The ability to toggle on or off for breathing.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
youngbuckliontiger

The ability to toggle on or off for breathing.

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #42282

It would be nice to have the ability to hold your breath. Hallway full of N20? Hold your breath and run through it.
Player name: Rob Ust
Lets have fun in SS13!
I don't play anymore though.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: The ability to toggle on or off for breathing.

Post by paprika » #42284

The best functionality for this would be to make it use the internals button if you don't have a mask equipped. Another button just for breath-holding to counter n20 or plasma would be unnecessary.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
youngbuckliontiger

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #42286

Good enough.
Player name: Rob Ust
Lets have fun in SS13!
I don't play anymore though.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42287

paprika wrote:The best functionality for this would be to make it use the internals button if you don't have a mask equipped. Another button just for breath-holding to counter n20 or plasma would be unnecessary.
I think I suggested this exact thing in the Minor Suggestions thread or whatever.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42310

Violaceus wrote:inb4 gasping while holding breath
Technically you wouldn't be exhaling your natural amount of co2 whilst not intaking o2. Maybe you faint and resume normal breathing automatically at a certain concentration point?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #42357

This is dumb. Just use your internals
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #42360

I'd hate to have to fish an empty internals set out of my backpack just to run down a hallway and then juggle them to get a full one out of a locker.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42418

MisterPerson wrote:This is dumb. Just use your internals
Except its not. It adds basic functionality that any spessman should be capable of without requiring a gas mask and internals. This is also important when you don't have time/inventory space to drop whatever you're carrying to fish out a mask and air tank just to run down a portion of a hallway.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #42558

Ok, then make it automatic then. If you would fail a breathe, start an on-screen timer then.

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #42567

Or just have the internals button toggle breath when not wearing a mask so stuff like CO2 isn't nullified.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #42594

MisterPerson wrote:This is dumb. Just use your internals
Doesn't it seem like it'd only make sense to hold your breath until you can fish out your internals if you saw the room being flooded with deadly toxic purple gas?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #42599

I'd inhale that shit
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #42675

MMMiracles wrote:Or just have the internals button toggle breath when not wearing a mask so stuff like CO2 isn't nullified.
That sounds REALLY annoying to juggle.

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #42679

MisterPerson wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:Or just have the internals button toggle breath when not wearing a mask so stuff like CO2 isn't nullified.
That sounds REALLY annoying to juggle.
If there's no mask, you hold your breath.

If there's no valid tank for internals, you hold your breath.

If you enable valid internals while holding your breath, you start breathing and internals turn on.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #42735

No I mean you're walking down the hallways and suddenly the "low oxygen" alert pops up, so you scramble to click a UI button. Really? Any game worth its salt would have something time-sensitive and important like that as a keyboard command, not a mouseclick.

And don't even suggest a keyboard shortcut for internals. Just make it automatic, jeez.

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42736

MisterPerson wrote:No I mean you're walking down the hallways and suddenly the "low oxygen" alert pops up, so you scramble to click a UI button. Really? Any game worth its salt would have something time-sensitive and important like that as a keyboard command, not a mouseclick.

And don't even suggest a keyboard shortcut for internals. Just make it automatic, jeez.
You just described somebody walking down a hallway with their internals turned off and then realizing it and turning it on. This is an everyday experience.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #42741

You're supposed to hold your breath when you know there's harmful gases in the air up ahead. If it was automatic it would invalidate the entire point of releasing CO2.

You start holding your breath.
Assistant [145.9] says, "CO2 AT LIBRARY HELP"
Assistant says, "CO2 AT LIBRARY HELP"
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #42747

cedarbridge wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:No I mean you're walking down the hallways and suddenly the "low oxygen" alert pops up, so you scramble to click a UI button. Really? Any game worth its salt would have something time-sensitive and important like that as a keyboard command, not a mouseclick.

You just described somebody walking down a hallway with their internals turned off and then realizing it and turning it on. This is an everyday experience.
An interesting point, actually. The internals setting button is also stupid. If we had breathe holding we could remove the internals box everyone spawns with in favor of just holding your breathe.

I'd still be in favor of making it automatic, mind you, but at least in this scenario it's not a totally pointless feature even manually activated, so it wouldn't be retarded to be manual. Also there'd need to be an action button to activate internals so setting that shit up isn't annoying. I played briefly before knowing about the internals button, manually using them was awful.
ExplosiveCrate wrote:You're supposed to hold your breath when you know there's harmful gases in the air up ahead. If it was automatic it would invalidate the entire point of releasing CO2.

You start holding your breath.
Assistant [145.9] says, "CO2 AT LIBRARY HELP"
Assistant says, "CO2 AT LIBRARY HELP"
Well clearly you shouldn't be able to talk with holding your breathe. That's just obvious.

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42756

MisterPerson wrote:If we had breathe holding we could remove the internals box everyone spawns with in favor of just holding your breathe.
Then you'd have to make actual internals more common around the station for hull breach/major gas flooding/etc than they currently are because that's what internals are actually for. Breath-holding is an intermediary stage between breathing deep that plasma and shuffling internals.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #42776

paprika wrote:I'd inhale that shit
420 huff plasma erry day
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #42809

no thanks
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #42868

As much as I like the idea, I feel this is adding unneeded amount of complexity to a system that is, for the most part, relatively simple. While I do agree that the internals system is not well shown to new players, once you've figured it out it becomes very easy.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #42909

I like the idea but there are other issues, such as how long can one hold their breath before they start breathing again? Is it long enough to potentially do a quick space walk?
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #42917

I'd imagine that holding your breath immediately puts you in the no oxygen state, automatically turning off if you lose consciousness. Holding your breath in a depressurized area should cause brute damage.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42918

ExplosiveCrate wrote:I'd imagine that holding your breath immediately puts you in the no oxygen state, automatically turning off if you lose consciousness. Holding your breath in a depressurized area should cause brute damage.
That's actually pretty ok.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #42922

Would make more sense if you got like 5-10 seconds of air before getting the 02 warning, since I'd imagine most people try to inhale before holding their breath.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #42923

MMMiracles wrote:Would make more sense if you got like 5-10 seconds of air before getting the 02 warning, since I'd imagine most people try to inhale before holding their breath.
No. Oxyloss basically measures how long you have until you lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. It would be perfectly fine to just tick oxyloss until you have X hp left and start craving for air. X should of course be positive, since it's impossible to die by just holding your breath.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42952

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:Would make more sense if you got like 5-10 seconds of air before getting the 02 warning, since I'd imagine most people try to inhale before holding their breath.
No. Oxyloss basically measures how long you have until you lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. It would be perfectly fine to just tick oxyloss until you have X hp left and start craving for air. X should of course be positive, since it's impossible to die by just holding your breath.
Isn't that one of the suicide messages?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #42973

cedarbridge wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Isn't that one of the suicide messages?
That message should probably be changed.

Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #43057

cedarbridge wrote:Isn't that one of the suicide messages?
Well jamming thumbs into your eyes wouldn't necessarily kill you either.

I mean, you could go as far as lose consciousness when holding your breath, but then your body wouldn't be controlled by a retard anymore and would just continue breathing normally.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #43130

Making it so that you hold your breath when you have invalid internals automatically would make knock out gas not work and would remove some theoretical functionality of spiked gas mixes, which would rarely come up but is still a loss of functionality, especially as this could be made its own command.

It definitely should be something a player decides to do deliberately, the game should never decide when you hold your breath for you as it will always give you new information if it does.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #43135

Holding your breath in a vacuum? Space sucks harder son. Seems like just a niche thing soft protection against air pollutants. For example n2o would be even more of a joke than it is in internals town already.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #43138

Well as traitor engineer I like to crank up power output and electricute doors with a signaller, then I go "OH GOD SYNDICATE BOMB RUN!!" So that people kill themselves on my doors. Now if holding breath is enabled I can dress up as atmos tech and get a pair of medhuds and around low health people go "OH GOD NO2 LEAK HOLD YOUR BREATH!!"
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #43541

This would work great, and allow a nerf to round-start internals. As someone already pointed out.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #43543

Rolan7 wrote:This would work great, and allow a nerf to round-start internals. As someone already pointed out.
I like the idea of atmos getting a stockhold of emergency tanks they can tap off and distribute at the window/around the station when shit goes down. Gives them some social interaction past the rare occurrence of someone asking to fill their tank or a scientist going for chilled 02.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #43643

Scientists have had their own freezer for a while now.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #43653

What's the difference between running out of air because there's nothing present, and holding your breath while you run through? Holding your breath is just choosing to starve yourself for oxygen, while having no breathable gasses in the area just means you don't have an option.

This is just asking for a blanket nerf of harmful gasses. Internals are plentiful. You start with a set that lasts a LONG time. If you can't be assed to use them or you use them up you should pay the price.
MMMiracles wrote:
Rolan7 wrote:This would work great, and allow a nerf to round-start internals. As someone already pointed out.
I like the idea of atmos getting a stockhold of emergency tanks they can tap off and distribute at the window/around the station when shit goes down. Gives them some social interaction past the rare occurrence of someone asking to fill their tank or a scientist going for chilled 02.
They already have this. There're internals boxes in the gas storage foyer. Christ guys.

tl;dr holy shit someone finally actually recommended "manual breathing" as a serious change. let's go whole hog and add manual blinking so you can close your eyes when someone tries to flash/flashbang/laser-point you. this is horrible
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #43686

An0n3 wrote:What's the difference between running out of air because there's nothing present, and holding your breath while you run through? Holding your breath is just choosing to starve yourself for oxygen, while having no breathable gasses in the area just means you don't have an option.

This is just asking for a blanket nerf of harmful gasses. Internals are plentiful. You start with a set that lasts a LONG time. If you can't be assed to use them or you use them up you should pay the price.
MMMiracles wrote:
They already have this. There're internals boxes in the gas storage foyer. Christ guys.

tl;dr holy shit someone finally actually recommended "manual breathing" as a serious change. let's go whole hog and add manual blinking so you can close your eyes when someone tries to flash/flashbang/laser-point you. this is horrible
this guy gets it
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.