Plumbers

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Plumbers

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #270233

Paraphrased from other places i've mentioned it especially in Xhuis's aquastation thread which contains the basis of water & piping, this is pretty much a collusion of those spontaneous ideas

Plumber is a service personnel breakoff of the janitor and housed in the same room, the plumber's job is to maintain the non vital but still important water piping system around the station and is usually a low importance job (second hand atmos 101)

- The plumber appreciates the chef's pasta meals and gains a small amount of healing.
- The plumber can crawl in all pipes that are large enough to fit him (manually enters disposal pipes without nessecary flushing or when the disposals is unsecured.)
- Also acts as a involuntary fireman for redirecting water where its needed for fighting plasma fires or fueling engineering projects.

- A dwarf plumber (made smaller to fit criteria to enter small pipes rather than big ones) can flush themselves & emerge directly out of a toilet or enter a vent or a scrubber after 'unsecuring' the vent (not deconstructing) with a lever to get past the outward mesh. Both will require internals to survive, and if the pressure is wrong can die & block up the pipe awaiting their replacement plumber to collect them. A dwarf plumber can in theory enter more places than a atmos crawler can, not least perma, so sneak in DNA injectors in bread to the prisoners.

The usual focus of a antagonistic plumber is to either emag the water producing machine that feeds the stations H20 network so that it produces sickness & vomit inducing sewage instead of water (hurts plants, causes slow & minor toxicity damage) or outright flood the station or cause tactical water bursts.

- The plumber can spread blood bourne sicknesses into the water supply by washing bloodied clothes in the non-waste disposal channel. Or dump bleeding bodies into the water vat to pollute the the water.
Misc - Throwing cherry bombs/explosives down toilets creates a massive pressure shockwave that can kill plumbers working on pipes and will fuck up the toilet.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Plumbers

Post by cedarbridge » #270285

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Paraphrased from other places i've mentioned it especially in Xhuis's aquastation thread which contains the basis of water & piping, this is pretty much a collusion of those spontaneous ideas

Plumber is a service personnel breakoff of the janitor and housed in the same room, the plumber's job is to maintain the non vital but still important water piping system around the station and is usually a low importance job (second hand atmos 101)

- The plumber appreciates the chef's pasta meals and gains a small amount of healing.
- The plumber can crawl in all pipes that are large enough to fit him (manually enters disposal pipes without nessecary flushing or when the disposals is unsecured.)
- Also acts as a involuntary fireman for redirecting water where its needed for fighting plasma fires or fueling engineering projects.

- A dwarf plumber (made smaller to fit criteria to enter small pipes rather than big ones) can flush themselves & emerge directly out of a toilet or enter a vent or a scrubber after 'unsecuring' the vent (not deconstructing) with a lever to get past the outward mesh. Both will require internals to survive, and if the pressure is wrong can die & block up the pipe awaiting their replacement plumber to collect them. A dwarf plumber can in theory enter more places than a atmos crawler can, not least perma, so sneak in DNA injectors in bread to the prisoners.

The usual focus of a antagonistic plumber is to either emag the water producing machine that feeds the stations H20 network so that it produces sickness & vomit inducing sewage instead of water (hurts plants, causes slow & minor toxicity damage) or outright flood the station or cause tactical water bursts.

- The plumber can spread blood bourne sicknesses into the water supply by washing bloodied clothes in the non-waste disposal channel. Or dump bleeding bodies into the water vat to pollute the the water.
Misc - Throwing cherry bombs/explosives down toilets creates a massive pressure shockwave that can kill plumbers working on pipes and will fuck up the toilet.
Plumbing is a system we have kicked around several times already and its an interesting concept. This, however, is not.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #270337

cedarbridge wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Paraphrased from other places i've mentioned it especially in Xhuis's aquastation thread which contains the basis of water & piping, this is pretty much a collusion of those spontaneous ideas

Plumbing is a system we have kicked around several times already and its an interesting concept. This, however, is not.
Why did you quote it?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #270360

The hut beckons
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #270377

Its a football
I chiseled it!
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #270394

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #270395

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Its a football
I chiseled it!
It's a stone, super aggro crag. You didn't invent it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #270422

Come on, you mean you don't love the idea of the ability to crawl through pipes with internals on, kneehigh in literal sewage (everything poured down the sink and generic 'dirty water') and give off stinklines all the time without a shower?

Or shivving someone on the toilet / Chasing Pizza monsters in the water supply ? Its actually a relatively cool way of stopping atmos from ruining a round by having another non-departmental pipe maintainer even if in authority its a case of ( Plumbers < Atmos ) that can control the pipes and therefore learn the general layout without actually being responsible for it

- What are your actual balance concerns or objections to this member of staff that will be needed else if a properly defined water piping subsystem (pending) is added, atmos is going to be overloaded with work (burst pipes all over the place, system buckling) or are you REALLY going to put assistants in charge of such a vital thing?

Fun fact - I actually have original ninja turtle VCR tapes of some of those classic episodes, cool shit man i should rewatch them sometime.

Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271016

Plumbing has its own system up in Xhuis's PR. I quote from the first paragraphs or so
Xhuis
add: Sinks, toilets, showers, and other water-reliant objects now draw from a plumbing tank that generates reagents for the entire station. These reagents can be changed by anyone who can access the tank.

WIP. I put this out because I didn't want to finish the entire feature only to have it be closed, and it's actually somewhat functional as of now.

Currently the sprite is a placeholder. If you feel like making a cool sprite I'd love to go with it.

Adds a new machine, the master plumbing tank. I haven't decided which job will get this yet, but I'm leaning towards engineering or atmos. I don't want to give it to janitors, because that is a job that should, in my opinion, stay shallow and not require much work.
Plumbers and atmos share access to the water tank and plumbing informational mainframe, sound fair? Because atmos is a busy (and if the two workplaces are far apart you're going to have water atmos and air atmos and that's going to be difficult to micromanage) job especially when they ask for engineering access

- Already my idea of emagging the water machine to generate sickness inducing sewage or contaminating the water is within the feasability of reality, even if you reject the notions of plumbers crawling in pipes/being healed by pasta because you hate fun or anything new.

- Engineering has enough work to do with the the supermatter & maintenance, while atmos will be busy so my idea could well be supported

Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271025

You shouldn't be able to just smack the tank with an emag and poison the water, that's way too low effort
Limey wrote:its too late.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271030

Qbopper wrote:You shouldn't be able to just smack the tank with an emag and poison the water, that's way too low effort
About as low effort as xhuis's current design of synthesising water or any chemical you put into it by reading the PR document. But thank you for holding valid criticism, i appreciate it.

> You'd probably also have to disable the drain function too so it doesn't autodrain from the machine.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #271044

both are low effort as fuck and the dwarf stuff is bad.
wait no atleast xhuiss' doesn't involve this stuff, this is worse!
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271049

kevinz000 wrote:both are low effort as fuck and the dwarf stuff is bad.
wait no atleast xhuiss' doesn't involve this stuff, this is worse!
Im not holding you at gunpoint to keep the dwarfism, the pipe crawling can be thrown out of the window. I would have just thought originally that with genetics help that it might have been intuitive as well as novel to have toilet scuba divers.

Fair enough, but finding a source of fresh water (or gas to mine mmmmm mekhi?) in space is hard without synthesising it.

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #271129

Well better get a water miner IDGAF
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #271138

If it's, I quote "low effort as fuck", I'd be happy to hear your ideas.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #271139

There's already a janitor.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271147

kevinz000 wrote:Well better get a water miner IDGAF
It might be rich from a meme-edgelord like me but lately mekhi you've been talking like a child to all topical debates and character assassinating people while contributing nothing to yourself. If you don't have anything to actually say that isn't a (funny) joke or constructive comment then i don't see why you are even here commenting.
Lumbermancer wrote:There's already a janitor.
Yes but janitors are known to neglect duties of cleaning dirt that is right infront of them or picking up litter/replacing lights. It doesn't actually add onto the job depth, as much as make having a absent janitor not working ANNOYING BY TENFOLD. (hence why having another seperate job is useful)
Xhuis wrote:If it's, I quote "low effort as fuck", I'd be happy to hear your ideas.
Well said.

Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #271148

If you're gonna have a plumbing system it should probably have pipes too. if it doesn't it's incomplete tbh
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #271156

You could just go full simcity and have a single plumbing tank only effect a small area around them (with a small amount of pipes). Then you could stick them in maintenance around departaments, which makes it harder to poison the entire station with 1u of acid
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #271166

My qualms with pipes is the amount of work it would take for both mappers and players. Imagine having to update every map with an entirely new pipe net. That's what pipes would cause, and even if I make it eventually, it's most certainly not happening right now. I could certainly add smaller tanks for departments, though, and it's something I've considered.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #271169

Xhuis wrote:My qualms with pipes is the amount of work it would take for both mappers and players. Imagine having to update every map with an entirely new pipe net. That's what pipes would cause, and even if I make it eventually, it's most certainly not happening right now. I could certainly add smaller tanks for departments, though, and it's something I've considered.
Please, please do.
And also what about liquid puddles and floods will that be a thing (I do understand it'll be hell to make both of that due to balance issues.)
Last edited by kevinz000 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271273

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Xhuis wrote:If it's, I quote "low effort as fuck", I'd be happy to hear your ideas.
Well said.
his post was a response to you posting
FantasticFwoosh wrote:About as low effort as xhuis's current design of synthesising water or any chemical you put into it by reading the PR document..
Limey wrote:its too late.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271282

Duhoy, my bad i was still processing my caffiene at the time. Still well said, people need to make a stand eventually.

I've already said my piece on keeping the chemical function behind a safety lock (maybe that was on the PR thread i can't remember), it can exist in its current form since functionally a portable chem fabricator can fufill the same function on a smaller scale for infinite water. At a strech other than 'its magic fabricating shit' id say that the machine passively collects space particles such as hydrogen with a invisible bluespace atomic net from ice asteroids passing through the sector to power its liquid collection.

- Maybe its innate problem should be how many chemicals it can process at once, emagging a base level water generator might only release the safety lock (otherwise done with wire fiddling) and summary further changes alter the base chemical that is being dispersed.

- Upgrading the machine should allow you to dilute the water with additional chemicals (therefore achieving kors wet dream of keeping the station stupid with flouride/mercury), by splitting it up into fifths at bluespace parts level, and then offer control of how much water/chemical you want it to be (third water and two thirds neurotoxin might be enough to keep it potent but also disguised as water the same way bartender drinks can be concealed.)

That's my solution anyway, its going to suck up power from somewhere anyway, if i had things my way id take portable chemical fabricators off the energy grid and make them battery operated so they really are portable and not a drain.

Spoiler: