Expensive Armor from Protolathe

A place to record your ideas for the game.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Re: Expensive Armor from Protolathe

Post by dezzmont » #48462

Bottom post of the previous page:

Well here is the way I see it.

Everyone has baseline dependancy on security to prevent total breakdown, engineering for power, and in most cases cargo for replacement supplies, in this case metal and glass deliveries from the shuttle or mining up till you decide to just build yourself an autolathe to recycle your own materials. Power isn't up and there is no captain or HoP to order the bare minimum crates you need? Too bad, so sad, but you will probably have bigger issues in this case than research as this would cripple pretty much any department. That should be enough to do the baseline job. Science with this minimal amount of co-operation is able to actually fully or nearly fully research tech, which they can use to do things like make chemical dispensers for themselves anyway assuming they were smart and worked on making those before working with the acid for other research.

After that we currently have a dependancy on advanced minerals for a lot of the really interesting stuff. This is poor for a couple of reasons. A big one is that even baseline mechs and some inventions already are replacements or otherwise too strong. There is also little incentive for science to share their splendors with the ship if only mining is co-operating with them. And it also creates bottlenecks, as mining is not a popular job . It also is pretty unexciting for other production jobs like engineering, virology, chemistry, botany, or genetics, up to making it so science is the job more suited towards expanding the ship, not engineering, due to them having exclusive access to the ability to craft machines. A diversification of source materials would allow more tech to be gated behind unique extra-departmental resources, bringing science into greater circulation with the rest of the ship, while at the same time helping prevent a mining bottleneck. No miners? Well it looks like you will need to work mostly with plastics and biotech with the help of chemistry and botany. Engineering could due with having their own unique resource, possibly based on the singulo, possibly based on lathes, to provide to science as well in this hypothetical system.

The argument circiutboards require assembly is a non-argument by the way. Science has the ability to assemble machines solo, and you misused the term counterplay. And other departments don't rely on science more because science would have little incentive to give anything to them. Saying science needs more departments reliant on them is ridiculous. You could make it so engineering absolutely needs rigs, but what the hell could engineering give science? The server used to have an extremely powerful science team on which the medical staff was entirely dependent and it really proved how bad an idea this was. Science basically ate Medical entirely because they had access to all their best tools. Why call a doctor when chemistry genuinely is better at healing than them?

Science already has plenty to offer other people. That isn't the problem at all. they can make everything other departments have independently of them with no outside aid. Science is pretty much entirely self sufficient outside power and metal. Science needs incentive to offer things to other people, and incentive to take things from a diverse range of people. Engineers fix everything and can upgrade things (allegedly), security protects everyone, medical heals everyone, and logistics feeds and supplies everyone. What does science generally do? Hunker down and research themselves a ton of cool toys because no one offers them anything they can't do themselves after 10 minutes work.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #48473

Actually I think science can be fully independent, with slimes producing plasma sheets for pacmans, and metal sheets
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #48487

I am not fully up to date on slimes, but yeah then it sounds like no one really has any right to complain about science needing acid or metal at this point, or outside resources. You can now officially build a self contained station from within science regardless of if you have engiener or miner participation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are that Op save for mechs. It just is that research and production jobs like botany, scientist really do not add much to the station and don't interact with the round much at all, which sucks.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #48490

I agree completely with dezzmont's post. Science isn't lacking in things to give out to other departments, it's that they have absolutely no incentive to give their toys out to other departments. If I had a nickel for every time I got turned away asking for a pair of NVGs as an engineer, I'd be a godamn millionaire. The only people science currently gives the time of day are the miners, and that's because RnD is essentially non-functional without minerals. I'm not of the opinion that science needs stuff taken away from them, but rather that other departments should get some cool high tech toys so that Science has a reason to deal with, say, Engineering, instead of turning them away at the door. Stuff like Cargo getting a clothing fabricator is a good start, but not nearly enough.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #48501

Complaining that you wouldn't be able to do all this stuff yourself, on a server with only 20 people, isn't a problem.

In fact that's kind of the point, the solution is that you shouldn't be able to sit in one room by yourself and come out 20 minutes later decked out in the most fabulous shit the game has to offer.

If there aren't people on the station and resources aren't available to you...tough shit. Such is life. There are likely many other things you can make with the stuff you have on hand anyway.

I mean, it's a roleplaying game...complaining that you can't do everything all by yourself is practically a feature.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #48506

More importantly if you know what you are doing you can do almost everything by yourself to the point you can make the scientists, security team, geneticists, virologists, engineers, and medics obsolete. So science can, without any aid, replace all of the station save for the special materials of mining.

Use mechs to go into EVA, use immobilizers, use slimes for food power and metal, use chemicals to make super medicine, create autocloners. I literally have played games where someone did all of this in 15 minutes as a matter of course watching as the RD. It was hypnotic. It isn't hard to do at all and can be done with starting scientific resources.

Claiming science is in any way dependent on anyone in a low pop round is highly disingenuous. At worst you can replace everyone, at best you are a strict upgrade.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #48524

My big beef with Science in the way that it currently functions and the potential therein, is that it's totally disconnected from everything going on in the rest of the game. It needs a couple things from mining and that's really it.

The whole station could be swiss cheese and most people dead or dying in the halls, and its everyone else's problem but Science. On a good day its an arms race for Science to trot out their hot new shit and be the heroes the station needs (despite that not being their job either) or on a bad day, the station is so fucked because Scientists are the ones running amok in the halls with their advanced weaponry.

To put this in terms of a strategy game: If Science as a department was a race in an RTS, they would be the kind of faction you need to attack early and often to prevent them from rushing to their late-game and then utterly fucking everything else over.

The problem with that, in our spessmens game, is that short of a traitor purposely running in there to nuke them, or mining stonewalling them on resources, that never happens. There is nothing to distract them. Everything they do is linear and formulaic. There is more uncertainty in how a geneticist isolates superpowers or a virologist makes a disease than there is in anything Science does.

That should not work that way.

We need more traitor objectives and things that target Science to get them back in the game, to distract them from rushing straight through research and Exo construction. As is, there is only one object you might ever need to steal as a traitor that would direct you to Science: the RD's armor. For everything else that might be there (a plasma tank, a hand teleporter) there is a much more easily accessed and "public" area to get that same thing. It's possible I'm missing some things but it just seems like everyone ignores them unless they're a traitor already working in that department or their assassination target is in there.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #48533

You forgot slime extract.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #48542

Why doesn't science have a public protolathe outside RND that has a list of basic generic items it can make that's connected to the research database. Like night vision goggles and stuff. Then we can just tie it to a currency system and people can buy gear from RnD without ever having to talk to scientists and scientists can research in peace. Obviously, it would work on access too so you could only buy things if you have proper access and assistants aren't walking around with NVGs. This is literally the only way I could see money working and being useful, also, if it meant we could cut the interaction from scientists out of the equation for procuring protolathe stuff. CMOs could just buy their own parts to upgrade their machines if scientists aren't around or busy.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #48551

If you want to remove a little bit of science's exclusivity, add a way to get machine materials from cargo or something. It's currently frustrating how even if I stole something from tech storage, I would nonetheless require use of RnD, even if I'm trying to set up my own personal protolathe. There's no way around it.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #48581

The problem isn't just getting stuff from science.

Like an0n3 said, science is linear and utterly non-interactive. Every other department in fact save for supply is based around leaving their workspace to help or honk other people, and supply is based around their work spaces being congregation areas.

Science is, if you think about it, literally a cancer growing off of medical, eating into it's tissue with chemistry, virology, and genetics depending on patch, but ultimately unconnected to the rest of the body save for maybe festering and growing so much it kills the body.

It is a damn research station. Science should be the department getting shit done without eating other departments, but instead they are like a minigame station designed to be isolated.
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #48588

I first read the title as, "Explosive Armor from Protolathe."
After realizing what it actually said, I got an idea. What about armor that has shield/charge which is very robust armor, but when the value of the prior reaches zero, the armor explodes, making it tricky and difficult to use.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #48589

Silavite wrote:I first read the title as, "Explosive Armor from Protolathe."
After realizing what it actually said, I got an idea. What about armor that has shield/charge which is very robust armor, but when the value of the prior reaches zero, the armor explodes, making it tricky and difficult to use.
So explosive alabative armor?

Sure makes sense for science. Have it be under 100 HP, and make it so the explosion is less of a "Haha suicide vest" explosion and more a "I am personally dead and no one else can hear for a few seocnds" explosion and it works.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #48614

Cipher3 wrote:If you want to remove a little bit of science's exclusivity, add a way to get machine materials from cargo or something. It's currently frustrating how even if I stole something from tech storage, I would nonetheless require use of RnD, even if I'm trying to set up my own personal protolathe. There's no way around it.
I wonder if there are any machines in publicly accessible areas that you can take apart to give you the bits needed to put together a protolathe?
I know the autolathe uses a number of the same parts.

Arcade consoles used to be machines and gave you some parts, but I think last time I tried I found someone made them computers for some reason.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #48620

I just thought of a crazy idea. Create a personal shield that is similar to how shields operate in the Dune universe.

Essentially, in the Dune universe personal shields protect against virtually any form of attack, however very slow moving melee attacks can still bypass shields. However it has one flaw, if the shield is struck by a laser weapon it will generate a nuclear explosion.

In this case if a laser weapon strikes the shield it will blow up the shields user and blow up the laser gun. Killing the shield user and severaly hurting the laser gun user (or kill them as well, mutually assured destruction).
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #48621

Funfact: It IS entirely possible to build a protolathe as a Cargo tech, without science's involvement.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #48660

Steelpoint wrote:I just thought of a crazy idea. Create a personal shield that is similar to how shields operate in the Dune universe.

Essentially, in the Dune universe personal shields protect against virtually any form of attack, however very slow moving melee attacks can still bypass shields. However it has one flaw, if the shield is struck by a laser weapon it will generate a nuclear explosion.

In this case if a laser weapon strikes the shield it will blow up the shields user and blow up the laser gun. Killing the shield user and severaly hurting the laser gun user (or kill them as well, mutually assured destruction).
That is an ok idea in the sense its a high cost effect to become immune to stuns. I just have one massive problem.

Why does the laser explode too? Why on earth would you be punished for using the counter to an item. Especially because lasers are already trashy except as a counter.

You could stand to just make it so lasers will be a 2-3 hit crit and not have any downside for the shooter.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #49548

paprika wrote:Why doesn't science have a public protolathe outside RND that has a list of basic generic items it can make that's connected to the research database. Like night vision goggles and stuff. Then we can just tie it to a currency system and people can buy gear from RnD without ever having to talk to scientists and scientists can research in peace. Obviously, it would work on access too so you could only buy things if you have proper access and assistants aren't walking around with NVGs. This is literally the only way I could see money working and being useful, also, if it meant we could cut the interaction from scientists out of the equation for procuring protolathe stuff. CMOs could just buy their own parts to upgrade their machines if scientists aren't around or busy.
Genetics wants an autocloner, but no scientists available?
Go to the Prototype Vendor and get upgrade parts.

Reports of armblade ling shrieking up and down the halls, busting lights?
Sec can go buy some NV-secHUDs.

Mining wants better tools for having to serve an ungrateful research department?
A free diamond drill because they are mining personnel.

Great idea. The access it takes for R&D to get these items should remain the same, but will require access once placed inside this vendor.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #49549

I don't think a public lathe will ultimately solve the problem, but anything to help get the toys out is a good thing.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #49555

Fragnostic wrote:
paprika wrote:Why doesn't science have a public protolathe outside RND that has a list of basic generic items it can make that's connected to the research database. Like night vision goggles and stuff. Then we can just tie it to a currency system and people can buy gear from RnD without ever having to talk to scientists and scientists can research in peace. Obviously, it would work on access too so you could only buy things if you have proper access and assistants aren't walking around with NVGs. This is literally the only way I could see money working and being useful, also, if it meant we could cut the interaction from scientists out of the equation for procuring protolathe stuff. CMOs could just buy their own parts to upgrade their machines if scientists aren't around or busy.
Genetics wants an autocloner, but no scientists available?
Go to the Prototype Vendor and get upgrade parts.

Reports of armblade ling shrieking up and down the halls, busting lights?
Sec can go buy some NV-secHUDs.

Mining wants better tools for having to serve an ungrateful research department?
A free diamond drill because they are mining personnel.

Great idea. The access it takes for R&D to get these items should remain the same, but will require access once placed inside this vendor.
Or...or... put a protolathe in cargo

Cargo always moans they don't have enough to do, make the supplies department actually be in charge of supplying the station with things.