A Baystyle Map.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

A Baystyle Map.

Post by Durkel » #292446

If you're unaware bay recently switched maps to a starship type map with multiple z-levels.

https://wiki.baystation12.net/SEV_Torch

It's a interesting style that they've choose to gone in and I'm curious to see if there would be any support in potentially moving towards something like it as well?

We could revamp some of our current mechanics to even fit a ship style game play. Having the round only end after X amounts of planets have been visited ,or ship reaches a certain integrity failure point. Even greentext seekers could be sated by having them just take a pod off to end their round or something.

How do you guys feel about this type of direction?
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: A Baystyle Map.

Post by D&B » #292447

You'll have to rework entire gamemodes around being based on the ship too.

If that's done before the ship migration that'll be grand.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #292450

Multi z level maps are great. Go for it if you think you can make players accept that.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #292455

I've wanted to do this for a while and people always seem excited when I mention FTL13 but not excited enough to actually help code or map it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #292465

I can do 'high quality mapping', but how does a multi z-level map function in term of power/disposals/etc?
Tokiko2

Post by Tokiko2 » #292468

lumipharon wrote:I can do 'high quality mapping', but how does a multi z-level map function in term of power/disposals/etc?
You'll have to write new things to handle those.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #292490

Bug Remie for the multi z level code. He done did all the work already.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #292491

(she)
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #292515

The mapping isn't as much as a issue as the code problems.

We'd have to tackle

Power net z-levels.
Atmos z-levels.
Explosion z-levels.
Better transitions between zlevels..
And finally getting the ship to "move".

That's not even including the problems we'd have to address such as a arrival shuttle not making much sense, mining not making sense in it's current form, most of our gamemodes being trash for this and so on.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #292621

Lifts as primary method of z-level transport will be great.
Bonus points for lift music.
Double bonus points for crowbarring open the lift shaft and throwing people down it.
Triple bonus points for being able to emag/sabotage lift breaks to send the entire lift crashing down the shaft.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #292622

Kor wrote:I've wanted to do this for a while and people always seem excited when I mention FTL13 but not excited enough to actually help code or map it.
Do you mean, code FTL13 or port it? Cause FTL13 is already a thing, I've mentioned it before a few times.
Tokiko2

Post by Tokiko2 » #292660

A great way to start with the multi-z level things would be rewriting the maploader so people can actually load a multi-z test map easily.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #292664

D&B wrote:You'll have to rework entire gamemodes around being based on the ship too.

If that's done before the ship migration that'll be grand.
Not really. We can just have it as a map option and have everything else be as normal. If the antags take over (except blob, they lack the ability to do this) they can either keep playing with the ship (ghosts will be spawned in as event characters like boarders or whatever) or launch the escape pods and call it a round.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #292665

Durkel wrote:The mapping isn't as much as a issue as the code problems.

We'd have to tackle

Power net z-levels.
Atmos z-levels.
Explosion z-levels.
Better transitions between zlevels..
And finally getting the ship to "move".

That's not even including the problems we'd have to address such as a arrival shuttle not making much sense, mining not making sense in it's current form, most of our gamemodes being trash for this and so on.
Mining is now salvage op and get to go mine/salvage nearby debris in space. Modes stay the same with end-of-round triggers removed outside of blob which ends as normal. Arrivals is replaced with cryo storage.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #292673

No maploader modifications are required, I have my multiz stuff I just need to finish it (pipes/powernets is about all that's left)
私は完璧
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #292702

id be willing to try my hand at mapping if remie teaches me how to use the multiz stuff she did
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #292703

It's ridiculously simple (kind of the point)
There's a turf that essentially acts as a "hole" to the z below (they can be mapped in, for example a warden office overlooking a brig, but things like explosions will create them in specific situations like multiz stations) and anything that is "below" that turf gets a shadow automatically added to the turf above, so all the visuals are automatic.

As for pipes and wires, they're the exact same just that they go up/down.

Stairs and ladders should be obvious how they work.

It shouldn't change mapping difficulty at all, but allows for more creativity.
私は完璧
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #292704

Okay, sweet. Is this already in the codebase or will I have to wait a bit? I'm thinking about sort of mimicking bay's shuttle design with some changes to account for the gameplay here. (probably won't have all those shuttles in the docking bay, just a ferry and mining transport with a port for white ship) in fact it would be interesting to have the entire ship work as the emergency shuttle with like five minutes of fueling up, then five minutes of preparing to launch. five minutes of actual flight and then docks at centcomm with pods launching three minutes into the flight.

edit: could also use kor's lifts with the stairs working as sort of a backup thing in emergencies and the ladders found in maintenance areas.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #292731

hate to double post but how would going EVA work with multiz? would you stay on the zlevel you exitted the ship on or something? doesnt sound very realistic since you would be able to go up and down IRL, maybe have ladders on the outside or something
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #292798

Ready the "spooky russian codebase" thread in General, I explained a lot about my version of Multiz (it's in that thread because the spooky russian codebase has the ancient shit multiz code and someone was like "pls port" so I made a version that's actually not shit)
私は完璧
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #292870

I'm going to murder coiax.

He renamed the /Cleanable folder to /cleanable and it's fucked up my branch royally.
You will pay for your crimes coiax.

Edit: seems good now, somebody bring me coiax's head.
私は完璧
Tokiko2

Post by Tokiko2 » #292994

I'm glad you're working on this again Remie. Are those hole turfs expensive on the processing? I have somewhere between 10.000-100.000 hole turfs on my map, will that work?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #293113

They have no running cost (well, no more than a regular turf)
I must stress this is nothing like the old-style Multiz tiles.

For 1 my version supports 2 levels of "depth" (eg: you can see 2 levels down, if mapped right, it just gets really hard to see) and 2 the old version used 3 large processing lists, and was horrific, my version doesn't do any processing at all, it's reactive (eg: something happens -> do something, instead of what the old one did: "DID SOMETHING HAPPEN?" "DID SOMETHING HAPPEN?" "DID SOMETHING HAPPEN?" for infinity)

Making it reactive requires a bit more work (eg: fixing up the update_icons() chain so that it all correctly works, which is something that still needs work) so It's understandable why the old method was so jank and bad.

tl;dr no more costly that any other turf.
私は完璧
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #293115

Kor wrote:I've wanted to do this for a while and people always seem excited when I mention FTL13 but not excited enough to actually help code or map it.
"""Idea""" Guys
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #293117

Durkel wrote: That's not even including the problems we'd have to address such as a arrival shuttle not making much sense
Just change the shuttle to a bunch of cryopods.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #293164

Aloraydrel wrote:
"""Idea""" Guys
you mean half of /tg/ the majority of every human being on earth
Limey wrote:its too late.