Higher detail pictures show up when you examine stuff.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

Higher detail pictures show up when you examine stuff.

Post by Smoopadoop » #237694

Okay so imagine, you examine an object. The text shows up normally, but under the text is a bigger picture, showing the item in nicer detail with a bigger sprite.
Or maybe the picture could show up in the box above the textbox (The one with the tabs. What's that box called??)

This wouldn't apply to all items, but only for important or visually interesting ones.
E.g. Space cash (both coins and notes), nuke disk, some foods, weapons, etc.

Ties in with this.
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Re: Higher detail pictures show up when you examine stuff.

Post by Sweaterkittens » #237698

I think this is a really cool idea, but executing it would be immensely time consuming. The amount of sprites in this game is pretty staggering, and not only doing a bigger, higher detail one for every item in the game, but every new item is a monumental task.

That being said, if you or someone you know is willing to take it on and upkeep it as new things are added, more power to you. It'd certainly be nice, as some items have odd sprites that aren't very intuitive, especially to new players.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #237708

Smoopadoop wrote:This wouldn't apply to all items, but only for important or visually interesting ones.
There aren't THAT many important objects, are there?
Mains:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #237712

It would end up taking up a lot of vertical space in the chat box and leave a lot of whitespace to the right of it, would probably be pretty ugly looking
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #237716

Shaps wrote:It would end up taking up a lot of vertical space in the chat box and leave a lot of whitespace to the right of it, would probably be pretty ugly looking
put it in the middle
or as i said before maybe (maaaaaaybe) put it in the box above
like this
Spoiler:
Mains:
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #237717

I guess that depends on what you consider visually important, but I still think it would be a fairly monumental task. Even just a basic security officer has a helmet, armor, jumpsuit, jackboots, armband, bowman, facemask, sechud, taser, stun baton, flash, pepper spray, utility belt, cuffs, backpack (duffel/satchel/backpack) and generally at least one flashbang. That's almost 20 sprites for the basic equipment for a single job (admittedly, one with a respectable amount of equipment, but nonetheless). Like I said, if you're up to it, and you don't think it'd be as daunting of a task as I do, more power to you. I think it would be really cool.

I agree with Shaps as far as it causing visually unappealing clutter in the chatbox, so perhaps objects with detailed sprites would generate a link when examined. You could click on the name of the object (I.e. "This is the Stunbaton) and it would open a window with the detailed sprite in the same way that examining a photograph does.

EDIT: Holy shit that textbox my fucking sides, hahah
ImageImage
Spoiler:
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #237758

Why not have a link to it in the examine description, and have it show up in a window
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #237773

Smoopadoop wrote:
Shaps wrote:It would end up taking up a lot of vertical space in the chat box and leave a lot of whitespace to the right of it, would probably be pretty ugly looking
put it in the middle
or as i said before maybe (maaaaaaybe) put it in the box above
like this
Spoiler:
Polaris have this for the last thing you examined (though not the enlarged sprites), it just pops up a tab with the examinetext, along with more detailed/verbose examinetext for some things that would be too much of a wordstorm to put in the normal textbox, such as a guide to what the thing is actually for and how to use it so people don't have to keep checking the wiki for every individual item.