How do we stop latejoiners from ruining everything?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Re: How do we stop latejoiners from ruining everything?

Post by Hathkar » #345939

Bottom post of the previous page:

Are latejoin antags actually a thing? I keep hearing about them, but have never gotten to be one, or seen one.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #345948

Hathkar wrote:Are latejoin antags actually a thing? I keep hearing about them, but have never gotten to be one, or seen one.
Yes, its entirely possible to arrive on station as a traitor with objectives after the round has already started. Happens pretty frequently. Even in rounds where I intentionally late join to ~avoid~ an antag roll without having to toggle all of my antag settings for one round.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #346099

Probably the most affected round type historically is blob because late join worms delight in keeping the number of blobs spawned to 1.

As for "filling roles" we have a HOP for that and having a lot of jobs set to low + random job if can't get preference option almost ensures you fill an empty job slot.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #346174

Incomptinence wrote:As for "filling roles" we have a HOP for that and having a lot of jobs set to low + random job if can't get preference option almost ensures you fill an empty job slot.
I'd rather just spawn with the ID and starting gear than deal with the HoP and then have to fish up the gear I'd have spawned with after waiting 3 seconds before joining.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #348704

Do you people honestly risk not being several of the roundstart antags just to cuck the least enjoyable (now side) antag?

really?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #348724

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:Do you people honestly risk not being several of the roundstart antags just to cuck the least enjoyable (now side) antag?

really?
You forget that blob is one of maybe two antags that actually require crew cooperation to "beat." Our playerbase hates few things more than cooperation.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #348726

cedarbridge wrote:
ExcessiveJMadison wrote:Do you people honestly risk not being several of the roundstart antags just to cuck the least enjoyable (now side) antag?

really?
You forget that blob is one of maybe two antags that actually require crew cooperation to "beat." Our playerbase hates few things more than cooperation.
pretty much this, cooperation is not able to be used
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #348731

There's no way this is a widespread thing that people opt out of antags to cuck an antag that may/may not exist
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #348773

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:There's no way this is a widespread thing that people opt out of antags to cuck an antag that may/may not exist
I don't play anymore and even I know the classic latejoin meme, it went down after we added latejoin antags to fuck with these people but once roundstart pop scaling became a thing for shit like nuke and cults and blob and revs it picked up again
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #349994

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/31560 it was merged, folks.

No excuse not to roundstart join now
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #350006

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:There's no way this is a widespread thing that people opt out of antags to cuck an antag that may/may not exist
It doesn't even have to be purposeful. If a nuke op team gets balanced for 30 players and 10 more sign up (they connected late, they were afk in lobby, they were kicked back to lobby because they didn't get the job they wanted, whatever) before they get to the station they got shortchanged pretty hard. This is even more pronounced with clock cult since they have a 40 minute timer.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #350007

If that's the case, how about 'late join antagonists' for Nuke Ops and similar?

For example, say the round starts with the bare minimum to spawn a Op team, but over the next five minutes fifteen more people join the station.

So the system could, when someone joins the station, actually take one of those new people and make them a Nuke Op. Furthermore the game could, after five minutes, spawn extra Telecrystals after five minutes based on how many more people joined. I'd assume after five minutes the system stops checking new spawns.

Add a check to warn the Ops not to rush off before the five minute mark incase a new member joins and it might work?

If somehow dozens of people are intentionally delaying joining a round by five minutes to deny a antagonist some boost, then that's indicative of a bigger problem.

Alternatively go the Lifeweb route and anyone who joins after round start get thrown into some wasteland/lavaland with minimal gear.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #350012

How about random sleeper cells (Random crewmembers) awake if latejoiners flow in. Thus they get a prompt to help or assist, or distract security while the strike team infiltrates.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #350279

D&B wrote:How about random sleeper cells (Random crewmembers) awake if latejoiners flow in. Thus they get a prompt to help or assist, or distract security while the strike team infiltrates.
Because then it becomes stealth op Jr and you'll see these sleeper agents stealing the disk on their own and handing it to the ops
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #350283

Yakumo_Chen wrote:
D&B wrote:How about random sleeper cells (Random crewmembers) awake if latejoiners flow in. Thus they get a prompt to help or assist, or distract security while the strike team infiltrates.
Because then it becomes stealth op Jr and you'll see these sleeper agents stealing the disk on their own and handing it to the ops
Sounds funny
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #350813

This kind of change is going to take a grounds-up approach and restructuring of how you handle your rounds, respawning, and how you work late-joining. In effect, changing the game in a massive way.
You'll have better luck tackling the problem on a new piece of ground, Kor, rather than trying to brainstorm on how to fix this place when almost any change is going to be a battle just because the place thrives off of conflict.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #350823

Datum antags will fix it