Give department heads more control of their department

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Give department heads more control of their department

Post by onleavedontatme » #90681

Read the bold part if you don't care about my rambling justifications for the idea

I mean it quite literally. This is kind of a zany idea so bear with me. It might be my worst one yet. Seriously I almost didn't post it and I'm usually willing to post really bad ideas.

Everyone knows department heads are more or less a joke. Nobody listens to them.

A lot of people have also been discussing ways to remove the AI's stranglehold on the game.

I've already coded the basics of it (it was surprisingly simple) so I could add make a PR for this as soon as the feature freeze is over. Anyway the idea is

Give department heads an item (I was thinking some magic tech mask or glasses/HUD) that lets them control the doors/APCs in their department via hotkey like the AI does. Simple as that.

-Chemist keeps handing out lube to the clown? Turn off his lab. Some guy refusing to listen to you? Bolt him in, etc
-Delivery to the front door? Open up from the comfort of your desk
-Decreases reliance on the AI in the long term (AI DOOR, AI BOLT THIS OPEN, AI ENABLE EMERGENCY ACCESS), which is important if people are seriously talking about scaling it back
-Unlike the heavily fortified AI, the guy controlling the doors in this scenario will still go down very easily to one stun/a couple of revolver shots, and you'll be able to loot his door magic

QM would get supply/mining doors

Captain would get bridge doors

HoS would get sec doors

RD would get science doors

CMO would get medical doors

etc

Nobody would get main hallway doors, or doors for other departments, even if they have access to them (captain can't control RD doors). Would actually make the CMO, CE, and RD relevant instead of entirely redundant.

Could work as an implant/augment as well, but I'd rather it be something people can steal. Could possibly be extended to other machines in the department as well.

I think the idea of some kind of techno aristocracy each controlling their own little domain is fun. I realize it might not fit very well into the current game/playstyle though. I could see it devolving into nations somewhat easily, or making malf impossible (I think redesigning malf so its not about doors would make it more fun for everyone involved though).

Anyway, there it is, a somewhat radical and probably not the best idea. If someone wants to sprite a fancy tech mask that'd be cool though. Like I said, it's already coded, I just want to limit my embarrassment to this forum before I throw it on github.

Also I swear I'm still working on migrants.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Give department heads more control of their department

Post by DemonFiren » #90686

Captain should also get Gateway, EVA and Teleporter doors. EVA should be shared with CE, Gateway and Teleporter with RD.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #90707

I'd like more details please.

Would this be steal able? Or would it be ID locked, like sec huds where invalid IDs cannot set people to arrest
Would this be Duplicatable Could science make a replacement set? or cargo order a new set?
How could I fight this? Would I cut the AI control wire? Or would a new wire be set for this?
Why glasses? Google glass kinda thing? What about the other glasses commonly used? CMO would have to choose if he sees health bars or if he's the tyrant king of medbay, same with CE and traymeson glasses, Maybe those glasses should have the functionality associated with their department, same with the HoS and sechuds, Or maybe tie this idea to PDA buttons. (Bolt doors, flip breakers, etc etc)
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #90708

Falamazeer wrote:I'd like more details please.

Would this be steal able? Or would it be ID locked, like sec huds where invalid IDs cannot set people to arrest
Stealable, I loathe ID locks. It wouldn't be tied to ID at all in fact, because it'd be based on department. Even though the RD has access to the bridge doors, he can't use them, for example.
Falamazeer wrote: Would this be Duplicatable Could science make a replacement set? or cargo order a new set?
Good question.
Falamazeer wrote: How could I fight this? Would I cut the AI control wire? Or would a new wire be set for this?
AI control wire, emag the door, kill the guy and take his shit.
Falamazeer wrote: Why glasses? Google glass kinda thing? What about the other glasses commonly used? CMO would have to choose if he sees health bars or if he's the tyrant king of medbay, same with CE and traymeson glasses, Maybe those glasses should have the functionality associated with their department, same with the HoS and sechuds, Or maybe tie this idea to PDA buttons. (Bolt doors, flip breakers, etc etc)
Yeah, cause magic hud vision. I guess they could be gloves or something as well (gesturing at doors). I'd rather it be a mask than glasses because merging them with huds sounds like a nightmare. Mask could double as a gas mask and lose no functionality (plus be highly visible). Mask could be the part with the hud built in, since we allow wearing glasses+masks already.

PDA would work as well
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Mon May 25, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #90710

Falamazeer wrote:I'd like more details please.

1 Would this be steal able? Or would it be ID locked, like sec huds where invalid IDs cannot set people to arrest
2 Would this be Duplicatable Could science make a replacement set? or cargo order a new set?
3 How could I fight this? Would I cut the AI control wire? Or would a new wire be set for this?
4 Why glasses? Google glass kinda thing? What about the other glasses commonly used? CMO would have to choose if he sees health bars or if he's the tyrant king of medbay, same with CE and traymeson glasses, Maybe those glasses should have the functionality associated with their department, same with the HoS and sechuds, Or maybe tie this idea to PDA buttons. (Bolt doors, flip breakers, etc etc)
Going off of the OP,
1. Yes, can be looted with no ID locking
2. No, cannot be duplicated (kind of like the hypospray or the CE's magboots, only one exists but it can be looted by anyone)
3. Iunno
4. Fair point

I feel like to balance it out you could make it an item you need to be holding in your active hand to make use of it. That way it can be combated way more easily (disarm) and isn't quite as efficient as being able to have 24/7 access to all your doors (when you think about it, having it be an item you have to use instead of it being a passive effect from equipping an item is a pretty big difference). Also solves the issue of it being glasses.

I actually really like this idea and think it would be hella snazzy. Maybe balance it by only making it able to open/close, bolt/unbolt, and emergency/unemergency access doors. That way traitors can't just remotely disable airlock safetys and doorslam/electrocute people to death.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #90713

PKPenguin321 wrote: That way traitors can't just remotely disable airlock safetys and doorslam/electrocute people to death.
It wouldn't have a door safety hotkey (ran outta buttons, just like the AI), and I don't think the electric shock would be any more overpowered than borgs/AI being able to stun with it.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #90714

I think adding it to their PDA cartridge would work fine, especially since all heads start with a spare cartridge in their lockers. If you lift the cartridge somehow you could use it without an ID lock, or if you snatch their PDA you can use it as you please.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #90716

Hmmm, Seems interesting, definitely worth trying out.
Basically giving heads a little more weight to their words by making them mini AI's (God) of their departments.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #90717

whodaloo wrote:I think adding it to their PDA cartridge would work fine, especially since all heads start with a spare cartridge in their lockers. If you lift the cartridge somehow you could use it without an ID lock, or if you snatch their PDA you can use it as you please.
Yeah, PDA could work fine, but it's a bit clunkier having another window up vs hotkeys.

And like I said, I think having augmented leaders lording over the humans is just cool. If I had the skill/time Mechanicus station/mars station would be my dream project.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #90725

Sounds hilarious but

>qm would get

DONT YOU MEAN HOP YOU FILTHY FUCKING SEPARATIST
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #90726

Scones wrote:Sounds hilarious but

>qm would get

DONT YOU MEAN HOP YOU FILTHY FUCKING SEPARATIST
Nah fuck him he's an all access assistant.

But seriously I don't think giving the HoP control over doors on another Z level will help encourage him to stay at his desk
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #90754

Kor wrote:
whodaloo wrote:I think adding it to their PDA cartridge would work fine, especially since all heads start with a spare cartridge in their lockers. If you lift the cartridge somehow you could use it without an ID lock, or if you snatch their PDA you can use it as you please.
Yeah, PDA could work fine, but it's a bit clunkier having another window up vs hotkeys.

And like I said, I think having augmented leaders lording over the humans is just cool. If I had the skill/time Mechanicus station/mars station would be my dream project.
Could you have it tied to the PDA cartridge but still work through hotkeys, or is that not possible code wise?
I think if you were to add this idea at all, you'd have to make it easy to use. I'd much rather have an in-hand item + hotkeys over a PDA thing that you'd have to use a window for.
I also don't think you should be able to shock/unshock doors with this item, but bolting and unbolting is okay.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #90782

No to hotkeys,

PDA functions maybe, but could be abused remotely if stolen.

It would be best if the heads respective office had more buttons to control shit.

Everyone loves buttons.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #90819

I'm down with any buttons that will give the RD more control and maybe privacy in his damn office.

fuck the AI, honestly

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #90821

Kor wrote:

But seriously I don't think giving the HoP control over doors on another Z level will help encourage him to stay at his desk
The QM is just a shitty lazier nastier cargo tech that pushes others around and adds nothing, remove qm post haste.

Also this subversive attempt to elevate filth scum QM to head level leaves the question of who other than captain has this power over service.

Give hop power to lock filthy QM in room and kill him, perfect.
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #90822

Sounds good to me.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #90824

Incomptinence wrote:
Kor wrote:

The QM is just a shitty lazier nastier cargo tech that pushes others around and adds nothing, remove qm post haste.

Also this subversive attempt to elevate filth scum QM to head level leaves the question of who other than captain has this power over service.

Give hop power to lock filthy QM in room and kill him, perfect.
I figured literally nobody would care about bolting botany doors, I guess HoP could have those though.

Does HoP even communicate with the service people on a regular basis?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #90825

No, but this would probably help. I mean, it's pretty rare that service radio gets used AT ALL BY ANYONE, much less so by the HoP.

QM is needed to keep people in line because while the HoP is the big boss, he's usually got bigger fish to fry. Still, people shouldn't forget who the real top dog is.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #90826

Scones wrote:No, but this would probably help. I mean, it's pretty rare that service radio gets used AT ALL BY ANYONE, much less so by the HoP.

QM is needed to keep people in line because while the HoP is the big boss, he's usually got bigger fish to fry. Still, people shouldn't forget who the real top dog is.
Could just have QM be in charge of mining/cargo doors and HoP in charge of miscellaneous (chef, chaplain, librarian, clown, everyone else that nobody cares about)
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #90838

Or if you are dead set on legitimizing the QM move service under him on the pretense of rations and supplying food and give him control of both. Added bonus of chef/botany/bartender being part of a department maybe helping them out of the getting shit on /ignored by coders "RP job" category.

I saw a QM last game, disgusting creatures.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #90911

As QM I resent that remark.
It just might be correct, though...

...still, if the QM gets control of service, what about the HoP?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #90919

I like the lockdown idea for all departments, but having individual rooms APCs shut off etc seems a bit too spesific and unneeded. If chemist is making lube even after CMO tells not to make it, there's always security to handle it or telescopic baton. To me the overly spesific item can enable powertrippers too much. Granted, powertripping head has only ever happened twice to me so it isn't really that big of a problem, but it might breed the mentality. By powertripping I mean actual arseholes who consider their position and job to solely include trying to get their subordinates to fuck up so that they can be fired for idiotic reasons such as "You didn't report in radio" or "You speak to me only when spoken to".
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #90969

Also speaking of lube, cutting apc power doesn't turn off chem dispensers, it just stops their energy from recharging.
Chem masters stop working though.