Pregame lobby room

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

Pregame lobby room

Post by Smoopadoop » #290986

It's a room full of games and things. You can play here instead of playing the round, you can go here after you die, and the shuttle docks here too.

Things:
In the character menu, you can now choose a 'casual' outfit. This is comprised of things you can find in the clothing vendor, and other cool stuff to wear. You enter the lobby room wearing this outfit.

All people in the lobby room wear a pair of gloves which have multiple modes, which you can switch with alt-click.
  • Spar mode: Works as boxing gloves. This is the only mode you can hurt people with in the lobby room.
  • Throw mode: Catch everything thrown at you. Permanently on throw mode, to make games like basketball easier.
  • PDA mode: Does PDA things. Can also take photos! Photos are saved cross-round for you to show your friends or whatever.
  • Normal mode: Boring
The lobby room is fitted entertaining shit like:
Several restaurants, each serving different kinds of food. Use our state of the art holo-menus to order food, and watch our robotic chefs cook your dish from scratch!
A basketball court, to slam and jam your fellow crew members.
A dormitory area. Everyone gets their own dorm! If you don't play for 1 month (example timeframe), you give up your dorm for someone else. You can decorate your dorm with furniture, posters, etc. Your decorations stay cross-round!
A sparring ring, to beat the shit out of your mates. Fitted with a boxing bell so you can DING DING.
A thunderdome, for when fists aren't enough! Various simulated non-lethal weapons, laser guns, etc.
A club, so you can get fucking smashed with your fellow crew members.
Arcades n shit. Includes air hockey, rigged machines, and a prize store! Earn arcade points, buy cool shit!
A holodeck, to do things that I forgot to add to the list.
A big fucking 'ready up' button!

Essentially it's so that ghosts have something to do. Also good for teaching new players how to play, as the lobby carries no risk of death!
It also adds a bunch of persistent things which can give flavor to your character, if you like your characters with flavor.
pls no bully i like rp
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Pregame lobby room

Post by Remie Richards » #290989

Doable, but not easily at the moment.
The Lobby is where a lot of the game's loading is done, this new lobby would have to only be available once all loading had been done (otherwise things like atmos, lighting, etc. wouldn't work)
私は完璧
Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #290991

oh, that sounds p reasonable
didn't I hear there were 'fake' atmos tiles or something, like, some areas don't have atmos and you can just breathe? like centcom? or am I wrong?
and with lighting, if the players were ingame before it loaded, would they see nothing, or would they see everything?

but yeah that was the one thing I was thinking about that would get in the way while I was coming up with this
edit: also how long does it take to load everything
Mains:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #290992

funny thing is this used to exist
Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #290993

wait what when
tell me bout it
Mains:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #290995

It doesn't take too long, about 10-20 seconds on live.

Also yes there was a roundstart spawn room, there are still a few things in the code (commented out mostly) that say "No hitting people in spawn jackass!" (around weapon code and such)

eg:

Code: Select all

/mob/living/attack_paw(mob/living/carbon/monkey/M)
	if(isturf(loc) && istype(loc.loc, /area/start))
		to_chat(M, "No attacking people at spawn, you jackass.")
	return 0
This is one of two references remaining, both could still run (if the /area/start area was mapped in, and you were a monkey)
The other is the same but for Xenos attacking Xenos.
私は完璧
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #291016

IIRC /area/start is still used on the lobby screen
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #291027

Or you could, ya know, just wait? In a game that goes on for hours 1 minute of loading the map and waiting for the round to start hardly seems like a long time.

Also by giving deads and other people something to do you're both removing the threat of death and giving a reason to not take up ghost roles whilst also separating the players into separate areas, which will either be horrible to admin or will cut "live" players down.

We do also have plenty of things to be getting on with as deads, such as CTF (ask an admin if there are a lot dead), other ghost roles and gimmicks, or just watching the stupid madness unfold below as an obeserver.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #291044

Smoopadoop wrote:
The lobby room is fitted entertaining shit like:
Several restaurants, each serving different kinds of food. Use our state of the art holo-menus to order food, and watch our robotic chefs cook your dish from scratch!
A basketball court, to slam and jam your fellow crew members.
A dormitory area. Everyone gets their own dorm! If you don't play for 1 month (example timeframe), you give up your dorm for someone else. You can decorate your dorm with furniture, posters, etc. Your decorations stay cross-round!
A sparring ring, to beat the shit out of your mates. Fitted with a boxing bell so you can DING DING.
A thunderdome, for when fists aren't enough! Various simulated non-lethal weapons, laser guns, etc.
A club, so you can get fucking smashed with your fellow crew members.
Arcades n shit. Includes air hockey, rigged machines, and a prize store! Earn arcade points, buy cool shit!
A holodeck, to do things that I forgot to add to the list.
So it's basically a baystation extended round in a subsection of the server. Not the worst idea ever I guess. I think it would have to be 100% rules free. Someone will find a way to grief in it and the admins really don't need a separate station to have to babysit on each server.
--Crocodillo

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #291046

g h o s t b a r
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #291297

peoplearestrange wrote:you can wait
tru. guess this more for ghosts
peoplearestrange wrote:may cut down on active players
the lobby is meant to be nothing like playing the game. It's pretty much a RP room, you cant do anything in the lobby that you can do on the station. Its essentially playing club penguin. But if people end up liking it more than normal station then you'd be right but I'd also be very confused.
peoplearestrange wrote:just do ghost roles and ctf
Lobby is meant to integrate things like ctf, so you can just go to some deadfriends and say "wanna play ctf" and then walk over the arena instead of asking admans
I dont feel this would fuck with ghost roles. To me it's just another one. If you wanna play an ashwalker you can go do it but if you just wanna chill you can go lobby.
Mains:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #291812

just put a ghostrole spawner in a bar on central and let people arrpee there

Alternatively auto-thunderdome that spawns you into a gearing-up room with a teleporter.
the teleporters become active once both team spawns have been used.
One minute after both ghostrole spawners have been used, they become live again.
Teams gain points every 10 seconds for each living member of their team within the thunderdome area, which are reported at round-end.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #291837

Imagine.

Imagine if the CTF controller was on by default.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #292156

Screemonster wrote:just put a ghostrole spawner in a bar on central and let people arrpee there
I'd be up for seeing how this plays out, could be kinda neat.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #292993

peoplearestrange wrote:
Screemonster wrote:just put a ghostrole spawner in a bar on central and let people arrpee there
I'd be up for seeing how this plays out, could be kinda neat.
i'm 99% certain this was proposed and was met with an alright reception, but I also think that people didn't want it on centcomm for one reason or another
Limey wrote:its too late.