Departures shuttle.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Departures shuttle.

Post by christ110 » #302407

With people pushing for longer rounds, my ultimate goal would be a round-time of 2 hours or so. I realized, there would be an issue however with such a round.
1, real life is a thing, and this is longer than cs:go's theoretical 100 minutes.
2, not enough depts are engaging enough to provide entertainment for 2 hours.
With people trying to solve the engagement/entertainment issue, I believe we need a solution to the real life issue.
Therefore, I propose the departures shuttle.

It's a shuttle the size of the mining shuttle, which leaves once every 5 minutes.
It only leaves during code green, or if the emergency shuttle isn't called.
If you leave on it, the game checks your mind's role, and your ID (in case you swapped jobs) and opens the appropriate slots.
Once you've left on the shuttle, you're sent to the lobby, but also given a 30 minute timer before you can re-join.
Keep in mind, this only applies to people who leave, not those who die, or ghost.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Re: Departures shuttle.

Post by Professor Hangar » #302548

This seems like it'd be a big problem to reconcile with the current way traitor objectives work.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #302554

>assassination target fucks off on the shuttle
>greyshirt carrying steal objective item fucks off on the shuttle
>sec officer carrying half the armory fucks off on the shuttle
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #302567

Nobody wants 2 hour rounds
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #302572

Nobody wants 2 second rounds either.
This suggestion makes 2 hour rounds not as shitty as before, so while maybe people don't want 2 hour rounds now, they won't seem as bad if this is added.
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #302607

Luke Cox wrote:Nobody wants 2 hour rounds
yeah no one wanted you either
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #302608

cedarbridge wrote:>assassination target fucks off on the shuttle
do baystation's thing where their equipment is returned to the station for collection.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #302616

kevinz000 wrote:
dead
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #302629

kevinz000 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:>assassination target fucks off on the shuttle
do baystation's thing where their equipment is returned to the station for collection.
yeah, there's a console next to their cryostorage sleeper things that just collects all the "valuable" items in the contents of anyone who goes into storage, and pretty much all steal objectives and guns count.

People departing are also announced over the common channel (like arrivals) so if your assassination target fucks off you'll know about it. I don't imagine it'd be difficult to reassign objectives in that event either.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #302677

Either that or have security have to check and clear people before they leave, all TSA style.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #302754

Game is not built to last two hours.

This would be a bad fix
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #302780

kevinz000 wrote:
brb killing myself
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #302808

This seems like a really nice change, the only issue I think would be adjusting the time for departures coming along.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #302892

D&B wrote:Game is not built to last two hours.

This would be a bad fix
2 hour rounds aren't too bad, given there's time for cool projects and shit to go horribly wrong enough to make use of them.

Though any more than that and things start falling apart and not in fun ways.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #302907

After thirty minutes on a traitors round shit was fucked enough to warrant calling the shuttle. Why would allowing people to leave the station make rounds last any longer? The only greater than 2 hour rounds I've seen in the last few months have been lowpop extended/traitor, anything else would not work because the population is too high, greater chance of tide/incompetent engineers. People at low pop times generally seem to be smart enough/nice enough not to tide or blow the SM or whatever. This is what allows the rounds to last a long time, not letting bored people leave the crew. Another issue relating to this is, as you said, the departments aren't entertaining enough for long amounts of time. Most of them can be "completed" in under an hour at which point you need to find something to do with your cool stuff or validhunt which seems to be what a lot of department's end game gear is geared towards. I'm not going to detail anything about that here because I'm tired and it would belong in another thread.

There just doesn't seem much of a point to me for this. People who want to leave the round will go braindead, suicide, ghost, or whatever. They don't need a special shuttle to do that and also give them a respawn later on. (if you leave a round you shouldn't be able to come back unless via ghost roles or being revived)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
christ110

Post by christ110 » #302951

We could like, make a sort of inverse station loving flag, that applies to the departures shuttle's transit space. Allowing items for traitor objectives to get moved back to their original spawn if they wind up in the shuttle's transit space.
christ110

Post by christ110 » #302955

Also, this idea is proposed to compliment not what /tg/ is, but what we're pushing towards according to kor and whatnot regarding the pseudo-freeze and the lament of our codebase being wide as an ocean, but deep as a puddle.
Again, this is meant to replace ghosting with a system that opens the job slot, and allows you to re-join
AFTER 30 MINUTES -gotta specify that part because if I don't, someone's gonna run with it being an instant re-join.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #303133

BeeSting12 wrote:After thirty minutes on a traitors round shit was fucked enough to warrant calling the shuttle. Why would allowing people to leave the station make rounds last any longer? The only greater than 2 hour rounds I've seen in the last few months have been lowpop extended/traitor, anything else would not work because the population is too high, greater chance of tide/incompetent engineers. People at low pop times generally seem to be smart enough/nice enough not to tide or blow the SM or whatever. This is what allows the rounds to last a long time, not letting bored people leave the crew. Another issue relating to this is, as you said, the departments aren't entertaining enough for long amounts of time. Most of them can be "completed" in under an hour at which point you need to find something to do with your cool stuff or validhunt which seems to be what a lot of department's end game gear is geared towards. I'm not going to detail anything about that here because I'm tired and it would belong in another thread.

There just doesn't seem much of a point to me for this. People who want to leave the round will go braindead, suicide, ghost, or whatever. They don't need a special shuttle to do that and also give them a respawn later on. (if you leave a round you shouldn't be able to come back unless via ghost roles or being revived)
Because people love it when you shove things down their throats!
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305048

The basic idea of allowing people to leave a round without killing themselves or going braindead isn't a bad idea, the tricky bit is execution.

Still pushing the Space TSA suggestion, with various convoluted means for antags and security to work around it. Make it like Papers, Please.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #305060

Luke Cox wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:
brb killing myself
Are you done yet?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #305257

Regardless of gameplay reasons not to have 2 hour rounds, there's also the fact that the longer a round goes on, the more the code decays and things break. This effect can be noticed by players around 1:30 to 2 hours into the game, and it gets progressively worse. The game's core code is literally not designed for rounds of that length. During longer rounds features and controllers literally start breaking, and eventually the server lags to infinity.

It's totally unrelated, but it reminds me of FPS death in dwarf fortress.
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #305688

tacolizard wrote:Regardless of gameplay reasons not to have 2 hour rounds, there's also the fact that the longer a round goes on, the more the code decays and things break. This effect can be noticed by players around 1:30 to 2 hours into the game, and it gets progressively worse. The game's core code is literally not designed for rounds of that length. During longer rounds features and controllers literally start breaking, and eventually the server lags to infinity.

wait WHAT
can you elaborate on this
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #305689

I like the idea of a departures shuttle being called if on green alert INSTEAD of an emergency one
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #305690

Make green alert shuttle calls take ten minutes and re-name it to a crew transfer shuttle.
arbiter787
Byond Username: Arbiter787

Post by arbiter787 » #305709

tacolizard wrote:Regardless of gameplay reasons not to have 2 hour rounds, there's also the fact that the longer a round goes on, the more the code decays and things break. This effect can be noticed by players around 1:30 to 2 hours into the game, and it gets progressively worse. The game's core code is literally not designed for rounds of that length. During longer rounds features and controllers literally start breaking, and eventually the server lags to infinity.

This is untrue. I have played rounds that have lasted upwards of 10 hours with no apparent ill effects.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #305717

This would be true, if it were 2013.
But it's not, so it's not.
Smoopadoop wrote: wait WHAT
can you elaborate on this
None needed, see above.
私は完璧
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305744

I heard a few years ago that the way stations are set up, one round that went like 24 hours resulted in everyone eventually moving to and fixing up the derelict since the default station ran out of air, but that might have changed somewhere with the dark monkey voodoo that is atmospherics.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #305745

We have atmos miners now that infinitely generate gases in exchange for power.
However we don't use them on station for some reason and are still resorting to the ancient hack of having each tank have its gas mixes set to ridiculous levels that aren't naturally possible.
私は完璧
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #305765

Remie Richards wrote:We have atmos miners now that infinitely generate gases in exchange for power.
However we don't use them on station for some reason and are still resorting to the ancient hack of having each tank have its gas mixes set to ridiculous levels that aren't naturally possible.
Perhaps the most likely reason is either "Lazy mappers", or "No one thought about it yet."? I generally try to avoid touching maps, but it SHOULD be as simple as placing each miner in its respective atmos tank.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305824

I think the idea is as much there to make maintaining the station deliberately difficult and dangerous, while Lavaland is dangerous enough on its own.

Though probably worth looking into finding a better balance between difficult and inevitably breaking down.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #305835

Wait are you guys sure? In sticky's massive marathon rounds the whole thing chugged so badly after several hours that atmos had to be disabled, and they always inevitably ended in a server crash anyways. Hardly a good test because of the massive amount of admin fuckery that inevitably ensued but I always assumed it was because the code just started to have issues after about four or so hours
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #305866

one way to find out, more marathon rounds
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #305978

bandit wrote:one way to find out, more marathon rounds
the true scientific method
Limey wrote:its too late.
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #306070

Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #306087

Not hard to just run a test server with the explicit intention of seeing how long a round can go, sans interference, before the station and/or system starts breaking down, is it?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #306128

This is very recent, and a bug.
It will be fixed.
私は完璧
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #307320

Professor Hangar wrote:Not hard to just run a test server with the explicit intention of seeing how long a round can go, sans interference, before the station and/or system starts breaking down, is it?
If it's just you on the server, and you're just letting it run for a while, you might not notice things breaking down. A lot of the things that I've seen reported to break in longer rounds would be hard to notice outside of an active round.
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #307321

Remie Richards wrote:
This is very recent, and a bug.
It will be fixed.
Well that issue is most likely caused by #23818 and it seems like a fairly large issue that could be a flaw in BYOND. I don't think it's going to be fixed relatively soon, and even if it is there's not reason other similar things won't appear. The fact is that this code is rarely tested for long-round stability so there could be any number of lateround bugs that are undiscovered.