Goon Chemistry & The Codebase Drug Ban

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Goon Chemistry & The Codebase Drug Ban

Post by Steelpoint » #47593

Bottom post of the previous page:

I still think this is a bad idea.

While I appreciate the effort put into coding and porting this, I believe we would be far better off with a chemistry overhaul akin to the two suggestions I presented earlier in this thread. I'm just wary of putting two separate chemistry systems into the game and then gutting our version.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #47595

Steelpoint wrote:I still think this is a bad idea.

While I appreciate the effort put into coding and porting this, I believe we would be far better off with a chemistry overhaul akin to the two suggestions I presented earlier in this thread. I'm just wary of putting two separate chemistry systems into the game and then gutting our version.
From a layman's code view, shoving together two systems from two seperate code branches hasn't worked in the past. See: Bay Dismemberment, Bay blood trails... EVERYTHING ported from Bay pretty much. It's likely to cause more problems due to code differences. (The one thing I can think of which hasn't broken everything was the window update?)
From my player view, I would like something fun and interesting to do which doesn't break the server with runtimes for weeks, which links back to the potential code conflicts.

Now I'm not saying "You can't do this, it'll suck because other people have tried and it sucked", it's just I'm incredibly wary from past ports but I'm still interested in having new stuff to play around with in Chemistry, since it's a job I enjoy doing and producing ALL the chems, not just Tricord and mindbreaker toxin.

In short: If you're going to do it, just be careful and test it as much as possible on a private server to make sure it actually works, and also make sure to get people to test it to make sure it's fun.

(God this post feels circular in my points, I'm bad at being coherent)
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #47597

Pretty sure it didn't work because of shitty porting/oversights. Ported baymed referenced things that weren't in the code and blood trails were missing whatever made them stop.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #47598

Any feature can work, it just needs to be thoroughly tested. Sadly that's the problem, many a new feature or change or not extensively tested. That's not to entirely fault the person who did the addition, there's only so much one person can do.

One of the perks of NT Station was that it offered a good place to port and test these features on the "off" server. Allowing people to try out and break features without disrupting the "main" server. Perhaps that might not be the worst idea of making the alternative server the testing bed for larger scale features. Might even attract people to it.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #47601

I cannot speak for everyone who plays on badger, but i think that is a good idea and would not mind at all. I think i said the same thing when we talked about it a long time ago before NT was born. If coders actually want to do it we should have an ingame poll to see how the rest of the badger playerbase feels about it.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #47607

Steelpoint wrote:Any feature can work, it just needs to be thoroughly tested. Sadly that's the problem, many a new feature or change or not extensively tested. That's not to entirely fault the person who did the addition, there's only so much one person can do.

One of the perks of NT Station was that it offered a good place to port and test these features on the "off" server. Allowing people to try out and break features without disrupting the "main" server. Perhaps that might not be the worst idea of making the alternative server the testing bed for larger scale features. Might even attract people to it.
Considering we already have/ had at one point a testing server that wasn't the second server.
:^)
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #47752

Cheridan wrote:That's not in your PR, though. All that you're trying to port here is a handful of medicines and also lol feces drugs and krokodil so random maek u a zbomie. Don't try and make things sound cooler than they are to put pressure on maintainers.
You make good points.

I'm coding liquid dark matter, sorium, and CLF3 right now for the project iirc, that's why I used those as examples.

Feces drugs are gonna be axed.

Krokodil is literally making you a zombie right now as a stand-in for figuring out a better way to make you skin-less that isn't horribly snowflake.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #47754

iamgoofball wrote:
Cheridan wrote:That's not in your PR, though. All that you're trying to port here is a handful of medicines and also lol feces drugs and krokodil so random maek u a zbomie. Don't try and make things sound cooler than they are to put pressure on maintainers.
You make good points.

I'm coding liquid dark matter, sorium, and CLF3 right now for the project iirc, that's why I used those as examples.

Krokodil is literally making you a zombie right now as a stand-in for figuring out a better way to make you skin-less that isn't horribly snowflake.
There are skeleton mobs in-game still I believe.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #47760

iamgoofball wrote:
You make good points.

'Kay.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #47764

Krokodil causes tissue necrosis, it doesnt make your skin fall off. Turning into a zombie is dumb.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #47797

It appears we will not be getting Goon Chemistry now.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #47800

so fun fact about the goonchem stuff: apparently right after I left the discussion about goonchem being ported that was a few days ago, the important goon coders showed up and vetoed it, and I wasn't informed. I didn't find out about this until about 5 minutes ago after asking for clarification about some chems that were on the border between goon injoke and misc. content

lesson learned, communication is key in this shit

less damage would of been done if the goons had shown up at coderbus yelling about this