How do we make Librarian interesting?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

How do we make Librarian interesting?

Post by Lumbermancer » #22206

Someone on ooc said yesterday "delete library, it's useless" and "no one read books". This of course shouldn't ever be allowed, the legacy and server heritage contained within these books must be preserved.

Then I started to think of ways to make people pick Librarian again. It's true, no one read books, I don't think anyone writes them anymore either. So what's the other role of Librarian? News reporting of course. But Schlomo, I hear you say, no one reads Newscasters either! Why is that? Because there's usually gibberish, or low quality reports only. Why reports are of low quality? Because running around with camera is boring, and when I asked HoS for an interview he insulted my mother and threw me out of the brig!

So how do we make news reporting easier, faster and more fun?

What if in his little office space, Librarian had special intercom that would allow him to tap to and listen to any radio frequency? Similar to one AI has in core, or the one in DJ station? This would increase the accuracy of news, as well as make people more inclined to follow your feed! Civilian Librarian would be more fun, but It would also make Librarian traitor or changeling more viable. And on top of that librarian would become person of increased value during rev and cult, because of intel he could provide.

As an added bonus the printer could be moved inside the desk area, so AI can print out photos there.

I'm sure there are broader implications of this that I have not considered, for now it's the best Idea I can come up with.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
tunderchief

Re: How do we make Librarian interesting?

Post by tunderchief » #22226

Lumbermancer wrote:Someone on ooc said yesterday "delete library, it's useless" and "no one read books". This of course shouldn't ever be allowed, the legacy and server heritage contained within these books must be preserved.

Then I started to think of ways to make people pick Librarian again. It's true, no one read books, I don't think anyone writes them anymore either. So what's the other role of Librarian? News reporting of course. But Schlomo, I hear you say, no one reads Newscasters either! Why is that? Because there's usually gibberish, or low quality reports only. Why reports are of low quality? Because running around with camera is boring, and when I asked HoS for an interview he insulted my mother and threw me out of the brig!

So how do we make news reporting easier, faster and more fun?

What if in his little office space, Librarian had special intercom that would allow him to tap to and listen to any radio frequency? Similar to one AI has in core, or the one in DJ station? This would increase the accuracy of news, as well as make people more inclined to follow your feed! Civilian Librarian would be more fun, but It would also make Librarian traitor or changeling more viable. And on top of that librarian would become person of increased value during rev and cult, because of intel he could provide.

As an added bonus the printer could be moved inside the desk area, so AI can print out photos there.

I'm sure there are broader implications of this that I have not considered, for now it's the best Idea I can come up with.

It's game over, man.

The 90s kids who grew up on Cowadoody are shitting all over the origins of this game. The history is fading.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #22240

Make library public, remove librarian job.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #22257

/vg/ has a reporter job and it's considered pretty fun.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #22259

MisterPerson wrote:/vg/ has a reporter job and it's considered pretty fun.
I was just thinking something like this. Give Librarian a makeover. Access to his own news channel, special new articles, voice recording for interviews with the crew, maybe some kind of billboard/large TV in the main halls/bar area.

The station has a right to know the truth! kinda thing...
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22270

You cannot possibly give up on beautiful checkout functionality in library computer

Also, nothing stops you from becoming a reporter currently. People do that.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #22272

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:You cannot possibly give up on beautiful checkout functionality in library computer

Nothing stops anyone from roleplaying as a reporter. But i am talking about adding actual gameplay features that can help someone be a reporter, rather than just running around with a Universal Recorder, Camera and posting random stuff on the newscaster.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #22274

Alex Crimson wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:/vg/ has a reporter job and it's considered pretty fun.
I was just thinking something like this. Give Librarian a makeover. Access to his own news channel, special new articles, voice recording for interviews with the crew, maybe some kind of billboard/large TV in the main halls/bar area.

The station has a right to know the truth! kinda thing...
Librarian should have his own news office. Maybe have a talk show.
Rose-chan

Post by Rose-chan » #22275

Give the librarian the ability to decipher ancient texts found on the forbidden knowledge bookshelf using that creepy desk in the backroom. Make it a bit tedious but rewarding like with genetics, but the powers unlocked are different. Now here are some ridiculously bad ideas on what the librarian could bring to the station.

Cursed Text
Creates a normal looking book, but when someone tries to read it they turn into an artificer.

Book of Pyromancy
Creates a book that turns people into pyromancers when read, giving them immunity to fire damage and the ability to cast fireballs.

Create Spellbook
Creates a random spellbook

Summon Gemsuit
Summons a Gem-Encrusted Hardsuit. Now the entire crew can wear these and no one will be able to tell who the real wizard is.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22276

Alex Crimson wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:You cannot possibly give up on beautiful checkout functionality in library computer

Nothing stops anyone from roleplaying as a reporter. But i am talking about adding actual gameplay features that can help someone be a reporter, rather than just running around with a Universal Recorder, Camera and posting random stuff on the newscaster.
Well, what do you propose a reporter needs besides a recorder, a camera and a place to post news in? Provided paper and pens are everywhere as well as well as photocopiers.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #22277

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Well, what do you propose a reporter needs besides a recorder, a camera and a place to post news in? Provided paper and pens are everywhere as well as well as photocopiers.
Eh, that's more saying that all Security needs is a Stun Prod, Cable Cuff and somewhere to toss people to do Sec work.

Sure, it can work, but its not as efficient nor as smooth as it could be.

Having tools that help a reporter actually report news, as well as a good, more overt, way to broadcast said news, would only benefit them.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22291

Sure, but
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:what do you propose
I mean newscasters are pretty good, it's just nobody bothers to use them. Same problem with request consoles.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #22292

Here's an idea: Make the back of the library more of an office then a communal read area for your local book club. Add a couple of computers, photocopiers, maybe even suits from the IA and ties. Office Supply lockers. Making it the only public area for paperwork will add some interest to it.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #22293

Rose-chan wrote:Give the librarian the ability to decipher ancient texts found on the forbidden knowledge bookshelf using that creepy desk in the backroom. Make it a bit tedious but rewarding like with genetics, but the powers unlocked are different. Now here are some ridiculously bad ideas on what the librarian could bring to the station.

Cursed Text
Creates a normal looking book, but when someone tries to read it they turn into an artificer.

Book of Pyromancy
Creates a book that turns people into pyromancers when read, giving them immunity to fire damage and the ability to cast fireballs.

Create Spellbook
Creates a random spellbook

Summon Gemsuit
Summons a Gem-Encrusted Hardsuit. Now the entire crew can wear these and no one will be able to tell who the real wizard is.
You give a good idea but you are right when you say your examples are not good.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #22300

I like the intercom idea. Maybe shitcurity would actually start watching what they say for once.
Spoiler:
And then hilarity ensues when the HoS busts down the librarian's door for inciting rebellion
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #22303

Before we had all the department manuals i thought that it would make sense to locate them all in the library. But i suppose that nobody would go get them then.
One idea i had was to break down the entire cooking wiki into indepth cookbooks for the chef, things like "The fry cook compendium" , "Italian delicacies", "soup kitchen" that sort of things.

I like the idea of "bookworm magic" kind of occult researchs for the librarian, but i get the feeling that this would require cooperation of the chaplain, or create conflicts/overlaps with him? It might be worth looking into randomly generated "'ancient tomes" that act as a dynamic research system, clues buried into flair text basically, randomly assembled at round start.

- Library could be the only public source of paperwork material maybe? Remove those abundant pens and paper boxes from public places, each head get a pen and shall guard it with his life if he doesn't want to deal with the librarian :D
- How about adding a few extra copy machines in a backroom that can be wrenched by the librarian any way he like (if he want to install them for departments for example).

The main reason nobody use the newscaster, paperwork or the supply consoles is because of the global radio channel, why would you bother using a form when you can just ask shit over the radio?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22308

Request consoles ping everybody in the department, radio messages can often be missed. Newscaster is not about asking shit anyway. It's for the paper. With photos and shit.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #22333

One of the issues about request consoles is simply that it's not noticeable enough. If the sprite was a bit more noticeable or if it actually took up space and wasn't wall mounted maybe this wouldn't be an issue.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #22336

Request console seems fine to me. I use it and people notice.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #22344

Remove the Library, add the arcade, code in tickets, Librarian (or "Game Master") gives out prizes, add new toys.
I love the Library but nobody uses it. Just slap down games where the bookshelves are and add stools infront of them.
Make the backtable still there, but add balloons around it and a poster so it's now the pizza table. Clown serves pizza to the assistants.
Instead of a wood floor make it a dark carpet and all colorful.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22347

Reimoo wrote:One of the issues about request consoles is simply that it's not noticeable enough. If the sprite was a bit more noticeable or if it actually took up space and wasn't wall mounted maybe this wouldn't be an issue.
Use it on priority or whatever it's called. The console will ping with red and be very noticeable indeed. Or wirecutters the console to unlock EXTREME priority which will make the receiving console ping even more, with yellow and red.
Lovecraft wrote:Remove the Library, add the arcade, code in tickets, Librarian (or "Game Master") gives out prizes, add new toys.
I love the Library but nobody uses it. Just slap down games where the bookshelves are and add stools infront of them.
Make the backtable still there, but add balloons around it and a poster so it's now the pizza table. Clown serves pizza to the assistants.
Instead of a wood floor make it a dark carpet and all colorful.
We have two arcade games and a shitty slot machine, all are entirely RNG based and frustrating, except may be battle arcade which is fairly easy to beat, RNG just slows you down and makes you frustrated.

I don't believe that separate arcade room is needed.
LdShade
Byond Username: LdShade

Post by LdShade » #22727

Rose-chan wrote:that creepy desk in the backroom.
Make it do something fun.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #22962

All cool libraries have that one secret back room only accessible by removing a book or sliding a bookshelf aside and then you enter your secret cubbyhole hugbox. Maybe completely rwalled and small maybe 3x3.

Book Magic or PowerBooks

A Book Named Dagger
A book that requires much research to acquire. It is small and can fit in a pocket. Can hold a few items and deals between 10-25 damage (w/ chance of knockdown)when wielded.

The Shogun Book of Stealth
Will teach the Smoke spell to the reader. (Maybe allow the user to use the 'Hide' ability like mice and alien larvae?) takes moderate research to obtain

Cyberrealm Now
A book that releases an EMP wave when read. Reveals useful door wiring information. Takes moderate research.

The Time is Ticking
A book that requires little research. It is a one time use object as it is a weak explosive. Comes on a timer, but can be remote signalled.

Librarian should also have a Scanner the same way R&D has a deconstructor to analyze documents to get higher levels but in this case Bookworm points or Knowledge levels or something. I dunno just my ideas think I got carried away though.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #22963

The Secret Documents in the vault should give a shitload of points.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #22966

>adding more tedious, annoying and unfun research mechanics that can be used to unlock weapons

yeah no
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #22999

MedicInDisquise wrote:The Secret Documents in the vault should give a shitload of points.
Haha, I swear I thought exactly that! Yeah the top secret folder..

And Miauw we have to have something to make them work for it. By handing them things for no work encourages the instant gratification crowd. People will want the cool weapons and tools the librarian has and will want to be the librarian next time. I mean, it is just an idea, but that's the thing, it encourages hard work for good reward. Or they could do little research and get the little gadget books that aren't dangerous but have fun little tricks.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #23000

Miauw wrote:>adding more tedious, annoying and unfun research mechanics that can be used to unlock weapons

yeah no
Pretty much this. Let's not give the librarian weapons.

Maybe the librarian can have a perk or two when he is a cultist (extra knowledge?).
omnitricks

Post by omnitricks » #23005

I would like to see that pirate radio sounding thing that can tap into other channels although I'm pretty sure it can already be done with the green radios once you put in the correct frequency. Also maybe a camera thingy in library just like they have in sec as well (minus the "dangerous and controlled areas" like bridge and brig) unless its hacked with the assistance of science or something so that the librarian can take pics if needed?

Also considering no one actually uses the library because books seem useless, maybe allow certain books to provide circumstantial successes to certain things? Maybe like a book to improve the chances of ghetto surgery? Books that can clue in to the random wires in cameras, vending machines and doors? Coordinates of telescience? Stuff like that. Pretty sure some people can think of better things but you get the idea.
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #23021

Scott wrote:
Miauw wrote:>adding more tedious, annoying and unfun research mechanics that can be used to unlock weapons

yeah no

Maybe the librarian can have a perk or two when he is a cultist (extra knowledge?).
Every department has their speshul snoflek lethals or something dangerous. Death nettles , bombs, flashes, tasers, batons, chemicals, syringes etc. Librarian shouldn't be unwanted, it should be something sought after. And if they work hard or interact nicely enough with a character to obtain the documents for points they deserve the tools and gadgets they worked for.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #23024

Fragnostic wrote:
Scott wrote:

yeah no

Every department has their speshul snoflek lethals or something dangerous. Death nettles , bombs, flashes, tasers, batons, chemicals, syringes etc. Librarian shouldn't be unwanted, it should be something sought after. And if they work hard or interact nicely enough with a character to obtain the documents for points they deserve the tools and gadgets they worked for.
hey
hey
listen
GUNS SHOULD NOT BE THE GOAL THAT EVERY SPESSHMAN SHOULD STRIVE TO. NOT EVERY JOB NEEDS TO BE 3ROBUST ANTAG HUNTER XTREEM.
THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED A "SYNDICATE UPLINK" THAT GIVES GUNS TO PEOPLE THAT NEED IT.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #23043

Well what other incentives does a spaceman have other than to obtain shiny new toys to kill other spacemans with?
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #23093

You could probably create an interaction between library and R&D where R&D would have to cooperate with the library for some research material?
Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #23118

Miauw wrote: hey
hey
listen
GUNS SHOULD NOT BE THE GOAL THAT EVERY SPESSHMAN SHOULD STRIVE TO. NOT EVERY JOB NEEDS TO BE 3ROBUST ANTAG HUNTER XTREEM.
THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED A "SYNDICATE UPLINK" THAT GIVES GUNS TO PEOPLE THAT NEED IT.
B-b-but they're not guns. One is a random damage book that can hide stuff, considered a dagger. One is an EMP and door wiring knowledge. Another is for becoming a low calorie ninja. It's little shit like that that will make librarian fun and interesting. I know, they might just research and fuck off with their gadgets. But we all like carrying a piece. It's a patch and not a fix to the absence of a librarian at his post who isn't brain dead, but at least you can ask him for research and shit and find guides for making iEDS stubprods fake walls and other shit people don't normally know to do.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #23138

Why did people emphasize "weapon" side of the argument instead of "tedious, annoying and unfun"?
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #23165

I once, as a librarian, wrote a book describing a conspiracy theory on Nanotrasen's true goals. I started distributing it and It ended up as a giant riot, with the crew overthrowing Security and taking over the Bridge. The dust eventually settled, security and the Heads played along and arrested many people for rioting, but also me for "My own safety" and because "I knew so much that a nanotrasen death squad can be sent just to kill me."
The librarian job doesn't need ability to print tomes or special weapons to be interesting. It needs people with ideas.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."