Anchor the nuke, and bring back telescience.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Anchor the nuke, and bring back telescience.

Post by christ110 » #286291

So, a few weeks ago, a person broke precedent 5 of rule 2.
The result, a few kneejerk PRs were made to remove telescience entirely. The eventual ruling was to have this rarely used item commented out, pending a goofballing by goofball.
There are a few issues with this.
1, this is coderbus enforcing the rules, which was already enforced by the admins with a ban.
2, telescience is rarely used, due to it being a non-roundstart machine.
3, we can fix this issue a different way.
I propose that to stop people from fucking over ops, we make the nuke anchored to the shuttle floor at round-start. For ops that don't want to make a return trip after having grabbed the disk, we have the station nuke given a round-start code, which the ops are made aware of. (It can be the same as the op nuke, or it could be different, as long as the ops know both.)
With the ops given 2 protections against fuckery, we can bring back telescience, sans goofballing.
if not enough people are using the device, we can have a built-in telescience calculator orderable from cargo, or we can make the console accept either xy-coords, or offsets if you want to do a little math.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Anchor the nuke, and bring back telescience.

Post by D&B » #286294

Tsci was trash.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
christ110

Post by christ110 » #286297

Not an argument.
Also, wrong opinion.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #286299

very very very few people will want telescience back, don't dismiss people with "your opinion is wrong" (though D&B's post didn't exactly contribute much)
Limey wrote:its too late.
D&B

Post by D&B » #286305

It was impossible to balance because it was basically a free get out of jail card that had zero effort besides getting the materials (which if you're science is zero effort because minerals will get brought by miners.)

It was not counterable unless you knew in advance TSCI was being built and even then you could not bust it down without good cause. It required no effort in game to seek or look at locations because there were third party calculators for it.

It was garbage, it still is garbage, and unless it gets reworked, it won't stop being garbage
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #286311

>Zero counters

Move, either yourself or whatever they're targeting. Congratulations, you've defeated telesci.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
christ110

Post by christ110 » #286318

I see the issue here.
You do not know what goofball plans to do to telescience.
"here's what I'm going to do

telesci can only transport people
telesci can only teleport to space ruin z-levels
space ruins get random "faint signal" style markers for use with telesci to flag down ruins
ruin budget increased
science gets buildable fulton setups for use to pull loot and stuff back to the station"
Quote directly from the GitHub.
This makes telescience ambulances impossible. (Which I made)
Balance did exist, which is why this situation of someone telescience-ing the nuke took over a few years since it's introduction to occur. You have to do rnd (which happens only in 40% of rounds) you also have to have miners bring back materials or get someone to do xenobio (mining has an 60% chance to get materials, xenobio has a 30% chance to get you the required slimes)
And then you needed someone who actually knew how to do telescience properly, and also knew how to build a machine/console.
And, because using the calculator takes time and then there's the delay of the telepad itself, anyone who keeps themselves mobile can avoid fuckery.
Besides, if it gets goofballed, then we have it for a month or two before it goes the way of the gateway.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #286384

I want telescience, too.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286492

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Zero counters

Move, either yourself or whatever they're targeting. Congratulations, you've defeated telesci.
This. The secret to countering telesci was to move yourself or anything else exactly 1 tile in any direction. The AI never had an excuse because telesci is still a machine that requires a console and pad with power. Press one magic malf button to defeat telesci forever.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #286495

Telesci doesn't need exact coordinates to drop a proxy-bomb in your general location.

Pretty bad gameplay if the one main counter to people using it to kill/steal shit is "move all of the important shit 1-2 tiles in a random directly at round-start to counter tele-theft."
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #286497

[youtube]FE6RuZuvjMs[/youtube]
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #286504

MMMiracles wrote:Telesci doesn't need exact coordinates to drop a proxy-bomb in your general location.

Pretty bad gameplay if the one main counter to people using it to kill/steal shit is "move all of the important shit 1-2 tiles in a random directly at round-start to counter tele-theft."
Also there's the armory where IIRC people have been bwoinked for hiding/locking up the guns round start.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #286505

Let's see them space ruins.

Also, fultons in space?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286507

Jacough wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:Telesci doesn't need exact coordinates to drop a proxy-bomb in your general location.

Also there's the armory where IIRC people have been bwoinked for hiding/locking up the guns round start.
You can't reach the boxstation armory with telesci without super capacitors.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #286525

D&B wrote:Tsci was trash.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #286529

cedarbridge wrote:
Jacough wrote:

You can't reach the boxstation armory with telesci without super capacitors.
Fair enough considering the research requirements I suppose. The idea Goof is taking that Christ cited sounds a lot better than just bringing Telesci back as is though.
christ110 wrote:I see the issue here.
You do not know what goofball plans to do to telescience.
"here's what I'm going to do

telesci can only transport people
telesci can only teleport to space ruin z-levels
space ruins get random "faint signal" style markers for use with telesci to flag down ruins
ruin budget increased
science gets buildable fulton setups for use to pull loot and stuff back to the station"
Quote directly from the GitHub.
Sounds like it'd give the space ruins some more love. Be good if it could teleport people from lavalands though as a means of quickly extracting wounded or dead miners. Something that could be added to go along with it could be a distress beacon for miners that they could buy with points. Simply slap it on a dead or dying miner (alternatively yourself if you've got time to do so before you bite the dust) and it'd send a message to science with the miner's coordinates so they could be teleported up and quickly dragged to cloning or medical
christ110

Post by christ110 » #286538

to give space ruins some love, you don't have to nerf telescience to being unusable on the station. again, it still have purposes, like fighting against malf AIs, and whatnot.
giving science fulton beacons, and maybe even a reason to go to space ruins, like for the advancement of xenobio/rnd, is a fantastic idea. i just want it to be able to act like it used to. i like my telescience ambulance, its fun.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #286544

It might work if it only works on people. That way even if you say, teleport into the armory to loot all the guns or the captain's office to steal his antique laser you still need a plan and appropriate gear to bust your way out instead of just being able to directly teleport everything to you. We might need some sort of jamming devices or something like that for say, the AI core. Otherwise people might just use it to teleport right next to the AI and kill it before its turrets can even activate.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #286563

>when you have to agree with Repukan

why did you do that OP
christ110

Post by christ110 » #286565

its easy to make you agree with a horrible person, when you are also horrible, and have poor opinions.
although, making it only teleport people and mechs (mechs should be able to be teleported) is an acceptable compromise.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #286574

Eh, if nothing else I still really like the concept of using it to explore deep space ruins. Last time I played it seemed like lavalands was getting all the love when it came to exploration. Putting some more emphasis on exploring space ruins could be nice. Hell, it'd definitely be something I'd be interested in doing on the side as a miner if I manage to get my hands on a hardsuit or space suit or some shit. Be like Captain Kirk getting beamed down by Scotty or some shit
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #286577

christ110 wrote:its easy to make you agree with a horrible person, when you are also horrible, and have poor opinions.
although, making it only teleport people and mechs (mechs should be able to be teleported) is an acceptable compromise.
well now I"m gonna grudge you and my opinions hold more weight than yours. should have kept your tongue in your mouth
D&B

Post by D&B » #286583

oranges wrote:>when you have to agree with Repukan

why did you do that OP
<3
Spoiler:
fuck you
christ110

Post by christ110 » #286599

oranges wrote:
christ110 wrote:its easy to make you agree with a horrible person, when you are also horrible, and have poor opinions.
well now I"m gonna grudge you and my opinions hold more weight than yours. should have kept your tongue in your mouth
In case you didn't notice, me saying poor, or wrong opinion is a joke. Mainly because having an opinion be wrong, is by definition impossible. My apologies if it wasn't clear enough.
Regardless, can we get less coderbus trying to adminbus? This was a player issue, not a code issue, and could be solved in ways that didn't involve removing something from our already painfully shallow codebase. Besides, if it gets limited to ruins, then it's just going to be away missions 2.0
D&B

Post by D&B » #286600

Yeah and then you get bwoinked.

It's like saying "AI plasmaflood is counterable" but putting the counter in place gets you in shit.
Spoiler:
fuck you
christ110

Post by christ110 » #286612

D&B wrote:

It's like saying "AI plasmaflood is counterable" but putting the counter in place gets you in shit.
Apply the ai logic to telescience. If you're the warden, use the damn sec console for once, and check science, or walk over there, or listen to the radio about it. If you see a telepad, then go nuts, otherwise, your character has no reason to think it exists...
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #286618

christ110 wrote:
D&B wrote:

Apply the ai logic to telescience. If you're the warden, use the damn sec console for once, and check science, or walk over there, or listen to the radio about it. If you see a telepad, then go nuts, otherwise, your character has no reason to think it exists...
Unless you arrest then for building the teleporter itself which I'm pretty sure would be kind of a no no, you're probably not gonna know they're using it for no good until after they've started stealing shit with it or teleported a max cap bomb into the brig and by the time you get down there you're up against one or more assholes armed with every gun in the armory and probably an ablative vest to top it off.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286729

Jacough wrote:
christ110 wrote:
D&B wrote:

Unless you arrest then for building the teleporter itself which I'm pretty sure would be kind of a no no, you're probably not gonna know they're using it for no good until after they've started stealing shit with it or teleported a max cap bomb into the brig and by the time you get down there you're up against one or more assholes armed with every gun in the armory and probably an ablative vest to top it off.
>bad things happen when sec entirely ignores one of the most destructive departments on the station
No kidding?
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #286736

I loved telescience but ultimately it was just free loot, and was detrimental.
I play Boris Pepper.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286738

Bluespace wrote:I loved telescience but ultimately it was just free loot, and was detrimental.
That was before space ruins randomization
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #286740

I like telescience and agree with cedarbridge that there were plenty of counters, people just forgot to use them. But goof's idea seems ok
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #286760

D&B wrote:

Moving down a hall isn't going to get you banned and is a 100% counter to telesci. Regardless, telesci virtually never comes up in play as it takes like 30 minutes of work to set up.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286781

ShadowDimentio wrote:
D&B wrote:

Moving down a hall isn't going to get you banned and is a 100% counter to telesci. Regardless, telesci virtually never comes up in play as it takes like 30 minutes of work to set up.
I was going to ask about that too. Name a time an admin has banned you for moving to avoid telesci.
D&B

Post by D&B » #286801

I figured it would get the same treatment it gets on other servers where you're not allowed to move armory or others unless you have exact evidence​ of wrongdoing.

And exactly how do you counter a maxcap being teleported near your location?
Spoiler:
fuck you
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286816

D&B wrote:I figured it would get the same treatment it gets on other servers where you're not allowed to move armory or others unless you have exact evidence​ of wrongdoing.

By posting an officer in the science guard post and doing what sec is supposed to do. Protect the different departments of the station. I mean, I know where you're going with this, but answer your own base assumptions. How do you counter a maxcap being put into a backpack and run to middle of medbay?
christ110

Post by christ110 » #286829

D&B wrote:I figured it would get the same treatment it gets on other servers where you're not allowed to move armory or others unless you have exact evidence​ of wrongdoing.

the thing, is that /tg/ isn't other servers, we for some asinine reason enable the autism of validhunting. but exact evidence of wrongdoing isn't required for you to take preventative measures.
If you see a blue apc, that could be an ai hack, or an emag. regardless of wether or not it is the ai, doesn't matter, you now have an excuse to go to atmo and add hand-valves to the pipes.
Same thing applies to telescience, or toxins, or genetics, or viro. If you're the warden/hos/captain, use the camera console, ask your officers, listen to the comms. If you see anything amiss, you now have an excuse to go put the armory in a locker, and drag it into the permabrig... or some random room in maint. It requires being proactive, a little. Although i would argue thats within the confines of your job description, as sec officer/warden/hos/captain/AI.
To counter a maxcap being teleported to your location is simple, be proactive, or run. Its almost like an indirect version of our combat system "'how do you counter a stun from an e-bow being shot at you?' 'you prevent the guy from getting the e-bow, you keep away from him, you get a CNS rebooter from sci, you... etc'"
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #286905

I once sealed myself in telescience and teleported maxcaps around the station.
By the time anyone broke in, the station was a mess.
I play Boris Pepper.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #286907

The fact that it relied entirely on 3rd party maps and calculators was just horrible design.

The game should be played inside the game itself.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #286910

CPTANT wrote:The fact that it relied entirely on 3rd party maps and calculators was just horrible design.

Don't act like this was unique. Chemistry is still 99% checking a wiki
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #286935

PKPenguin321 wrote:
CPTANT wrote:The fact that it relied entirely on 3rd party maps and calculators was just horrible design.

Don't act like this was unique. Chemistry is still 99% checking a wiki

True to a certain extent, but I do feel there are differences. The more you do chemistry the more you learn those recipes and you require the wiki less and less. You never have that with telescience (unless you are some math savant). The wiki is also available in game.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #286938

Make it place short-lived (or toggled on-off) two-way portals instead of just "send/grab the thing" and at least you'll have to physically go to a location to steal shit there, and if the owner of the shit objects they can chase you back through it and kick your ass right there in the telesci lab
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #286946

Easy fix.
Use the same code Kor did for the asteroid shuttle to offset itself from a specific position to a radius around that for each of the nuke op shuttle locations. So it's never the same.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #286947

so you're saying telesci is supposed to be imprecise?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287008

Alipheese wrote:Easy fix.
Use the same code Kor did for the asteroid shuttle to offset itself from a specific position to a radius around that for each of the nuke op shuttle locations. So it's never the same.
Then it would make its more fun uses (snagging dead people by their suit sensor coords) literally impossible.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #287119

christ110 wrote: 1, this is coderbus enforcing the rules, which was already enforced by the admins with a ban.
For the record, this isn't true. The entire reason telesci isn't around roundstart anymore is precisely because admins were complaining nonstop about issues stemming from it. And not all the complaints were about things that lead to bans. There were discussions precisely about moving everything in the armory into a locker at roundstart, for example.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #287137

cedarbridge wrote:
Alipheese wrote:Easy fix.
Then it would make its more fun uses (snagging dead people by their suit sensor coords) literally impossible.
Not offset telesci. Offset the shuttle for the nuke ops. So lie one time it's 7 tiles to the left and 3 down. Then another time it's 3 tiles right and 2 up.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.