Multiverse Sword

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Multiverse Sword

Post by onleavedontatme » #96458

Wizard item (or badmin/highlander 2.0). Decently robust blade (20 damage).

When used in hand, summons a ghost as a copy of you from another universe. This copy will a random race, clothes (russian, syndicate, various theatre costumes, etc), and appearance, as well as their own multiverse blade, while of course sharing your name. The copies have the objective to assist you/protect you.

The cooldown is 40 seconds, shared across all blades owned by you and your copies.

The catch is if someone kills one of your copies/takes their sword, they can use it to summon their own copy (maybe give the original an objective of some sort if they're not an antag). Said copy will of course have the objective to defend their original. Their blades will operate on their own cooldown so as not to fight over ghosts.

The intended goal, of course, is rival mobs of clones butchering each other in the hallways.

I've already mostly coded it (just need to add a list of possible equipment spawns for copies, and finalize their objectives). I thought I'd ask for any feedback first, or any particular costumes/themes you want to see for the multiverse clones.

Also need a cool sprite or its just gonna be an ugly claymore reskin. PR should be up within a couple nights.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Multiverse Sword

Post by PKPenguin321 » #96465

Sounds hilarious but also very broken, would love to participate in clone mobs but it may work better as just an admin item
Imagine a wizard just sitting in maintenance (maybe he jaunts into that little 1x1 space between the bar and kitchen with the basketball) exponentially growing more and more clones. It's horrible for game balance and exponential things like that are never good (balance-wise). Not to mention a wizard taking it, trying to use it mid-combat, and not having a ghost to manifest the corpse. This results in a dead wizard.
Honestly though, events centered around it would be hilariously fun. :+1:
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #96467

Wouldn't be exponential, as all his clones would share his cooldown. When person X uses a sword, all of X's clones swords lose their charge as well. Y would still have his sword free to use though
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #96469

I like this idea, sounds like something a chronomancer would do.

A whole army, of meeeee!
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #96546

apprentice scrolls are a thing though
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #96553

Miauw wrote:apprentice scrolls are a thing though
Yes I know I added those.

This is however completely different.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #96605

Kor wrote:Wouldn't be exponential, as all his clones would share his cooldown. When person X uses a sword, all of X's clones swords lose their charge as well. Y would still have his sword free to use though
Ah, I figured they all had independent cooldowns. Regardless, wizards could still farm clones, it would just be slightly slower.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #97345

I feel like the Multiverse sword should have the potential to give a copy wearing the Flash Costume with old character speed before the horny nerf (Because the original Silver age Flash started the DC multiverse and popularized the multiverse to the common folks)
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #97351

One of the 'clones' should have a goatee and have all his objectives be the opposite of the main wizard's.

Another could just be an average dude who works at space Starbucks or something.
EmGee
Byond Username: EmGee

Post by EmGee » #99980

THE MIGHTY GALVATRON wrote:One of the 'clones' should have a goatee and have all his objectives be the opposite of the main wizard's.

Another could just be an average dude who works at space Starbucks or something.
yes
+1
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #105556

Finally got around to finishing this. It's live on server.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #105563

Make it where the clones can not be disarmed of the sword/flashed.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #105588

Plenty of swords to go around dude, If you lose yours, grab another, a few minutes in and the fuckers are everywhere.

I was deeply confused by this round at first, but I caught on eventually after some direction from Kor.
Great event, if I knew at round start, what I know about it now, It would have been pretty fucking sweet.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #105652

All we need are icons to denotate fellow clones. It's really insane having to examine every man woman and child in a 20 man battle in the hallways to figure out which are fellow clones.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #105793

Was the most fucked up chaotic shit ever.

It was awesome.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #105805

Used it earlier tonight, it should really bring up a prompt for people instead of pulling them in, that way you can avoid bringing in braindeads/people who are not interested.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #105828

I find the sword a VERY fun thing. A badmin gave everyone a sword the moment it went live, I was the RD at the time. Most people were simply fighting with them, at the beginning, I just used my baton + sword combo to try and halt some of the fighting within Science. Once I had a moment to play with the sword, I found its 'bind' option and started spamming it until I spawned another Magni. We then worked together to take out some people in the hallways on our way to the bridge, all the while pinging the sword to try and get more clones. From the bridge, I tricked the AI into letting me into the upload to subvert it. At some point, someone else had the same idea and overwrote my laws with something, at which point the AI started flooding plasma, with some of my clones dying from having no internals. Surprisingly, no one set any of it on fire!

I am not sure how it happened, but some of my clones had broken off and were constantly pinging their swords to maximize the Magni spawning, until my clan was one of the three major groups left. This led to a GLORIOUS war in Escape between clan Bronzebeard and the Simon groups! We were so thick at that point that I did not know which guys were mine and who was a Simon! I clearly had some really robust players on my side, as it was a very bloody battle to overtake the shuttle. Before we launched, a lone atmos tech, seemingly without a sword, floated around the outside, obviously having second thoughts about trying to get in. We did not get the chance to end him before the shuttle launched, though.

One off-topic thing I want to mention: If you are playing RD, DO NOT ENABLE YOUR REACTIVE ARMOR ON THE SHUTTLE OR AI SAT. YOU WILL HAVE A BAD TIME IF SOMEONE HUGS YOU..

All-in-all, I love this sword, and the chaos it causes.
Ghende3
Byond Username: Ghende3

Post by Ghende3 » #105876

what's the toggle for disabling beng spawned as a clone?
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #106096

Ghende3 wrote:what's the toggle for disabling beng spawned as a clone?
Fun hater detected.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #106178

Ghende3 wrote:what's the toggle for disabling beng spawned as a clone?
Wizard toggle
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #106179

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Used it earlier tonight, it should really bring up a prompt for people instead of pulling them in, that way you can avoid bringing in braindeads/people who are not interested.
It shouldn't bring braindeads, as the get_candidate proc already checks for those.

If they don't want to join in they can toggle their wizard flag off for a round.

We have plenty of things that rely on forcibly enslaving people to serve an antag (emagged borgs, AI laws, soulstones, rev, gang, cult, shadowling). A pop up every time the sword was used would slow down an otherwise fluid/chaotic "mode."
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #106703

It's a lot of fun to play with and against. Having an army of clones making more clones of each other only to run off and die is hilarious.

What do you think about these clones?

A thief with a balaclava and a tacticool vest, it could even spawn with a sack of coins.
A clone with sunglasses, leather overcoat, and two foam pistols in his pockets.
A clone in a cardborg suit.
A clone of the opposite gender.
A cowboy clone. Think work boots, well hung jeans, a sombrero renamed as a cowboy hat, and a cap gun.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #106861

Played one round with it so far. It's pretty cool. I ended up summoning up a bunch of clones and telling them to ignore the objective and just protect the medbay staff and ensure people got cloned. Unfortunately once I was killed they decided to just murder anyone and everyone who wasn't Kreyvn Morhed. The objective of making sure that only you and your clones get off the station alive seems like a pretty bad idea. It basically means that as soon as someone grabs the multiverse sword from a wizard the round just turns into a huge DM round. Having that objective for the wizard's clones might be a good idea but for the crew it should probably just be "make sure (your master) and x amount of copies of him/her get off the station alive".
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #107190

Had a round with the multiverse sword and I've noticed it needs some pointers.
The biggest and most important are HUD icons. I could not begin to tell you how often I got attacked by my own side because I was wearing a face covering and someone else's ID to avoid being lynched by everyone else. Also the Pirate clone doesn't appear to get his own sword, which is a bit of a big design flaw since clones have not much else going for them and are pretty useless without one. Another thing I would suggest is giving their ID at least maintenance access so they can at least try to keep up with the Wizard who is more than likely more mobile than anyone else on the server by virtue of jaunting.

Just minor things really
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #107466

One Seven One wrote:Suggestions
Clone gender is already randomized, but the rest sound good. It'd be relatively simple to add, so I encourage you to try yourself. Stop by #coderbus some time if you need help.

Otherwise I'll keep them in mind to add eventually when I revisit the sword for tweaks.
Jacough wrote: Having that objective for the wizard's clones might be a good idea but for the crew it should probably just be "make sure (your master) and x amount of copies of him/her get off the station alive".
Currently crewmembers have a 30% chance of getting the hijack objective and 70% chance of getting a "save the station" objective. That might need rebalancing though.
Anonmare wrote:stuff
The guy spawning without his sword should be fixed now.

Their IDs should already have maint.

HUDs will be tricky, I might have to redo them as datum based group antags like gangs are.
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #107655

Kor wrote:Clone gender is already randomized, but the rest sound good. It'd be relatively simple to add, so I encourage you to try yourself. Stop by #coderbus some time if you need help.

Otherwise I'll keep them in mind to add eventually when I revisit the sword for tweaks.
I'll need to take you up on that offer some time. I like this game and I'd like to help out in some way.
I just need to find out how to work with the code first.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #107752

The few wizard rounds I've played have turned into an absolute clusterfuck because of this sword.

I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #108071

This is an utterly retarded item to be normally obtainable by wizards. Admin only? Sure, great.
But it's an item the costs the fucking same as any other spell/item, and lets see what it does.

1) Robust melee weapon
2) Creates INFINITE ANTAGS with the sole objective to murder the fuck out of everyone
3) INFINITE ANTAGS also have their own sword of spawning INFINITE ANTAGS

It turns the round into highlander with respawns turned on in 5 bloody minutes.
The ONE time the round didn't turn to utter shit because of this item, was when I mercilessly hunted down anyone with a sword and cremated them.