Flairs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
NoscopeToolbox
Byond Username: NoscopeToolbox

Flairs

Post by NoscopeToolbox » #911

Q: What is a flair?
A: A small image before the player's name in OOC, just like member's BYOND atom.
Examples:
OOC: ImageTomeno: I'm full of ideas!
OOC: ImageTomeno: I'm good at finding bugs!
OOC: ImageTomeno: I'm awesome!
OOC: ImageTomeno: I won an event!

Those flairs could be acquired by: having an idea of yours put into the game (bulb), finding a bug that is then fixed (bug), winnning events (crown, trophy), and achievements (wip).
everyone loves cosmetics!
and if /tg/station ever needs monies, donating.

Achievements!
Achievements are things you get for doing certain things(duh)! When you get one, only you are told so, unlike on Goon where it announces it to the server. At the end of the round, players that got achievements are shown along with the achievements they got.
Examples:
Into The Gibber: Get gibbed.
Beam me up, Scotty!: Get teleported by a telepad.
Old Memories: Visit the Delerict.

K NO ACHIEVEMENTS ARE TERRIBLE I GET IT
Last edited by NoscopeToolbox on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Flairs and Achievements

Post by Psyentific » #915

Low-hanging fruit?
Low-hanging fruit.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #916

Pathetic.

Achievements in an RP game makes no sense.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
NoscopeToolbox
Byond Username: NoscopeToolbox

Post by NoscopeToolbox » #917

Psyentific wrote:Low-hanging fruit?
Low-hanging fruit.
You mean the achievements? Those are ment to be easy to get.

Slip It Up: Slip 50 people with your PDA as a clown.
BZZT!: Emag Beepsky.
ZZZAP!: Get shocked by a grille 50 times.
Stephie

Post by Stephie » #919

SS13 is far from an RP game, at least on our servers. But I dislike the idea of adding achievements. From my experience with them, achievements are used to excuse poor gameplay, by rewarding the players for doing activities they wouldn't be interested in otherwise without actually rewarding them. And the last thing that we need is to water down both role- and gameplay aspects of SS13.

Yeah, implementing achievements won't necessarily hurt, but god, do I hate them.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #920

NoscopeToolbox wrote:
Psyentific wrote:Low-hanging fruit?
Low-hanging fruit.
You mean the achievements? Those are ment to be easy to get.

Slip It Up: Slip 50 people with your PDA as a clown.
BZZT!: Emag Beepsky.
ZZZAP!: Get shocked by a grille 50 times.
No, what I mean is that it'd be simple to code and noticable/rewarding for players. A low-hanging fruit that is sweet and easy to pick.

Taking your Slip It Up as an example?

Add a variable to Clown PDAs and Banana Peels - Increment the variable each time somebody enters the tile it's on and is not wearing noslips or galoshes and is not hulked out.
If the variable reaches 10, add achievement to clown ckey "Rookie Clown"
If the variable reaches 50, add achievement to clown ckey "Honker"
If the variable reaches 100, add achievement to clown ckey "Honklord"
If the variable reaches 255, add achievement to clown ckey "Bongo Hitler"

New BYOND Command, Show-Achievements - Shows ckey of the player calling it, then show each achievement earned, possibly with time earned and character name earned with.
New BYOND Command, Robust-Rewards - Based off of the membership perks, allows a player to choose flairs. Instead of checking Membership, it checks achievements. Flairs range from cosmetic items (Hats!) to ghost sprites (clown mask?) to OOC icons.

Stephie wrote:SS13 is far from an RP game, at least on our servers. But I dislike the idea of adding achievements. From my experience with them, achievements are used to excuse poor gameplay, by rewarding the players for doing activities they wouldn't be interested in otherwise without actually rewarding them. And the last thing that we need is to water down both role- and gameplay aspects of SS13.

Yeah, implementing achievements won't necessarily hurt, but god, do I hate them.
Take another page from Goon - Basic Achievements for doing your fucking job (set up engine? cryo? achievement). Intermediate achievements for being robust (Escape Alone). Top-tier achievements for being a robustlord ("Hero We Never Deserved" - As Crew, Dunk five Nuke Ops. "Geoncide Protocols" - As Malf AI, all crew are dead/crit immediately prior to nuke detonation). Achievements, not as an ends, but as a means to show that you did something. Bragging rights.

Don't set achievements to encourage shitty gameplay, or, if you do, mark them as "You got this for being complete shit, good job asshole" - For example, a borg that gets blown by its own AI. Getting jobbanned from Assistant. Not a badge of honor, or bragging rights, but a badge of shame and something to be ridiculed for having.

Used properly, something like this could incentivize being good and discourage being bad.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Re: Flairs

Post by Rockdtben » #1008

I like the flairs idea. I don't care for the achievement stuff. Should definitely make this a members only feature.
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Re: Flairs

Post by Cheridan » #1013

Rockdtben wrote:I like the flairs idea. I don't care for the achievement stuff. Should definitely make this a members only feature.
I think the idea would be that they'd be less of an avatar that someone would just pick, and more a goodie that members of administration could pass out to awesome contributors.
an incentive to report bugs would be especially nice.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.