The Eternal 'Port Baymed' Thread

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Change Medical? If so, to what?

Medical is fine, do not change
5%
5%
5%
Baymed Derivative - http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... t=50#p2784
19%
19%
19%
The Steelpoint Solution - http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... t=114#p889
5%
The Steelpoint Solution - http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... t=114#p889
5%
5%
Neither, but Medical is bad and should be changed.
4%
4%
4%

Total votes: 129

Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: The Eternal 'Port Baymed' Thread

Post by Psyentific » #2992

Bottom post of the previous page:

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Guys, surgery fucking sucks. Why don't you all want to replace surgery or at least not use it? It's like the worst part of medical.
Because surgery is a detailed, pre-existing system with makeshift equivalents that is almost never used. The solution to something like this not being used is not to remove it - It's to give it a use.

No, appendix sandwiches are not a use.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #2995

I thought you wanted more in depth and complex medbay experience? Surgery is like the opposite of it. It's the most straightforward and easy thing to do.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #2998

Surgery is fun as hell. I wish it got more use, honestly. Nothing like sitting in the viewing room watching a doctor perform an unscheduled sex change on someone who only wanted their eyes repairing.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3007

What you described has nothing to do with the game mechanic itself. The process of surgery is not fun. Player actions might be, sure, but that applies to virtually any mechanic.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3009

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:What you described has nothing to do with the game mechanic itself. The process of surgery is not fun. Player actions might be, sure, but that applies to virtually any mechanic.
The process of setting up the engine is not fun, but having containment unexpectedly fail ten minutes in is !!FUN!!
The process of ordering supplies is not fun, but raiding cargo is fun.

What's your point?
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #3031

Metal Gear med 2014!
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3043

WOW
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #3046

It's pretty evident from the poll thus far that almost everyone wants some form of new medical system. Good.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #3155

Steelpoint wrote:It's pretty evident from the poll thus far that almost everyone wants some form of new medical system. Good.
To be fair, we should probably wait for more votes before deciding on anything, maybe see if we can get an in-game poll. And I voted for a Baymed derivative, so I'm not just trying to invalidate the poll because things aren't going my way, just that 18* people probably isn't enough to get a good sample of the entire community
*as of this post
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3190

Konork wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:It's pretty evident from the poll thus far that almost everyone wants some form of new medical system. Good.
To be fair, we should probably wait for more votes before deciding on anything, maybe see if we can get an in-game poll. And I voted for a Baymed derivative, so I'm not just trying to invalidate the poll because things aren't going my way, just that 18* people probably isn't enough to get a good sample of the entire community
*as of this post
Well, yeah, but the results are holding. I figure, leave it up for a week and call that long enough for anyone who cares to weigh in.
Spoiler:
Though it remains to be seen whether this will actually do anything at all
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3246

What did you expect from the poll in the thread called "Baymed"? Who do you think visits it often enough?
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #3259

I seem to be short on some straw, can I have some of yours? I've seen you grasping at them for quite awhile now.

But in seriousness, a medical rework would be one of the greatest undertakings for the code, since many, many things revolve around how you die. You'd need good plan on how to accomplish what you want to do, both a 'design' plan and a 'how are we gonna make this work with code' plan.

I'd imagine a lot of players would want a new system since new things are inherently appealing, and I admit to wanting to change things later on to make it more interesting. Nothing's really 'wrong' with the current system but you can always do better, with anything.

I actually voted for neither, but only because I'd like to try my hand at it, in the not-very-close future (I'd try now but I got other projects).
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3329

Neerti wrote:Nothing's really 'wrong' with the current system
Did you really just say that? After five pages of people saying "It's too simple" or "Slap a bruisepack on it"?

One Medibot in the Medbay lobby obsoletes the entire Medical Doctor job.
Medbay, as a quadrant of the station, can be replaced by a public cloner/cryo, public sleepers, and a public medical supplies room.

The only thing right with the current system is that it works. It works decently enough, too. But it's mechanically so goddamned simple that it pales in comparison to every other department. Even the new cooking we've got makes medbay look lackluster. Even Cargo makes Medbay look lackluster. I want Medbay to reward and encourage player knowledge and skill, and to an extent, require specialized knowledge. Processes, shortcuts, and tricks that I would expect a professional MD to know, but not a professional Engineer. How to identify and fix internal bleeding, or how to perform back alley bone surgery. Baymed and its derivatives fill that niche nicely.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3360

Are you nuts or something?

We've got brain damage, human DNA which can be fucked with, virology going on. That is all part of the medical system. May be you mean that Medical Doctor is too simple of a job, but that's not a huge problem.

Four main damage types are pretty straightforward, yeah, but they do the job they are meant to. There is nothing wrong with this method, it's easy to balance, and it's more than the absolute majority of games has.

Simplicity in itself is NOT a drawback.

Tell me, are you trying to improve medical system or are you trying to give MD more stuff to do? If it's the latter (and from what you say, I believe it is), I believe you should change your priorities a little.

Like I've said many times before, MD is only one job. We mustn't change medical system to suit JUST MDs for the same reason we do not make all departments absolutely dependent on cargo.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill » #3366

Psyentific wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'd suggest going and taking a look at /vg/'s version of baymed (since afaik that's what you're aiming for).
Long story short, it's a classic SS13 goon-style system. Quite fun in-game, but quite hellish in code.
Unless you can find someone willing to port it, this will go nowhere.
Pomf123
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Pomf123

Post by Pomf123 » #3367

Wild Bill wrote:
Psyentific wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'd suggest going and taking a look at /vg/'s version of baymed (since afaik that's what you're aiming for).
Long story short, it's a classic SS13 goon-style system. Quite fun in-game, but quite hellish in code.
Unless you can find someone willing to port it, this will go nowhere.
Nuh its all mine, you can't have it
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #3699

Lo6a4evskiy wrote: Tell me, are you trying to improve medical system or are you trying to give MD more stuff to do? If it's the latter (and from what you say, I believe it is), I believe you should change your priorities a little.

Like I've said many times before, MD is only one job. We mustn't change medical system to suit JUST MDs for the same reason we do not make all departments absolutely dependent on cargo.
I don't think it's the issue of one job being useless. Finding ways to recover from damage affects everyone on the station, so it's a bit silly to accuse Psyentific of endorsing snowflake code for the MD when the entire station depends on the medical system's mechanics. Yes, the current system works, but it it's so mind-numbingly simple it doesn't reflect the level of depth SS13 is known for.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3769

Reimoo wrote:Yes, the current system works, but it it's so mind-numbingly simple it doesn't reflect the level of depth SS13 is known for.
^

People keep making my exact same point, over and over. Watch, the result of this poll is going to overwhelmingly favor bay-derivatives (13:4, current count), but we're not going to see anything of the sort because of reasons.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3792

Reimoo wrote:Finding ways to recover from damage affects everyone on the station, so it's a bit silly to accuse Psyentific of endorsing snowflake code for the MD when the entire station depends on the medical system's mechanics.
I'm trying to figure out how the first and the second parts of this sentence are connected. I'm failing. He's said that he plays MD, he repeated multiple times that he wants MD to do more, also this this and this
Psyentific wrote:I want Medbay to
Psyentific wrote:One Medibot in the Medbay lobby obsoletes the entire Medical Doctor job.
Psyentific wrote:Medbay, as a quadrant of the station, can be replaced by a public cloner/cryo, public sleepers, and a public medical supplies room.
and now it's silly to accuse him of that, wow. His replies to the fact that patients will be punished for being hurt can be summed up in "well it's not gonna be direct port we're gonna do something about it right guys"
Reimoo wrote:level of depth SS13 is known for.
Care to elaborate?
Psyentific wrote:Watch, the result of this poll is going to overwhelmingly favor bay-derivatives (13:4, current count), but we're not going to see anything of the sort because of reasons.
If you think that 24 people poll in some forum thread is a useful piece of statistics and try to use it as an argument instead of, like you said yourself, valid and legit reasons, I'm done talking with you.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #3798

Lo6a4evskiy wrote: If you think that 24 people poll in some forum thread is a useful piece of statistics and try to use it as an argument instead of, like you said yourself, valid and legit reasons, I'm done talking with you.
It's the best statistic we have as is and I can guarantee that if the result was reversed you would be singing a different tune instead of dismissing it.

As has been said 50 times in this thread, Medbay and the Medical System in general has subjectively less content than practically any other field in the game. Engineering, Research, Robotics, Security, Telescience, Mining, Singularity containment, Electrical systems, construction, they all have a good amount of content to them. Medical is just a bruise pack or ointment that fixes most problems, that is not an oversimplification its fact.

There is no reason be against fleshing out content, the actual problem is HOW to expand the content, and many alternatives have been put forward.

I don't think an expanded medical system will heavily disrupt the game flow in most cases, yes you will be stuck in medbay for longer but in combat scenarios it does not matter how the background medical system works cause if you get crit your dead one way or the other. Also a expanded system can pave the way for additional ghetto ways of healing wounds and injuries.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3799

Steelpoint wrote:yes you will be stuck in medbay for longer
Well, great, we're onto the path to understanding why baymed is shit.

I mean, you won't argue that being stuck somewhere with nothing to do due to poor game mechanic design is a bad thing, right?

So let's just collect all the things that are only fun for some MD players (jee, nobody plays MD anyway) and throw them away, shall we?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #3802

I play MD when I'm not playing the HoS (Or Janitor) but that's besides the point.

Make injuries quick to heal or at least attend to (Start the healing process but you can leave once it's begun) so that if a MD is quick and efficient they can attend to 90% of injuries very quickly. The remaining 10% would usually be those that are in critical condition or suffering a very serious or unique injury (Someone got a arm blown off by a explosion).

In fact, keep the complexity but make the healing a passive system that has to be triggered, so that once its been triggered the patient is free to leave medbay and they will be fully healed in short order, but are not forced to remain in medbay.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #3807

Could we atleast get baymed-like surgery?
I like surgery...

Although the breaking bones are a tad aggravating, as is the advanced scanner... why cant the PDA scanner act like the current health anilizer and the anilizer act like the scanner? /grouse
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3830

Surgery on bay is the same as surgery here, except that I believe they have infections (aka toxin damage) and some more recipes (which would be useless here) and they lack some cool recipes that we have here (all the fun recipes).

You could may be argue that autopsy would be cool to have, and I kind of agree, but in reality all you need is a detective's scanner and a health analyzer. Plus records.

I don't even know why you call baymed more in-depth or whatever is the word you want to use. The surgery is just the recipe, same as cooking, it requires no skill, no knowledge, just time. It's a very poor mechanic. I mean, for a long time brain surgery was famous "scalpel saw scalpel saw", which illustrates the surgery in all its lack of fun.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #3835

Yah, they have infections, also slightly more complicated surgery.
Then the pain thing makes anesthetic necessary, instead of just fluf.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3845

[quote="Lo6a4evskiy"][quote="Reimoo"]Finding ways to recover from damage affects everyone on the station, so it's a bit silly to accuse Psyentific of endorsing snowflake code for the MD when the entire station depends on the medical system's mechanics.[/quote]
I'm trying to figure out how the first and the second parts of this sentence are connected. I'm failing. He's said that he plays MD, he repeated multiple times that he wants MD to do more, also this this and this
[quote="Psyentific"]I want Medbay to[/quote]
[quote="Psyentific"]One Medibot in the Medbay lobby obsoletes the entire Medical Doctor job.[/quote]
[quote="Psyentific"]Medbay, as a quadrant of the station, can be replaced by a public cloner/cryo, public sleepers, and a public medical supplies room.[/quote]
and now it's silly to accuse him of that, wow. His replies to the fact that patients will be punished for being hurt can be summed up in "well it's not gonna be direct port we're gonna do something about it right guys"
[quote="Reimoo"]Medbay does not match the level of depth SS13 is known for.[/quote]
Care to elaborate?
[quote="Psyentific"]Watch, the result of this poll is going to overwhelmingly favor bay-derivatives (13:4, current count), but we're not going to see anything of the sort because of reasons.[/quote]
If you think that 24 people poll in some forum thread is a useful piece of statistics and try to use it as an argument instead of, like you said yourself, valid and legit reasons, I'm done talking with you.[/quote]

I actually don't play MD - I play Cargo and Security. I've stated time and time again that the reason I'm a proponent of this is because MD is woefully ----actually hold on.
Psyentific wrote:One Medibot in the Medbay lobby obsoletes the entire Medical Doctor job.
Psyentific wrote:Medbay, as a quadrant of the station, can be replaced by a public cloner/cryo, public sleepers, and a public medical supplies room.
This, here. But also this.
Reimoo wrote:Medbay does not match the level of depth SS13 is known for.

Steelpoint wrote:yes you will be stuck in medbay for longer
Well, great, we're onto the path to understanding why baymed is shit.
Lobachevsky, what's your playstyle? Rather, how far off the mark am I in the assumption that the thing you enjoy the most in SS13 is the robust combat system. Antag-hunting, valid-seeking, playing sec, whatever you want to call it; The part where people get hurt.

Because if I look at your posts from that perspective, where more fightan is good, less fightan is bad, and being unable to fight is literally hitler, everything you say makes perfect sense.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3863

Psyentific wrote:I actually don't play MD - I play Cargo and Security.
Hm, I was pretty sure I've seen you saying you play MD, but could be I misread.

Oh wait, I can say whatever I want and I'm right. You're playing MD because I said that. Good luck proving it otherwise.

Is that the way of it now?
Psyentific wrote:Lobachevsky, what's your playstyle? Rather, how far off the mark am I in the assumption that the thing you enjoy the most in SS13 is the robust combat system. Antag-hunting, valid-seeking, playing sec, whatever you want to call it; The part where people get hurt.

Because if I look at your posts from that perspective, where more fightan is good, less fightan is bad, and being unable to fight is literally hitler, everything you say makes perfect sense.
Seriously, does it matter if I answer? Seems like you've made up your mind all right.

Only that's no more than trying to make the opposite side look bad. It will only work on people who won't change their minds anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #3889

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:

Oh wait, I can say whatever I want and I'm right. You're playing MD because I said that. Good luck proving it otherwise.

Psyentific wrote:Lobachevsky, what's your playstyle? Rather, how far off the mark am I in the assumption that the thing you enjoy the most in SS13 is the robust combat system. Antag-hunting, valid-seeking, playing sec, whatever you want to call it; The part where people get hurt.

Seriously, does it matter if I answer? Seems like you've made up your mind all right.

Only that's no more than trying to make the opposite side look bad. It will only work on people who won't change their minds anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
He's accusing you of being a powergamer simply because you've implied that having periods where you are out of action for whatever reason is bad. While that is an unfair judgement, he does have a point. Believe it or not, SS13 is more than just combat and frantic chaos. The downtimes where people actually have to perform their jobs is where most roleplaying opportunities come from.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3901

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:

"Facts are wrong because I say they are"

I have no words. The sheer bogfuckleing stupidity contained within that post has caused my train of thought to grind to a screeching halt.
Congratulations, you've rendered me speechless; that's very hard to do.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3947

Reimoo wrote:He's accusing you of being a powergamer simply because you've implied that having periods where you are out of action for whatever reason is bad. While that is an unfair judgement, he does have a point. Believe it or not, SS13 is more than just combat and frantic chaos. The downtimes where people actually have to perform their jobs is where most roleplaying opportunities come from.
Having periods where you cannot do anything in a video game is bad.

That's kind of obvious if you ask me. I don't see the connection with fighting or greentext though.

Brig is different in the way that you're being punished for breaking the law.

Jesus Christ, that's like the fifth time I have to say this.

I mean, combat in this game is like the worst combat ever, why would anybody play JUST for combat?
Psyentific wrote:Image
"Facts are wrong because I say they are"

I have no words. The sheer bogfuckleing stupidity contained within that post has caused my train of thought to grind to a screeching halt.
Congratulations, you've rendered me speechless; that's very hard to do.
That's good that you realized that

because that is exactly what you did when you accused me of being powergaming shitlord.

I mean, really? You could not tell?

You just come up with an idea what of how I play the game based on your forum posts.

I just come up with an idea of what jobs you play based on your forum posts.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #3983

Lo6a4evskiy wrote: Having periods where you cannot do anything in a video game is bad.
We're already way out of the bounds of normal game design. We have a combat system based around making people unable to do things so you can finish them off, death could very well lead to you being unable to do things for an hour or two, and in some cases, your ability to do anything besides sit around is entirely dependent on other players who you have no reason to trust that they won't fuck something up. I really doubt a few minutes of healing is going to do much, and that's assuming whatever we use requires you to be completely stationary during those few minutes.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #3989

I'm getting more and more certain that Lo6a4evskiy is just trolling the whole Ideas-subforum by jumping from thread to another and opposing every single one of them without any other argument than "everything is good right now in my opinion which is clearly superior, don't change anything ever, even having doctors having nothing to do is perfect, you all go2bay".

IMHO periods where you cannot do anything are the salt of SS13. It's what makes it different. Anything which makes me more afraid of getting killed in this game makes the game more exciting, at least for me. The new baymed-derivative would get doctors something to do and enable awesome situations, like disabling the enemy's hands of feet so they are crippled.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3993

I replied in exactly two threads on this subforum. If you think that negative opinion is necessarily a bad opinion, you should think again, because only mixed opinions lead to best results.

You and Psyentific both talk how awesome it is to break enemies bones to disable them. You don't talk about how "awesome" it is to BE that enemy. Let's see: you can barely move and cannot use items or anything.

Oh, how awesome. You're worse than a monkey. Better make mutagen turn people into monkeys again, it's so awesome, guys.

You talk how you will break traitor's and changeling's bones. You don't talk how antags will die in situation like that anyway, so it's not gonna cripple them too much. Oh, but non-antags will suffer, yes.

Traitor slipped you in the hallway, broke your bones and left you barely alive in maint. How cool! Guess what are you gonna do next ten minutes or until you bleed out.

Medbay got bombed. Now every broken bone means you're crippled until round end.

No MDs available. Same thing.

MD is incompetent. Same thing.

"Oh, but you shouldn't fight antags and you won't get hurt"

Yeah right. Antags will just try to murder somebody else.

It's not ABOUT few minutes in medbay when all doctors are cool and treating you properly. It's about when things go wrong. On /tg/ things go wrong every round and they go MASSIVELY wrong.

I mean, on bay, round with two hull breaches in north arrivals and engineering maint with nobody really hurt is considered chaotic. That's from very recent experience of mine.

GUESS WHAT SERVER IS NOT GOOD TO TAKE GAME MECHANICS FROM
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #3995

Things going horribly wrong is oft considerd the staple of SS13, that's not a bad thing.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3996

That's my point. They do go horribly wrong all the time. Therefore, we need medical system which adjusts to that appropriately, so you are not stuck helpless every time things go wrong (every time).
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #4013

Ghetto surgery.
And the fact that injuries should, indeed, be a danger.

As a note, I often play on a server using baymed and having traitors, and none of the issues you brought up have occurred yet. People still hunt antags, antags still kill people (although not as much, we have a rule requiring a reason for killing), bones still break, medbay is still often nearly empty, and guess what? Broken bones still get treated, antags and there targets still get dunked, and even when medbay goes up in a pile of suckysuckyhole we still have surgeries thanks to ghetto surgery being used.

kosmos

Post by kosmos » #4417

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I replied in exactly two threads on this subforum. If you think that negative opinion is necessarily a bad opinion, you should think again, because only mixed opinions lead to best results.
That is true but I'd appreciate if you were trying to take the idea further instead of just hindering it. A compromise, perhaps? That is, if you don't again think that everything in Medbay is perfect right now, to me it seems like there's near nothing to do as a Medical Doctor, especially if Robotics makes one or two Medibots.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote: You and Psyentific both talk how awesome it is to break enemies bones to disable them. You don't talk about how "awesome" it is to BE that enemy. Let's see: you can barely move and cannot use items or anything.
I know things are difficult, but I think the matter is not so black and white, things could be balanced to be as perfectly as challenging as they are right now, BUT still increase the dynamics of combat and also through that increase the dynamics of Medbay without making the game impossibly hard to be antag.

Also, it's not just about breaking the enemy's bones. The enemy could easily break yours, making combat more exciting for both parties.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #4426

I've lost fights because a stray laser broke my arm, which caused me to drop my E-Gun, which caused me to try and fingergun the enemy to death. At the time it was incredibly frustrating, but I can only look back on that as an iconic moment of Baymed. It's more !!FUN!! this way.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #4435

kosmos wrote:Also, it's not just about breaking the enemy's bones. The enemy could easily break yours, making combat more exciting for both parties.
That's not the point.
kosmos wrote:I know things are difficult, but I think the matter is not so black and white, things could be balanced to be as perfectly as challenging as they are right now, BUT still increase the dynamics of combat and also through that increase the dynamics of Medbay without making the game impossibly hard to be antag.
Why don't you balance it perfectly BEFORE you try and ask people to port it?
Psyentific wrote:I've lost fights because a stray laser broke my arm, which caused me to drop my E-Gun, which caused me to try and fingergun the enemy to death. At the time it was incredibly frustrating, but I can only look back on that as an iconic moment of Baymed. It's more !!FUN!! this way.
I disagree. You have to understand that it is not an ultimate upgrade of medical. Not all of us think of it as fun, do you still not understand that? That's the whole point of me posting here - to show you that not everybody wants it, that it's not perfect and that it's not just an ultimate flawless upgrade to current system.

And you won't even lose anything, since you have at least two servers with different rules but this code you seem to enjoy so much - go and pick one! But I will have nowhere to play if you push this code through, I like it here as is, fast and gamey, no pressure. I barely have time to play on /tg/ these days, I can't afford to spend a quarter of my round in medbay because of this SUPER FUN code you've been pushing so hard.

On an unrelated note, how does laser even break bones. That's kind of unusual for sci-fi laser.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #4440

The inverse of your argument is that people want to see a expanded medical system, more so than the one's saying they don't want one as far as we can see from the poll. You can't appease everyone but its clear from what I've seen that more people want a expanded medical system.

People will hate it, and people will love it. Others won't care.

I've got to say but if you don't want to spend a quarter of your round (Bit of a dramatisation possibly) in medbay, DON'T run in head first into an explosion or fire fight or hull breach and expect to come out with only a minor injury. Also the fact of the matter is an expanded medical system won't change the outcome of combat since if you in critical or at the mercy of a traitor you will die irrespective of what medical system we use.

In addition, I don't think lasers should break bones. I see lasers as more of a heat based weapon not a ballistic based weapon, so you would suffer from burn wounds but not blunt trauma.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #4503

I think they now do burn damage and not brute on baymed.

Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #4517

Steelpoint wrote:if you don't want to spend a quarter of your round (Bit of a dramatisation possibly) in medbay, DON'T run in head first into an explosion or fire fight or hull breach and expect to come out with only a minor injury.
What is wrong with being able to survive hull breaches on a server where no round ends without any?

Secondly, the game is of course about paranoia/fear/whatever when it is convenient for people to support their side of the argument, but suddenly all injuries happen only because of me. Yep, never got injured by somebody else, never happens.
Steelpoint wrote:Also the fact of the matter is an expanded medical system won't change the outcome of combat since if you in critical or at the mercy of a traitor you will die irrespective of what medical system we use.
Then what the fuck is the point of the expanded medical system?

Except Psyentific described how it would change the outcome of the combat like a post ago.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #4518

Further argument from me is the equivalent of pissing against the wind. I've made my point and so have many, many, others in support of a expanded medical system.

It's clear a majority of people, at least those on this forum, want a expanded medical system. The onus is now on someone coding and drafting a design document on it for TG.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #4637

The idea that surgical complications requirs a complete abolishment of simple application meds is absurd. We already have genetic damage something similar can be used on limbs easily all the meds heal specified types of health loss(just some more than others), medibots and wonder drugs can coexist with surgeons. I would like to see makeshift temporary solutions to stuff like broken bones and external wounds, that can fail leading to joy like like the disgruntled wounded having a first aid splint slip or a bandaged wound start bleeding again.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #4689

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:if you don't want to spend a quarter of your round (Bit of a dramatisation possibly) in medbay, DON'T run in head first into an explosion or fire fight or hull breach and expect to come out with only a minor injury.
What is wrong with being able to survive hull breaches on a server where no round ends without any?
We arent importing the broke-as-fuck atmos system with it.
And I have SPACEWALKED in a jumpsuit on bay servers and walked to the escape shuttle without medical help afterwards.
I just coughed up alot of blood as I walked.
Incomptinence wrote:The idea that surgical complications requires a complete abolishment of simple application meds is absurd. We already have genetic damage something similar can be used on limbs easily all the meds heal specified types of health loss(just some more than others), medibots and wonder drugs can coexist with surgeons.
It dosent, true, but that is not the only thing being aimed at. This thread is mostly here to add some life to medical, give doctors something else to do than bandain, ointment, sleeper and to try to fix the issue of people leaving critted people to die because they cant shove them in a pod and heal them that way. More thngs to do with surgery are needed and good ideas, and the whole issue of broken bones adds a new demention to antag strategy.
Medibots can coexist, yes. They still exist with baymed and actually help a ton.

Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #4946

I booted up my own server of baycode, chopped a guys arm off, kept him stable for awhile then tended to his wounds, even had to give him some more blood. I then fixed up his foot that got broke somehow, then gave him a new robo arm.

After that I cut a spessman's head off and reattached it.

Baymed fun med.

Edit: I also unloaded a whole mag of .44 into some guys chest and he was still able to walk and heal himself, man, baymed works fine man.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
rexagon
Byond Username: Rexagon

Post by rexagon » #4971

Just off the top of my head, I think chems, surgery and minor wound recovery should be sped up by resting and sleeping, so you cant just tank damage you receive.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #6125

If you like spending half the round in medbay because the doctors are incompetent go and play one of those little baymed servers like that.

If you like it so much, it exists, it fits with the playstyle of its server, not of this one.

If any of you have actually played on bay, you may notice that violence and destruction isn't the rule, it's the exception. It is the exact opposite here, and any round that the station survives without fairly significant structural and personal damage is the exception.

Also more that most bay rounds go for like 5x longer than they do here.

TL;DR GO BACK TO BAY
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
kosmos

Post by kosmos » #6261

callanrockslol wrote:TL;DR GO BACK TO BAY
Wow. Do you seriously think Medical Doctor is a job good right now? You think it has the same depth like most of the jobs on the station? If you really do think that being an MD with almost 0 things to do 99% of the time is perfect, just say so, instead of telling people to leave. If you do think that the medical system could be improved, provide some ideas. ...Welp, what am I ranting about. The poll speaks for itself.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #6280

-six people like current med
-TWENTY SEVEN want med changed.
-Of those, 17 want near-streight baymed.
-Another 5 want SteelMed
-Yet another five want it changed somehow that is neither of those.
-Callanrockslow states that the med system is brilliant, and TWENTY SEVEN of the rather more active players, including several ADMINS, should fuckoff and play bay.
*applause*

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #6285

As I see it, the issue is one of playstyle.

We play on a server that many people play on purely because it is so mechanical. They use everything they can to get an advantage so they can win. I don't like this but I like the server and the people on it.

These mechanics-minded players will despise any change to make something more difficult, because it's essentially a nerf. I love running around slapping on bruise packs and feeling better without having to stop off at Medbay, but it's silly and kills opportunities for interacting with other players.

I think baymed is an absolutely ridiculous idea to implement, however. It is completely incompatible with the people who play here, especially on Sibyl, but I do agree that a better medical system needs to happen eventually.

I think once you implement a system halfway between the current one and baymed, these players will hopefully take it as a hint that fighting isn't the only way to resolve situations. I don't like that it's impossible to threaten people or talk to an officer before you get stunned and dunked halfway through typing 90% of the time. It would be nice if combat was more punishing and thus talking was a more rewarding option mechanically. Why stop you in a hallway and talk when I can stuncuff you and ask you the same question with no real danger to myself? This attitude will still be present, but hopefully lessened.

Anyway I think Steel's med or some variant thereof would be best. Full on baymed just won't work on sibyl.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman