Camera HUD for AI.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Saul_Myers
Byond Username: Saul_Myers

Camera HUD for AI.

Post by Saul_Myers » #284843

Merge camera modes for AI (sensor augmentation), to make it work like ghost's "toggle sec/med/diag HUD" button. Because sometimes I forget which door I shocked (and only diag mode HUD shows if door is shocked). I know, a real AI doesn't forget, AI knows which door it shocked but come on, I'm merely a human pretending to be AI. An AI would be able to see jobs with ID provided, health if sensors maxed and health and charge of its borgs no problem, all at the same time

Discuss, please.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Camera HUD for AI.

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #284847

This would be great but the anti-silicon brigade is going to burn this thread to the ground as soon as they find out about it. Sorry.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Saul_Myers

Post by Saul_Myers » #284848

Atlanta-Ned wrote:This would be great but the anti-silicon brigade is going to burn this thread to the ground as soon as they find out about it. Sorry.
Who's the anti-silicon brigade and why do they hate silicons?
Silicons are cute.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #284856

I'd do this but I know the anti silicon flamesquad will kill my PR and my family and friends.
Saul_Myers

Post by Saul_Myers » #284860

kevinz000 wrote:I'd do this but I know the anti silicon flamesquad will kill my PR and my family and friends.
Pls do it Kevinz, I'll protect you, I got a knife and know human anatomy. I'll unkill your family.
Please please please.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #284870

Really good idea that we need. This would also let an AI see that a door has been shocked by someone else so they can turn it off.
--Crocodillo

Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #284882

Remember to do the same for cyborgs.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #284937

The anti-siliconers are a group of players who hate AI's and borgs because they got dunked by them once and now want them removed from the game.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #284948

ShadowDimentio wrote:The anti-siliconers are a group of players who hate AI's and borgs because they got dunked by them once and now want them removed from the game.
Sad but true
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #284965

The only reason for this is "the AI is suppose to be omniscient" though.

The AI isn't a ghost, it's a player who often acts as a foil to antagonists in most cases.

If you forget which door you shock, simply go to Diag mode instead of medical mode or security mode.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #284977

I think the problem is that HUDs are supposed to be useful to AIs - but because you have to pick and choose, most AIs end up not using it at all, simply because it's too much of a bother. Medical sensors aren't any good on their own because half the crew doesn't have sensors on. Security sensors aren't any good, because you can't see mindshields or arrest status, and you rarely need to see the job icon. Diagnostics are rarely useful to start with.

With how minor the information given by the HUDs is, there's really not much reason not to combine it. That way, it could actually serve as an useful tool.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #285202

If you wanted to do this for silicons, it is rather simple to do. Use a for() loop to add all of the data huds in the list of HUDs (normal ones for borgs, nerfed Med/Sec for AI). You need only combine the vars in silicon.dm (med_hud, sec_hud, d_hud) and the nerfed version of the vars set in ai.dm to create that list.

For an example of how to do the all-huds-at-once proc, look here: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... er.dm#L672
This is the proc you need to replace: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... on.dm#L347

The reason I did not combine the HUDs when I coded the feature is simply because they were not compatible at the time. If anyone wants to take up coding this, as it is rather easy, let me know and I will assist you as best I can.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #285318

I don't see how having medical and security HUDs at the same time is somehow unreadable in any way? Ghosts and human players can handle it just fine.

Honestly, the only reason silicons didn't get the ability to use all HUDs at once was because they were not compatible at the time, and now that they are, we somehow got to the point where it's for some reason controversial to suggest that silicons should be able to use HUDs the same way ghosts, pAIs (!) or a CMO who got his hands on security HUD are.

It'd be pretty useful, but I think you're overestimating it nonetheless - it only makes the AI more aware and able to see more clearly, is it really such a grand feature to make it an R&D item? :?
Last edited by Slignerd on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #285322

CosmicScientist wrote: To be honest, from a game design perspective, you might not want to give access to all information. Usually this goes hand in hand with function in that too much info = unreadable game or aesthetically unpleasing (data representation usually being colour coding or drawing arrows everywhere, obscuring terrain, build or other info) but I'm not sure if that is a problem here (the UI is small enough) so to back up my anti-sillycone brigade banner's intentions, I'll use the game design concept of progression. If this gets in, perhaps it should be an R&D upgrade for the AI. This makes the players think they're improving the situation and lets arseholes make role playing decisions of not letting the AI get the upgrade. There's player interaction! Hey please give me the upgrade, okay I'll work on it, hey I've got it done, can you let me into your chamber to upgrade you, sure here you go, oh no you were a traitor, ha ha, you rotten bugger I'll get you next time.

But yeah, no seriously, if this gets in, make this an improvement that requires some player interaction. It could lead to !FUN! or just give players something to do and make them happy that they're being friendly to one another. It gives research another use (an appreciated use!) that isn't just shooty shooty bang bang guns that may never get used. It gives players an excuse to maybe interact (like how R&D has to go into departments to upgrade machines... since I think the sec cam console cheat doesn't exist anymore) whilst doing a gamified job and offers traitors an opportunity to do something and even the AI to be paranoid and not let them in without a guard or at all, you know, role play!
I suppose you are referring to converting the AI's HUDs to the full version everyone else has, and not merging them into one HUD? If that is the case, I support your idea here. Are you aware of the combat (malf) upgrade disk :disk: which spawns as loot from Ashwalker nests? If Ashwalkers spawn, then a miner finds and exterminates them, he may bring that disk back and give it to Science, who then offer it to the AI. I have had one such round where a miner brought me one as RD. I brought it up the AI's sat and asked to be let in. The AI refused and it went so far as to send a borg to kill and drag me into space. It turns out that the AI was already Traitor and thought I was there to kill it, so it killed me first.

Similar situations could be created with a Human Analysis Package software disk made in R&D for a modest R&D level requirement and a little silver/gold.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #285375

I disagree with you that merging HUDs would be an upgrade, I feel that should be simply coded in. Upgrading the AI's dataHUDs to the full version should be the upgrade. Keeping both the HUD selector and making it a multi-toggle upon upgrading would make the code messy.

The nerfed nature of the AI's default Med/Sec HUDs make their merging into one HUD along with Diag quite insignificant in terms of balance. Remember: AI MedHUDs only show for people with suit sensors set to 3(Health) or 4(Health + Location), and the SecHUD shows only the job, not criminal status or implants. I do not think it would hurt any human players very much at all.

Merging the AI's HUDs is easy to do, and making the upgrade disk switch the HUDs to the advanced version is easy as well. Requiring a disk to merge the HUDs would mean I have to keep the old code along with the new code for merging the HUDs. Not favorable.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #285396

Oh, in case it's not clear for everybody here.

What Gun Hog proposed so far is the following:
  • AI's HUDs are merged by default
  • R&D HUD upgrade allows the AI to use the full HUD that includes criminal status, implants and health no matter the sensors settings
What CosmicScientist proposed so far on the other hand is:
  • AI's HUDs are not merged by default
  • R&D HUD upgrade merges the HUDs
Personally I would support Gun Hog's idea - while I do like the HUD upgrade idea, I don't invest much hopes in it, as I feel it will be shot down by anti-silicon brigade and powercreep brigade combined. :? Still, I do think merged HUDs is a must and making it require an upgrade is unnecessary, both balance wise and code wise.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #285452

>tfw suggested Ai upgrades before and got told no
Saul_Myers

Post by Saul_Myers » #285548

Sligneris wrote:Oh, in case it's not clear for everybody here.

What Gun Hog proposed so far is the following:
  • AI's HUDs are merged by default
  • R&D HUD upgrade allows the AI to use the full HUD that includes criminal status, implants and health no matter the sensors settings
What CosmicScientist proposed so far on the other hand is:
  • AI's HUDs are not merged by default
  • R&D HUD upgrade merges the HUDs
Personally I would support Gun Hog's idea - while I do like the HUD upgrade idea, I don't invest much hopes in it, as I feel it will be shot down by anti-silicon brigade and powercreep brigade combined. :? Still, I do think merged HUDs is a must and making it require an upgrade is unnecessary, both balance wise and code wise.
I vote for Gun Hog's idea. I've seen plenty of shifts where R&D was unstaffed and miners had to break in. And miners didn't really care about anything, they just needed KA upgrades, plasma cutter and mining satchel of holding. It merges HUDs and leaves room for improvement. I like.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #286329

Of course you want the one that gives you the most power :^)

I'm under the impression that humans are not given omni scanners for a better reason other than no one has wanted to do it, so I'd prefer that if the AI got an omni one there's a glasses variant available as well.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #286337

But humans already get omni scanners + nightvision + X-ray? It's called getting X-ray eyes, medical HUD implant and nightvision security HUDs from RnD.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #286436

Sligneris wrote:But humans already get omni scanners + nightvision + X-ray? It's called getting X-ray eyes, medical HUD implant and nightvision security HUDs from RnD.
No diagnostics hud you LOSE
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #286484

Armhulen wrote:
Sligneris wrote:But humans already get omni scanners + nightvision + X-ray? It's called getting X-ray eyes, medical HUD implant and nightvision security HUDs from RnD.
Flightsuit helmet (Med/Sec/Diag HUD) or Prototype Hardsuit helmet (Diag HUD) + Med/Sec HUD implant with worn NV HUD counterpart combined with x-ray eyes/xray gene.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #286491

Gun Hog wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
Flightsuit helmet (Med/Sec/Diag HUD) or Prototype Hardsuit helmet (Diag HUD) + Med/Sec HUD implant with worn NV HUD counterpart combined with x-ray eyes/xray gene.
Well I can't argue with that