them and laugh/honk endlessly at the clown for easy points either.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag