This must be the work of an enemy stand!

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

This must be the work of an enemy stand!

Post by onleavedontatme » #75855

I'm a massive weeb and think punching ghosts would be cool to have in the game. I plan on coding this/am looking for ideas and feedback on it, dunno if this is the right forum or what. Obviously they won't be named stands in the final version.

So far the plan is basically

-Stand's are probably going to be simple animals, as they won't need to breathe/be hungry etc.
-Stands will be stored inside the users location, and summoned onto the users turf with the use of a verb/recalled with the use of a verb (probably on a cooldown)
-The stand will have a max range they can be from the user. If they're too far away, they get forcibly warped back to the users turf
-Stands/users will get a private telepathy channel, like :z or something
-Stands will have randomized sprites so you can't tell what their power is at a glance
-Stands will have infinite health/be unstunnable by normal means, but doing damage to the stand will do some portion of that damage to the user, and when the user dies the stand dies (maybe the user should have slightly increased max health so the fights last longer or something if they're going to be taking damage from two sources)
-Null rod would probably desummon them because why not

Stands will start out fairly simple at first (plain attacks, fast with weaker plain attacks, no attacks but completely invulnerable and unpushable, ranged attacks, a stand that deals bonus damage to other stands but nothing to people, and a scout stand that can move as far away as it wants off the top of my head), but more interesting powers could be added once the system is in place. Right now the primary difference would be how much damage the stand deals and how much damage the user takes.

What I need help deciding on:

-Their visibility. I think ideally, and most interestingly they'd only be visible to other stands/users, but it'd be fucking miserable for the sec officer who tried to break up a fight only to be killed by something invisible. I think I'll settle for silicons being unable to see them
-What sort of role they should play in the game. Plain antagonists? A wizard spell? Antags with strict rules that they're only after each other or specific targets? Ideally I think they'd be after one another, but that'd require it's own game mode at a fairly high population (it'd take 8 players just to make 4 stand users, after all)
-How to theme them. I'd rather avoid tarot cards. Maybe zodiac signs or something?
-Other fun (but sane and feasible) ideas for stand powers
-If they should be vulnerable to normal weapons (I can already imagine it'd get really dumb if a stand dragged its user around in a locker while attacking people invulnerable, even if I think stand vs stand would be more interesting)

Also I can't sprite for shit so I'd need help with that as well if anyone is at all interested.

Anyway, that's the basic idea, just looking for any extra input before I start. I know coding the stands themselves won't be hard but deciding how to implement them in a meaningful way will be tricky. If you think I should just drop the whole thing that's cool as well.

Hopefully a maintainer can tell me if they'd let me merge this as well, because I know references/inspiration is touchy. Hope I didn't forget anything this was mostly just stream of consciousness from ideas I've had bouncing around for a few days.

tl;dr

Can I add these? Any suggestions? I need sprites please help thanks
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: This must be the work of an enemy stand!

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #75860

In this topic: the word 'stand' is used too many times without context/definition
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #75861

"punch ghost"
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #75862

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:In this topic: the word 'stand' is used too many times without context/definition
http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Stand

It's a spooky ghost that the user summons to punch the shit out of things
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #75864

I tried explaining it to Sticky yesterday as "Buff guys punches vampires with the power of concentrated sunlight, then grows a spirit animal to punch other spirit animals while they punch eachother."
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #75881

Saegrimr wrote:I tried explaining it to Sticky yesterday as "Buff guys punches vampires with the power of concentrated sunlight, then grows a spirit animal to punch other spirit animals while they punch eachother."
You're all still weebs
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #75891

Stickymayhem wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:I tried explaining it to Sticky yesterday as "Buff guys punches vampires with the power of concentrated sunlight, then grows a spirit animal to punch other spirit animals while they punch eachother."
You're all still weebs
The major component of being a weeaboo is thinking japan is the best thign ever and that america is a shithole and all they ever want to do is move to Japan to find out they are ostracized for being a white guy in a land of xenophobes. You arn't a weeaboo just because you like anime.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #75894

Allow me to get my meme on.

"44. Even one positive comment about Japanese things can make you a weeaboo "
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #75900

might be a reference oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but really, you might want to rename a few things but keep descriptions as subtle references. we don't want another metroid situation.
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #75902

Bombadil wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:
You're all still weebs
The major component of being a weeaboo is thinking japan is the best thign ever and that america is a shithole and all they ever want to do is move to Japan to find out they are ostracized for being a white guy in a land of xenophobes. You arn't a weeaboo just because you like anime.
Yes you are.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #75903

Outside of being a reference this sounds kind of terrible, and as a reference it still sounds pretty terrible. Why would we want this
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #75937

So basically soul stone shards.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #75945

pffffhahahaha hahaha do it
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Post by Poorman » #75953

Kor, I love you.

Please make this a thing.

(Sidenote it would also be pretty cool to see ripple in the game, maybe as some sort of new genetics thing that allows fists to do a fair amount of burn damage with each punch.)
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #75963

>For balance issues of who can see them

Make it so they are invisible when standing still but if moving/attacking they are visible to everyone except silicons.

>Inspiration

Make them be inspired by SS13 jokes instead of zodiac and tarot.

>Gamemode or what?

Make it a random event that people on the station suddenly develop these. Would be a good way for ghosts to get back in too.
AnturK
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Anturke

Post by AnturK » #75967

『Honk』
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #75998

Man_Shroom wrote: Make them be inspired by SS13 jokes instead of zodiac and tarot.
You are no match for my stand! THE GRIFFON!
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #76012

This seems fun. Needs a spot of balancing, but fun.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #76361

Make them a thing that can be made from soul shards.

I want to start another cult pokemon league with punch goasts.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #76463

If something like this gets added, I'd say stands or whatever we end up calling them shouldn't be able to directly harm non-users. It wasn't like that in the original, but then again, even the guy with the biggest murderboner in the original at least knew to stroke it in secret rather than show it off publicly. Which isn't exactly something a lot of people here even try to do.
DimJim

Post by DimJim » #76478

for their default names you could use a naming system that gives them a color and a word, then let the user rename them if they don't want their stand to be called banana pink
getting them could be a wizard thing, badmin thing, or an item in mining that lets you give people stands
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #76595

Konork wrote:If something like this gets added, I'd say stands or whatever we end up calling them shouldn't be able to directly harm non-users. It wasn't like that in the original, but then again, even the guy with the biggest murderboner in the original at least knew to stroke it in secret rather than show it off publicly. Which isn't exactly something a lot of people here even try to do.
Fair nuff breaching to space and other stuff next to non users would be plenty mischief anyway. Most messing with civvies was done to show off weirder powers than ghost punches anyway.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #76603

Konork wrote:If something like this gets added, I'd say stands or whatever we end up calling them shouldn't be able to directly harm non-users. It wasn't like that in the original, but then again, even the guy with the biggest murderboner in the original at least knew to stroke it in secret rather than show it off publicly. Which isn't exactly something a lot of people here even try to do.
If they couldnt' harm non-users I'd pretty much have to make it it's own gamemode and I don't know how enthusiastic people would be for that. Maybe later down the line if stand v stand fights are fun we can make stands only able to hurt other users and have them paired off as rivals in some mode or another
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Post by Poorman » #77771

Maybe code a new item in the game called the mysterious arrow. Have it deal a small amount of brute damage, but when used, opens up a queue for ghosts to be stands, similar to a PAI request.

In fact, you could do this a lot like PAI. Have a setup box for stand names, colors, etc, and they'd be automatically assigned to you from random applicable ghosts.

I'd lose it if you also found a way to code posing into this game.