Abandoned Station Spawn Ruin (Space)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Abandoned Station Spawn Ruin (Space)

Post by Steelpoint » #309240

Bottom post of the previous page:

Its a one hundred year old Space Suit that was never designed to go that long without maintenance, the fact the Space Suit is still functional is a miracle unto itself. I can fluff it that all those years of non-maint have made the suit very unwieldy to use, and even dangerous to move in quickly in fear of tearing the suit and breaching it.

If I had the coding expertise I would make the station even more shitty, the best goal the crew can hope is to get RnD online and start getting SOME modern gear from it eventually. I've lored it that the station semi-woke up due to the ship's Artificial Program (pre-AI, non-sapient/sentient program) recieved a data burst from SS13 that contained the basic RnD systems. The Artificial Program then decided to expend its last remaining power to wake up the remaining crew, before the power loss permanetly killed it.

@Armhulen: I might use some of Ausops gun-crafting sprites to make the egun look even more basic. Its meant to be a very early prototype Energy Gun. Maybe I'll make it worse by only letting it have enough power for five to eight lasers and fifteen or so disable rounds.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309241

Also the Hardsuit is a powered Exosuit. The Space Suit is non-powered.

Naturally that means a Human in a Hardsuit would expend less effort to move it than someone in a Space Suit.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #309243

It probably shouldn't even have disabler rounds, both LORE wise and like I don't know why you'd need disablers. You could make it hold more lasers but overheat would be kinda interesting.

@Steelpoint I thought the prototype was like what the NCR did with stolen power armor, but that makes sense
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309244

If I was going with "old" it would have stun rounds, but that's way to powerful I think and would be a major point of contention. Unless I made it only have enough power to fire a single stun round before expending all power, might be more viable.

As I said though, if I had the skills I would make everything on the station shitty and have drawbacks, but I'll do the best I can with what I can do at least in terms of item restrictions and map placement.

Overview of the entire station thus far
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #309245

I think keeping everything on this station objectively inferior to main station gear will be a good way to ensure it doesn't become just another loot pinata as there is not really anything worth stealing. Not to mention that barring the arrival of outside invaders they would not have much use for disablers or tasers anyway
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309246

Wyzack wrote:I think keeping everything on this station objectively inferior to main station gear will be a good way to ensure it doesn't become just another loot pinata as there is not really anything worth stealing. Not to mention that barring the arrival of outside invaders they would not have much use for disablers or tasers anyway
1. Amazing, love it
2. That's what I was getting at, they only really need lasers.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309248

Exactly, the most useful thing on the station would be the RnD set up but even then that's not that great. There's no chemistry dispenser as well, only a bunch of beakers that have the base chemicals and a Chem Master.

There should be nothing on the station that is worth looting since everything should either be already very common, or inferior to what you can get on station.

E: Posted update station image in my above post in case you missed it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309249

I had a hivebot rework that i gave up on but i'm sure zee might want a go at it because he's learning how to code right now
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309253

Right now I'm just dumping tons of Hivebots around the Research Station.
Spoiler:
I've effected two changes to the Hivebots.

Firstly the "strong" Hivebot variant uses the Golden Hivebot sprites to better denote it. Secondly the "ranged" varient has had its arms ripped off and replaced with two guns, to show it is a ranged Hivebot.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #309254

Don't regular hivebots have weak guns?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309256

No they don't, that's the 'ranged' variant that has the weak guns.

However I believe that is the Hivebot variant that is spawned in on Xenobio.

The 'strong' Hivebots have 80 health (from 15) and are also ranged.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309258

I'm no Hydroponic expert.

What would the minimum necessary items be needed to ensure Hydro can work. So long as you can plant food, grow it, and keep the Hydro Trays from being ruined by weeds or something.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309259

Steelpoint wrote:I'm no Hydroponic expert.

What would the minimum necessary items be needed to ensure Hydro can work. So long as you can plant food, grow it, and keep the Hydro Trays from being ruined by weeds or something.
Dirt plots!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309261

Dirt plots are fine, only issue is I don't want the crew's plots to die forever because of something they can't fix. It should work but it should not be easy, or even viable, to make anything exotic.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #309271

A sustainable source of water (sink) and anything sustainable with high nutritional value (smear large plump caps/blood/food on the crops for compost) OR a biogenerator.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309272

By the way, I have a way better strong hivebot sprite for you. I'll send it later today
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #309273

I think the botany vending machines, dirt plots, a water source and a seed extractor are all you really need I think. The other botany machines can be made in R&D, if the crew went to be able to manufacture utility belts or anything like that, they have to build it.
I think there should be some gold, silver and plasma sheets on the hivebot ship. You could easily get the uranium from the generator as soon as you were done with it.

There could be a few firing pins in the blasted out sections to find that could be used to make some functional weaponry from the research lab but not enough to give everyone who can spawn one, forcing people to decide who gets what.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309274

The hardsuit guy should be the champion of the people.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #309275

For absolute bare-bones botany all you really need is a water source and a handheld seed machine, as well as some seeds and plants to get you started. You can use plants containing nutriment to provide nutrition for your growing plants
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #309350

Wyzack wrote:For absolute bare-bones botany all you really need is a water source and a handheld seed machine, as well as some seeds and plants to get you started. You can use plants containing nutriment to provide nutrition for your growing plants
Weeds such as harebells need to be present if you want to have plant based fertilizer only. Harebells only need water to grow, where mushroom plants need only fertilizer.

so give them some harebell seeds and a pile of various other seeds and they should be good to go.

I suggest poppys for bicaridine, grapes that they can mutate into green grapes or ambrosia for kelotane, and reishi for the charcoal.

That gives the botany a side benefit of being the only way to replenish medicine as well as produce food items.

Also tower caps can be mutated into steel caps for extra metal, the only limit then is welding fuel, but if they get an autolathe that limit goes away.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309392

I'll take all these suggestions into account as I work on the map.

The Hivebot ship will be where most of the extra minerals are kept sans some Metal and Glass in RnD to start off with.
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #309418

Concept sounds a lot like OS13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309419

Mark9013100 wrote:Concept sounds a lot like OS13.
Partially correct.

I've wanted to do a Space Spawn Ruin for quite some time but I was struggling with a unique concept, as well as a ruin that would not just be 'loot central' like Deep Storage. OS13 served as inspiration due to the overall concept that the station crew start with sub-par gear and are under some threat to overcome.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309480

Progress marches on, even if slowly.

I've done a second pass on Central Station to add the basic necessities to each room, for the most part. I've not yet hit the 'beautification' stage where I make things moody and fitting the theme.
Spoiler:
I'll also talk about a few items I've added.

First, the two Laser Guns in security (east side), those two laser guns are described as a Older Generation lasergun, meaning in game they can only hold five laser rounds before running out of a charge, not the usual twelve.

The single helmet and armour vest you see in security is also slightly different. Described as 'degrading armor/helmet', they provide the same protection a normal sec vest provides, however the vest has a slowdown of one, and the helmet has a similar tint effect as a wielding mask. This is due to the one hundred year old degradation of the items. Taking the one suit of armour makes you far stronger against the Hivebots, but it'll slow you down and decrease your visibility.

I'm also tempted to thrown in one or two Backpacks, but to reduce their maximum storage space to three or four slots instead of the usual seven. If I could I would even toy with the idea of making it that you can't take items out of your backpack so long as its on your back, you would have to put the bag on the floor or in your hand to take something out.

Either way, progress marches on. Please take a overview of my Botany (The water tank has 1000 units of water, not 10,000ish), Kitchen and Engineering set ups in terms of equipment and viability/difficulty.

Edit: All the papers you see on computers and similar are intend as instructions/hints to the players on where to go and what to do in a general sense. The paper in the Cyro room informs the survivors of a threat to the station and to report to the bridge ASAP for further instructions, old instructions but instructions nonetheless.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #309494

Like the limited water. I makes getting a chem dispenser ASAP for water a major goal, and makes power the primary resource for all production.

Hoping for a bit more seed variety, There should be a seed vendor somewhere, or at least the parts to build one.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #309495

I like this idea alot, hope to see it ingame.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309496

Mark9013100 wrote:I like this idea alot, hope to see it ingame.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309498

In terms of seeds on offer the seeds in Botany at the start are : Hareball, Carrot, Potato, Ambrosia Vul, Poppy and Grape seeds. Taken from above suggestions, time will tell if its too much or too little (leaning to much but I think its fair). I don't know what is considered a lot of, and too little of, Water as I want the Water constraints for Botany to be quite significant that they do need to secure a Chem machine to get access to a water supply, which of course they will need to research once they secure the Research Station (tempted to put the RnD boards in the Hivebot ship so you have to secure it entirely before you can do research.

I'll consider placing a seed vendor board somewhere on the Research station.

Progress continues but I'll post a more thorough update when I have more to show. One little thing I finished is the Prototype Energy Gun, which can fire ten laser rounds (five more than the station's laser guns), or a single stun round.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309502

I urge you to add an overheating mechanic to that, I think fun mechanics working with old machinery is fun a lot more than just "This is a x but it does less"
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309505

Overheating is a concept that is beyond my coding abilities, which is near non-existent. If someone were to code a system I would gladly use it.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #309511

Steelpoint wrote:Overheating is a concept that is beyond my coding abilities, which is near non-existent. If someone were to code a system I would gladly use it.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... gatling.dm

This has an example of an overheating mechanic you can use.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309524

Wake up, its time for the real nightmare to begin.

Edit:

The station stirs to life once more since one hundred years ago.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #309573

I'm not sure how it's done but metastation 's CE Office has buttons that can toggle the blastdoors outside of it. You might have to ask some of the other mappers how those buttons work.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309784

I think I fixed it, I was using the wrong kind of button somehow.....
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309786

Anyway, I hopefully should have this mostly finished within twenty four hours. If all goes well.

I'll have to double check if this is fine to propose as a PR during the freeze, but I think I'm fine.

Once I've finished the map I'll post a full image of it to garner feedback on its design and similar.

Edit: One thing I'm doing is hiding the Solar Array assembiles around the station to a minor extent. Most of them are found easily within the Central Station but some are hiding in space (in logical places) and similar. So you have to do some hunting to get all the arrays.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #309796

Please finish and PR this soon!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309799

I intend to, I want to start making the station look "nice", by nice I mean even more abandoned. I'll post a picture in eight or more hours of my station to garner feedback, then I'll PR it.

It'll likely see balance work done to it after the fact should it be accepted and merged, likely to make it more challenging or to fix something I overlooked.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309928

Progress marches on.
  • Atmospherics is fully functional, so long as you repair and restore power to the remains of atmospherics, this is really important to get air back into areas with no air.
  • The Hivebots present a sufficient level of threat as of now, it can vary depending on where they clump up however. At minimum the entry area to Delta Station is mostly a safe zone, since there's only one hivebot in that room.
  • I fixed the button lockdown issue. Now in order to open the blast doors to Charlie Station (starting area) you have to get power on via the backup gen, then go to the bridge to lift the lockdown.
  • Sadly I can't get a overheat mechanic for the egun to work at this time.
  • I've reduced the amount of starting Uranium from 20 to 10 stacks, this should force the crew to move quickly to get the Solar Array online. I've also hidden more Solar Array assemblies, glass and cables around Charlie station to encourage exploration to expand the solar array.
I hope to get this PR ready soon. I'll post a overall image when I'm satisfied with the layout and appearance.

Edit: I'm leaving a trail of paper reports around the station. They give hints as to not only what the crew should be doing to start fixing this mess, but they give some background on the station but also what exactly caused the crew to go into cyro, and why they were trapped in cyro for over one hundred years.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309942

Here is a overmap view of the station thus far, when the power is on. (Click it see it slightly better)
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #309944

Top left, there's a ladder tube.
It shouldn't exist, it's one too many.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309945

Its to allow people to cross over the tubes, I don't see the issue.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #309946

The one on it's own in space.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #309947

Yeah that was a left over from earlier, I removed it. Still a WIP since I want to accessorise the station a bit.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #310015

Spoiler:
TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT BIG GUY
I just think it would look better than the yellow ones
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #310195

I'll use that sprite, thanks. Also a Hivebot PR is using the old Sprite for the Engineering Hivebots.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #310215

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #310219

love it keep up the great work
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #312141

So after a few rounds, the engineer could use a pair of gloves, not really easy to wire solars when you get shocked when you connect a wire each time.

edit: also a mirror somewhere would be cool
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #312142

no mirror actually makes me angry
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #312143

also the hardsuit is slower than the spacesuiiiiiiiit and the sound effect should be more like robotic servos!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #312176

I'll add an mirrior next.

I forgot to set the NASA Suit to be slower than the Prototype RIG Hardsuit, I'll amend that.

The sound affect unfortunately is all I could find that was fitting.