UPGRADE UPDATE: BLUESPACE BOOGALOO

A place to record your ideas for the game.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

UPGRADE UPDATE: BLUESPACE BOOGALOO

Post by iamgoofball » #93627

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9813
Spoiler:
pic related
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
(From Left to Right:
Quad Ultra Micro Laser
Triphasic Scanning Module
Quadratic Capacitor
Femto Manipulator
Bluespace Matter Bin
Bluespace Power Cell)
Adds a new tier of stock parts. These parts are very expensive to produce, and require mining support. They are very high end parts, but are the best of the best.

If there's a single tile machine you wish was buildable and upgradable, post it below. I want to know what needs buildable.
If you have a suggestion to improve an already existing buildable/upgradable, post it here too

Emitters, Gibbers, AI holopads, Recyclers, Monkey Recyclers, Smartfridges, Seed Extractors, and Processors are now buildable and upgradable.

Emitter Upgrades:
LASER:
Less delay between firing. Great for blobs.
CAPACITOR:
Less power usage. Great for conserving power.

GIBBER:
MATTER BIN:
An extra 3 meat for each tier of matter bin. By default, you get 3 slabs of meat.
MANIPULATOR:
Speeds up the gibbing process and the insertion process. A rating of 2 or higher can allow you to gib without removing clothing items.

SEED EXTRACTOR:
MATTER BIN:
An extra 1000 seeds can be stored per tier of matter bin.
MANIPULATOR:
Gives you a multiplier on produced seeds based on the tier of manipulator.

MONKEY RECYCLER:
MATTER BIN:
Gives an extra monkey cube per tier of matter bin.
MANIPULATOR:
Reduces required monkies to produce a cube by 1 every tier of manipulator, maximum reduction is 1 monkey per cube.

CRUSHER/RECYCLER:
This one had another change.
Instead of processing 1 item at a time, it'll process everything that bumps into it immediately.
MATTER BIN:
Increases the amount of sheets outputted from a successful recycle.
MANIPULATOR:
Increases the probability of getting materials from a grind. Tier 3 or higher allows you to get rarer minerals such as gold and silver from a grind.

HOLOPAD:
CAPACITOR:
Increases the range the AI can travel with the holopad.

SMARTFRIDGE:
MATTER BIN:
An extra 1500 items can be stored per tier of matter bin.

PROCESSOR:
This one had some changes.
It now adds up the processing time of all the contained items and processes those.
You can now process multiple items at a time with the processor.
MATTER BIN:
1 extra output for each tier. So, a tier 3 processor would give me 3 meatballs if I stuck in a slab of meat. Or, if I stuck in a slime, I'd get 3 cores.
MANIPULATOR:
Speeds up the process.

There were also some changes to pre-existing machines.

MICROWAVE now has a matter bin.
MATTER BIN UPGRADES:
Extra 10 items stored for each tier of matter bin.

ORE REDEMPTION MACHINE can now do a lot more in terms of upgrades.
MATTER BIN:
Increases the amount of sheets given for each ore lump.
LASER:
Increases the points given for ore.
MANIPULATOR:
Increases the amount of ore picked up off the tile every tick.

HYDRO TRAYS can now be upgraded with a screwdriver and a RPED just like all the other machines, and no longer needs a complete deconstruction. It now has a manipulator.
You now use a Wirecutter to link trays together. Same goes for unlinking. This is because the screwdriver handles the panel opening now.
MANIPULATOR UPGRADES:
A better manipulator reduces the loss of nutrients and water, and lessens damage to the plants, along with reducing weed growth and pest abundancy. With stock manipulators, these are not lessened at all.

BIOGENERATORS can now hold 40 items by default, and upgrading the matter bin now gives an additional bonus.
ADDITIONAL MATTER BIN UPGRADES:
You can now hold an extra 40 items for each tier of matter bin.
Last edited by iamgoofball on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: UPGRADE UPDATE: BLUESPACE BOOGALOO

Post by onleavedontatme » #93629

>single tile

Fuck you give me shutters
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #93633

Kor wrote:>single tile

Fuck you give me shutters
i tried actually

it went horribly wrong
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #93650

Does this PR add wirecutters to the botany equipment crate? If not, it should, because the crate has a screwdriver for hooking in the pumps
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #93651

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Does this PR add wirecutters to the botany equipment crate? If not, it should, because the crate has a screwdriver for hooking in the pumps
Good point, I'll swap that for the wirecutters.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #93691

I... actually like this. What's the power charge on a bluespace power cell? (Regenerating charge would be fun.)

What if we could upgrade RPEDs to hold more things? And what if we had to use an RPED to upgrade them?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #93701

I already buffed the RPED to hold fifty items! You seriously are asking for more? Come on, now. I love this, so far. There are some bugs that I reported to Goof, but it is going well so far!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93706

Good but a few criticisms. Besides the crusher being exploitable which I mentioned on the github (which isn't really goof's fault, just something that needs to be addressed before this can be added):

1. The crusher uses screwdrivers to repair it after it's been emagged. Will screwdrivering open the panel since it's a machine now break this?
2. Upgrading the smartfridge gives you WAAAAY too many slots. Nobody will ever fill it to anywhere close to that capacity. The seed extractor should maybe be toned down a little bit, too, but not as much since it generally stores more.
3. Mass drivers should be buildable!
4. I'm not sure what purpose upgrading the microwave's storage capacity would serve.
5. Would gibbers be buildable by scientists? If so, this should probably be made a high-end research item, since gibbers are fairly powerful and shouldn't be commonplace.
6. Making slimes give more cores with upgraded processors might be a bit overkill, considering there are already other slime reactions that do the same thing and stacking both can yield insane amounts of slime reactions. I'm not saying remove processor upgrading, but maybe scale it back a bit.

Overall, this is a good change that I'm personally fairly excited for.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #93707

PKPenguin321 wrote:
1. The crusher uses screwdrivers to repair it after it's been emagged. Will screwdrivering open the panel since it's a machine now break this?
You can no longer repair a broken crusher. This is intentional. All the other emag items except for doors stay broken after being emagged, why should the crusher be an exception?
2. Upgrading the smartfridge gives you WAAAAY too many slots. Nobody will ever fill it to anywhere close to that capacity. The seed extractor should maybe be toned down a little bit, too, but not as much since it generally stores more.
Trust me, I hit the current cap all the time. And with the tray upgrades, you'll hit it even more. And with the seed extractor upgrades it'll be holding more seeds.
3. Mass drivers should be buildable!
Maybe someday.
4. I'm not sure what purpose upgrading the microwave's storage capacity would serve.
This one was a request. I figured why not. It'll let you cook more meals at a time, if I read the code right.
5. Would gibbers be buildable by scientists? If so, this should probably be made a high-end research item, since gibbers are fairly powerful and shouldn't be commonplace.
Gibbers are buildable by scientists. I'm planning on making the gibber spit out a brain, however, for the purposes of balance and usefulness for that one changeling objective.
6. Making slimes give more cores with upgraded processors might be a bit overkill, considering there are already other slime reactions that do the same thing and stacking both can yield insane amounts of slime reactions. I'm not saying remove processor upgrading, but maybe scale it back a bit.
It's not as insane as it actually seems like it is, once I fix the problem where it multiplies instead of adds.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #93733

The accessibility of gibbing has been greatly reduced for a reason.

Making gibbers buildable goes pretty hard against that.

The monkey processor seems kind of uh, EXPONENTIAL GROWTH in terms of shitting out 2 million monkeys, to in turn make 8 million slimes.
Same sort of goes with the seed extractor. Most plants (other then pod person plant) it's easy to get lots of seeds. This is one upgrade where in most cases I WOULDN'T want it, simply because what am I going to do with hundreds of excess seeds?

Also a few machines won't benefit from further upgrades.
For example the teleporter can't be safer then 100% safe, and a fully upgraded freezer can chill two tanks of warm oxygen down to minimum in like 1 second already.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #93740

lumipharon wrote:The accessibility of gibbing has been greatly reduced for a reason.
The problem with gib is that you can't revive a gib.

I want to change this. You can indeed revive a gib if the gib leaves behind a brain. Putting the brain into a dead monkeyhuman and then cloning the monkeyhuman body revives the person. There's also borging and AI-izing, and hell, even sticking the brain in a mech. I can just make gibber gibs leave behind a brain.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93757

iamgoofball wrote:
lumipharon wrote:The accessibility of gibbing has been greatly reduced for a reason.
The problem with gib is that you can't revive a gib.
That is the idea, yes. Traitors need this to dispose of bodies or else they get cloned/caught with them. Gibbers being more accessible would be great.

If someone builds a secret gibber murder fort in maint that'd be pretty cool.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93758

lumipharon wrote: For example the teleporter can't be safer then 100% safe
Could remove the rad damage/fly thing at higher levels
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93771

It already does with existing upgrades, that's my point.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #93836

Maybe make it calibrate faster, then? And how quickly does it decalibrate fully upgraded?

Also, as far as freezers are concerned, those still struggle with very large quantities of gas.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93843

It doesn't.

Fully upgraded teleporter is always calibrated, with zero chane for side effect.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #93907

So you'll be able to upgrade all the machinery with level 4 stuff right?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #93918

If we have build-able gibbers, I WILL build one in Robotics to achieve faster borging. Sec may possibly ask for one, but I would presume it is mostly for replacing the one in the kitchen, should it be destroyed.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #94001

Woo, a positive change that even goes as far as helping xenobio in a rather large way (3 cores per slime? woop woop motherfucker)!

Pretty good. Still, not sure how good capacitors aiming at conserving power are, or even how useful it would be unless it's a substantial amount, given power is never in scant supply unless singuloth has escaped, and if it has, then you probably have the shuttle called.

Upgradable gibber is a godsend, relying 100% on the incinerator to kill armored lings is just an irritant. It'd be fantastic if they were also constructable and perhaps, even adding new portable syndigibber for TC would be cool (would require stripping, setup time, and leaves gibs, or possibly, it would be a beacon-summonable 'janitorial cart' with gibbing capability) as well.

More availability for permanent kill equipment can only be a net positive at this point, as almost everyone on these forums seem to want to take the game back to a more lethal level.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #94005

They ARE constructable.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #94009

Te one seriously awful thing I forsee, is every round with traitor scientist:
Upgrade xenobio
Shit out exponential monkeys
Have like 500 monkey cubes on one tile
Let the slimes out
Spray all the cubes
Get thousands of loyal slimes
>slimes, follow
>slimes, kill X

Edit: If you slime yourself, will loyal slimes still follow your orders?
edit2: And conversely, if a ling (or geneticist) imitates you, will slimes think you're their friend and following your orders?
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #94012

lumipharon wrote:Te one seriously awful thing I forsee, is every round with traitor scientist:
Upgrade xenobio
Shit out exponential monkeys
Have like 500 monkey cubes on one tile
Let the slimes out
Spray all the cubes
The story most likely ends here, as we encounter another The Bible melts scenario.

Honestly though? I think try it and see. If a scientist can make that many loyal slimes and control them to great effect, then props to them. Remember that the gold standard for traitor scientists is 6 maxcap bombs, which are considerably easier to pull off. Actually managing to coordinate your work to that point as a xenobiologist traitor without the shuttle already being called, having been brutally murdered by another traitor etc etc should at least see their efforts rewarded.

Man, I want to see a locker full of slimes dumped onto the shuttle and the perpetrator scientist activate RED SLIME MURDER MODE. That'd be awesome.
Mime: Depresso
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #94020

Making a slime arm is already possible. My point is that currently it requires time and effort. With upgradable machines, you can get like 5 cubes from 1 monkey - slimes don't even have to get involved, you just keep chucking one monkey into the processor to get infinity cubes, then just let the slimes out before making the cubes monkeys, and you have no further input - you just let the slimes feed and multiple.

We call them our shake 'n' bake colonies.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #94055

lumipharon wrote:Making a slime arm is already possible. My point is that currently it requires time and effort. With upgradable machines, you can get like 5 cubes from 1 monkey - slimes don't even have to get involved, you just keep chucking one monkey into the processor to get infinity cubes, then just let the slimes out before making the cubes monkeys, and you have no further input - you just let the slimes feed and multiple.

I thought the description in the op was 1 monkey to 1 cube, tops.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #94062

cedarbridge wrote:
lumipharon wrote:Making a slime arm is already possible. My point is that currently it requires time and effort. With upgradable machines, you can get like 5 cubes from 1 monkey - slimes don't even have to get involved, you just keep chucking one monkey into the processor to get infinity cubes, then just let the slimes out before making the cubes monkeys, and you have no further input - you just let the slimes feed and multiple.

I thought the description in the op was 1 monkey to 1 cube, tops.
that's the upgrade that reduces the amount of monkies it takes for a cube

there's another part that upgrades the amount of cubes you get from a process
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #94120

So you end up getting out more than you put in eventually?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #94128

Upgraded biogenerators already do that. 1 harvest from a garden roundstart apple seed in a tray with robust harvest yields 1000(or was it 4000?)+ biomass and one monkey cube costs around 82 biomass. This has been ingame atleast a year now and yet you still don't see scientists doing this every round.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #94132

Do most xenobio people even know to do that?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #94137

DemonFiren wrote:So you end up getting out more than you put in eventually?
This is the only part I really object to. You can't put in one monkey and get out three monkey cubes (equals three monkeys), that's...

One monkey = three cubes.
Three monkeys = nine cubes.
Nine monkeys = twenty-seven cubes.
Twenty-seven monkeys = eighty-one cubes.
Eighty-one monkeys = set one on fire and watch as they all bump into each other.

But physics-wise, that just doesn't make sense. You can't get out more than you put in, that extra mass has to come from somewhere. Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Come on, guys, it's the first law of alchemy...
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #94149

I've already done the mass-monkey-murderfire thing before this change. The hardest thing is transporting the cubes. You need a garbage bag if you want to move the cubes in any sizeable quantity. You can also drop like 150 cubes into a slime pen, spray your fire extinguisher a few times, introduce a grey slime, and watch the server slow to a crawl (Don't do this).

Anyway this is awesome.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #94202

TheNightingale wrote:One monkey = three cubes.
Three monkeys = nine cubes.
Nine monkeys = twenty-seven cubes.
Twenty-seven monkeys = eighty-one cubes.
Eighty-one monkeys = set one on fire and watch as they all bump into each other.
Fun fact, by generation 15 you would have 4,782,969 monkeys. While not realistically feasible because you would have to manually insert over a million monkeys, this amount of monkeys would probably crash the server if you activated them all at once with a fire extinguisher.

It's also worth noting that that amount of monkeys totals out to (probably) more than the count of literally every other object (including walls and space tiles) combined.
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #94207

None of these arguments are convincing me that exponential monkeys shouldn't be a thing.

And c'mon, getting more of an equation than you put in is exactly the kind of high-end sci-fi dickery that this game exemplifies, especially when it's something dumb like freeze-dried monkeys.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #94254

In light of https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... -110161368

Upgrade shield gens to be anchored against the SUPERSINGULARITY (Stage 5+) so we can make doomsday engines running off the obscene power offered by a stage 6
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #94273

But can we really expect scientists to bother running around the station upgrading things when they already have R&D, toxins, xenobio, and the experimentor to play with? Thats not even considering the addition of research chemistry if goof had his way. I like the sound of all these T4 upgrades but what are the odds they will actually be used outside of R&D?
Spoiler:
Mechanics when?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #94279

Scientists rarely if ever upgrade shit until they've got the max upgrades anyway.
And non shit scientists do go around upgrading shit - people appreciate it a lot.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #94283

Loonikus wrote:But can we really expect scientists to bother running around the station upgrading things when they already have R&D, toxins, xenobio, and the experimentor to play with?
Well, I've got a solution to that.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... -110178813
Last edited by iamgoofball on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #94286

That almost makes it seem too easy, but I guess considering the cost of the materials of both the BRPED and the components themselves it would be fine.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #94294

That makes it retardly easy. Just give it higher capacity, none of the other junk.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #94297

lumipharon wrote:That makes it retardly easy. Just give it higher capacity, none of the other junk.
No. This is more fun and interesting. And useful. Plus players love the idea from my random polls.

ps: new sprite
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #94301

Well at the very least make it requires some half decent research. It doesn't even require any bluespace right now.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #94304

That is true, it should require considerable bluespace, engineering, and/or data theory research considering both balance and the fact that it is an extreme precision portable teleporter.

If that sounds like too much and your worried that it will make people not want to upgrade at all, make the normal RPED a bit cheaper to compensate. It might help tide people over until they get the deluxe version.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #94305

Loonikus wrote:That is true, it should require considerable bluespace, engineering, and/or data theory research considering both balance and the fact that it is an extreme precision portable teleporter.

If that sounds like too much and your worried that it will make people not want to upgrade at all, make the normal RPED a bit cheaper to compensate. It might help tide people over until they get the deluxe version.
This sounds good.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #94333

Scones wrote:In light of https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... -110161368

Upgrade shield gens to be anchored against the SUPERSINGULARITY (Stage 5+) so we can make doomsday engines running off the obscene power offered by a stage 6
I very much want this as well, goof pls

also as I said in the PR, don't make the BSRPED cost diamonds, goof pls
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #94396

LIVE ON SERVER
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #94435

Goofball, ALL THE MACHINES SHOULD BE BUILDABLE.

At least that's my two cents.

As for the field generator parts resisting singulo pull, yess please... they should only get torn off if the singularity is forced to enter their tile because it's too big.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #94447

Oh, do I smell S5 in containment, here?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #94456

The amount of minerals you get from upgrading the redemption machine is pretty rediculous.

Even super matter bins TRIPLE your minerals.

A mining satchel gives you enough minerals to last the round.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #95511

Not to mention, one word: bananium.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #95536

Personally, I enjoy the mad bananium gains from upgrading the crusher and welcome our new clown overHONKs.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: