Round-end medal report

A place to record your ideas for the game.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Round-end medal report

Post by RandomMarine » #303795

I think it would be kind of cool and add at least a little meaning to the box of medals if when a medal is pinned to somebody, they get an input popup where they can fill in a reason why. Which is added to the medal's description.

Then at the end of the round, all medals the (genuine) captain gave out are added to the round ending report in a way such as this:

Spaceman Johnson the Station Engineer was awarded the distinguished conduct medal!Image
- For slipping the clown on his own PDA and stuffing him into a disposal line straight into the supermatter, brutal.

Slam Bulkhead the Curator was awarded the medal of valor!Image
- We played a game of blackjack and it was great.

John GOTTAGETDISK was awarded the bronze heart medal!Image
- For not succumbing before getting looted THANKS FOR THE SYNDIE SWAG, NERD
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Round-end medal report

Post by BeeSting12 » #303799

this is a cool idea
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #303803

This is a really cool idea.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #303807

I'd kickstart the idea.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #303818

I like it
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #303846

RandomMarine wrote:I think it would be kind of cool and add at least a little meaning to the box of medals if when a medal is pinned to somebody, they get an input popup where they can fill in a reason why. Which is added to the medal's description.

Then at the end of the round, all medals the (genuine) captain gave out are added to the round ending report in a way such as this:

Spaceman Johnson the Station Engineer was awarded the distinguished conduct medal!Image
- For slipping the clown on his own PDA and stuffing him into a disposal line straight into the supermatter, brutal.

Slam Bulkhead the Curator was awarded the medal of valor!Image
- We played a game of blackjack and it was great.

John GOTTAGETDISK was awarded the bronze heart medal!Image
- For not succumbing before getting looted THANKS FOR THE SYNDIE SWAG, NERD

So you write the reason with a pen i assume
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
RandomMarine
Github User

Post by RandomMarine » #303847

Bombadil wrote:So you write the reason with a pen i assume
I was more thinking just a box that pops up when you hit the spaceman with the medal.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #304008

Remember when we had that thing, where if you survived and evacuated you would get custom skin effect? I thought it was cool but people screeched autistically upon losing the effects so it got scrapped.

Do it with medals, make them persist. Maybe even don't remove them on death, reset the medal counter on a weekly basic. And add a button to flaunt your medal case to everyone.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #304009

I think this is a phenomenal idea.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #304010

You could add a private trophy case (akin to admin notes) so people can reminisce over past medals.

But that's just fluff that'll get the idea bogged down in hell. The core idea of being able to award medals that show up in the after round report is a solid idea in its own right. Though perhaps this may require a limit on the amount of medals the Captain gets at round start.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #304011

IIRC the medal case only has a small selection to begin with, I don't think there's any issue with limiting the amount that are given out. There may need to be something in place to keep a medal from being pinned/unpinned over and over and over again to cause multiple pop-ups though. Maybe only the first time it's awarded? Or perhaps only those medals that are attached at roundend?
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #304012

Sweaterkittens wrote:IIRC the medal case only has a small selection to begin with, I don't think there's any issue with limiting the amount that are given out. There may need to be something in place to keep a medal from being pinned/unpinned over and over and over again to cause multiple pop-ups though. Maybe only the first time it's awarded? Or perhaps only those medals that are attached at roundend?
I think for sanity's sake the end round report should only list medals that are currently being worn by someone when the round ends, irrespective of where that person is.

Would also allow people to remove a medal to deny that sweet report, maybe that person you rewarded turned out to be a traitor unbefitting such a honour.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #304027

Heads of staff (QM included) should get a single medal for intradepartemental achievements.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #304030

I don't think we should clutter up the end of round report. Too many medals and it not only clogs everything up but it dilutes the """honour""" of getting a medal.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #304032

It could be a link that opens a window of medals earned that round and the reason for the award. It's more of a ingame collection of memorable/notorious events rather than anything to do with 'honour' I think, unless we add something like CENTCOM only awards admins can pop in to award, which might be kinda fun.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #304054

would love to see this, it's a cool idea
Limey wrote:its too late.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #304079

I like it. make there be something that records it so we can see awards from previous rounds. maybe put pictures in the command hallway that show random past medals and their recipients.
RandomMarine
Github User

Post by RandomMarine » #304094

I believe there's already no way to get more medals other than the ones that exist in the medal box roundstart, unless some dork has some dotted around in some random ruins.

And it would be simple to code it so each medal can only be given out once. So there shouldn't be any clutter issues on the very rare event a captain would be tossing awards left and right.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #305929

Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #306130

This is amazing. It's almost always fun to see what two or three medals got handed out.

I also managed to steal the captains medal by giving them a medal, which required them to take the one already on their jumpsuit off. The medal said "For finding the flaw in my cunning plan" after they pointed out that it didn't make sense for the RD to be hiding in the captains office during a "revolution".