Genetics Rework Ideas

A place to record your ideas for the game.
deathhoof

Genetics Rework Ideas

Post by deathhoof » #81163

I have a dream. I dream of a new genetics system. A genetics system with depth. A genetic system with realism. A system with mystery even. Luckily for you, I have a concept of how this new and improved system might look. Here is the outline for the idea:
> There will now be 23 pairs of chromosomes
> Each chromosome pair can be selected
> within each chromosome pair there will be a sequence of values ranging from 1 to F
> the values can be freely deleted by applying radiation, or mutagen can be applied to freely change the value or even add a new value, but that causes toxin poisoning
> deletion by radiation will fail if the chromosome has only 3 values, and addition by mutagen will fail if the chromosome has 12 values
> genetic traits consist of sequences of 3 values
> for genetically normal characters, most chromosomes have 3-6 values to begin with and are responsible for default human or lizard features and skin color, hair color, eye color etc
> the first chromosome is always responsible for your name, and thus it will be the one used for identification in detective and medical scanners, it will always be 12 values long
>the 23rd chromosome pairing or "the sex chromosome pairing" will be special and will determine sex based on the amount of values it has. A female xx pairing will consist of 12 values and a male one will consist of 9, to represent the fact that the y chromosome is about half as large as an x chromosome. The values in these special chromosomes will be meaningless, the number of values will be the only thing that matters. Having having 7-11 values in this pairing will result in being male. Having 3-6 or 12 will result in being female.
> there will be two main kinds of mutation: additive and subtractive
> humans will have a default value of 1 for most feature outside of things such as hair an eye color
> reducing the value to one by say deleting the genetics responsible for that feature will reduce that feature to the barest possible state meaning that humans will have a default state of zero for tails since they don't have tails
> doing something like taking out genetics for teeth will result in failure chance to eat food
> adding a 3 or so sets of teeth dna will add an auxiliary bite attack as a mutation
> and so on for additive and subtractive mutations
> testing will take place by removing a genetic piece and seeing what it does to the victim, or by comparing patients of different species
> this will give lizards a purpose because they will have stuff like say three times the fingernail gene that humans have or a scale gene that humans have none of
> removing genes responsible for pigment will make the character albino in that aspect (ie no eye color genes = red eyes)
> all pigment genes should come in sets of 3 responsible for rbg with the 1 to F values deciding intensity
> skin pigment genes will function differently in lizards and other aliens then in humans. in humans the pigment will be an average of the three pigment genes with low numbers being light and high numbers being nigger
> geneticists will have the option of toggling on and off a 24th chromosome pairing to switch characters between states of humanoid and primate forms
> ALL GENETICS WILL TRANSFER TO MONKEYS!! (but they will still be a boring brown despite pigment alterations)
>for certain parts of dna such as eyesight, changing the last two digits of the 3 part value set could change that genetic feature to a related feature like nightvision
I would like suggestions for mutable aspects of characters. So far my ideas the following:
> bones (1 set of bone dna is regular, 0 is squishy [ventcrawl with items for monkeys and damage resistance when stacked with squishy flesh], more than that is brute resistance)
> eye pigment
> hair pigment
> beard pigment (exists but doesn't apply in females)
> skin pigment
> flesh (comes in squishy for slime poeple, regular for most species, and spooky for skeletons) repeating this dna set will increase natural damage resistance, reducing it will reduce damage resistance. slime and spooky flesh have inherent superiority over regular.
> scales (amplify to increase damage resistance)
> body hair (comes in level 2 for human males, increasing it to absurd levels by multiplying the set will raise make it start giving defense)
> eyesight (decreasing ammount of sets of eye dna will decrease eyesight level. Changing the eye dna itself can give xray or thermal vision or increasing levels or nightvision. It can be possible to have all those enchancements by having all the sets for that dna in the chromosomes somewhere.)
> nails (inately higher in lizards. increasing sets of it will increase unarmed melee output and reduce glove aptitude)
> muscles (change it to unlock hulk and pile on hulk dna to increase melee output and stamina resistance, take muscle dna away to become more prone to stamina damage and become slower and weaker)
> brain dna (inherently lower in lizards lol, increase sets of it gain tk, decrease sets of it to become genetic retard)
please suggest more things!!
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Genetics Rework Ideas

Post by Scones » #81168

if its about chromosomes, autism had better be a disability
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #81170

Scones wrote:if its about chromosomes, autism had better be a disability
how would one code autism?

EDIT: perhaps instead of "says", the speech text could be "spergs"
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #81171

I wish to highlight the advantages of this system:
+ more variety and less grindy
+ allows for someone to possibly get skilled at genetics
+ allows for more realistic experimentation
+ allows gene splicing
+ allows exact control
+ lots of fun can be had even if only one genetic trait is discovered
+ squishy monkies
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #81172

This sounds awesome.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #81182

deathhoof wrote:I wish to highlight the advantages of this system:
+ allows gene splicing
+ allows exact control
+ squishy monkies
Can we just cut the hexadecimal crap? It just makes it more confusing without actually adding anything.

Other than that sure.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #81185

Neat.

I've also thought however, that stuff like the actual super powers would be more interesting if it was based off a combination of blocks (or in this system, chromosomes).
So instead of just maxing strength to get hulk, maxing strength makes you strong, but if you have certain other genes at the right levels/settings (or just high enough, if it gets too complex) then you can unleash hulk.

The combinations could be randomised on a per round basis,so on one round you might need brown eyes + max body hair, along with max strength to get hulk. The next you might need to be a ginger with bad eye sight, or something like that.

Obviously this could easily become extremely difficult/complex to find super powers, but if a balance could be found, it could make powers a real fun achievement.

DN'give everyone halk'aide is shitty however, and invalidates all of this.
Last edited by lumipharon on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #81186

MisterPerson wrote:
deathhoof wrote:I wish to highlight the advantages of this system:
+ allows gene splicing
+ allows exact control
+ squishy monkies
Can we just cut the hexadecimal crap? It just makes it more confusing without actually adding anything.

Other than that sure.
>doesnt add anything
>adds pricise control and make for great filler for useless genetic code
you what?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #81189

No, the hex IS the useless genetic code. Just make it like a dropdown menu or something, I dunno

deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #81191

MisterPerson wrote:No, the hex IS the useless genetic code. Just make it like a dropdown menu or something, I dunno
Well in irl genetics pigments are usually expressed by multiple genes on usually different chromosomes working in unison to make a color or something. For instance, skin color in humans is expressed by atleast 6 different genetic bits working in unison to make the color of someones skin. This is why mixed race babies can get huge color variety.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #81192

Having lots of genes is fine. Just represent them with values that make sense. For example, setting someone's eyes to be green should involve either picking green from a selection of colors, selecting green from the big color selector currently used when selecting eye color, or it should at least involve typing in a numeric RGB value. Adding hex to the equation just makes things needlessly confusing. If you're gonna do values, at least make them numeric, please. Seriously, screw hex.

I think it'd make more sense to have a dropdown menu and select "laser eyes" than having to play mastermind or whatever.

qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #81209

deathhoof wrote:

Cant talk in room with more then 2 people?
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #81218

qwert wrote:
deathhoof wrote:

Cant talk in room with more then 2 people?
Sounds like it would make for super snowflake code