Make megafauna spawns have a minimum distance

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Make megafauna spawns have a minimum distance

Post by Grazyn » #275924

Bottom post of the previous page:

Once again, miners don't spawn in mining EVA. Beasts don't spawnkill them. And all their gear except the suits (which, again, aren't needed for mining) is on the station. If you're so worried about dying to "unfair" things, you can also get yourself backed up at cloning before going to the outpost. You do that at roundstart, there's a fair chance someone will clone you if you scream "MEGAFAUNA ON MINING" if you happen to find a drake waiting outside the outpost. Chasms are also hard-countered by (auto)cloning, and jaunters
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275932

Grazyn wrote:Once again, miners don't spawn in mining EVA. Beasts don't spawnkill them. And all their gear except the suits (which, again, aren't needed for mining) is on the station. If you're so worried about dying to "unfair" things, you can also get yourself backed up at cloning before going to the outpost. You do that at roundstart, there's a fair chance someone will clone you if you scream "MEGAFAUNA ON MINING" if you happen to find a drake waiting outside the outpost. Chasms are also hard-countered by (auto)cloning, and jaunters
But if there's megafauna right outside the base when you take the shuttle, even if you escape back to the station alive, doesn't that essentially negate your job for the entire round
Limey wrote:its too late.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #275945

Qbopper wrote:
Grazyn wrote:Once again, miners don't spawn in mining EVA. Beasts don't spawnkill them. And all their gear except the suits (which, again, aren't needed for mining) is on the station. If you're so worried about dying to "unfair" things, you can also get yourself backed up at cloning before going to the outpost. You do that at roundstart, there's a fair chance someone will clone you if you scream "MEGAFAUNA ON MINING" if you happen to find a drake waiting outside the outpost. Chasms are also hard-countered by (auto)cloning, and jaunters
But if there's megafauna right outside the base when you take the shuttle, even if you escape back to the station alive, doesn't that essentially negate your job for the entire round
aaaargh how many times do I have to say this
>optional: if megafauna is a dragon, ask if there is an experienced dragon slayer willing to help (there usually is at least one)
>ask sec to let you back to mining via gulag
>dig a tunnel and go far enough from the gulag to leave the ore scarcity zone
>drop the aux base beacon and shuttle beacon
>drop the aux base
>optional: mine enough ore to buy your explorer suit back from cargo
>restart mining operations
but this apparently falls under "git gud" and we shouldn't expect miners to do that. It also doesn't count as interesting gameplay or small deviation from the usual slog, when your workplace is compromised you should just throw your hands in the air and log off, ignoring every tool the game offers you.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275951

I wasn't aware you could dig tunnels, my bad
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #276019

I heard

>delay your round by 10 minutes and start underequipped because rng rolled bad, unless it's actually canceled because you didn't dodge the megafauna fast enough, got killed and made unclonable.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #276063

I mean really it only needs to be a buffer of like 10 tiles or something. If we do go buffer.

But frankly there are very easy ways to avoid megafauna including the gps.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276065

Bombadil wrote:I mean really it only needs to be a buffer of like 10 tiles or something. If we do go buffer.

You've missed the conversation if you think the gps cures a problem that prevents access to mining EVA.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276069

cedarbridge wrote:
Bombadil wrote:I mean really it only needs to be a buffer of like 10 tiles or something. If we do go buffer.

You've missed the conversation if you think the gps cures a problem that prevents access to mining EVA.
Just lure the fauna to the shuttle so the crew can kill it for you

admin approved or your money back
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #276096

XDTM wrote:I heard

>delay your round by 10 minutes and start underequipped because rng rolled bad, unless it's actually canceled because you didn't dodge the megafauna fast enough, got killed and made unclonable.
RNG can fuck up every other job in a hundreds ways and you complain because it can also affect what is probably the hardest job in the game? Paranoid miners can use a GPS even before going to the outpost to check if a beast is there (and use the gulag route if there is one), they can get backed up in cloning, they can use jaunters to negate chasms etc. but guess what, you hardly see them doing that, either because A) they don't care about dangers or B) it's easier to complain on the forums with the hope that a friendly coder will QoL it all away
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276101

Grazyn wrote:

RNG can fuck up every other job in a hundreds ways and you complain because it can also affect what is probably the hardest job in the game? Paranoid miners can use a GPS even before going to the outpost to check if a beast is there (and use the gulag route if there is one), they can get backed up in cloning, they can use jaunters to negate chasms etc. but guess what, you hardly see them doing that, either because A) they don't care about dangers or B) it's easier to complain on the forums with the hope that a friendly coder will QoL it all away
No job on the station requires substantial workarounds due to roundstart RNG. Name one.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #276109

I'm confident that the odds of the mining outpost being rendered completely unoperable (so not just megafauna camping the exit, since you can just go through the south side) are substantially lower than the odds of your workplace being fucked up by random events. E.g. carp migration right after roundstart, I had just started xenobio, carps break the windows, the time it took me to get someone with a vac suit to seal the breach and restore atmos was more than enough for a miner to do the whole gulag/aux base workaround (which really takes 5 minutes tops, you just need sec to let you to the gulag). The odds are just too low to be compared to all the other ways RNG can fuck you over, you will have died 10 times to a traitor spawning in your same department and killing you at roundstart before you die to a megafauna spawning on top of the outpost.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #276161

Gulag is separated from main lavaland by a lava river with no bridges exactly to prevent prisoners from just crossing over. And the solution to carps is far faster, which is placing a wall with the metal in a lab nearby before the carp even breaks the window. Or just don't aggro it, i've had that happen multiple times and i could always get it stuck onto a wall.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #276397

I don't understand why somebody is fighting something like this tooth and nail when it just fixes something that's most likely unintended

Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276456

Togopal wrote:I don't understand why somebody is fighting something like this tooth and nail when it just fixes something that's most likely unintended
I'm not married to the idea but I agree, I didn't think this would be this controversial
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #276464

90% off the time megafauna are spawened off in the corners of the map this happens so fucking rarely. Also when i meant 10 tile spawn buffer i meant like from the base. Maybe put up energy barriers powered by the mining base that keep mobs out. Energy fence or whatever
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #276846

ITT: People hating a simple change to prevent megafauna from spawning inside of the mining base at round start because ????

Like seriously, why?
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276857

Doctor Pork wrote:ITT: People hating a simple change to prevent megafauna from spawning inside of the mining base at round start because ????

Like seriously, why?
change = hugbox
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #276861

Doctor Pork wrote:because ????
I can understand disagreeing with peoples viewpoints but pretending they never expressed them is a waste of time for everyone involved. If you don't want to engage in conversation please refrain from posting.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #277001

Doctor Pork wrote:ITT: People hating a simple change to prevent megafauna from spawning inside of the mining base at round start because ????

Like seriously, why?

It never spawns inside of the mining base ever

are you stupid or just merely pretending
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #277174

D&B wrote:

Like seriously, why?

It never spawns inside of the mining base ever

are you stupid or just merely pretending
(you)
Kor wrote:
Doctor Pork wrote:because ????
I can understand disagreeing with peoples viewpoints but pretending they never expressed them is a waste of time for everyone involved. If you don't want to engage in conversation please refrain from posting.
I can understand not liking change because its your super duper special git gud survival zone but pretending it's perfect is a waste of time for everyone involved. If you don't want to engage in objective conversation please refrain from posting.

Alright, I shall accept you invite to leave however and will not be checking back into this thread. Goodbye.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #277176

Kor wrote:So yes, each particular request is reasonable, because there are legitimately annoying aspects about each one
Doctor Pork wrote:but pretending it's perfect is a waste of time for everyone involved
What did he mean by this?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #277188

cedarbridge wrote:
Grazyn wrote:

No job on the station requires substantial workarounds due to roundstart RNG. Name one.
So the obvious choice is to give other jobs more RNG elements since Shaft Miner has consecutively been a filled job since lavaland was added.

It's like lack of RNG = meta strats = boredom....

hmm.......
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #277193

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Grazyn wrote:

So the obvious choice is to give other jobs more RNG elements since Shaft Miner has consecutively been a filled job since lavaland was added.

It's like lack of RNG = meta strats = boredom....

hmm.......
I don't know how you reached that conclusion unless you think that somehow a job crippling itself at roundstart due to happenstance is something you think should be expanded.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #277204

cedarbridge wrote: I don't know how you reached that conclusion unless you think that somehow a job crippling itself at roundstart due to happenstance is something you think should be expanded.
Job is popular so I can only assume the contents [even the ones we take for annoyances] are what make it so fun for many people.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #277289

Give every job a rare chance for their workplace to be fucked at round start too

Science starts pre-bombed, engineering starts flooded with plasma and on fire, sec has 10 hostile clown NPCs in the armory, etc
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #277297

Takeguru wrote:Give every job a rare chance for their workplace to be fucked at round start too

Science starts pre-bombed, engineering starts flooded with plasma and on fire, sec has 10 hostile clown NPCs in the armory, etc
Clearly this is the solution to the problem, how could I have been so blind

You are a genius

Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #277578

When roid mining was a thing their was a safe zone.

this was removed when lavaland came because it really want justified based of the threat of the 3 dangerous mobs and made some code harder to implement.

Then mega-fauna got added and suddenly people who want to avoid monster hunter shitty 2d edition are ridiculed.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #277871

Yeah, mining is liked because of the thrill of maybe starting 5-10 minutes later, not because of the loot and cool ruins.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #277922

Supermichael777 wrote:When roid mining was a thing their was a safe zone.

this was removed when lavaland came because it really want justified based of the threat of the 3 dangerous mobs and made some code harder to implement.

Then mega-fauna got added and suddenly people who want to avoid monster hunter shitty 2d edition are ridiculed.
Man I still just want a secondary mining z-level which has hardly any monsters, no ash storms, and way less ores. Bring back peaceful relaxing mining 2557
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #277924

I am going to kick this rad place to be right into the sun tbqh
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #277931

Takeguru wrote:Give every job a rare chance for their workplace to be fucked at round start too

I know you're making fun of my point but the whole drive of Lavaland is D A N G E R and a complete 180 from the "hugbox" nature of on station, so it really isn't comparable.

Mining is no longer a quiet past time you do to play pseudosingleplayer, it's a unique and active experience each time that sometimes places you into situations you're uncomfortable with and can easily ruin your round from the get go. If people want to shill this idea that mining should have OOC guards, you're better off asking for a revert from lavaland instead of this slow degredation of lethality on a job people very much go on for the harsh nature of the job/location.
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #277976

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:

I know you're making fun of my point but the whole drive of Lavaland is D A N G E R and a complete 180 from the "hugbox" nature of on station, so it really isn't comparable.

Mining is no longer a quiet past time you do to play pseudosingleplayer, it's a unique and active experience each time that sometimes places you into situations you're uncomfortable with and can easily ruin your round from the get go. If people want to shill this idea that mining should have OOC guards, you're better off asking for a revert from lavaland instead of this slow degredation of lethality on a job people very much go on for the harsh nature of the job/location.

There is more to lavaland than megafauna hunting and sometimes you are unable to do your job because of unlucky RNG, I know I'm just parroting other people but lets get rid of supporting the normalization of "this could ruin your round at the start of the game and thats okay" because its not and some people want to play the game for more than 10 minutes. INB4 a lazy reply of "be something other than miner if you dont want to die" tell me A. How new players are supposed to learn the job and B. How miners are supposed to get minerals in general if there is a bubblegum drooling against the exterior airlock due to bad luck

Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #277996

Yeah I think you can separate "this job is dangerous and there is a good chance you will die" from instant death memes at the start of the round
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #278010

Also a good part of the miner popularity is the unique rewards, which range from self-antag to better-than-traitor-uplink gear. Sure, there's the bragging rights for megafauna killing, but i wouldn't keep the chance of megafauna at the front door only to please the 2-3 players who might manage to kill it, and those that somehow enjoy having to go through hoops to get a chance to start mining, with less gear.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka