Better Hallucinations

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Better Hallucinations

Post by Scones » #91408

Seriously our current ones are shitty, all they do is:
- Create phantom sounds
- Create phantom items on your person
- Create mobs that punch you into holocrit

They should be doing things like:
- Making you see people as monsters/animals
- Hearing people talking distorted/different language
- Make believable sounds; the main issue with the current ones is that they're right on top of you and are incredibly loud, so they'll never actually deceive you into thinking something is happening
- Make you say weird shit

They just don't feel trippy enough as-is. I'm not sure how some of these could be implemented (Seeing people as different races), but I know things like hearing could just change your languages var for the duration of the hallucination
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Re: Better Hallucinations

Post by EndgamerAzari » #91410

Auditory hallucinations ideas:

Someone thumping on a window/banging on a grille
Sound of an e-sword being turned on
That little electric buzz you hear when someone hacks/emags a machine/door
Airlock opening
Distant explosion
Glass breaking
Proximity alarm beep/countdown tick
Hollow thunk ala fire extinguisher to the head

EDIT: how could I forget BWOINK
Last edited by EndgamerAzari on Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #91412

Swapping appearances of people in your vision.
Making you gasp, hey you aren't well you know.
Messing with the RED SCREEN SO REEEL without holocrit.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #91443

The Emergency shuttle call message can already be completely faked by Hallucinations, making you believe it has docked, sound effects and all, you missed that.

As for Azari's point:
* Explosion noise -- Already happens (3 possible sounds, Explosion1 and 2.ogg and explosionfar.ogg)
* Glass breaking -- Already happens (3 possible sounds, Glassbr1 2 and 3 .ogg)
* Door opening sounds -- Already happens (2 possible sounds, airlock.ogg, windoor.ogg)
* Esword sound -- Not quite the same, but gunshots and taser noises are already made (Gunshot.ogg, Taser.ogg)

Found this in the initial port of hallucinations/dreams from Bay12:

Code: Select all

/obj/machinery/proc/mockpanel(list/buttons,start_txt,end_txt,list/mid_txts)

if(!mocktxt)

mocktxt = ""

var/possible_txt = list("Launch Escape Pods","Self-Destruct Sequence","\[Swipe ID\]","De-Monkify",\
		"Reticulate Splines","Plasma","Open Valve","Lockdown","Nerf Airflow","Kill Traitor","Nihilism",\
		"OBJECTION!","Arrest Stephen Bowman","Engage Anti-Trenna Defenses","Increase Captain IQ","Retrieve Arms",\
		"Play Charades","Oxygen","Inject BeAcOs","Ninja Lizards","Limit Break","Build Sentry")

if(mid_txts)
			while(mid_txts.len)
				var/mid_txt = pick(mid_txts)
				mocktxt += mid_txt
				mid_txts -= mid_txt

while(buttons.len)

var/button = pick(buttons)

var/button_txt = pick(possible_txt)

mocktxt += "<a href='?src=\ref[src];[button]'>[button_txt]</a><br>"

buttons -= button
			possible_txt -= button_txt

return start_txt + mocktxt + end_txt + "</TT></BODY></HTML>"
Which would have replaced a few popup windows in the game with gibberish buttons+text, the text here is mainly references.
私は完璧
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #91451

Well, if anything gets changed, nothing should make it completely obvious that you are drugged from the get go.
At least not with low doses.
I actually get fooled sometimes when I get the shuttle message or some dude starts swinging at me.
Until the point where there's suddenly 2 of them, and I'm holding a C4 and there is a hole into space out of nowhere.
Having everyone be animal freak monsters right away would kinda do away with that paranoid feeling.
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #91452

It would be cool if someone coded hallucinations that weren't even directed at the person hallucinating such as a gang of assistants beating the Captain or a bunch of space carp chasing a clown.
Instead of having it make people talk distorted it should just make them say different prewritten phrases.

The hallucinations where people spawn on top of you and deal stamina damage to you is bad and should go though.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
Scones

Post by Scones » #91460

Esword is a good sound to add to the rotation.

It could be varying levels of tripping

Uncanny valley -> direction very clear hallucinations -> OH SHIT NIGGA THE FLOORS ARE SPINNING
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #91462

You tripped!

I'm sorry, please don't hurt me. I thought it was funny.
Mime: Depresso
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #91469

I was just thinking this the other day. We should draw heavily from the final level of hotline Miami 2. Everything changes colors, people look like xenos, get attacked by imaginary hive bots that explode into colors. Make dropping acid a fun activity
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Scones

Post by Scones » #91471

Lifeweb hallucinations do all of the suggested things and more

They make you sputter weird indistinct shit as well

"I must die, but I am already dead..."

also they have some scary af sounds
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #91561

I'd like to see hallucinations be more convincing. The first time fools you, but after that you never really have to sit back and really think about whether you're hallucinating or not.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #91573

>almost all my suggestions are already in the game

It's been awhile since I've tripped balls, apparently.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #94074

I think the hallucinations should be situational and input specific, a changeling's hallucination sting able to be dialed to cause a specific type of hallucination would be great. I'd like to see people lose their shit for no reason because they're hallucinating terrible things because a changeling wants to sow discord, and then later the changeling stings a target and then attacks them shortly after while their victim screams for help with the carp that's gnawing his legs off.

I'd also like nightmare mode that scares the bejeesus out of you with screen-fill terror but when I suggested it in OOC apparently it was too scary for Basil's population I guess.