REAL memory

A place to record your ideas for the game.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

REAL memory

Post by bman » #350644

the chat logs eats up lines of text after they exceed a certain amount in the chat, certain items or drugs can give you a bigger memory which extends this text limit. the curator, AI, and borgs have infinite memory which is why they are valuable to security for questioning purposes.

even with an extended memory, the earlier the event happened the more distorted and "fuzzy" it will be, for example:

Donky says; "Woody got Wood" would be "Woo% #t #ood" ten minutes later, and "!@#!@ @#! @#!@#" twenty minutes later, eventually reaching a point where it is forgotten unless the individual "revitalizes" their memory using certain drugs, machines, or blows to the head.

brain damage and hemorrhages can take away entire chunks of memory or remove it entirely. furthermore, psychic or strange creatures can look into the memory of other beings in order to find out the truth as it is from their eyes and ears. cyborgs can be outfitted with more advanced RAM sticks in order to extend their memory.

benefits of adding this:
  • rebirth of the previously redundant PDA notes tab
    immersions that will not be broken
    realism
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: REAL memory

Post by calzilla1 » #350646

This is fukin stupid. I wish I had a blow to the head to forget this retarded thread
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #350648

calzilla1 wrote:This is fukin stupid. I wish I had a blow to the head to forget this retarded thread
imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #350708

I'd be interested in trying it but worried that not having access to their own logs would make it more difficult for players when adminhelping or answering adminhelps
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #350791

cool idea I guess but I'm not sure if abstracting forgetfulness with "the chat lines fade away to garbage after like 20 mins" makes a lot of sense
Limey wrote:its too late.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #350895

>you can still remember things with actual outside-of-game memory
>adminhelp
>WTF HE SHOULDNT REMEMBER I KILLED HIM
>how long ago was this
>cue 50 minute investigation culminating in href-log-diving, checking timestamps and trying to predict how distorted the memory is supposed to be, if the person memorizing it had any drugs/influence/buffs to their memory at the time
>ultimately give up because fuck taking an hour to figure out if someone could make out a garbled text line from 10 minutes past just to punish them
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #350933

kevinz000 wrote:>you can still remember things with actual outside-of-game memory
>adminhelp
>WTF HE SHOULDNT REMEMBER I KILLED HIM
>how long ago was this
>cue 50 minute investigation culminating in href-log-diving, checking timestamps and trying to predict how distorted the memory is supposed to be, if the person memorizing it had any drugs/influence/buffs to their memory at the time
>ultimately give up because fuck taking an hour to figure out if someone could make out a garbled text line from 10 minutes past just to punish them
I don't think OP means you were supposed to forget things IC, it just means the logs aren't a reliable resource

powergamers could just copy paste logs every few minutes if it became an actual issue and most people will remember the general events of a round if not specific radio messages, so this idea probably wouldn't do anything in practice
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #350935

Yeah the idea suggests that your natural in game memory deteriorates, but if you chose to copy+paste any info or you just remember something specific then that's fine.

The idea has merit but as noted by Kor this will have an issue with people saving logs.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #350942

I think the point of this idea is not to delete your actual memory but to represent people's memory of small details deteriorating. Like if a guy punches you and runs you probably won't remember what he looks like if you managed to examine so it makes sense
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #350983

BeeSting12 wrote:I think the point of this idea is not to delete your actual memory but to represent people's memory of small details deteriorating. Like if a guy punches you and runs you probably won't remember what he looks like if you managed to examine so it makes sense
it's a little strange for it to happen so quickly though

like, with our (comparatively) hilariously short rounds now, the values make sense gameplay wise, but less so IC

honestly it just seems like it would cause more hassle like kor said for not much benefit, I'm not sure what having this in would do to create interesting scenarios and if it would start to significantly impact gameplay then people would just start pasting logs when shit goes down
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #350985

Yeah pretty much, I don't really like the idea but I see where they're coming from
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #351488

lmao powergamers with their picture memory recalling exact scenes as they occur without any errors