Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg [PR now up]

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Re: Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg

Post by TheWiznard » #168648

Give it a gun that shoots..." Friendliness Pellets".
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #168677

Drynwyn wrote:Code is *mostly* done, once sprites are finished I should be able to get a PR up within a week or so (my schedule permitting).
In that case, we just need to wait for Daniel to finish up the egg sprites. If he's busy or we never hear back, we can always just use the hugbot sprites until somebody wants to finish the egg sprites (being chased down the hallway by autism incarnate will serve as excellent motivation). Thank you so much for taking the time to make this happen.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169621

(It's been 4 days, so I don't feel bad double posting)

Daniel seems to be MIA (last visit was on the 7th), so we should probably go ahead with his hugbot sprites for now. If the community doesn't care for them, they can finish the egg sprite themselves. Here you go, Drynwyn:

Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169628

Alright i'll see if I can get this wrapped up by next week.

UPDATE: OH SHIT MOMENT

The current borgs all have nifty transformation sequences. That means that the Peacekeeper needs one too, which means it needs sprites.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169672

Yeah, we'll need that too. For now though, I suggest using a static image of the standard borg as a placeholder. The most important thing in my opinion is getting a working version of this out and demonstrating that the peacekeeper is both viable and a good secborg replacement. If we can do that, I guarantee that a spriter will pick it up.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #169675

I don't like that peacekeeper sprite at all, it feels like it's from a completely different game. It does not fit in at all with the other cyborg sprites.

What's wrong with the original red one? If you want to emphasize that it is not a security cyborg, just make the red parts blue.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #169677

Your weekly reminder this is still a terrible idea
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169679

Ricotez wrote:I don't like that peacekeeper sprite at all, it feels like it's from a completely different game. It does not fit in at all with the other cyborg sprites.

What's wrong with the original red one? If you want to emphasize that it is not a security cyborg, just make the red parts blue.
This is also an option if we're feeling supremely lazy. Actually, a hug-ified secborg might work well. Recolored secborg sprite might work well as a placeholder at least, and we can edit the colors in the transformation animation too. Whichever you guys prefer.
Zilenan91 wrote:Your weekly reminder this is still a terrible idea
Daily reminder that you are the same person who thought that newcult was a good idea
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #169680

At its core, it was a good idea, yes. But TK fucked off and never supported it so it had tons of problems that were never solved.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169689

How does a pink secborg sprite sound?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #169709

this still sucks

drynwyn why are you enabling him
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169718

Because most people disagree with you

Edit: Or at the very least, the vast majority of people are at least interested in testing this in some capacity. You're in the minority here.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #169727

Luke Cox wrote:Because most people disagree with you

Edit: Or at the very least, the vast majority of people are at least interested in testing this in some capacity. You're in the minority here.
no poll no proof lad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

that aside, a "majority" can be wrong, especially when it's not really a majority and just really vocal and really salty ex-secborg players :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169733

Then let's get a working version of this, test it, and see how it turns out. If it's utter, unfixable garbage, I'll concede defeat. However, I and a lot of other people really want to see some kind of secborg replacement, and we've very close to having a working version.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #169787

Luke Cox wrote:Then let's get a working version of this, test it, and see how it turns out. If it's utter, unfixable garbage, I'll concede defeat. However, I and a lot of other people really want to see some kind of secborg replacement, and we've very close to having a working version.
A lot of people also wanted sec borgs the fuck out of the game, and after months of shitflining with whiny siliconfags we finally got it and the game became significantly better. In what way do you think undoing that to any degree is a good idea? Our "test" was secborgs, and secborgs are shit.

>b-but more passive borg! its blue this time!!
Doesn't make it any better in my eyes
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169790

I have gone to great pains to make sure that it is physically impossible for this borg to act as a secborg in even the loosest capacity. It can't restrain, it can't detain, it can't stun, it has no sec hud, etc. Your argument boils down to "half the playerbase didn't like secborgs so we should never try anything related to borgs that prevent harm ever." You and Zil are literally the only outspoken opponents of this. If you don't like it, fine, but stop acting like you represent some significant portion of the playerbase when you are part of a tiny minority.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #169792

I have to agree with that fag cunt borg hater pkpenguin, it's pointless to add a neutered version of the secborg, if it doesn't fill the niche it has no reason to exist. And if it does fill the niche, just bring back secborg, it already exists.

edit: also this looks stupid
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #169798

Show Zile and Penquin equivalent respect and just ignore them.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #169809

Secborgs were cancer, and any attempt to fill their niche ("but not really, guys!") is cancer by default.
Bring back papercult.

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169810

InsaneHyena wrote:Secborgs were cancer, and any attempt to fill their niche ("but not really, guys!") is cancer by default.
10/10 logic
Scott wrote:I have to agree with that fag cunt borg hater pkpenguin, it's pointless to add a neutered version of the secborg, if it doesn't fill the niche it has no reason to exist. And if it does fill the niche, just bring back secborg, it already exists.

edit: also this looks stupid
That's the issue though, there is a niche to be filled. Secborgs were originally supposed to be a means for the AI to stop humans from harming the shit out of each other, aside from bolting doors and yelling at sec. This is different in that instead of being geared towards neutralizing the attacker, it's geared towards helping the victim flee. As I said, no stuns, no restraints, etc. Secborg utterly failed at the task it was meant to accomplish, this is meant to be a fresh take on it. At worst, I can see this being service borg tier. I thought this through, I am absolutely certain that they will never be secborg cancer.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #169825

No that's absolutely retarded. Secborg had the basic non harmful security equipment, if players not following their laws has nothing to do with the tools.

Stop tempting me to shitpost, mrperson will ban me.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169877

PKPenguin321 wrote:this still sucks

drynwyn why are you enabling him
because i need practice coding and this is something that deals with things I haven't had occasion to learn in the past
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #169888

Fuck the drama I just want my egg okay
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #169899

I hate saying this because it's mean and sounds like a personal attack, but you should really just ignore PKPenguin321 since he will always be negative and hateful about everything borg related and will always find something to complain about. (and this is a general observation not just based on this singular thread...) (this will probably be removed anyway...)

The peacekeeper borg as a replacement is a good idea. Personally I never thought there was anything wrong with the secborg to begin with, but hey... we can't have nice things.

If people are willing to put in the effort to come up with ideas, someone even volunteered to code it all and we already have an idea for sprites and everything... then there's really no reason not to at least just test it.
Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Post by Smeller » #169906

Secborgs were like a fucking APC, sec called 'em when they've expected stuns, stings, whatever that isn't bullets. Sec is pretty much powerful right now.
They were cancer actually, as they would arrest me for crimes, not harm, so meh
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #169907

They were A, sure, but they didn't C much P.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #169915

dionysus24779 wrote:I hate saying this because it's mean and sounds like a personal attack, but you should really just ignore PKPenguin321 since he will always be negative and hateful about everything borg related and will always find something to complain about. (and this is a general observation not just based on this singular thread...) (this will probably be removed anyway...)

The peacekeeper borg as a replacement is a good idea. Personally I never thought there was anything wrong with the secborg to begin with, but hey... we can't have nice things.

If people are willing to put in the effort to come up with ideas, someone even volunteered to code it all and we already have an idea for sprites and everything... then there's really no reason not to at least just test it.
It's not a good idea because it will inevitably cause anger and frustration. This is a cyborg module designed to grief, it's better at pissing people off than the secborg.

And of course, this will result in even more silicon policy.

Absolutely awful and I do hope Kor shuts it down. It's worse than removing the secborg.

edit: did I mention the sprite is awful?
Last edited by Scott on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #169917

Smeller wrote:Secborgs were like a fucking APC, sec called 'em when they've expected stuns, stings, whatever that isn't bullets. Sec is pretty much powerful right now.
I know right.

And damn those engi borgs for repairing busted internal windows and damn those mediborgs for treating non life threatening injuries, right?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169924

Scott wrote:
dionysus24779 wrote:I hate saying this because it's mean and sounds like a personal attack, but you should really just ignore PKPenguin321 since he will always be negative and hateful about everything borg related and will always find something to complain about. (and this is a general observation not just based on this singular thread...) (this will probably be removed anyway...)

It's not a good idea because it will inevitably cause anger and frustration. This is a cyborg module designed to grief, it's better at pissing people off than the secborg.

Absolutely awful and I do hope Kor shuts it down. It's worse than removing the secborg.

Every other borg module in the game has more grief potential than this. The worst this can do is flash you, and it physically cannot restrain, stun, or harm you. I know that thinking for yourself and adapting to changes can be frightening and challenging, but stick with me and we'll get through this together.

1. Obtain a flash
OPTIONAL: Wear eye protection to prevent counter-flashing
2. Wait for the griefing peacekeeper to approach you, which it will have to if it wants to do anything
3. Apply flash to borg
4. Beat borg to death with your blunt object of choice
Malkevin wrote:
Smeller wrote:Secborgs were like a fucking APC, sec called 'em when they've expected stuns, stings, whatever that isn't bullets. Sec is pretty much powerful right now.
I know right.

And damn those engi borgs for repairing busted internal windows and damn those mediborgs for treating non life threatening injuries, right?
I agree that secborgs were mostly a policy issue, but the admins showed that they give zero fucks about enforcing silicon policy. A mechanical solution is necessary.
Redblaze3000
Byond Username: Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #169926

Zilenan91 wrote:Your weekly reminder this is still a terrible idea
Fuck off shitter.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #169927

Luke Cox wrote:
Scott wrote:

Every other borg module in the game has more grief potential than this. The worst this can do is flash you, and it physically cannot restrain, stun, or harm you. I know that thinking for yourself and adapting to changes can be frightening and challenging, but stick with me and we'll get through this together.

1. Obtain a flash
2. Wait for the griefing peacekeeper to approach you, which it will have to if it wants to do anything
3. Apply flash to borg
Malkevin wrote:
I know right.

I agree that secborgs were mostly a policy issue, but the admins showed that they give zero fucks about enforcing silicon policy. A mechanical solution is necessary.
Please explain how a useless cyborg is a good idea.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169934

Because while this borg is total shit at direct controntation, it can slow down an attacker just long enough for the victim to run away.

Also, explain why service borg is still in the game
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #169946

Service borg fills a niche, efficiently. This fat borg you made in your own image does not, it's just a griefing tool.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #169957

DOES THE EGG HAVE A VIBRATE FUNCTION! ROBOTICS NEEDS TO KNOW! FOR RESEARCH!
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Topham

Post by Topham » #169969

So, secborg has been removed because it became a venue for validhunting shits to valid because they fucking could. It was a controversial removal, but one that overall worked out pretty well because it discouraged silicons overall to valid and instead to do their job along their laws as closely as possible.

Now, here we have an idea that is meant to expand the silicons' abilities to do their job and follow their laws while actively discouraging validhunting however possible, through policy, design, and even goddamn sprites. Will validhunting shits still try to take advantage of this? Yes. It's inevitable. They will use anything possible to do so, but those are hopefully a very small minority. The important consideration is this:

Will this addition improve the game in some way?

As far as I see it, there are two main logical sides to the argument that I will try my best to sum up as fairly as I can.
  1. Expanding the capabilities of silicons is very well in-line with the universe, considering the whole premise of a space station with a functional AI and cyborgs and what not. This expansion should be a welcome addition to the arsenals of the silicons to better complete their job and should therefore improve the game because it grows and refines a very central game mechanic: silicons.
  2. The peacekeeper borg is a new outlet for validhunting shits to do their validhunting shit. Validhunting has a primarily negative impact on the game experience and community as a whole, and should be actively discouraged through disallowing any new venues for validhunting.
Ultimately, both of the two arguments are based very largely on one or two major assumptions, but fortunately for us all of these assumptions are entirely testable, as long as we approach it well.

I think that the Peacekeeper Borg is a big deal because it fills a niche, the size and importance of which is largely debated in our playerbase. Since silicons are so central to the game culture, environment, and community, this is something we need to pay attention to. If we want to resolve this issue maturely, we have to wholeheartedly put effort into creating a reasonably balanced borg with mechanical and design-based discouragements from validhunting and then test this borg to see how the community reacts. This is why I support the egg the best, as it is very far separated from any notion of validhunting and will ultimately shrink the niche of the secborg itself while filling it without validhunting capabilities. Also, the egg is fucking adorable.

If the game environment is largely improved upon testing the borg then good job us, we have a love egg now. If the game environment seems to be worsened because of the borg then good job, we have more evidence to support the idea that the niche of the secborg might have little to no reason to be filled.

tl;dr: My main point is that a lot of the arguing in this thread is very hypothetical and not very grounded or supported by facts, instead supported by "VALIDS PLS GO" and "LOVE EGG PLS". If we want to settle this like the adults we're supposed to be, we should fully develop and test the borg to its greatest capacity, and work from there. Additionally, after we test it, we would have a very solid basis for the fucking giant argument present throughout the community about silicons and validhunting.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #169971

Or you can re enable secborg since it is already capable of doing the job of preventing harm and doesn't look ridiculous.
Topham

Post by Topham » #169972

Scott wrote:I'm a big meanieface who doesn't want a kawaii-desu love egg nyaa
ftfy

Also, why not put in the effort for change? Change might not always be good, but being open for change is, I would say.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169973

Well said, Topham. I don't doubt that the borg will need some tuning before it's just right, but saying that we shouldn't even attempt to balance it because "muh AI validhunting" is retarded. Let's get a working version of this and go from there.

Also, while I agree that the egg is adorable, it probably isn't going to happen right away unless somebody wants to finish spriting it. I'm going to make a recolored sec borg as a placeholder using the Hugbox in perma as a color palette until we can get something more polished. Has anybody got the secborg spritesheet?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #169975

Topham wrote:
ftfy

Also, why not put in the effort for change? Change might not always be good, but being open for change is, I would say.
Why doesn't it vibrate?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Topham

Post by Topham » #169979

ThanatosRa wrote:Why doesn't it vibrate?
Now that I've finally figured out more or less how github and all that business works, maybe I can work on coding in a *vibrate emote for borgs. Hell, don't slimes vibrate?
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169981

Coding a vibrate emote for borgs that didn't have an associated animation would be the work of a minute.
Also I don't like the blue hugbot sprites, somebody make egg sprites for me k?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #169982

Luke Cox wrote: 1. Obtain a flash
3. Apply flash to borg
I like the eggborg and all but this is the exact same for the standard borg.

If the eggborg gets put in then the standard borg shouldn't have a hardstun since it is the jack of all trades but a master of none [which in this case would be stunning]
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #169985

Drynwyn wrote:Coding a vibrate emote for borgs that didn't have an associated animation would be the work of a minute.
Also I don't like the blue hugbot sprites, somebody make egg sprites for me k?
I'll make you a set of recolored secborg sprites that we can use until somebody can be assed to make the egg sprites. Anybody got the spritesheet?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #170043

Luke Cox wrote:I have gone to great pains to make sure that it is physically impossible for this borg to act as a secborg in even the loosest capacity. It can't restrain, it can't detain, it can't stun, it has no sec hud, etc.
Then what's even the point? You clearly haven't thought this idea through.

Luke Cox wrote:but stop acting like you represent some significant portion of the playerbase when you are part of a tiny minority.
Speak for yourself, lad.
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #170079

love dis idea tbh
Topham

Post by Topham » #170080

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:but stop acting like you represent some significant portion of the playerbase when you are part of a tiny minority.
Speak for yourself, lad.
PK, I respect you and your opinions but I feel like you may be representing a minority here in your passionate opposition to the peacekeeper. Plenty of people seem not to give a damn, and there are a few people who honestly want it to happen. Even if there were more people that hated this idea, I still feel like it'd be a worthwhile experiment that would, as stated before, give us something to work with as far as the validhunting silicon argument. You're free to believe what you like - hell, I'm pro-egg but I don't know what this would mean for the game - but I firmly believe that good will come out of at least giving this shit a try.
And Luke, don't feel like you represent a majority either. You're too pro-peacekeeper to do so. But I am with you in that we should give this a try.
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Luke Cox wrote: 1. Obtain a flash
3. Apply flash to borg
I like the eggborg and all but this is the exact same for the standard borg.

If the eggborg gets put in then the standard borg shouldn't have a hardstun since it is the jack of all trades but a master of none [which in this case would be stunning]
I'm not yet sure whether or not the standard borg should keep its hardstun but we have to realize that because of the secborg's disappearance, anyone whose validhunting dick is hard enough is going to go for the standard borg module to satisfy that urge anyway. I think that the standard borg module should be purposefully made obsolete by the other borgs, as it was before secborg was removed. The eggborg would once again make the standard borg obsolete, which is where it probably should be with the whole "jack of all trades master of none" thing.
Besides, even now standard borg is shit, it's literally only useful for validhunting.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #170084

If this does go through, I would like to see a rework of the standard borg module
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #170202

Topham wrote:
memes
Fixed that for you.

I have changed many things in this branch of SS13 and I've embraced good changes, but this is just a shitty idea.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #170206

Embrace the good change of removing yourself from this thread, then, because this idea is fucking awesome.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #170210

No it isn't.