What does the Monkey gamemode need?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

What does the Monkey gamemode need?

Post by Stickymayhem » #21012

Most people I've seen do enjoy this mode, and so do I. It's a pleasant palette cleanser and a nice change, but as it currently exists it is incredibly shallow.

A big part of this stems from the change preventing monkeys from using items such as guns, which turns them into fast little bastards that bite five crewmembers then die. Again this is fun, and can be terrifying as a crewmember, but turns the gamemode into rev, with zero possibility of cooperation and absolutely no objectives.

I think the mode could benefit from maintaining simplicity, but becoming way more violent. It's the perfect mode for a more messy fight between armed crewmembers and screeching, rabid monkeys.
  • So, in that line of thinking:
  • Make jungle fever take far longer to kick in, but make each bite from a unique monkey reduce the transformation time. This would encourage frantic mobbing of individual targets that separate from the rest of the humans, and would create a snowball effect in larger groups, as new additions remain in the group that infected them until a mass of monkeys is crawling through the hallways.
  • Allow monkeys to pass by each other even on harm intent, to further facilitate this group style of attack
  • People infected with Jungle Fever bleed profusely, marking them as people to be wary of and goring up the station a little. Could occur after a set number of bites from unique monkeys as explained above.
  • Make riot gear and maybe rigsuits immune to biting, forcing a little more strategy
  • Obviously add some kind of win/lose condition that makes sense. Currently the round doesn't end when all infected monkeys are killed. Which just turns it into weird extended.
  • Give monkeys something else to use. Perhaps variations on the virus that denote certain abilities, like being able to explode in a blood-bomb of infectious gore, or hiding as aliens can do, or hell a gorilla tossing people around as the monkey juggernaut could be cool to.
This is all obviously just ideas, but I'd love to see the mode go places that turn it into a fully fleshed out gamemode.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Rose-chan

Re: What does the Monkey gamemode need?

Post by Rose-chan » #21021

This is probably a stupid idea, but here we go.

An infected human requires bananas to heal from jungle fever, so botanists are going to be producing a lot of them. So, what if monkeys could eat bananas in order to "evolve" into different classes. For example, they can become a warrior class that allows them to use special monkey themed weapons which are created by the scientist class, who can craft items from the bananium generated by the worker class. Some of the weapons you might see are bananium spears, with a banana slip effect; a barrel that can be rolled in a straight line to cause knockdown but breaks when it runs into a wall/table/etc; and a banana peel gun that fires banana peels! Also, clowns should be immune to the effects of jungle fever so they can use the bananium to build their coveted HONK while the station descends to madness around them. What do you mean this sounds to much like alien mode? I assure you it's completely di-- okay it's alien mode 2.0.

Warrior Class Pound your chest and assert your dominance

-only class that can use weapons
-more health than other classes
-can command NPC monkeys to attack

Scientist Class The minds of the future

-only class than can turn bananium into items
-can use machines and computers
-can create the spider monkey serum!

Working Class Get back to work you peons

-can carry things through vents
-generates bananium through eating bananas
-more infectious bite

Spider Monkey Nightmares are made of these
-can spin webbing
-paralyzing bite
-can lay spider monkey eggs by draining corpses
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #21023

It will never ever be coded but that is an awesome idea, and the class system was one that I considered. Controlling NPCs sounds pretty complex though. I'd rather see the warrior class have a similar to mechpunch style attack and just pound people.

A plant based tech tree is an awesome idea that makes botany important for once though. Which is just great.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Rose-chan

Post by Rose-chan » #21024

By commanding NPCs, I really just meant turning nearby monkey NPCs into hostile mobs that will attack humans on sight.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21026

Having different classes is definitely a good idea.

Only biosuits should be immune to infection in my opinion.

Having different varieties of jungle fever (some of them disable humans in some way even before the transformation, some cause sneezing, some of them give infected monkeys buffs, etc.) would be nice.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #21044

Spoiler:
Change the sprites and call it zombie mode
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #21056

Reimoo wrote:
Spoiler:

I want this mode to be L4D but monkeys now.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #21060

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes mode.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #21063

Monkeys are more fun than overplayed zombies and zombies can't vent crawl.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #21555

Stickymayhem wrote: hell a gorilla tossing people around as the monkey juggernaut could be cool to.[/list]
Hell Gorilla, please.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21559

I'm thinking this needs a new mob Ape, which might be a derivative from human code wise, but I'm not sure. It's just monkeys need to be able to do more stuff (I heard that they can't even shoot weapons now). The jungle fever on the other hand should be slower to turn.

Another problem is that monkeys have no way to return into the round. Like, nobody's gonna turn them back into humans and clone them or anything like that.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #21632

Cipher3 wrote:Dawn of the Planet of the Apes mode.
YES. PLANET OF THE APES MODE.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #21674

Mechanically, the biggest issue is that to win the Monkeys need to escape on the shuttle, but they have no means themselves of calling it. Something has to happen there; possibly giving them access to computers as long as they're infected.

I was under the impression that monkeys could use guns, but apparently that's only in certain cases (such as changeling monkeys). Wow how antifun is that who would get rid of monkeys with guns c'mon. Infected monkeys (possibly monkeys in general?) should totally be able to shoot people :^)
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #21799

Probably intended as another nerf to geneticists monkeying themselves to break into the armory. Which is stupid, but w/e,
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21800

Brig has separate ventilation system. You can't ventcrawl in or out of brig.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #21801

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Brig has separate ventilation system. You can't ventcrawl in or out of brig.
Which is also why you never see Aliens set up a hive in the Brig, because they don't have easy access to it.

I personally like the fact that Monkeys can't use eguns. Especially in the early game they won't need them since they just want to infect people.

If we had a system as suggested earlier where you can evolve your monkey (Planet of the apes?) to a point where you can use complicated weaponry it would be more viable.

I guess I just need to sit down and wait for a round of Monkey mode to pop up.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21805

Well the biggest problem I've got with it is that monkeys are very deadly, meaning that a single bite and you're bound to become a monkey in a very short period of time, but they are also very easy to kill. It may be all fine, but if you die as a monkey, there's no way to get back into the round whatsoever. I guess more careful approach and frequent ventcrawling are in order.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #21847

I like the idea of riggsuits being immune to monkeybites. We just had a monkey round, and I was afraid to go on the station despite having a +4 goliath plate rigg suit because I knew it wouldn't do anything to protect me.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21849

Rigsuits are overpowered enough. Bio suits should probably protect against virus though.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #21856

monkeys being able to use guns means traitor geneticists will go monkey and ventcrawl to armory like they used to, that's fucking dumb.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21862

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Brig has separate ventilation system. You can't ventcrawl in or out of brig.
That's point A.

Point B is that monkeys cannot ventcrawl with items.

The best you can do is break into brig somehow, ventcrawl into armory without items, then break out if you want to keep guns.

Ergo that change is retarded and uncalled for.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #21882

Can we have Orangutans.

And orangutan statues.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #21901

Reimoo wrote:
Spoiler:
Might as well change the name of the game to Blandstation Blandteen (or Centration) when we're at it.

I think Monkey should go back to its roots. Instant infection, short quick rounds, the crew gets overrun or monkeys get wrecked.

I would much rather see Xeno made a proper gamemode.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #22024

unbug it. add those classes said above. make bannanas have a purpose. pls.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #22044

paprika wrote:monkeys being able to use guns means traitor geneticists will go monkey and ventcrawl to armory like they used to, that's fucking dumb.
Separate vent system.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #22046

Incomptinence wrote:
paprika wrote:monkeys being able to use guns means traitor geneticists will go monkey and ventcrawl to armory like they used to, that's fucking dumb.
Separate vent system.
Even then it does what? Subverts the fortress of flashers and barriers that metasec sets up at roundstart?
EmptyK01

Post by EmptyK01 » #22082

It means you cannot crawl into it from, say, art storage. Second, those flashers aren't meta.
OOC: EnterDOT: I want the US to have a president that for once isn't like Hitler
OOC: EnterDOT: I mean Hillary Clinton

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #22086

EmptyK01 wrote:It means you cannot crawl into it from, say, art storage. Second, those flashers aren't meta.
Setting up a veritable fortress at roundstart with no more clear threat than the console printout (and usually even before the printout) is pretty damn meta.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22107

It's just stupid, those flashers are incredibly annoying and provide very little help. I always get rid of them as HoS if warden starts placing them.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #22117

Barricades are fine in blocking off the Maint entrances to deter Assistants hacking in, but aside from that Barricades and Flashers are limited in usage.

High Threat antags like Nuke Ops, Traitors and Wizards aren't really effected by mobile Flashers and Barricades. Low Threat antags such as Revs or Cultists are affected by these defences and that is what they are meant for.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22119

Steelpoint wrote:Barricades are fine in blocking off the Maint entrances to deter Assistants hacking in
It's much easier to place false walls from courtroom anyway.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #22139

Some minor suggestions on buffing the game mode or expanding it.

- Disable Internals: To an extent anyway, doing this would mean the crew can't resort easily to gassing the station. Maybe all Gas Masks stop functioning once patient zero turns into a monkey.

- Force Shuttle Call: Approximately 3-5 minutes after patient zero (the first infected human) turns into a monkey, the emergency evacuation shuttle is automatically called. Arriving in about 10 to 20 minutes.

- Bio Suit Protection: Only a Bio Suit should protect someone from being bitten from a Monkey.

- Monkey Hive Mind: Fluff it up however is needed, allowing the Monkeys to better communicate will help them level the odds.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #22153

Steelpoint wrote:Some minor suggestions on buffing the game mode or expanding it.

- Disable Internals: To an extent anyway, doing this would mean the crew can't resort easily to gassing the station. Maybe all Gas Masks stop functioning once patient zero turns into a monkey.
No IC reason. Meta. Creates more problems than fixes.
Steelpoint wrote:- Force Shuttle Call: Approximately 3-5 minutes after patient zero (the first infected human) turns into a monkey, the emergency evacuation shuttle is automatically called. Arriving in about 10 to 20 minutes.
Meta.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #22155

Kelenius wrote:-Buzzwords-
How about you offer alternatives, instead of buzzwords?
私は完璧
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22174

The internals thing makes no sense, really. Like if you're setting up containment and suddenly your internals don't work? Wat?

Instead of forcing shuttle call just let monkeys use computers.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #22188

Monkeys can use gas masks too you know.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #22194

Kelenius wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Some minor suggestions on buffing the game mode or expanding it.

No IC reason. Meta. Creates more problems than fixes.
I don't really see there being a good reason for this either. On one hand it would "fix" the crew not being able to gas flood, but then any sort of station damage that comes from things breaking, exploding, etc would go to hell because nobody has access to even basic internals. A round a while back where some monkeys actually bombed the station comes to mind.
Kelenius wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:- Force Shuttle Call: Approximately 3-5 minutes after patient zero (the first infected human) turns into a monkey, the emergency evacuation shuttle is automatically called. Arriving in about 10 to 20 minutes.
Meta.
This complaint is going to need some explaining though. As it exists now, there's no way for the monkeys to call the shuttle, the shuttle won't call itself and the crew won't call the shuttle until all the monkeys are dead
MisterPerson wrote:Monkeys can use gas masks too you know.
The problem ends up that the only useful means of attack for a monkey in this mode is to bite people. Which they cannot do if they're wearing a mask.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #22207

Well its either that or give Monekys the ability to carry Oxygen Tanks in their pockets.

The other suggestions stand, meta is a shit excuse to refuse them as by the time they take effect it should be obvious what the threat is.
N.A.N.B.

Post by N.A.N.B. » #22525

If this method is implemented, why not have scientist monkeys gain the ability to try to write the works of Shakespeare? It'd be a low chance, and maybe it can replace computer interaction. More sci monkeys means a greater chance of writing it, and ending the round. As for how this causes the end of the round, I'm not sure. Maybe NT realizes how useful monkeys are, and declared them to be better than the human crew?
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #22570

N.A.N.B. wrote:If this method is implemented, why not have scientist monkeys gain the ability to try to write the works of Shakespeare? It'd be a low chance, and maybe it can replace computer interaction. More sci monkeys means a greater chance of writing it, and ending the round. As for how this causes the end of the round, I'm not sure. Maybe NT realizes how useful monkeys are, and declared them to be better than the human crew?
I'm not going to lie, this is fucking brilliant. It's funny,it's practical, and it could actually work, please make this the window objective.