Cyborg damage feedback

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Cyborg damage feedback

Post by Anonmare » #371753

In the interest of transparency, most of these ideas are from the policy thread (you know which one I mean).

As we all know, cyborgs don't have much in the way of damage feedback with the only feedback being the textual deathgasp that happens on death obviously. In order to better facilitate judgement, such as when enough damage has been done, I propose the following:
  • Cyborgs that have minor damage, the kind that shuts off the third module, gives a brief spark and electric shock sound-effect in addition to textual feedback, for example: "Damage detected to [CYBORG_NAME]! Low priority systems offline!"
  • At moderate damage, or second module shut-off, the cyborg sparks again and starts leaving an oil trail and gives a new text feedback: "Severe damage detected to [CYBORG_NAME]! Functionality below 50%!"
  • Severe damage, or cyborg soft-crit, the cyborg is forced to play the *warn sound effect and will now spark on occasion, roughly every 6 seconds or so. textual feedback is some variation on the following: "Critical failure in [CYBORG_NAME]'s operation! Maintenance required or shutdown is imminent!
  • Dead cyborgs will not spark and their headlights go out, indicating their death. In addition, at the moment of their death their covers will automatically pop open, allowing people without access to repair, dismantle or reprogram them as necessary.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Re: Cyborg damage feedback

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #371762

I think this is interesting. Being a cyborg, I kind of thought of it as being a metal husk, so not getting much feedback as far as taking damage I felt was appropriate. I also think it's appropriate for the AI and cyborg to have buttloads of sensors to indicate any sense of harm to themselves, since they are far superior to human sensors. Hell, I would say that they would be able to tell when a human is on harm intent, because they're programmed to prevent harm.

I give this a hell yeah.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #371769

Any thought on my idea to give dead borgs limited, slow, easily stoppable movement?

if they can be stopped via a grab, cant push people or interface with anything, and are slow enough that even a person with no legs can catch them then it isnt much of an advantage. It means that beating a borg into submission to stop them from interfering wont mean you have to drag their ass to robotics.

If you want to permanently take out the borg, killing them already removes the lock on their front panel, so you can very easily dismantle the borg or just snip its lockdown wire.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #371778

Dr_bee wrote:Any thought on my idea to give dead borgs limited, slow, easily stoppable movement?

if they can be stopped via a grab, cant push people or interface with anything, and are slow enough that even a person with no legs can catch them then it isnt much of an advantage. It means that beating a borg into submission to stop them from interfering wont mean you have to drag their ass to robotics.

If you want to permanently take out the borg, killing them already removes the lock on their front panel, so you can very easily dismantle the borg or just snip its lockdown wire.
It would have to be really, really slow movement, at least as slow as softcrit crawling I'd say. It ought not be able to speak, even whisper or speak on binary, or even point either - anything that could be used to indict their attacker. You could make them blind and or deaf but that might be too much, I'd also advise to put in an emote similar to the no power emote so it can convey its damaged state to passers-by and get the robo's attention.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #371783

Do you mean to also provide these messages as an alert to the borg's master AI, or are they local only?

I disagree with giving borgs any kind of ability while dead. The borg is in a completely broken and dysfunctional state, save the MMI and tracking transmitter. The act of sending death warnings to the master AI of that borg makes it more likely that the AI will take notice and pester people to recover it. If you are an AI-less borg, well, you will have to rely on the humans just as any dead player.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #371841

To be frank, I would prefer the same health readout as the AI's towards its cyborgs, that being knowing how much percentage you're at
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #371843

Anonmare wrote:To be frank, I would prefer the same health readout as the AI's towards its cyborgs, that being knowing how much percentage you're at
Ais can use the diagnostic hud.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #372022

Armhulen wrote:
Anonmare wrote:To be frank, I would prefer the same health readout as the AI's towards its cyborgs, that being knowing how much percentage you're at
Ais can use the diagnostic hud.
A notification indicating one of your very few cyborgs is going down while you're opening doors for the clown would be very useful. The diagnostic hud has it's place, but I think a notification would be more practical.

I feel like, just as they are now, the AI and cyborgs really should know what's going on better than the humans. They have better access to information about the station already through atmos and power alarms. I think it fits to add cyborg alarms.

One thing not often done is that the AI is supposed to use the cyborgs as their arms and hands of the station, executing anything they cant control. I think this helps support the AI in being that leader, so they can save cyborgs in their time of need. It's also a law to preserve themselves, so it's important enough already.

I feel like there's more than enough IC and meta reasons to add this, I think it's more of a matter of if coding wise it's simple. I think it buffs AI and cyborgs, but I think that buff ought to be there in the first place.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #372054

To be honest I think the AI ought to only get a message some time after the cyborg dies and only if: A) Its body still exists and B) It's still connected to the AI.

Combined with automatic cover opening on death, this gives you a chance to deactivate those cyborgs before the AI knows and if it dies to hostile fauna - The AI can know and inform someone.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #372094

Anonmare wrote: Combined with automatic cover opening on death, this gives you a chance to deactivate those cyborgs before the AI knows and if it dies to hostile fauna - The AI can know and inform someone.
It shouldn't open automatically, just stay as is which is being unlocked.
They need tools anyways, why skip the crowbar step?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #372095

Dax Dupont wrote:
Anonmare wrote: Combined with automatic cover opening on death, this gives you a chance to deactivate those cyborgs before the AI knows and if it dies to hostile fauna - The AI can know and inform someone.
It shouldn't open automatically, just stay as is which is being unlocked.
They need tools anyways, why skip the crowbar step?
That's what I said, it unlocks upon death.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #372115

CosmicScientist wrote:Beware giving the AI more warning messages. Big brother doesn't need more toys to fight antags and muller crap crew.
Information is really the only thing the AI can do now that department door remotes exist. The AI is the station to an extent, so giving it more information about the things that happen to it isnt necessarily a bad thing, and sabotaging or damaging the AI's cameras already gives an alarm, why not the more important borgs?
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #372335

When an borg dies, let the head detach and move about at a slow pace on little spider legs. Can't interact with anything, but lets them limp back to robotics and request a new body/repairs to their old one.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #372724

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/34287 was merged, but it sadly did not include a (delayed) death message to the AI. Thoughts?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #372968

Gun Hog wrote:https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/34287 was merged, but it sadly did not include a (delayed) death message to the AI. Thoughts?
whoever made that pr must be pretty handsome
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: