[POLL] Roundstart logouts and suicides reduce Antag chance

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should Roundstart logouts and suicides reduce antag chance?

Yes
17%
Yes
17%
Yes
17%
No
14%
No
14%
No
14%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 87

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

[POLL] Roundstart logouts and suicides reduce Antag chance

Post by Remie Richards » #22301

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/4306

Main:
Logging out or suiciding before a Defined ROUNDSTART_END_TIME (Defaults to 10 minutes) resorts in a variable on your savefile roundstart_logout_and_suicide_count going up by 1.
When rolling for an antagonist role, this is taken into account.
if roundstart_logout_and_suicide_count is between 2 defines, a MIN and a MAX the current antag loop ends, and you're placed back into the pool (so you were technically punished, but can still roll a lucky antag).
if it's between the MAX and INFINITY you are removed form the candidate list entirely for that round.
Admins can bypass this entirely using the usual create antagonist procs.
Whenever you are present for a round end, be in natural or by an Admin, your roundstart_logout_and_suicide_count is reduced by 1, allowing you to "earn" your normal antag rolls back overtime.

Why:
This is designed to encourage players staying in the round, and to discourage "I didn't get antag? Disconnect" behaviour.
Last edited by Remie Richards on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
私は完璧
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Re: [POLL] Roundstart logouts reduce Antag chance

Post by Reimoo » #22302

What if people logout/suicide/space themselves immediately after 10 minutes then? What if someone is killed before 10 minutes and they logout? What if OOC issues pull someone away from the computer before 10 minutes? What if power outages/internet hiccups disconnect someone before 10 minutes? Regardless of the time limit, these issues still exist. Too many what ifs.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #22305

Reimoo wrote:What if people logout/suicide/space themselves immediately after 10 minutes then? What if someone is killed before 10 minutes and they logout? What if OOC issues pull someone away from the computer before 10 minutes? What if power outages/internet hiccups disconnect someone before 10 minutes? Regardless of the time limit, these issues still exist. Too many what ifs.
Working with Rock to go through issues.
Suiciding is logged now.
私は完璧
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Re: [POLL] Roundstart logouts and suicides reduce Antag chan

Post by Rockdtben » #22310

FYI: Poll has no influence on this getting in or not.

I don't support automated punishment, but the data tracking portion of this will get into the ban DB.
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #22313

I voted no but only if it's Assistants.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22314

Reimoo wrote:What if people logout/suicide/space themselves immediately after 10 minutes then? What if someone is killed before 10 minutes and they logout? What if OOC issues pull someone away from the computer before 10 minutes? What if power outages/internet hiccups disconnect someone before 10 minutes? Regardless of the time limit, these issues still exist. Too many what ifs.
Pretty much. Don't we already have roundstart report that goes through to admins? I think making lowered antagonist chances would be a fine addition to admin arsenal, but as it stands it will hit too many wrong targets. Leave the logging in it, but let admins adjust it (in case it was ahelped) and don't make it automatically punish someone.

Not to mention that it's generally okay to leave as a role that is not important. Sometimes I roll to see if I get anything interesting (not an antag, a job) and if I don't, I just leave. What's wrong with that, if nobody else would get the slot anyway?
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #22315

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Pretty much. Don't we already have roundstart report that goes through to admins? I think making lowered antagonist chances would be a fine addition to admin arsenal, but as it stands it will hit too many wrong targets. Leave the logging in it, but let admins adjust it (in case it was ahelped) and don't make it automatically punish someone.

Not to mention that it's generally okay to leave as a role that is not important. Sometimes I roll to see if I get anything interesting (not an antag, a job) and if I don't, I just leave. What's wrong with that, if nobody else would get the slot anyway?
The report only covers important roles if I recall correctly. This would persistently cover that. Also I'll make sure to add the players current roll to the log.
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #22317

Rockdtben wrote:FYI: Poll has no influence on this getting in or not.

I don't support automated punishment, but the data tracking portion of this will get into the ban DB.
I just want to gather opinion, but fair enough.
私は完璧
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22320

To be fair, I've seen quite a few people go braindead at the start of the round lately. Still, I think it should be reviewed on case-by-case basis by admins. Currently there is no ruling that I know of that doesn't allow you to leave or suicide if you are not a head.

I just realized that this is all pointless anyway and only will hurt people who disconnected because they had to for OOC reasons or power outage or whatever. Because I can just not use suicide verb and instead throw myself into space. If you track people who are in space, you will also track people who were killed and spaced. If you find a way around that (like I dunno, lack of logs of anyone interacting with me), I will ask chef to gib me or chaplain to space me. So yeah, I think ultimately this is rather pointless.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #22325

I think a good idea would be to give this functionality to be manually applied by admins as a lighter alternative to outright antag banning people for this kind of behaviour.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #22328

Why does everyone suddenly want to reduce antag. chances?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #22329

Not sure about giving this power to admins. Will the player have any way to tell if his antag chances have been messed with? I hope so, otherwise players will not be able to tell if their chances have been unfairly reduced for whatever reason.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #22335

Lovecraft wrote:Why does everyone suddenly want to reduce antag. chances?
well the pessimist in me would say that they want it because "a reduced chance for people who don't play the game like I play it" is the same thing as "an improved chance for me"
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #22337

Incoming wrote:
Lovecraft wrote:Why does everyone suddenly want to reduce antag. chances?
well the pessimist in me would say that they want it because "a reduced chance for people who don't play the game like I play it" is the same thing as "an improved chance for me"
That's stupid. To quote An0n3, logging out if you didn't get antag is like trying to play Hide and Seek but running off if you didn't get to be the seeker. It's shitlery, and it's punishable here.
Stickymayhem wrote:I think a good idea would be to give this functionality to be manually applied by admins as a lighter alternative to outright antag banning people for this kind of behaviour.
I agree with you there. Automated adminning is often flakey at best. But if I NO ANTAG logouts were recorded and easily visible, then admins can take note of it and handle it manually.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #22351

It's up to the admins what gets done. All this will do is give them the right tools to properly catch and document this behavior. The logout report is better than nothing but it's buggy, only covers roundstart and not latejoiners, and isn't logged.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #22357

There's already precedent for antag bans being applied for habitual roundstart suiciders/logouts. More data collection is fine, but I'm against anything automated. Plus, with an antag ban, people with legitimate extenuating circumstances will know and can appeal it, whereas if it's a variable they may never know it's happening especially if they don't read the changelog/forums.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #22415

Just so everyone knows. All of the points brought up here we already covered in the PR.