Make the Brig Less Secure

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Timrod

Make the Brig Less Secure

Post by Timrod » #5758

Over the huge amount of patches and add-ons this game has had, Security has had an INSANE amount of powercreep. For instance, they now have:

- Three slots (perma) in which players can be kept in a 5-tile area surrounded on either end by unbreakable blast doors with absolutely no oversight or radio communication.
- The gulag, which uses a perfectly secure sec shuttle to bring prisoners to an area they cannot ever possibly escape.
- The "mental health ward", where players can be permanently removed from the game via straitjacket/muzzle bucklecuffing.
- Mounted flashes on almost every wall in the brig, controllable from a central location (warden's office).
- No-Slip Shoes as standard issue footwear (jackboots are now immune to everything short of space lube).
- A stun baton and a backup weapon (seclite) that does the same damage as a stun baton, standard issue.
- An armory full of flashbangs, which do not effect security officers but have a ridiculous AOE stun.
- A motion sensor on the Armory that automatically warns of breakins.
- The most comprehensive camera network on the station.

This is way, way too much for one department to have. The station is meant to be a deathtrap, yet the Brig is a near-perfectly secured paradise for Sec. They can permabrig an infinite number of people with absolutely zero risk to the officers - all they have to do is have one guy spamming the perma flashers while they drag more people in, and if any of them manage to get out there's always the mounted flashers they can (and usually do) set up in the perma hallway. Security should not be a completely riskless job. Really, the only way a sec officer will ever get killed is by something overwhelmingly strong (nuke op teams, surprise changeling stings), meaning that they can do pretty much anything they want and get away wtih it due to it being an "IC issue". They're so overpowered that no one can really fight back against them unless they're COMPLETE idiots.

I think the no-slip change to jackboots needs to be removed, and the Gulag needs to be removed entirely. Gulag encourages shit like the Captain doing the usual "AI THE STATION IS NAZI GERMANY AND THE ASSISTANTS ARE JEWS ROUND THEM UP AND KILL THEM AT ALL COSTS", which is something that happens more often than it ever possibly should (and goes unpunished 100% of the time). Gulag also gives Sec an AI-free environment in which to kill people, and a very easy method of spacing the bodies.

The powercreep needs to be rounded up to something more reasonable. Sec should NOT be a foolproof job, despite the coders demanding it be.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Re: Make the Brig Less Secure

Post by Kelenius » #5760

Jackboots are not noslip.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #5762

Three slots (perma) in which players can be kept in a 5-tile area surrounded on either end by unbreakable blast doors with absolutely no oversight or radio communication.
If you're in perma, you probably did something to deserve it. If perma was easy to break out, guess what. Sec wouldn't permabrig you, they'd execute you instead.
The gulag, which uses a perfectly secure sec shuttle to bring prisoners to an area they cannot ever possibly escape.
Same deal as above.
The "mental health ward", where players can be permanently removed from the game via straitjacket/muzzle bucklecuffing.
You probably did something to deserve that, if that ever happens anymore.
Mounted flashes on almost every wall in the brig, controllable from a central location (warden's office).
Viva la revolution, Also, wirecutters.
No-Slip Shoes as standard issue footwear (jackboots are now immune to everything short of space lube).
This is 100% false.
A stun baton and a backup weapon (seclite) that does the same damage as a stun baton, standard issue.
The seclite does 9 brute, actually. Even if it was ten, it wouldn't matter since A.) If you got a baton, why would you switch to the seclite, that can't stun? and B.) There are better weapons that anyone can get easily, that can do up to 15 damage.
An armory full of flashbangs, which do not effect security officers but have a ridiculous AOE stun.
Only Warden/HoS gets a box of them. Everyone else has to use a vending machine, which runs out fast, and one starts in each sec locker. Flashbangs also -do- affect security, now.
A motion sensor on the Armory that automatically warns of breakins.
>Implying breaking into the armory is hard. >Implying if you do it from space and if you're fast enough you cannot be caught because nobody's gonna be in a spacesuit to fight you.
The most comprehensive camera network on the station.
This feels like grasping at straws.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #5765

Unless Jackboots were made no slip in the last hour then your wrong.

Not long ago the gulag was easy to break out of, and guess what? No one used it because of that. Same with Perma if there was an easy way to break out then either Sec would fortify it or not use Perma.

I think your overexaggerating the situation.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #5774

The gulag is possible to break out of, especially with multiple prisoners. Hell, even perma is easier to break out of now that it has mini hoes that can break windows.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #5786

I break into the armory without any issues frequently. Sometimes just because I can.

O hop on, make a mess, leave some crudely offensive notes , frighten the poor warden and AI and then leave. There are a huge number of ways to mess with security, but you can't just attack the brig from the front and expect to be successful.

Besides the brig keeps people in the round. The only people I see on the ward or peema are generally people that would have been executed anyway.

Security is in no way overpowered and extremely easy to fuck with.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #5797

I don't think a single round goes by without someone breaking in or out of the brig. 6 times outa 10 it just get plain bombed the shit out of. Also its a brig... it's supposed to be at least reasonably secure, its not a cafe ffs. I also don't think I've seen anyone spend a whole round in "perma". Most of the time it seems less secure as officers are constantly watching it like they do the regular cells.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #5802

Stickymayhem wrote:I break into the armory without any issues frequently. Sometimes just because I can.
ban he
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #5811

Excuse me a moment, I am amused.

Now then, what do you suggest to fix this "Problem"?
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #5847

I would like to see a couple of mounted flashers removed. In excess, all they do is provide the greytide with free flashes.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #5852

Ikarrus wrote:I would like to see a couple of mounted flashers removed. In excess, all they do is provide the greytide with free flashes.
Yeah, they are crap, but it's warden's fault for putting them there. Wall flashers in HoP's line are seriously free flashes.

Brig is really not secure. And, well, there's no way of making it secure. The wall is as good as its defenders. If there's nobody in brig, one could break out everyone and loot armory in a matter of minutes.
Timrod wrote:The station is meant to be a deathtrap
I'm so sick of people saying that "station is meant X", "SS13 is meant to be Y", "Fuck you, the game is Z". That exists only in your mind, trust me. The game is meant to be only what we make it to be.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #5855

I would like to see that it is harder to get the flash from a wall mounted flasher than simply using wire cutters.

Other than that I think the Brig is pretty good as it stands. To an extent anyway though since I still think the armoury is still too easy to break into.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #5858

Nah, we don't need flashers everywhere. Only where they're needed.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #5859

Well I'm looking around the brig, and as I can recall only two (2) wall mounted flashers were added in the latest map changes.

One at the main Brig entrance and one in the Insane Ward.

I really don't know how to reduce this number of mounted flashers, all flashers in the Brig aside from the one at the entrance are used in cells to stun a prisoner before a Officer enters the cell.
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #5868

The only real way to break out of perma is to take down a sec officer or be broken out from the outside, which is how it should be.

Otherwise every mass murderer or saboteur, either antag, set up or grey tider will be executed. No one wants that.

The gulag shuttle is ridiculously insecure.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #5923

That's funny, I always thought security was a bit underpowered.