Making all gasses invisible

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Making all gasses invisible

Post by Phalanx300 » #57531

Because realism. Also it would make Air Alarms serve the purpose of alarming people of gasses in the air, also making air scanners and such usefull. Ofcourse it also has some interesting antag applications.
deathhoof

Re: Making all gasses invisible

Post by deathhoof » #57535

Believe it or not, lots of gasses are visible. Look up, you will see ozone. Look at Jupiter, you will see hydrogen and helium. Look at a neon light, you will see excited noble gasses.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #57540

deathhoof wrote:Believe it or not, lots of gasses are visible. Look up, you will see ozone. Look at Jupiter, you will see hydrogen and helium. Look at a neon light, you will see excited noble gasses.
Yeah but noble gases arn't visible without running electricity through them so Im not seeing your point.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #57559

Bombadil wrote:
deathhoof wrote:Believe it or not, lots of gasses are visible. Look up, you will see ozone. Look at Jupiter, you will see hydrogen and helium. Look at a neon light, you will see excited noble gasses.
Yeah but noble gases arn't visible without running electricity through them so Im not seeing your point.
you've only defeated 1/2 of his examples since helium and neon are noble gasses, Ozone and hydrogen aren't so those keep up the point of "visible gases".

as for the idea, No.
It doesn't make sense realistically (which you argue counter to), Air alarms serve their purpose already, and it doesn't make sense game/balance wise to have something which can cause real damage to be invisible.
Last edited by Remie Richards on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は完璧
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #57562

Nope, no way. Make plasma invisible? Think about that for a minute. Someone plasma floods the station and no one knows about it until half the place is in flames.

And fuck realism.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #57563

Not to mention a plasma/sleepy gas mix would be ggnore for the crew
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #57564

>plasma invisible
>some guy walks down the corridor smoking a cigarette
>FLAMES EVERYWHERE

I actually like this idea but with the current gases we have it would be incredibly OP.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #57568

Everyone forgot about CO2? So much for OP arguments. And realism4life, down with the huginbox.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #57584

Realism isn't bad, but this is taking it too far. With the gases we have right now (Plasma, for example), invisible gasses would be horrible.
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #57589

MedicInDisquise wrote:Realism isn't bad, but this is taking it too far. With the gases we have right now (Plasma, for example), invisible gasses would be horrible.
How so? You would still get that popup in your UI that there is toxins in the air, also the air alarms would be flashing with a red light (if they havent been sabotaged!). Probably your characters starts coughing. Hardly OP, just something making sense and adding some fun for antagonistic players.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #57591

bandit wrote:asma invisible
>some guy walks down the corridor smoking a cigarette
>FLAMES EVERYWHERE
This, for one. Not being able to see if a gas is C02 or Plasma or Nitrogen before waltzing into it would be extremely unfair. It would be hard to actually combat the spread of Plasma without seeing it (nobody would know half of maintenance is filled with Plasma, for example) and is a buff to Antags. I'm all for a buff and realism, but this is just plain unfair.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #57594

>Everyone falls randomly asleep
The future is horrible!
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #57602

Phalanx300 wrote:Everyone forgot about CO2? So much for OP arguments. And realism4life, down with the huginbox.
CO2 has no special functions, like EXTREME FLAMMABILITY AND HIGH TOXICITY EVEN AT MINOR LEVELS. Plasma is bad, man.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #57607

Cipher3 wrote:
Phalanx300 wrote:Everyone forgot about CO2? So much for OP arguments. And realism4life, down with the huginbox.
CO2 has no special functions, like EXTREME FLAMMABILITY AND HIGH TOXICITY EVEN AT MINOR LEVELS. Plasma is bad, man.
CO2 kills you man.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #57612

Almost all gases kill you, man.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #57616

Phalanx300 wrote:huginbox.
Oh just fucking lock the thread already.
私は完璧
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #57654

Phalanx300 wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:
CO2 kills you man.
I said 'no special functions.' It kills you in high doses. Anything that deprives you of oxygen kills you in high doses. That doesn't change the fact that people flood plasma, not CO2. Traits plasma has that CO2 doesn't:
Cipher3 wrote:EXTREME FLAMMABILITY AND HIGH TOXICITY EVEN AT MINOR LEVELS.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #57662

CO2 doesn't ignite.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #57668

CO2 is not dangerous unless it is superheated. Otherwise it just causes oxyloss same as there being no air whatsoever IIRC, people will just assumed it was vented and set internals.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #57670

Edit: My post was redundant
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #57820

Phalanx300 wrote:
MedicInDisquise wrote:Realism isn't bad, but this is taking it too far. With the gases we have right now (Plasma, for example), invisible gasses would be horrible.
How so? You would still get that popup in your UI that there is toxins in the air, also the air alarms would be flashing with a red light (if they havent been sabotaged!). Probably your characters starts coughing. Hardly OP, just something making sense and adding some fun for antagonistic players.
The moment that warning shows up you usually have a lethal level of plasma in your blood and you die.

But I hear bay are looking to shore up on their anti-fun levels for the coming year.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #57830

Plasma doesn't kill you nearly that fast, it'll hurt but not THAT much.

N2O however will fuck you straight up immediately. Having that be invisible would be plain ridiculous.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #57835

Or perhaps don't be a unrobust scrub. How many people die each year from gas poisoning from their heaters in their houses? Gasses OP.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #57850

Phalanx300 wrote:Or perhaps don't be a unrobust scrub. How many people die each year from gas poisoning from their heaters in their houses? Gasses OP.
I, too, enjoy running around a presumably safe workplace with a tank of oxygen attached to my face all day.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #57852

Phalanx300 wrote:Or perhaps don't be a unrobust scrub. How many people die each year from gas poisoning from their heaters in their houses? Gasses OP.
There is little you could do to protect yourelf if an atmos tech fires that off through the system and you can't see it until you are inside the cloud pouring slowly out the vents. Hardly has anything to do with robustness, it is a classic finger of god (A scenario where you die in a manner you couldn't stop or reasonably prevent, akin to god suddenly flicking you to death out of the blue) scenario which generally are not welcome in game design.

If the delay was much longer on knockout it might work, but that would still encourage people to just walk around with masks on all the time, which used to be the default thing to do before masks had a lot of functionality nerfed in regards to eating and getting pills and the like.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #57937

The difference is that most people do not have traitorous scientists, malfunctioning AIs and/or crazed assistants running around opening canisters of toxic gas in their house on a regular basis.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls