Non-Combat Changelings

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Wulfe_L
Byond Username: Wulfe_L

Non-Combat Changelings

Post by Wulfe_L » #290006

Changelings almost never actually change. The majority of lings I've observed rely simply on dragging victims into maint and choking them to death. Despite theoretically being an unknown alien species that steals the form of its victims, in practice lings have become Alex Mercer from Prototype, instead of the Thing or body snatchers by which they were inspired.

A simple proposal: A version of the ling with it's offensive arsenal cut down substantially, and whose absorption automatically transforms them into the victim. (What, exactly, should be removed or altered to create the correct effect is something to be discussed. For instance, one possible change could be objectives with more focus on stealing identities instead of merely acquiring DANA via absorption, perhaps.)

This would force them to play the role of the recently deceased, which would hopefully lead to a more subtle and cautious antagonist. A ling might kill and replace someone in order to gain access to their true target's workplace, or a crew member might notice that their co-workers keep vanishing, and the ones who do come back aren't acting quite like themselves...

Basically, I just think it could be interesting to have an antag role with a focus on stealth and, to some extent, talking and acting. Who knows? It might also encourage people to speak to the people around them more, to make it harder for a long to impersonate them successfully. I don't propose this as a replacement for the current ling, just as an alternative that might the worth testing out.

Your thoughts?
Sybil - Jaden Grey/Alice Green
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Re: Non-Combat Changelings

Post by DrPillzRedux » #290009

Boring.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #290013

Could make this even more paranoia based by allowing any ling power to be applied to a random person as a sting, so you can shift the blame onto someone else because they suddenly and unwillingly ling revive.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #290038

Lings that don't transform often are missing out. Being a The Thing type ling is completely viable and actually one of my favorite roles in the entire game. Flesh Disguises on transform is great.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #290049

PKPenguin321 wrote:Lings that don't transform often are missing out. Being a The Thing type ling is completely viable and actually one of my favorite roles in the entire game. Flesh Disguises on transform is great.
The best about flesh disguise was when people tried to debrain you(when ling died with debraining), and couldn't because of flesh helmet/head gear.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #290058

>ling is supposed to be about taking other's identities and tricking security

>sec finds a ling, immediately dies to it's 5 combat abilities
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000