Hard Light Hologram

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Miles

Hard Light Hologram

Post by Miles » #31742

Something I have been thinking of. From the job selection list you can choose hologram. You spawn in a computer in the AI chamber. Clicking the computer brings up a list of all holo-emitters around the station of which you choose one (say surgery) then you appear in surgery. You are now locked to that holo-emitter unless a button in the captains office is pressed to download you back to the computer or if the AI uses the computer to recall you.

You will look completely human unless people examine you and it will say "they seem to shimmer in the light". You will have pre programed clothes (so you cannot wear any new clothes). You interact with the environment as a human does (no cyborg bolting of doors with a door interface or wireless with anything) and you can pickup tools in your hands, wear a backpack and belt if they are around.

The holo-emitter can be a re sprite of a normal camera. If you ever lose sight of your holo-emitter (unless there is another holo-emitter that you can see and click on to link yourself into) you will return to the emitters tile, vanishing and dropping all items and re-appearing.

You will have standard laws like the AI and cyborgs have. Holo-emitter parts can be printed out at an auto-lathe (just like cameras) and are setup in the same way so that some enterprising engineers can allow you more freedom around the station.

Also in the Research Directors office, there will be a suitcase that is actually a mobile holo-emitter. When holding it in one of your hands you can move freely. If you drop it, you can move one tile from it and that's it. Any more and you vanish and re-appear to your locked in emitter. The suitcase will have a charge meter and the battery can be replaced by using a screwdriver. If you try to do that yourself you will vanish unless you can see a wall mounted holo-emitter to be linked to.

If your computer is accessed by a human, they have the option to recall you, an option to allow yourself to do the recalling (only in emergency situations should a hologram be given free choice of its emitter download locations), change your lawset and "delete hologram matrix" which needs captains authorization.

When you are recalled to the computer, you can talk to people in the area through the computers speakers as you are just a program running on that computer at the time.

If the computer is emagged, you get the syndicate lawset, free choice of your appearance (including selecting from all of the crew as an option to frame them for crimes you commit) and free use of your re-call and download functions so you can zap between any active holo-emitters on the station.

http://www.digg.com/r/SS13/comments/2 ... _hologram/
Last edited by Miles on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Hard Light Hologram

Post by Psyentific » #31743

Been playing a bit of Dead Money, huh?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #31744

I like it, but you didn't say how a holo person could die.
Miles

Post by Miles » #31747

I want them to be fragile compared to their cyborg counterparts and thinking of them like glass, say 5 hits by a blunt object and 1 hit by something sharp (shard, broken glass bottle) as the sharpness punctures the hard light skin and thus destabilizes the projection and lasers would just pass right through them. It would take some time for the projectors to reform them if they were attacked. They wouldn't really die unless their program was removed from the computer like with an AI intelecard or on a disk.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #31779

Take a cue from voyager, they are locked to certain areas due to lack of projectors for them but can freely travel between them because they aren't actually physical. So no maint wandering robots, just bar/medical/science perhaps?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31835

callanrockslol wrote:Take a cue from voyager, they are locked to certain areas due to lack of projectors for them but can freely travel between them because they aren't actually physical. So no maint wandering robots, just bar/medical/science perhaps?
Being able to recreate The Doctor would be a cool gimmick.
rosello

Post by rosello » #33869

I read the name of the thread, assumed it was like in Red Dwarf and thought "Oh, that sounds cool but there's no way something like that would be put in." The way you've described it here sounds good though, but I think we need the forehead H.
wake me up before you jojo
Marshall/Mira Mudskipper, Bethan/Renni Ashbird, Trish/Susan Gecko, Mia Karp/K.A.R.P, Elliot Spark, Adriana/Octavia Spiral, Mimi Mime, Violet Caterpillar, Eve Steel, Bethan Butterfly
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #33905

Well we're making it like Red Dwarf, Make it so we only have enough machines for one hologram at a time, but more can be made in R&D.
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #33929

Wizardjenkins66 wrote:Well we're making it like Red Dwarf, Make it so we only have enough machines for one hologram at a time, but more can be made in R&D.
Fuck Red Dwarf. Make it like how emergency hologram programs work in Star Trek.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #34585

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Wizardjenkins66 wrote:Well we're making it like Red Dwarf, Make it so we only have enough machines for one hologram at a time, but more can be made in R&D.
Fuck Red Dwarf. Make it like how emergency hologram programs work in Star Trek.
FUCK YOU IN YOUR MOUTH BLASPHEMER.

I wanna be a light bee.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #34586

Red dwarf > Star trek
Just sayin'
私は完璧
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #34603

ThanatosRa and Remie Richards confirmed for being the worst type of cancer to ever exist.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #34658

Red dwarf is far superior to the casual trash that is star trek.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #34664

Yeah Red Dwarf is like, the best. After Star wars.
Hey.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #34859

Red Dwarf is awesome and all, but why would anyone want to be one of these holograms? It sounds like an extra shitty version of an AI.

Unless... what if only dead crewmembers could be uploaded (from the crew manifest)? But they'd have to be under rules not to reveal any info that happened in round, as their backup is from before the shift. So you can bring the guy who got parapen C4ed back into the round, but he can't say who killed him.
kylefiredemon

Post by kylefiredemon » #35042

damiac wrote:Red Dwarf is awesome and all, but why would anyone want to be one of these holograms? It sounds like an extra shitty version of an AI.

Unless... what if only dead crewmembers could be uploaded (from the crew manifest)? But they'd have to be under rules not to reveal any info that happened in round, as their backup is from before the shift. So you can bring the guy who got parapen C4ed back into the round, but he can't say who killed him.
Or you could just remove their ability to speak normally and only allowing them to talk on binary.

Also a tater or malf AI should be able to hack holograms and reprogram them with laser weapons.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #35072

tbh i dont see the point of this.
what will this really add to the game?
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #35081

The ability to be in the round as a fragile but near immortal binary creature and capable of doing things that an AI or cyborg cannot if it is a role you must be borged or invest yourself in doing.

The ability to come back into the round and do a singular thing as a fragile binary creature if you can revive as one.

And if you need to be debrained/uploaded to become a hardlight, it is a better alternative to perma botany. There are hologram emitters in a lot of places that people might want to dick around in permanently without having to leave, eat, or risk being murdered in.

It really is just a miniature AI.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #35538

Raven776 wrote:The ability to be in the round as a fragile but near immortal binary creature and capable of doing things that an AI or cyborg cannot
this is called "playing as a normal crewmember". AI is already immensely powerful, it doesn't need MORE omnipotent minions. we already have drones for getting back into the round.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #35554

I agree. I would rather that these things be like pAI or drones, unconnected from the AI.

In any case, I don't think we'd really need them either.

Or want them in most cases.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #36495

Pff, Red Dwarf is a half-decent British comedy. Voyager is actually good.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.