gang mode victory condition -> station hack

A place to record your ideas for the game.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

gang mode victory condition -> station hack

Post by CPTANT » #85849

One thing that bothers me about the gang gamemode is that the victory condition of tagging 50/60% of the station feels completely artificial.

In certain rounds the gangs just never use violence and just spray graffiti everywhere. It causes the rounds to end abruptly, without any feeling of an endgame a lot of the other modes have. I have no idea why the command staff would go "Oh no they sprayed graffiti everywhere, better give up the station guys". A number of rounds for the crew just go "nothing happens for the entire round but some lunatics spraying paint, now somehow we...........lost?". On the other hand heavily cracking down on people for using graffiti also feels artificial.

What I propose is something that will create an endgame for the gamemode and actually causes more confrontation at the end of the round.

What I propose

Instead of having the gang tag 50/60% of the station to automatically win, the gang leaders at that point get the option to order a "station hack" console from their uplink. This spawns a console that can be activated to start a station hacking process. This sets of a station wide alarm that the station is being hacked. If the console is operational for x amount of time the gang takes over the station and wins.

The other gang will be able to capture the console with their uplinks to transfer it to their side.
The goal of the rest of the crew is to prevent the takeover.

Pinpointers and gang uplinks would be able to locate the console.

Goals for this idea:
- It stops gang war from devolving into an event less sprayfest
- It adds an endgame to the gamemode
- It promotes the gangs having a strong presence in an area they choose
- It involves the crew more in the gamemode

It might feel somewhat familiar to the AI takeover, but I feel that with how the rest of the gang rounds play out and the nature of the 3 way "gang, gang, crew" battle this would be a worthwhile addition to the gamemode.
Timberpoes wrote: ↑Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: gang mode victory condition -> station hack

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85854

"Gang's malf blow the assistants"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #85877

This is a good concept. There is no sense of urgency with gang, except when they are violent, yet do not really need to be. Someone tagged Science from the hallway, and it did not really bother me until one of the gangs rushed in and released the plasma tanks, and took bombs to blow up the brig. Entering a gang's "territory" does nothing to anyone. No buff for the owning gang, or debuffs for crew/hostile gangsters.

To ignore a gang takeover should feel akin to ignoring a blob - something awful will happen if you do not stop it. There should be buffs/debuffs to being in a gang territory, and yes, something horrible should happen if a gang wins.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #85883

I like it

But we will have to wait until june for the feature freeze to end.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #85885

Feature freeze is a good thing, there are errors that have been around since spacemen could only face south.
Stop injecting your dislike of the freeze into a good idea thread.

That being said, At what point do we force gang initiation rights where the prospective member has to hide under the janicart and shoot the janitor when he comes by?
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #85886

I didn't say I dislike the freeze.

I said I liked the idea but would not be able to do it until after the freeze.

It is an acknowledgement and a statement of fact.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #85888

Ohw and ordering the hacking console should come with a crate containing some Tommy guns.

Cause Tommy guns are sadly lacking from the gangwar mode.
Timberpoes wrote: ↑Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #85889

How did I forget about tommy guns?

Man, I should get on that too.

After the freeze.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #85902

Ikarrus wrote:How did I forget about tommy guns?
You forgot about them because way an overpowered as fuck admin spawn gun

Anyways I actually like this idea. Gang uniforms next?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #85904

Yes. I'll have a long list of to dos to eat through after the freeze lifts.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #85909

I'm giving people a timeline of when to expect these things down the road. If I tell people I'm going to be working on something I'm going to tell them when to expect it and why I'm going to be taking so long so it doesn't sound like I'm ignoring them.

I've always been a huge supporter of code freezes. You're being overly defensive here about something you're not even really involved in.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #85915

Fair nuff.
Have you considered changing the name of the modified spray can, to just spray can and allowing the clowns vending machine to pass those out, or maybe the art room gets some (With the crayons wire and handlabeler) so that way you add to stealth elements to the round type, wherein a spray can doesn't make you auto-valid by sec?

Kinda like how cultists just have paper, and revs have flashes.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #85916

I'll probably make it look just like regular spraycans.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #85917

are there already normal spray cans? I've never seen them outside of gang mode that I recall.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #85920

Autolathes can print them at little to no cost. I think the art room starts with one, too.

I'd like to keep them as a controlled item, otherwise it places far too much importance on cargo.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #85921

Ah, well that explains it, Cargo and it's carco never leaves the front door of cargonia
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85940

Every round as a cargonian I fill cargo with properly colored spraycan art.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #85965

I meant more that people OUTSIDE cargonia do not see these spray cans because the only way to get them is the lathe.
And getting things from cargo is a rare event.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85983

*cough cough*meatstationhasapublicautolathe*cough*
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #86035

The fuck is meatstation? basil?
Who gives a shit besides twenty or so elitists?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86116

>metastation
>elitist

It's only because you Box casuals have no idea of good mapping.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #86125

Fuck off with the elitist bullshit.
Seriously, people from both servers put out this best server/shit server crap that does nothing but make you look like a prick.

They have different maps and different pops, that's it.

As for the OP, while I do think the gamemode is a bit unfinished, including win conditions, but I'd probably take a look at how we want the game mode to actually play first, in terms of the tone, and purpose of the different factions - at the moment it's a but of a rev abortion, but it has potential.
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #87526

I like the idea of a endgame, but I think there could be something better than a simple countdown.

Maybe something like having to gather up tribute from all the places you tagged? Certain high value objects that traitors usually go for.
They could either do the whole extortion shtick, or just do a straight up raid of the areas they need items from.
Then they'd have to gather all the items up in an area of their choosing, and slam it in a vault or device of some kind.
Then rival gangs could sabotage it by counter-stealing their objectives. Maybe even turn things around somehow.

I dunno, that's just one example I came up with. I'm sure there could be a lot of other ideas other than a timer.
Anything is better than just having the round end suddenly though.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #87536

Celdur wrote:I like the idea of a endgame, but I think there could be something better than a simple countdown.

Maybe something like having to gather up tribute from all the places you tagged? Certain high value objects that traitors usually go for.
They could either do the whole extortion shtick, or just do a straight up raid of the areas they need items from.
Then they'd have to gather all the items up in an area of their choosing, and slam it in a vault or device of some kind.
Then rival gangs could sabotage it by counter-stealing their objectives. Maybe even turn things around somehow.

I dunno, that's just one example I came up with. I'm sure there could be a lot of other ideas other than a timer.
Anything is better than just having the round end suddenly though.
Why not just skip this entirely and make gang mode entirely 'Capture the Ian'. Get him in your gang's territory for ten minutes and you win! Ian would be immortal in this mode, for obvious reasons. The station would have to get Ian into neutral/station territory.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #87566

*laser Ian roundstart*

Gang confirmed guys Ian's immortal.

*incinerate him/space him*
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87567

Whoever would do that to Ian for the sake of green tax probably deserves a perma.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: