Merge doctors and chemists

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Merge doctors and chemists

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #270599

Bottom post of the previous page:

cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:Please do this, Chemists are usually useless and relying on them rarely ever works out.
"Chemists are assholes" is a bad reason to remove the job.
"Chemist exclusivity gives the chemist berth to express how much of a asshole they are when asked to do stuff" would probably be more appropriate wording. Basically hold most of medical to ransom for the chems they need if the mob hasn't deconstructed the barrier windows out of rage & looted everything, then go quit & do stupid shit when you get overruled and eventually the MD steps in to do the job you should be doing while calling sec for your arrest.

- As borderline hostile relations as R&D for pushy people jumping the queue and B&A just to get their meta-gear, i won't say the word if you don't press me to, but you know what i mean.

Spoiler:
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #271971

I think you're kinda exaggerating. Sure it can happen, but most of the time I've never had an issue getting chemicals from chemists. As long as it's something reasonable. Hell, even as an assistant half the time they'll give me chemicals if they aren't obviously dangerous. I used to play chemist a lot and rarely saw it get mobbed and looted too. Usually only in an emergency like when the AI went rogue and everyone wanted to make thermite to burn his lair down. The only thing that would always happen in my experience is on box the clown would make a hidden wall by the chem dispenser so he could make lube.
--Crocodillo

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271975

Don't excuse the behaviour, the players don't care about you as a chemist, they care about what they want to do with the chemicals.

Its like HOP, *if they know you are either reliable or a pushover they don't throw any aggro at you.

Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #271989

If chemists don't bother doing their jobs and pull ancap NAP memes over being demoted for it, ban those chemists

Really though, just abstract it:
A does thing to provoke action from B
B acts
A murders them on the spot if B doesn't succeed in said action, or else comes back for revenge if they do
B ahelps
A says it was self defence

"thing to provoke action" is being shit at / not doing job
"action" is demoting
in either case murder/eternaltide is a shitty escalation from being demoted anyway
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271997

I mean, a chemist is within their right to not dispense chemicals to strangers or those who they feel will use innappropriately AKA. obvious shitters, or very offkey requests that sound extremely fishy. Same as for most other jobs that deal with service interactions with the 'public'

Its like people running up to HOP desk asking for a random assortment of access nowhere near their local workspace for no given reason.

- You can in theory be bwoinked and have a note/ban put on you for being complicit with a non-antag (and edge case) bombing by being a direct supplier of materials to a request that sounds suspicious.

Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #272001

Yeah but there's a far cry between "not providing lube and deathchems to the clown" and "not making medicine for doctors"
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #272008

Then where is the bottom line in the complacency chemists (or "any staff that actively service the station", janitor, clown & mime, chef, chaplain, R&D, robotics, xenobio, toxins, botany) in what the are willing to do? There isn't one, if they fuck off they risk the wrath of people around them but aren't going to get a note or banned for it.

They cannot be commanded with law 2's, so doing your job to standard should be enforcable in such a position. (there already is a legal term, derliction of duty in space law)

Dissolving the position in favor of doctors only makes it a generic medical staff problem which is a lot easier to manage, like how the scientists are cut from the same cloth but just work different positions.

Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #272011

Banning people for not doing their job isn't what I'm talking about.
Banning people for nonantag murdering the CMO for demoting them for not doing their job is.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272067

I sure love when I'm the botanist and the chemist gives me 50 units of mutagen and then if I want more after makes me wait 7 minutes while he very slowly reads the chemistry guide and works on a project of his own followed by making chemicals for the guy who's waiting before me
Or the ones who make me wait and then refuse to give my chemicals unless I say please and kiss their ass

Chemist is the ONLY job where the game is more fun for everyone else when nobody picks it.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #272085

You'll only end up posting
"I sure love when I want chems but the dispensers are all being used by autist powertrippers while the MDs who want to give me mutagen stew impotently", Lazenagnn
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #272088

i dont know why we're discussing this its a good idea and should be done
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272105

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:You'll only end up posting
"I sure love when I want chems but the dispensers are all being used by autist powertrippers while the MDs who want to give me mutagen stew impotently", Lazenagnn
At least someone in that scenario would want to give me mutagen
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #272110

Chemistry is my realm and I cant fathom pesky stutterwhores that aren't me placing their small neko hands on my precious piece of equipment.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272121

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Chemistry is my realm
This explains a lot
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272145

Lazengann wrote:I sure love when I'm the botanist and the chemist gives me 50 units of mutagen and then if I want more after makes me wait 7 minutes while he very slowly reads the chemistry guide and works on a project of his own followed by making chemicals for the guy who's waiting before me
Or the ones who make me wait and then refuse to give my chemicals unless I say please and kiss their ass

Chemist is the ONLY job where the game is more fun for everyone else when nobody picks it.
me me me
now now now

You admit that the chemist is working on several things at once and you're pissed that the guy doing the job doesn't do it fast enough for your liking. It turns out when you have somebody that doesn't know what they're doing they might be slow. Expanding the number of people shoving into the chem lab isn't going to make that guy faster. Its just going to stuff more people into the chem shed to keep said newbie chemist from learning the job.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272160

cedarbridge wrote:me me me
now now now

You admit that the chemist is working on several things at once and you're pissed that the guy doing the job doesn't do it fast enough for your liking. It turns out when you have somebody that doesn't know what they're doing they might be slow. Expanding the number of people shoving into the chem lab isn't going to make that guy faster. Its just going to stuff more people into the chem shed to keep said newbie chemist from learning the job.
The newbie chemist wouldn't be learning the job because chemist wouldn't be a job any more.

edit: and yes, I do think having to wait 7 minutes for another player to click the chlorine, radium, and phosphorus buttons one time each so I can do anything interesting is fucking stupid because god forbid the chemist lets anyone in to touch the other dispenser he's not using
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #272170

have you considered getting fucking good and learning how to botany without crutches
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #272172

This thread and idea are bad and you should feel bad.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272180

Screemonster wrote:have you considered getting fucking good and learning how to botany without crutches
Alright I'll make blumpkins with left 4 zed let me just set the pumpkin production speed to 1 so it'll mutate before the shuttle comes

Oh
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272191

Lazengann wrote:The newbie chemist wouldn't be learning the job because chemist wouldn't be a job any more.
What kind of backwards rationale is this? Fuck new players because I want my autism juice RIGHT NOW.

As discussed elsewhere anyway, there's a word of things you can make in botany already that don't require you to start morphing the place into second arms race. Removing an entire department because you can't figure out how to get what you ~need~ without smashing windows and tearing your hair out is dumb.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272235

cedarbridge wrote: Removing an entire department
Cedar stop posting and read the threads. This isn't removing a department, it's giving medical doctors access to chemistry. I don't know if you play this game often but it's usually easier to get chemicals and medicine when there isn't some shithead who thinks he owns the dispensers and inconveniences others just so he can feel important.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272238

Lazengann wrote:
I don't know if you play this game often but
Stopped reading right here. Stop doing this. It makes you look stupid.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #272248

cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:
I don't know if you play this game often but
Stopped reading right here. Stop doing this. It makes you look stupid.
I don't care about looking stupid as long as I win the dispute
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272275

Lazengann wrote:<snipped quote tree>
Only it doesn't. That's the point. You tried to pull this shit on Cobby in the Botany thread and got told to get lost for the same reason. You're not going to score any points pretending you're the only one who plays the game. We get it. You don't like having to ask the chemist to give you something that enables your botany meme plants.

You've so far ignored all reasons why:
1) This doesn't solve the problem you propose to solve.
2) This doesn't solve the real reason you want this change made.
3) This is really just a sideways way of trashing on new players that made you wait a few minutes for your mutagen.

If you want to present your change and have it considered seriously then you should do so without trying to turn this into a personal war between yourself and anyone who disagrees with you.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #272348

cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:<snipped quote tree>
Only it doesn't. That's the point. You tried to pull this shit on Cobby in the Botany thread and got told to get lost for the same reason. You're not going to score any points pretending you're the only one who plays the game. We get it. You don't like having to ask the chemist to give you something that enables your botany meme plants.

You've so far ignored all reasons why:
1) This doesn't solve the problem you propose to solve.
2) This doesn't solve the real reason you want this change made.
3) This is really just a sideways way of trashing on new players that made you wait a few minutes for your mutagen.

If you want to present your change and have it considered seriously then you should do so without trying to turn this into a personal war between yourself and anyone who disagrees with you.
But this DOES make doctors a not completely useless job and it gives the former chemist a way of actually leaving their booth and utilizing their chems.
it WILL make fewer people in those roles suicide out of boredom.
it DOES increase the traitor potential of medbay.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272352

CPTANT wrote:But this DOES make doctors a not completely useless job and it gives the former chemist a way of actually leaving their booth and utilizing their chems.
it WILL make fewer people in those roles suicide out of boredom.
it DOES increase the traitor potential of medbay.
Not really though. MD's are still the same job they were before except they're also all now chemists. Chemistry will get used about as much as it already does because there are still only two machines and the two players who are already roundstart assigned to chem will just fill those seats randomly from spawn placement with a merge.

I've rarely seen a MD player "suicide out of boredom." The job is shallow and thankless in its current form but the players rolling MD intentionally generally accept that it is what it has been for a while now. It won't really improve by adding chem access. Its still the same job.

Traitor chemists and CMOs were already a thing. Traitor chemistry is super robust already so having the chemists noticeable in their bright orange uniforms is a minor but useful counterbalance. MD's who wanted illicit access to chem could already do it reasonably easily without free roundstart access and by giving the whole department access you're actually making it harder to get sneaky things done because not there could be any number of people suddenly barging into the lab to take a peak.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #272357

You roll MD just to be a doctor with additional access to chem and cloning so you can run medbay solo, i don't see the remainder of your argument? Its not exactly secret in a open office surrounded by windows anyway, its sneaker to find a backroom in medical to mix some chems you take with you.

Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #272363

But nobody cares about whatever you mix in the first place.

You can just stand there mixing super obvious ClF3 or something else and people will just go "lol, hellfoam"

And now you say yourself that it is a shallow and thankless job. How does adding chemistry NOT change the job, it gives something to actually do in those long spans of time between people needing medical aid.

The chemistry system may be robust but it is vastly under-utilised since chemists have no reason to ever leave their booth, a chemist out of his booth is instantly noticeable.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #272479

i'm going to do this

but i'm also going to have a front facing chem lab and a back room chem lab

best of both worlds
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #272483

iamgoofball wrote:i'm going to do this

best of both worlds
Yes please. Any more chem functionality machines planned to fit the backroom?

Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #272484

probably chem vats
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272486

CPTANT wrote:And now you say yourself that it is a shallow and thankless job. How does adding chemistry NOT change the job, it gives something to actually do in those long spans of time between people needing medical aid.

The chemistry system may be robust but it is vastly under-utilised since chemists have no reason to ever leave their booth, a chemist out of his booth is instantly noticeable.
You're mixing my argument around to suit yourself. Its shallow and thankless because the system that it is built on is shallow and encourages self-service. You won't change that by turning everyone into chemists. The system will remain shallow and self-service. You fix that by changing medical (see the other thread on the topic) not by just making more chemists to produce more self-serivce chems. You're proposing a bandaid solution to a medical system badly needing depth by saying "well, chem has some depth and I don't like waiting for mutagen so lets just make everyone a chemist so then medbay will suddenly become interesting because everyone will be doing chem."

A chemist out of his booth should be noticeable BECAUSE the system is robust. That's entirely the point. We don't have some magical shortage of chemists doing antag things as chemists so I don't see your argument here. Are you suggesting that antag chemists would rather just sit in the chem shed than be antags?

CPTANT wrote: You can just stand there mixing super obvious ClF3 or something else and people will just go "lol, hellfoam"
You need to make up your mind. Is chemistry a robust threat that players should care about or a meme that people blow off because who cares what the chemist is doing?
FantasticFwoosh wrote:You roll MD just to be a doctor with additional access to chem and cloning so you can run medbay solo, i don't see the remainder of your argument? Its not exactly secret in a open office surrounded by windows anyway, its sneaker to find a backroom in medical to mix some chems you take with you.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #272495

iamgoofball wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:i'm going to do this

best of both worlds
I'd be interested to hear how you propose balancing that though. What do you propose being different from the front facing and back room labs?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #272500

Good, because its too easy to break into those places and get access to ALL the machines. Chem vats are a little ambigious, i would have thought a storage of supplies (pillboxes etc), the personal lockers for chemists and maybe a additional piece of machinery (a centrifuge machine or something like that?)

Its both cedar, a dangerous meme people don't take too seriously that will end up killing people, as long as you have a near endless supply of chems a traitor on the run chemist (or port chem scientist) is a very dangerous person able to break down defences with acid, flammable substances and also trip people with cleaning agent while not being affected due to noslips.

Spoiler:
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #272707

Weekly "You should just remove genetics and put chemlab there with dual med/sci access and just have taggers and boxes to deliver chems. Also add 100ml jugs you can make using chemmaster" post.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #272808

Doctor Pork wrote:Weekly "You should just remove genetics and put chemlab there with dual med/sci access and just have taggers and boxes to deliver chems. Also add 100ml jugs you can make using chemmaster" post.
Good
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #272906

iamgoofball wrote:probably chem vats
Like industrial scale mixing vats? That would be pretty cool.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #273564

Give chemists shock collars so if they leave their post they get permastunned give cmo the key
The future is horrible!
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #273759

Doctor Pork wrote:Weekly "You should just remove genetics and put chemlab there with dual med/sci access and just have taggers and boxes to deliver chems. Also add 100ml jugs you can make using chemmaster" post.
Just gonna put this here and get it out of the way for the week. See you in 7 days.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #287111

Doctor Pork wrote:
Just gonna put this here and get it out of the way for the week. See you in 7 days.
Whoops I forgot. Whatever 7 days, a month, who's counting?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #287120

weekly response: no
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #287130

oranges wrote:weekly response: no
How about just the jugs and a tagger for chemlab?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287340

Doctor Pork wrote:
I tried doing the taggers thing but apparently I'm shit at fixing map conflicts.
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #287352

cedarbridge wrote:
Doctor Pork wrote:
I tried doing the taggers thing but apparently I'm shit at fixing map conflicts.
Maybe they chemist could have them with their starting equip to avoid having to do map hijinx?
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #293664

Doctor Pork wrote:
Doctor Pork wrote:
Whoops I forgot. Whatever 7 days, a month, who's counting?
Toroic
Byond Username: Toroic

Post by Toroic » #293929

This is only an issue outside of baymed tbh.

Broken bones requiring surgery makes doctors essential for a lot of the injuries that show up throughout the round, with brute injuries being just chem-healable there's little need for ghetto surgery and thus little need for docs to do real surgery.

Especially with the cloning change there's little reason to do surgery period on injured people, which basically means chem implants and augmentation is the only thing to do.
Unprofessional Catgirl and Straightboy Supreme.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #294189

Ban Pork from the ideas forum.
Doctor Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #295208

cedarbridge wrote:Ban Pork from the ideas forum.
THE HEART WANTS WHAT THE HEART WANTS CEDAR AND WHAT MY HEART WANTS IS TO MAIL 100ML JUGS OF METH ALL OVER THE STATION

WHY WONT YOU LET ME HAVE THIS
DiamondSentinel
Byond Username: DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #295534

So basically, you're saying that have the most active department should have the fewest jobs a department has.

Because that's a great idea... Doctors don't have nothing to do. Yes, they spend a lot of time with machines, but there's also surgery, field medicine, etc.

Anyways, I've never seen more than 2 just regular doctors running around, so to say that we need to make the doctor the jack-of-all-trades would make most of medical quite unfun.

On the other hand, I think that science could use to be a little more spread. I'd suggest making Xenobiology and Toxins their own job, just like Medical has all of their jobs. On the other hand, if you guys shoot that down, then I suppose medical should get the same treatment, and consolidate them all.