Gun Reloading Sounds

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Gun Reloading Sounds

Post by Steelpoint » #49818

I was messing around with some firearms when I thought to myself why is there no sounds when your removing a magazine or inserting shells/bullets into a magazine? Thus I've decided to do just that. What I want to do is add in sounds to when your reloading, there will be three sounds. I've sourced these sounds online and I've already gotten these to work in game but I want to source feedback.
Thanks!
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Gun Reloading Sounds

Post by cedarbridge » #49821

That loading sound. Shivers.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #50032

Any feedback at all?

At minimum I want to do the bullet loading/removing sound.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #50049

Feedback? Howbout that is AWESOME. I get a murderboner just listening to it. Now if you will excuse me, I need to go GET DAT FUKKEN DISK.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #50086

LOCK AND LOAD!
Peble

Post by Peble » #50088

pretty good sounds
revolvers will need some sort of clicky sound as well for de cylinders
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198043780134.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561198043780134]Image[/url]
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #50089

I'll look into revolvers.

I currently insert playsound commands when the player executes a actions, such as removing a magazine from a gun or inserting bullets into a magazine. This sadly means that each gun that uses that command, being most ballistic firearms, will use the same sounds when reloading. So long as the revolver commands are seperate from the other ballistic firearms, I might be able to look at doing something with it. No promises.

I'm simply waiting for my current PR to finish up before I do this.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #50109

Pls add revolver spin sound for when you insert bullets into the revolver
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #50116

The removing sound has a echo or something. The others are fine though.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #50156

Steelpoint wrote: I currently insert playsound commands when the player executes a actions, such as removing a magazine from a gun or inserting bullets into a magazine. This sadly means that each gun that uses that command, being most ballistic firearms, will use the same sounds when reloading.
Could always add a sound var to guns.
var/reload_sound = 'path/to/sound.ogg'
and have the playsound be playsound(reload_sound, ...)

Only issue with this is you'll need to check to make sure the sound isn't null, if it's null then it'll stop every other sound that's currently playing for that mob.
so just if(reload_sound) playsound(reload_sound, ...)
私は完璧
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #50200

loading a shotgun with shells should also have a different noise
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #50230

Steelpoint wrote:Removing a magazine
too much reverb, an object as small and as quiet as a magazine being removed would not produce that much echo, or at the very least, produce very little.
Steelpoint wrote:Inserting a magazine
Something not right about this one... hard to pinpoint exactly... weird crunchy sound between the mag insertion and the bolt being pulled back... it sounds too fake, especially the mag insertion, something doesn't sound right about it.
To short -- although not bot a whole lot -- When mixing sounds you have to account for a lot of things, especially for mechanical sounds. The sound of the latch being compressed for instance, the sound of plastic sliding against the metal. All of which is subtle, but you'll notice it when it isn't there.

If you listen to my sounds again (the good ones) -- and listen carefully -- you'll notice there's a bunch of subtle details in them.

Listen to this, It's the kinetic accelerator. This sound was several layers of different sounds, air rushing, small explosions (if you listen carefully you can hear the pulse gun sound) But also subtle "sweeteners" we'll call them, a bunch of mechanical sounds, like metal sliding against metal, i think there also a 'tink' sound in there i though of as the trigger, pluss the sound of tubes being slid out of larger tubes.

And then there's this one, the new pickaxe sound. What i combined was the sound of a golfclub swinging, the sound of a hammer hitting a nail and the sound of a sword hitting a shield. Then a few other things like a quiet base hit and some dirt and gravel falling.

Now, here's the thing, none of these sounds are realistic, but you're not going for that. You want a sound that helps you visualize what's going on, and in a game like SS13 without a lot of animation, this helps A LOT.

wow... i should write a tutorial on sound design...
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #50234

Pls make more amby music
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #50239

Cuboos wrote:Listen to this, It's the kinetic accelerator. This sound was several layers of different sounds, air rushing, small explosions (if you listen carefully you can hear the pulse gun sound) But also subtle "sweeteners" we'll call them, a bunch of mechanical sounds, like metal sliding against metal, i think there also a 'tink' sound in there i though of as the trigger, pluss the sound of tubes being slid out of larger tubes.

And then there's this one, the new pickaxe sound. What i combined was the sound of a golfclub swinging, the sound of a hammer hitting a nail and the sound of a sword hitting a shield. Then a few other things like a quiet base hit and some dirt and gravel falling.

Now, here's the thing, none of these sounds are realistic, but you're not going for that. You want a sound that helps you visualize what's going on, and in a game like SS13 without a lot of animation, this helps A LOT.

wow... i should write a tutorial on sound design...
That shit's actually incredibly interesting, and I wouldn't have even noticed half of the sounds without you mentioning them. Gives me a whole new perspective on sound effects. Kinetic Accelerator one sounds way too busy though.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #50244

This guy goes over layering really well. I've used a few of his techniques in making sounds for SS13
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #50257

I got a big ass list of reload sounds,firing sounds,etc,etc from project reality on google docs if you want the,
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #50307

If there are better sound available that I can freely use I may do so, if you want to showcase any you think are better than the one's I've presented please do.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #50473

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2254

Look at this, this might help you with finding and mixing sounds.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #50594

I'm experimenting with some sounds, I'm looking at doing silencer attachment sounds.

E: I'm quite happy with the Silencer sound I have at the moment. I've also made some adjustments to the other sounds.

The reload sound is now less sharper when the magazine is being put into the gun, in addition I got rid of the crunchy noises. The magazine removal has been shortened to get rid of the echo effect. I'll upload some in a sec.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #50598

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #50614

You don't need to rack the automatic handguns in our game.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #50646

Silencer one sounds...awfully silent.

The other two do, indeed, give me a raging murderboner.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #50666

Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #50725

Still sounds pretty silent. I doubt I would even be able to notice it with ambiance unless I was listening for it. That may be your intent, though.

Also it doesn't sound like a gun.
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #50744

Reimoo wrote:Still sounds pretty silent. I doubt I would even be able to notice it with ambiance unless I was listening for it. That may be your intent, though.

I think that sound is supposed to be when you're attaching the silencer to the gun.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #50745

Reimoo wrote:Still sounds pretty silent. I doubt I would even be able to notice it with ambiance unless I was listening for it. That may be your intent, though.

But you don't want it to sound like a gun. You want it to sound realistic, not be realistic.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #50746

Silavite wrote:

I think that sound is supposed to be when you're attaching the silencer to the gun.
Ah. My mistake. In that case it could use a little bit more of a squeaky screwy noise, still. It sounds like a pump to me.

Also, realism doesn't matter as much in this case, because if we had realistic silenced pistols that can be heard the next room over it would defeat the purpose of having it gameplay wise.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #50750

I suppose having silenced pistols that still sound realistic but can't be heard through walls is not a thing that can be done?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #50820

I can remove the racking part of the sound if we just want the magazine insertion only.

I'll see what I can do with the silencer attachment sound, though its one of those things that sounds better in game.

I might look at changing the silenced firing sounds to sound more sharper.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #52664

Can you do something for shotguns? I don't think the doublebarrel has a fancy sound for when you break it open. Iunno about the non-barman shotguns, though.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/