Construction Idea - Bomb Collar

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cayce
Byond Username: Cayce

Construction Idea - Bomb Collar

Post by Cayce » #22374

C4 or a grenade (or for less effect an igniter or IED)
Cable restraints - use metal on - create metal collar.
Attach explosive
Attach remote signaler or proximity sensor (make it blow if they're sensed by another proximity sensor - allowing an antag to make an invisible maze of prox sensors that will kill their target.)
Use screwdriver on - complete.

When signaled or sensored, it will countdown to 10 and blow.
The wearer can resist it off like cuffs, but have it on a high countdown? (5 minutes maybe).

This would be a way to make C4 a more anti-personnel weapon again, without making it a 'one click death' button and allowing for more.. playful options, such as capture and kidnapping. ("Stay with me or I'll blow your collar.")

EDIT:

Additional thoughts:
Instead of a bomb you could use a power cell or a flash.
The power cell would stun them like an electropack, but only a limited amount of times.
The flash would flash them on signaling/sensing.
Winsome Lousome - A Winsome lass with criminal tendencies.
Kwisatz Haderach - Blue haired prophet of engineering.
Steals-The-Thing - That fucking ligger stole the pen out of my PDA.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Re: Construction Idea - Bomb Collar

Post by Cipher3 » #22380

But wouldn't everyone see the collar and panic?
Is the toxins bomb suit really bomb-proof, because my contingency plan for seeing someone collared would be to put the bomb suit on them and then force-detonate the bomb.

Nonetheless the idea is actually really good, it's an improvement upon the C4-in-your-chest idea and could actually be used by non-antags in certain situations as well.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #22381

Anything that encourages antags to create interesting gimmicks like a hostage situations and such definitely gets my vote. Hostages aren't taken right now because it's difficult as fuck.

Maybe even an added reflex-trigger-thing to the signaller would be awesome that when it's "armed" and if someone shoots, punches or slips you or anything, it goes off, so people couldn't just jump on you the instant you announce you got a hostage.
Cayce

Post by Cayce » #22387

Cipher3 wrote:But wouldn't everyone see the collar and panic?
Most certainly. The bomber would have to use guile or threats of ignition if they were caught.
Cipher3 wrote:Is the toxins bomb suit really bomb-proof, because my contingency plan for seeing someone collared would be to put the bomb suit on them and then force-detonate the bomb.
I could see this as a valid equalizer and method of disarmament.
kosmos wrote:Anything that encourages antags to create interesting gimmicks like a hostage situations and such definitely gets my vote.
That was my intention. I'm sick of antag meaning murderbone. The few times I've actually taken anyone hostage as an antag, I've forced myself into a tense situation because I had no way to control them, and just ended up hiding out with them in the hidden maint surgery room before eventually killing them.

I'd like to do things like taking hostages or working with other antags to enslave groups of people and force them into service under threat of ignition.
kosmos wrote: Maybe even an added reflex-trigger-thing to the signaller would be awesome that when it's "armed" and if someone shoots, punches or slips you or anything, it goes off, so people couldn't just jump on you the instant you announce you got a hostage.
Ooh, I like this.
Maybe with some additional gear to make it less overpowered.
Maybe the construction would require you to wear a body scanning exosuit that you'd have to construct from hard to get equipment.
Last edited by Cayce on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #22388

I approve of this
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #22390

Cipher4 wrote: Is the toxins bomb suit really bomb-proof,
No, but it'll keep the body from gibbing at the very least!
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #22392

If it means less esword maintenance camper, i'm all for it.

But lets not forget we already have chem implants and chest cavity "objects"
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #22394

kosmos wrote:Anything that encourages antags to create interesting gimmicks like a hostage situations and such definitely gets my vote. Hostages aren't taken right now because it's difficult as fuck.

Maybe even an added reflex-trigger-thing to the signaller would be awesome that when it's "armed" and if someone shoots, punches or slips you or anything, it goes off, so people couldn't just jump on you the instant you announce you got a hostage.
Hostages really aren't taken because most of the combat in those situations boils down to: 1) Shoot hostage with taser -> shoot hostage taker with taser, or 2) flashbang gg no re

Last time I've even seen a hostage attempt was back on Badger. It's just a pointless concept in a stun based game such as this
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #22396

An explosive collar on the other hand might give more of an edge to the traitor in question. The problem with hostage taking is that its usually ineffective as a Flashbang or some energy bolts can easily defuse the situation before the traitor can apply force to the hostage.

However giving antags a reliable way to set up a bomb, a very visible bomb, on a hostage can help.

What could be interesting is a "dead man's switch". Once activated the bomb is primed and will detonate if either the switch is dropped (Stunned) or is activated. This would discourage Security from running in with Flashbangs and Tasers since doing so will get the hostage killed permanently.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22397

We currently have all the items you need to make this happen and nobody does it. This will just be used for suicide bombings in rev.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #22424

If anything, we at least need a dead man's trigger added to remote signalers. That's probably the most important aspect to making a hostage situation actually work.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #22436

Attach a timer to a signaler with frequency of the bomb. Have it ticking and adjust it so it doesn't ping. If you are tased or anything happens to you, timer is not adjusted, boom. Have another signaler as well on the same frequency so you can just blow it if things go wrong. Further, if you are okay with not moving around (say, you are behind cover), you can put a proximity-signaler assembly on yourself so it will go off if somebody is nearing you or you decide to move. Even more, you can put that on the victim so they cannot move without blowing themselves up. Not to mention various things you can do with mousetraps and other proximity sensors, lasers as well.

Seriously, you have all the tools you need for your master plan. The hardest part is getting a victim.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #22442

Steelpoint wrote:What could be interesting is a "dead man's switch". Once activated the bomb is primed and will detonate if either the switch is dropped (Stunned) or is activated. This would discourage Security from running in with Flashbangs and Tasers since doing so will get the hostage killed permanently.
So much this
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #22462

Cuboos wrote:I approve of this
:^)
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #22696

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:We currently have all the items you need to make this happen and nobody does it. This will just be used for suicide bombings in rev.
What advantage does that have over simply throwing the grenades, though?
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
LdShade
Byond Username: LdShade

Post by LdShade » #22728

Only problem is that it should just be a traitor PDA link item instead of something any assistant could cobble together with some effort.
Cayce

Post by Cayce » #22736

LdShade wrote:Only problem is that it should just be a traitor PDA link item instead of something any assistant could cobble together with some effort.
Like I posted initially, it would be variable in strength:
C4 would be an instant gib (or non-gib-death if wearing a bombsuit).
Grenades would be variable, depending on the chems in them.
An igniter or IED would just set the target on fire.

But, you can only get C4 from a traitor uplink, so the gibbing-version would require either being a traitor or having the right chemistry supplies (which an assistant wouldn't be able to get.). Or having an emagged ordering console in cargo and using the frag grenade in the ops crate.